Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
think it might have a decent enough 100 base atk stat (based off serebii) to run a mix set along with sap sipper. would say a full on physical set but it doesnt have the best physical movepool. so how about this?

248 hp / 100 atk / 152 sp atk / 8 spe
naughty
sap sipper
assult vest/leftovers
-fire blast
-earthquake
-power whip
-draco meteor

its atk lets it get around special walls such as special defensive jirachi since their only 3hko'd by its full power fire blast while its earthquake has a good chance of doing a 2hko after one layer of spikes. while it wreaks heatrans that lack air balloon.

100+ Atk (custom) Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 176-208 (43.56 - 51.48%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO after Spikes

while its power whip lets it nail other sp walls that can switch in on it like assualt vest ttar and 2hko it

100+ Atk (custom) Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 194-230 (48.01 - 56.93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Spikes

those are just 2 walls but if it manages to get a sap sipper boost it would destroy those walls much easier.

+1 100+ Atk (custom) Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 262-310 (64.85 - 76.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Spikes
+1 100+ Atk (custom) Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 290-342 (71.78 - 84.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Spikes

and it still has enough sp atk to get the job done on dragon types. It can take a latias dragon pulse and ko it back. It cant take a draco meteor tho (i think since theres no assualt vest in the damage calc)

152 SpA (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 308-366 (84.61 - 100.54%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

anyway, think its worth looking at

Last edited:
goodra looks like a really interesting option in ou. it has superb spdef, and when combined with assault vest, allows it to avoid a 2hko from starmie's ice beam and a ohko from specs latios's draco meteor. in latios's case, it can ohko back with draco. imo, assault vest is probably one of it's best sets, allowing it to survive extra hits, and it dosen't really seem to miss having status moves anyways. it looks like a somewhat offensive oriented tank since it has quite a few offensive options. i'm looking forward to using it sometime on a stall team.

The thing is that no one here has the information needed to tell what it can do. Like, how will fairy affect it? And what breeding moves does it get, or by prior evolution? Maybe a signature move like spore, appearing on only prior evolutions. We don't know anything yet
Regarding how fairies will affect it.

Offensively, I believe it learns Sludge Bomb, so that's always there. It's true that they wall it's Draco though. No discussion there.

Defensively, anything that takes a Timid Specs fully invested Draco from Latios while being weak to it and surviving with a little less than half of its health will have no problems dealing with Moonblasts and Dazzling Gleams.

I think thunderbolt be better since the most common fairies are togekiss and azumarill. And Kefkli is immune to sludge.

Dragon tail might be usable on the assault vest set since goodra's counters are pretty obvious.

I was running this:

Nature: Bold
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.D
Held Item: Leftovers
-Infestation
-Fire Blast
-Toxic
-Protect

but if I wanted to try something like this instead...

Ability: Gooey
Held Item: Assault Vest
-Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Sludge Bomb
-Thunderbolt

...would I have to rebreed for nature, or would a reset bag suffice? Recommended EV spread?

I just can't decide on which set to use. I like the first one, but the second one seems, I don't know... more effective? Gah, indecision. -_-

I think Assult Vest Goodra is the most effective set at this moment before Recover is confirmed. Modest Nature with a bit of Evs in SATK and give the rest of its EVs to Speed (not necessary but with gooey it seems necessary for a few points to pass some particular base stats), Sdef, HP, and defend to make it an offensive tank. That movepool is really delicious and its a waste if we don't take advantage of it.

Hey guys what's going on? So I've been following the competitive meta for the past 3 years, and been playing within the competitive meta for the past 2 years. I'm just wondering, what are peoples thoughts on running Goodra on a Rain Team? I know with the nerf to weather, the staying power of Goodra may be crippled, but it could be another alternative to Gooey or Sap Sipper, without having to waste a precious coverage slot on rain dance? With the right support and prediction, I imagine the set would maintain some viability? Again the point of this Goodra would be to play to it's strengths, perhaps running assualt vest, while playing a bulky offensive core (tank that still does lots of dmg).

Possible Ev's/Nature:

Option 1: Defensive Core
Ev's: 252 HP; 252 Def; 4 SpD (Or some variation of such - have yet to do the napkin math)

Option 2: Special Def Core
Nature: Calm
Ev's: 252 HP; 48 Def; 208 SpD

Option 3: Mix Offensive Tank
Nature: Naughty
Ev's: 248 HP; 100 Atk; 152 sp atk; 8 Spe / Def / SpD

The moveset would be dependent on the role that you would wish Goodra to fill - it has a vast pool, with great coverage; pick what works best to maximize the Goodra you want to run. Oh and items are entirely subjective too - I like to run Assault Vest or Lefties, but it's entirely up to you.

Just some food for thought; I would really like to know how viable this would be with the proper support on a Drizzle team. I feel that although sap sipper and gooey are both really nice within their own merit, hydration has huge values too. Hydration helps to improve the overall staying power assuming proper support and distribution with rain. However, this is at the sacrifice of previously gained momentum to reapply rain with drizzle when needed (if needed). I still feel that with the high usage of Ttar and Yeti, that having a weather inducer just to counter the oppositions play would still be highly valuable.

If anyone could expand, that would be great!

I'm running
Goodra Hydratation Calm @ - (I can't run Assault Vest ) (I don't use Left beacuse another poke from my team have it and with Rest i think is not useful) (Thinking about the item that allow do more damage the trap moves)
252 HP/252 Sp.Def/6 Def (I think)

Toxic - Infestation - Rain Dance - Rest

I really like use a moveset like that but with goodra Speed is hard to me to use... I use Toxic, Infestation , so Rain Dance and Rest if everything goes well. Then continue with Infestation or Rest. This will be my perfect strategy, but in real this don't works because:

1-I'm don't know what use firts Toxic o Infestation ^^U
2-Infestation: I don't know why this is good because sometimes i only trap only one turn :pirate: )
3-In the 3rd turn, Goodra is death because i can't Rest because my rival is more faster than me)
4-Rest: (Another problem that i have is i think rain dance still for 5 turns, but when i use Rest in the 5th turn goodra don't wake up xD)

I think i need a Damp Rock Lead or something like that because i save to use Rain Dance and if i get lucky i sleep and heal.

Thanks for your help.

Hey mate, if you're encountering issues with in game npcs outspeeding you, it's possible that you may just have a bad speed IV distribution. Toxic and Infest are a great combination together, no doubt, but I feel that without any speed EV investments, and an enabling nature, other poke's would arguably abuse this more (i.e. Scolipede w/Speedboost + toxic spike support or something like that). With that being said, your set isn't bad by any means, but I feel that if you maybe swaped your moveset (minus rest + rain dance (if you're just playing in game and not wifi battling)) for something that would play to Goodras' strengths a little better. One thing to be weary of is that a hydrorestdance toxifest stall will get hard walled by many common threats in the competitive meta, and will be completely dismantled by taunt abusers.

Just some food for thought :). Oh, one more thing before I forget; if you do plan to use hydrorestdance toxifest, then damp rock would be a great item for an in game lead, otherwise you're better off getting a hidden ability poliwag/politoed for weather support.

I think a good set would be a specs modest set with max how or speed . Draco fire blast sludge bomb and rest with hydreition . I now rain got nerfed but you only need one turn of rain to wake up and get fully healed . Goodra would have a niche of being able to run modest unlike latias, has more sp def and can heal and cure itself from status in one turn

I think a good set would be a specs modest set with max how or speed . Draco fire blast sludge bomb and rest with hydreition . I now rain got nerfed but you only need one turn of rain to wake up and get fully healed . Goodra would have a niche of being able to run modest unlike latias, has more sp def and can heal and cure itself from status in one turn
Personally, I wouldn't run rest on any choiced Pokemon. Even when you are fully healed, you are still forced out because you can't do anything else.

Its a solid move for goodra tho , you would only use one turn to fully heal goodra , wake up the same turn and switch so goodra can keep tanking hits and hit hard with specs Draco or other coverage moves

Its a solid move for goodra tho , you would only use one turn to fully heal goodra , wake up the same turn and switch so goodra can keep tanking hits and hit hard with specs Draco or other coverage moves
This wouldn't do you much good if you were down to just Goodra or if your remaining Pokemon can't switch in to take a hit. A trapping move/ability would be a big problem as well.

Latias is generally better if you're looking for a pure offense special dragon. It's faster and stronger and LO cuts into goodra's main selling point: it's absurd spdef.

Assault vest is probably the way to go barring infestation/hydration "gimmicks." It's a great tank for offensive teams that has the ability to hit almost everything for SE damage. I've lost count of the amount of scizor who think they can stay in/try to U-turn then get fried by fire blast.

I pretty much see this exact scenario in any match where someone thinks Greninja can actually beat assault vest Goodra 1v1:

greninja's protean changed its type to ice!
greninja used ice beam!
goodra took like 30%!
goodra used fire blast!
greninja fainted!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
From what i've seen of Goodra i'm actually really impressed with Assault Vest Goodra so far, and i think that if Goodra doesn't end up getting any form of reliable recovery that will definitely end up being my go to set. With an Assault Vest equipped Goodra can take pretty much any special hit from full hp (it can even take stuff like Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor from full health iirc, that incredibly impressive!). Goodra's great offensive coverage and good base 110 Special Attack stat mean that unlike certain other Pokemon with similar levels of bulk, Goodra isn't really a sitting duck, and has more than enough power to fight back with strong Draco Meteors, Fire Blasts, Thunderbolts, Sludge Waves, etc. This also means Goodra really doesn't mind the loss of the ability to use support moves, as it can totally get by with just a 4 attacks set. Of course, Assault Vest Goodra isn't perfect, because of the lack of Leftovers it can get worn down by repeated Special Attacks and hazards damage over the course of the match, but still, i think Assault Vest Goodra is an excellent set, and i'd urge all of you to give it a shot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seems that the next big thing to define is which ability is better...Gooey or Hydration...

Gooey allows a setup for another Pokemon to come in...but can be negated via switching.

Hydration cures any status on Goodra...but the nerf on weather hurts it...

EDIT: Oh, and Sap Sipper, too.

Your opinions on this, since to be honest, you all know more about the benefits than this college student.

Well, it seems that the next big thing to define is which ability is better...Gooey or Hydration...

Gooey allows a setup for another Pokemon to come in...but can be negated via switching.

Hydration cures any status on Goodra...but the nerf on weather hurts it...

EDIT: Oh, and Sap Sipper, too.

Your opinions on this, since to be honest, you all know more about the benefits than this college student.
Depends. I use a set called soaksipper, but gooey terrifies physical attackers into negating goodra's poor defense, and hydration... I think people are in denial about the weather nerf. Indeed, it was the game changer of all game changers in the past, but we need to realize rain teams don't work as good as they used to.

I love Gooey. If you are forced to use Goodra against a Physical attacker it punishes them at least a little bit for hitting you. Hydration is probably amazing if you still choose to run a rain team and use Rest (no AV then though). I think Sap Sipper is pretty rubbish. Goodra has OK Defense and resists Grass, many/most of the good Grass attacks are Special anyway(?) which makes me not see Grass moves as much of a threat even without Sap Sipper.

I love Gooey. If you are forced to use Goodra against a Physical attacker it punishes them at least a little bit for hitting you. Hydration is probably amazing if you still choose to run a rain team and use Rest (no AV then though). I think Sap Sipper is pretty rubbish. Goodra has OK Defense and resists Grass, many/most of the good Grass attacks are Special anyway(?) which makes me not see Grass moves as much of a threat even without Sap Sipper.
Fine, grass isn't a threat. But immunity to spore, leech seed and more importantly a huge boost in attack is just wonderful if you ask me

Fine, grass isn't a threat. But immunity to spore, leech seed and more importantly a huge boost in attack is just wonderful if you ask me
I forgot about absorbing status moves, that is a pretty big plus, but does anyone actually use Physical Goodra? Call me biased towards Gooey. :P

I forgot about absorbing status moves, that is a pretty big plus, but does anyone actually use Physical Goodra? Call me biased towards Gooey. :P
I use physical goodra. There is little to no difference in Atk and SpA, so I go in with earthquake, return, rock slide and outrage. Every one of those moves has served me very well with the tons of extra power he gets from sap sipper. Best used in doubles though

I have not tried the Curse yet. If it can hello stupid wall or whatever you want to call it. So with natures for Goodra, what should we be going for in them? Dropping Special Attack or regular or attack for more defense? Maybe dropping Special Defense for Defense if you are using Assault Vest or dropping speed for more bulky? The speed options seems good since if you want to give it some coverage it can't learn any special ground/rock moves and its special move pool is decent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)