Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a goodra and it works perfectly!

Nature: modest.
Ability: Sap sipper
Item: choice specs
Moves: Draco meteor, thunderbolt, fire blast sludge wave.

EV's 252 HP/252 special attack/4 special defence.

The reason you'd use this over hyderigon is because of goodra's incredible special defence and the fact that he gets thunder bolt and sludge wave to deal with bulky water types and fairies. Choice specs gives him a huge boost and give Draco meteor crazy ass power. Thunderbolt 2HKO's bulky water types and fire blast is there for steel types. I used sap sipper cause the immunity to spore and sleep powder is always nice.

Pair with a vaporeon to take all those nasty ice beams while goodra absorbs grass and electric attacks it can't stomach and have vaporeon use wish to restore goodra's HP.

Stuff to watch out for: Garchomp will outspeed and thrash him with a dragon claw. (outrage isn't avalible on chomp yet) haxours dragonite and hyderigon do the same thing really. These guys gotta be careful on switching into Draco meteor and they will take a huge amount of damage from switching into sludge wave even garchomp who resits poison needs to be careful switching in

This set need more speed to be able to trap the threats it needs to trap. If a Pokemon is faster Goodra, they can easily switch out before Goodra can trap them and send out something that would threaten Goodra or mess with Goodra's main strategy ToxicTrap (Steels and Poison), which defeats the whole purpose of TrapStall Goodra.
They could switch out and send out a more threatening Pokemon against Goodra no matter what his speed was; it doesn't make a difference. Goodra's speed is okay, but a bit too low to invest in. He's much better off going defensive, since he's gonna need it to ToxicTrap.

This set need more speed to be able to trap the threats it needs to trap. If a Pokemon is faster Goodra, they can easily switch out before Goodra can trap them and send out something that would threaten Goodra or mess with Goodra's main strategy ToxicTrap (Steels and Poison), which defeats the whole purpose of TrapStall Goodra.
I can confirm that Goodra is just too slow for something like this. Hydration+Rest+Infestation takes just too long to set up. Even with full EVs, it can't take an Ice Punch more than three times, which is exactly how long it needs to lay Infestation, Rain Dance, then Rest. Unless it gets Recover and you can ditch Hydration for Gooey or Sap Sipper, Goodra's best as a bulky special sweeper--which it'd be amazing at with Assault Vest.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Confirming that Goodra is amazing with Assault Vest. I'd add a bit of spdef to the set though to avoid the 3hko from the water starters Ice Beam. Can't wait to test it in my stall team

Keeping Goodra in against anything with a SE physical attack seems like a bad idea for any set.

ToxicTrap Goodra seems like it would be better off targeting things like Jellicent that would try to switch in and absorb special attacks from an attacking set. It can easily stall out mons like this with HydraRest, or at the very least turn them into set up fodder for something else. If the enemy switches in something faster and threatening that you trap with Infestation, then just switch into a teammate that can deal with it. You don't have to try make Goodra solo everything, because it won't.

ToxicTrap HydraRest Goodra would do really well with teammates who appreciate Rain support, free switch-ins and residual damage, like Azumarill and Scizor. I can definitely see a place for it.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tabuu, you should update this with the moves from the research thread, which I believe is up to date. You're currently missing Dragon Tail and still have Hydro Pump as a possibility, which it isn't. Also, make an Assault Vest set and put that at the top of the OP, as it will almost definitely be the best set. It has enough bulk to tank a Latios's Draco Meteor and KO back with it's own.

252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 216-254 (56.25 - 66.14%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 372-440 (123.58 - 146.17%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Obviously the EVs should be tweaked, but that is a basically how it will go.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
What's your build look like, Stallion?
I've been using the 252 hp/spatk modest version with draco fire blast ib and tbolt, but I think I'm gonna run Sludge Wave over Ice Beam for fairies and add some special defense. Maybe a little bit of speed so it can retaliate first after Gooey

Has anybody considered Muddy Water on it for stuff like Heatran? I guess the low accuracy is a big turn off. I also fail to see the coverage that Ice Beam nets you. I have to say, Gooey can stop last pokemon sweeps really well. I can't think of any abilities that work quite the same way. I like Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse/Fire Blast/Muddy Water/ Sludge Wave because you can hit Fairies and Heatran and Steels and you have the stab you need. It really doesn't make any sense that Goodra doesn't get Surf or Hydro Pump. Something tells me Game Freak was trying to differentiate it from Dragalge but failed and made both pokemon sort of meh.

Stallion

Tree Young
Has anybody considered Muddy Water on it for stuff like Heatran? I guess the low accuracy is a big turn off. I also fail to see the coverage that Ice Beam nets you. I have to say, Gooey can stop last pokemon sweeps really well. I can't think of any abilities that work quite the same way. I like Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse/Fire Blast/Muddy Water/ Sludge Wave because you can hit Fairies and Heatran and Steels and you have the stab you need. It really doesn't make any sense that Goodra doesn't get Surf or Hydro Pump. Something tells me Game Freak was trying to differentiate it from Dragalge but failed and made both pokemon sort of meh.
I'm actually testing Muddy Water now. Goodra doesn't need to worry about hitting Waters with Thunderbolt as it eats them for breakfast as is, so it's certainly an interesting option!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been using the 252 hp/spatk modest version with draco fire blast ib and tbolt, but I think I'm gonna run Sludge Wave over Ice Beam for fairies and add some special defense. Maybe a little bit of speed so it can retaliate first after Gooey
You have no reason to use a Poison move, as Thunderbolt already covers the two relevant Fairy-types in OU, Azumarill and Togekiss.

Stallion

Tree Young
You have no reason to use a Poison move, as Thunderbolt already covers the two relevant Fairy-types in OU, Azumarill and Togekiss.
You'd be surprised how often Flogres and Sylveon have been popping up on PO. Tbolt is probably the better option but it can't hurt to test!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You'd be surprised how often Flogres and Sylveon have been popping up on PO. Tbolt is probably the better option but it can't hurt to test!
Yeah definitely, as people will be using the new Fairy-types a lot, it's just that Thunderbolt covers the best Fairy-types to use atm in OU and lets you use Fire Blast, Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor, and Focus Blast / EQ on the other slots.

Focus Blast is unreliable but it hits Heatran much harder than Muddy Water, as well as other types like Dark and Normal. It's also good for nailing Tyranitar.

imo the best set for Assault Vest Goodra is Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse | Fire Blast | Thunderbolt | Focus Blast. Ice Beam could work over Thunderbolt but Water types are generally more common than Ground. Once the hype around Sylveon and Florges dies down a bit Sludge Wave won't be as useful.

Last edited:
For assault vest goodra, would Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse be better? I'm thinking Dragon pulse cause that drop in spa would hurt pretty bad. Any suggestions?

For assault vest goodra, would Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse be better? I'm thinking Dragon pulse cause that drop in spa would hurt pretty bad. Any suggestions?
I guess it depends on how you plan on using Goodra. Assault Vest Goodra is more of an offensive pivot than an all out attacker imo, so Draco Meteor would be better. It fits the hit and run style better. Dragon Pulse is more reliable but noticeably weaker (it can't OHKO Latios for example).

lol, this thread really did pop off. Never expected so many comments haha~

The OP will be updated when I have the time to do so.
I think Assault Goodra may have found its place in the foreseeable future. Only real issue is a lack of recovery but it should still tank hard.
Assault Vest Goodra probably has a better chance going mixed in my opinion. With a Higher SpA stat yet the superior Physical-Movepool, going mixed on Assault Vest is probably ideal

I guess it depends on how you plan on using Goodra. Assault Vest Goodra is more of an offensive pivot than an all out attacker imo, so Draco Meteor would be better. It fits the hit and run style better. Dragon Pulse is more reliable but noticeably weaker (it can't OHKO Latios for example).
Alright, I'll test out Draco Meteor when I get a chance. What kind of EV spread would you recommend?

Thoughts on this build:

Nature: Bold
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 Def/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
Held Item: Assault Vest
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
Focus Blast/Sludge Wave
Fire Blast

With its essentially high Sp Def, bold nature and the defensive EVs help to patch up that lower defense. Speed EVs do seem out of the question as stated in some posts a page or two before so I figured why not make a total bruiser out of him? Since it doesnt have a healing move on this set, I figure prevention is better than cure in this case and would rather give him major defenses than opt for HP(EVs) or more Sp. Atk(Nature) and the build seems pretty rounded to me. Will be giving this set a test to see how it goes though. Do have a go at this!

Alright, I'll test out Draco Meteor when I get a chance. What kind of EV spread would you recommend?
This is what I've been using and it's working well for me.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Trait: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Maxed out special attack to hit as hard as possible, and max HP to improve overall bulk.

It might be worth adding some speed EVs from HP but I can`t think of anything that Goodra needs to outspeed.

This is what I've been using and it's working well for me.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Trait: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Maxed out special attack to hit as hard as possible, and max HP to improve overall bulk.

It might be worth adding some speed EVs from HP but I can`t think of anything that Goodra needs to outspeed.
Ingame or showdown?

It's unorthodox but you could speed value it to out speed neutral nature base 100's.

I always goes with Dragon Pulse. It mostly depends on the set though. For a HydraRest or this Infestion trapper, Draco Meteor would work for a one-off move to take get rid of bulkier nuisances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)