Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some calcs of Specs Goodra against the bulkiest special walls:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 274-324 (65.23 - 77.14%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 217-256 (53.71 - 63.36%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Gastrodon: 274-324 (64.31 - 76.05%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 265-313 (73 - 86.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 324-382 (69.97 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Celebi: 256-302 (63.36 - 74.75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 256-302 (63.36 - 74.75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 264-312 (68.57 - 81.03%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Focus Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 248-292 (61.38 - 72.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latias Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 172-204 (43.65 - 51.77%) -- 74.22% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This means only Jellicent and Chansey/Blissey can survive 2 attacks from specs Goodra. This makes Goodra a fantastic specs user, with max HP investment and it's great special bulk you can easily switch in on electric, grass, fire and water attacks, and fire off power attacks. You might think Specs Goodra is outclassed by Hydreigon or Latios/Latias, but Goodra doesn't have Hydreigons garbage dark typing and has way more special bulk. What Goodra has over Latios/Latias is a way better movepool (Focus Blast, Fire Blast and Sludge Bomb). Goodra also isn't pursuit weak like Latias/Latios.

The problem is it doesn't fit an obvious role. Its stats lend itself to being a Special Wall, but its typing and moveset don't help it play that part very obviously.

I just had another impromptu battle with it, running simply what I slapped onto it in-game: Dragon Pulse, Outrage, Thunderbolt, Muddy Water.

Nothing special, right? Well what's been happening is it gets easy switch-ins due to its massive Special Defense and common resistances. What happens then is people don't switch out their Special based Pokemon, thinking that Goodra, another 'Special based' Pokemon, doesn't have the offenses to threaten their Special Defense.

Then BAM! I use Outrage and get a one or two hit KO. They underestimated Goodra's attack and left their own defense wide open.

So what I'm thinking is, Goodra's strength isn't necessarily it's typing or stats, but it's unpredictability. It may not be the best at what it does, but it can run many offensive, defensive and stall sets. And in this way it's a Pokemon that fills a hole in your team more than one that you build around.

What do you think? Want to solve the puzzle of what to do with this guy.

I like a set consisting of Infestation | Draco Meteor | Rest | Rain Dance. It can just pound away shit, switch out, do it again.
I assume you would have a Hydration Goodra then, but I'm not sure Rain Dance is really needed. I'd prefer Toxic since Infestation + Toxic will almost wipe out any pokémon in 4 turns without even attacking and the only types to resist Dragon are Fairy and Steel. I think I'll run Draco Meteor with Rest, Toxic and Infestation, not sure on what item though.

A set like that would leave only Steel to counter (resists Dragon, immune to Poison) and will avoid being locked into Taunt. Obviously a Fairy type would force you out though.

Any dedicated Infestation set sounds like it'd become completely worthless once the enemy figures it out as long as they have anything Toxic-safe that they can switch in whenever Goodra hits the field. There's a reason trapping moves aren't too popular.

You do overestimate Sap Sipper. No one will expect it because Goopy and Hydration are simply better in most cases.
It's gooEy (taken from serebii), and I also prefer gooey. It goes like this: gooey>sap sipper>hydration. Hydration simply won't work with the rain nerf and isn't to good in most cases anyway. Sap sipper is useful, but is really just not as good as gooey. See, gooey negates this pokemon's poor defense because a majority of physical moves make contact. That aside, no matter what you have, no one will hit you with contact moves, grass type moves or rain dance.

Any dedicated Infestation set sounds like it'd become completely worthless once the enemy figures it out as long as they have anything Toxic-safe that they can switch in whenever Goodra hits the field. There's a reason trapping moves aren't too popular.
Except this gen if you can keep alive they strip off half the foe's health at minimum. Not bad.

Also, it seems the entire internet is questioning whether it is Gooey or Goopy, and don't go disregarding Hydration - you can get 6 turns of Hydrorest easily, and that isn't to be forgotten about.

I think Infestation sets are probably the best way to go for Goodra. As an offensive Dragon, it faces a lot of competition from other Dragons like Latias. Infestation gives it a niche that no other Dragons have. It would probably be more worthwhile to invest in physical bulk rather than special considering that Goodra's SDef is already massive. For example, running Bold 252/252 on Goodra turns CB Scizor's Bullet Punch from a 2HKO to a 3HKO.

Honestly, I actually don't like hydration as much since drizzle only lasts 5 turns (8 with damp rock politoed which is what you should be doing if rain dance teaming).

So basically unless you are running a dedicated rain dance team, I think Goodra is more of a wall breaker. Similar to Latias but slightly slower with more bulk.

Last gen, one of Hydreigon's most effective sets was Life Orb Super Power, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Roost. It has so much coverage and allowed it to nuke walls in one or two hits. It wasn't the fastest but had quite a bit of bulk.

Now Goodra seems to fit the bill. 80 speed is pretty slow, but definitely capable of out speeding many things if invested. Also you could choose to max hp and it could definitely be a good off-tank capable of dishing out damage.
Goodra has about the same base Sp Atk as Latias, and that thing was considered a wrecking ball, don't see why people are calling 110 base sp atk with a choice specs draco meteor weak offensive.

I feel like infestation is a good option for a set, but it definitely is not making the most of its stats (opportunity cost for those who know what that is). Also I believe moves like infest and whirlpool last between 2-5 turns. 2-5 turns will get barely anything done especially with how unpredictable it is. In 1 turn choice specs meteor will take out a good 2/3 - 100% of most walls' hp.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Honestly, I actually don't like hydration as much since drizzle only lasts 5 turns (8 with damp rock politoed which is what you should be doing if rain dance teaming).

So basically unless you are running a dedicated rain dance team, I think Goodra is more of a wall breaker. Similar to Latias but slightly slower with more bulk.

Last gen, one of Hydreigon's most effective sets was Life Orb Super Power, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Roost. It has so much coverage and allowed it to nuke walls in one or two hits. It wasn't the fastest but had quite a bit of bulk.

Now Goodra seems to fit the bill. 80 speed is pretty slow, but definitely capable of out speeding many things if invested. Also you could choose to max hp and it could definitely be a good off-tank capable of dishing out damage.
Goodra has about the same base Sp Atk as Latias, and that thing was considered a wrecking ball, don't see why people are calling 110 base sp atk with a choice specs draco meteor weak offensive.

I feel like infestation is a good option for a set, but it definitely is not making the most of its stats (opportunity cost for those who know what that is). Also I believe moves like infest and whirlpool last between 2-5 turns. 2-5 turns will get barely anything done especially with how unpredictable it is. In 1 turn choice specs meteor will take out a good 2/3 - 100% of most walls' hp.
Goodra is simply outclassed as a wallbreaker by many others, like Hydreigon as you already mentioned. By the way, partial trapping moves like Infestation last 4-5 turns, they were buffed to that number Gen 5, and now the damage was buffed here in Gen 6. Using Infestation along with defensive investment is honestly my favorite Goodra set, and you can use Rest + Rain Dance yourself and have instant full recovery and status immunity for 4 turns. Did I mention that Infestation + Toxic is guaranteed to kill any non-Poison or Steel type in exactly 4 turns? That's why I think Infestation trapping is Goodra's niche over other Dragons that could be better wallbreakers.

Goopy is still a very interesting ability alongside full defense investment though, if for nothing else than a "panic button" to slow down a physical sweeper.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
It's gooEy (taken from serebii), and I also prefer gooey. It goes like this: gooey>sap sipper>hydration. Hydration simply won't work with the rain nerf and isn't to good in most cases anyway. Sap sipper is useful, but is really just not as good as gooey. See, gooey negates this pokemon's poor defense because a majority of physical moves make contact. That aside, no matter what you have, no one will hit you with contact moves, grass type moves or rain dance.
Rain lasts for five turns. I don't know if damp rock works with drizzle but it could last even longer if this is the case. I fail to see how it "won't work".

Goodra certainly has the offenses to be a wallbreaker but it's outclassed by the multitude of offensive Dragons. Why would you use Goodra over Latias, which has similar bulk but higher speed, Calm Mind, and Roost? Infestation gives Goodra a niche over other offensive Dragons.

I was thinking of a set along the lines of:

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Protect / Rest

Flamethrower deals with Steel types that are immune to Toxic. Full physical defense investment is better than special imo, since Goodra already has a massive base 150 SDef. It also works well alongside Gooey.

So far, it seems that my Infestation sets are doing quite well with you guys. Huzzah!
It feels a lot like old Curselax used to. It keeps good pressure while keeping itself healthy and gets momentum quick. Much like Curselax had issues with ghosts, Infest Goodra has problems with Steels (You would have to reapply Infestation to kill them in 6 turns with Binding Band which is doable at least). I have HP and Def EVs with a SpD nature, which feels strong all around, but I'm not sure if it's the most optimal way to build it.

I feel like I need a really strong Earthquake user to help cover Aegis, SB Blaziken (only doing in-game wifi and it's everywhere), MegaGar and a few other common threats popping up everywhere and Goodra can handle pretty much any other issue but I'm not sold on any since most from last gen were Sandstorm dependent.

Checks and Counters : Depending on that last moveset, the Pokemon that can switch in on Goodra differ greatly. However in terms of Checking it, it's quite simple. It's extremely frail on the Physical end of the spectrum and will be either 2HKO'd if not straight up OHKO'd by the physical move. Anything faster than Goodra that packs a strong physical move or a powerful Special Attack such as Latios' Draco Meteor should be more than enough to scare out or KO Goodra.
I don't think 80/80 physical bulk constitutes "extremely frail". It's not particularly impressive either, but it's certainly useable. It could tank a TankChomp's Dragon Claw without any defensive investment, which given the fact it is weak to the move, isn't bad at all.

You guys are really selling me on these Infestation sets. Infestation/Toxic/Protect seem to be the standard on the sets, so I think it's the stat distribution for these sets that warrants the most discussion. Max HP EVs (Don't know if it should really be max as it may not be a Leftovers number) are a given.

Basically, we need to decide if we should be going Bold Nature with max Defense EVs or Calm Nature with Max SpDef EVs. Maybe some combination of the two? The last move is also up for debate. I've seen Flamethrower, Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, and Rest as options.

Another thing that just occurred to me (this may have already been brought up) is that if they bring in something, probably a Steel type, to attempt to wall this set, and you hit them with Infestation on the switch in, they can't switch back out next turn, even if you do. (I hope this is how it works. It seems to be the most likely result, but no one uses moves like this, so it's hard to test) This eliminates the possibility of double switches, meaning they absolutely have to stay in and use a move, even if you switch out the next turn. Pairing this guy with Magnezone (as I imagine most switch ins would be Steel type) or something with Shadow Tag could do some serious work.

That actually sounds retardedly powerful. Like uncounter-able powerful.

Goodra comes out, use infestation. Then switch to counter and take em out.
Rinse and repeat.
What I'm most worried about is Scizor and VoltTurn in general, although Goodra's ability to pack Fire moves should help to stop Scizor if the switch is predictable, and Goodra can probably take Volt Switches all day with its SpDef and Leftovers recovery. I guess it's mostly a matter of what they switch into. Dang, now I'm actually getting pretty hype to try this out.

At the very least this set is going to need some partner that can deal with other Dragons, who would otherwise slaughter Goodra before Infestation + Toxic could rack up, and easily muscle their way through other trappers that could be partnered with it. I'm thinking Azumarill.

Assault Vest also seems like a good way to distinguish Goodra from the other Dragons. It has a huge offensive movepool and lacks decent setup/recovery moves (from what we know so far). Molk posted some calculations on just how bulky Goodra is on the special side with Assault Vest. Gooey will make physical attackers think twice before coming after Goodra's weaker physical defense since a lot of physical moves make contact.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Trait: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast / Sludge Bomb

This set has excellent type coverage, hitting 10/18 types super-effectively if you use Focus Blast. Sludge Bomb for Fairies but Thunderbolt also hits Azumarril and Togekiss super-effectively, which are the best Fairies.

Earthquake could also work in the last slot for a more reliable option against Heatran. Goodra also gets Ice Beam but it doesn't provide much more coverage than the above moves.

Last edited:
Assault Vest also seems like a good way to distinguish Goodra from the other Dragons. It has a huge offensive movepool and lacks decent setup/recovery moves (from what we know so far). Molk posted some calculations on just how bulky Goodra is on the special side with Assault Vest. Gooey will make physical attackers think twice before coming after Goodra's weaker physical defense since a lot of physical moves make contact.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Trait: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Sludge Bomb

Focus Blast provides the best super-effective coverage for the last slot but then you're walled by Azumarril. I believe Thunderbolt grants the set perfect neutral coverage and has the nice BoltBeam combo. Sludge Bomb for Fairies but then Heatran walls this set.

A Ground-type move in the last slot would also provide excellent coverage. Earthquake is an option but it would force Goodra to sacrifice some bulk. Has anyone tried breeding Earth Power onto Goodra (if it's even possible)?
In the Assault Vest thread, some guy Calc'd a specifically EV'd Goodra vs 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios's Draco Meteor. It survives. IT SURVIVES.

Last edited:
If goodra is confirmed to have recover, he will be set for life in OU.

I really like the Assault Vest set, Goodra can be offensive and defensive at the same time and with that insanely wide movepool, Goodra is nothing to be laughed at.

Been seeing a lot of Goodra sets. I enjoy the infestation set the most, so here I go:

Goodra:
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Moves:
Infestation
Toxic
Protect / Rest
Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave / Fire Blast / Draco Meteor

Infestation is Goodra's main trapping move, which keeps whichever Pokemon it hits trapped, so Goodra can take advantage of it. Toxic poisons the target for extra residual damage. Protect gives Infestation and Toxic a free turn to build up, while Rest could potentially give Goodra full health again by the time the Pokemon is KO'ed (though Protect is more recommended, due to consistency). Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave (pick your poison, pun entirely intended) and Fire Blast give Goodra coverage against his most potential threats, and Draco Meteor gives him a powerful STAB, while sacrificing essential coverage. Goodra needs to watch out for Play Rough Azumarill, which can wreck Goodra if the Azumarill is switched in on the Infestation. Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave can help eliminate this annoying threat. Goodra also needs to watch out for Ferrothorn and other dominant steel types such as Scizor, Jirachi, etc., who aren't affected by Toxic and are resistant to Infestation, therefore being immune to the combo. Fire Blast can eliminate these annoying threats too. Draco Meteor can provide Goodra with a powerful STAB option, though it isn't recommended, because this set isn't reliant on sweeping, and will also leave Goodra with no coverage against steel types, and helpless against Play Rough Azumarill, which would completely stomp over Goodra.

Been seeing a lot of Goodra sets. I enjoy the infestation set the most, so here I go:

Goodra:
Moves:
Infestation
Toxic
Protect / Rest

Infestation is Goodra's main trapping move, which keeps whichever Pokemon it hits trapped, so Goodra can take advantage of it. Toxic poisons the target for extra residual damage. Protect gives Infestation and Toxic a free turn to build up, while Rest could potentially give Goodra full health again by the time the Pokemon is KO'ed (though Protect is more recommended, due to consistency). Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave (pick your poison, pun entirely intended) and Fire Blast give Goodra coverage against his most potential threats, and Draco Meteor gives him a powerful STAB, while sacrificing essential coverage. Goodra needs to watch out for Play Rough Azumarill, which can wreck Goodra if the Azumarill is switched in on the Infestation. Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave can help eliminate this annoying threat. Goodra also needs to watch out for Ferrothorn and other dominant steel types such as Scizor, Jirachi, etc., who aren't affected by Toxic and are resistant to Infestation, therefore being immune to the combo. Fire Blast can eliminate these annoying threats too. Draco Meteor can provide Goodra with a powerful STAB option, though it isn't recommended, because this set isn't reliant on sweeping, and will also leave Goodra with no coverage against steel types, and helpless against Play Rough Azumarill, which would completely stomp over Goodra.
I would take Fire Blast over the others for the simple reason that Toxic doesn't work on Poison or Steel types. So you want coverage on them so they don't wall you. Also Goodra can probably afford to miss a few Fire Blasts due to accuracy. If you're worried about Azumarill coming in just switch out to something that can take the fairy hit or throw out Toxic if you predict the switch to start the timer on how long he can stay in. I wouldn't use a moveslot to just counter one pokemon when the slot could be used to prevent you from getting walled.

Riiiight, so has anyone thought of using Infestation offensively? It just seems as if something as offensively oriented (and slow!) as Goodra would appreciate eased predictions. I was thinking about something along the lines of:

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration / Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SAttk / 140 Spd
Modest Nature
- Infestation
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Earthquake

Honestly, I really dislike the notion that a HydraRest and / or Toxic must be abused for Infestation to be of any use. With this set, Goodra can trap certain targets, and either go for a guaranteed KO, or allow another teammate to switch in and possibly set up without fear of a crafty double switch from the opposition. The EVs provided (using this thread's stats, as the stats on Smogon have had quite a bit of time to "ferment" and settle out) allow Goodra to always OHKO specially defensive Nattorei (Infestation damage overwhelms Leftovers recovery, but due to the possibility not needing to use Infestation, I'd used this the offensive benchmark) and while retaining a good amount of Speed and bulk. I'd made Sludge Bomb the first slash due to the likely prominence of Fairies; coming off of Goodra's Special Attack, Sludge Bomb is bound to dent most of them. Earthquake can be used to do away with Heatran, which 2HKOes any variant, even with a -Attack nature, but its coverage is limited to just that (and Mega Gengar, I suppose, but who cares about that monstrosity?). Alternatively, a Quiet nature can be used, and the Speed EVs can be shifted to Attack. This gives Florges the ability to run things like Power Whip and Outrage, the former being very much capable of 2HKOing 252/0 Tyranitar after SR with the aforementioned Attack investment. If status is really a problem, then run a cleric. Roserade can do just that and even provide Toxic Spikes support, which can quickly rack up damage alongside Infestation. There's also Florges, Chansey / Blissey, and Celebi, if you're really desperate for healing off status. Similarly, Wish support is helpful for Goodra, but due to the offensive nature of this set, it isn't really necessary.

Finally, if Goodra gets Recover from Milotic, like I'd desperately hoped, this set could be pretty good on stall; from my experiences with stall, it's very beneficial to lessen the amount of predictions made, and with Goodra's fabulous defensive typing, offensive capabilities, and, of course, Infestation, it can do just that. As already mentioned, Toxic Spikes can make this set shine, as the added passive damage [on Fairies] will quickly show. I mean, if my dreams do come true, then a spread of 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef with a Calm nature can work; that spread prevents Timid LO Heatran from ever 2HKOing with Dragon Pulse (which was nerfed to 85 BP, thankfully) after SR, allowing Goodra to tank a couple of hits from it, and slowly wear it down though a combination of Infestation and LO recoil.

Last edited:
I would take Fire Blast over the others for the simple reason that Toxic doesn't work on Poison or Steel types. So you want coverage on them so they don't wall you. Also Goodra can probably afford to miss a few Fire Blasts due to accuracy. If you're worried about Azumarill coming in just switch out to something that can take the fairy hit or throw out Toxic if you predict the switch to start the timer on how long he can stay in. I wouldn't use a moveslot to just counter one pokemon when the slot could be used to prevent you from getting walled.
Me too. I just listed it as an option though for completeness.

Riiiight, so has anyone thought of using Infestation offensively? It just seems as if something as offensively oriented (and slow!) as Goodra would appreciate eased predictions. I was thinking about something along the lines of:

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration / Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SAttk / 140 Spd
Modest Nature
- Infestation
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Earthquake
I'm curious, 'cos I like the look of this set, but is there any mileage at all in running Assault Vest with it, or is Leftovers recovery too essential if you're looking to hang around and rack up damage from Infestation/potential Sludge Bomb poisoning/burns?

Assault Vest and four attacks looks like it could be very fun. 252 HP/252 Special Attack: Dragon Pulse, Fire Blast, Sludge Bomb, Muddy Water could be a really sweet offensive tank. Its movepool gives it just enough coverage to warrant the assault vest. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I guess Bold and max defense could work, but that special attack needs all the investment it can get and Gooey can force switches and revenge kills!

Goodra:
Moves:
Infestation
Toxic
Protect / Rest

This set need more speed to be able to trap the threats it needs to trap. If a Pokemon is faster Goodra, they can easily switch out before Goodra can trap them and send out something that would threaten Goodra or mess with Goodra's main strategy ToxicTrap (Steels and Poison), which defeats the whole purpose of TrapStall Goodra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)