1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Goodstuff Sandstorm Team(still need rate)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Legendery, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Legendery

Legendery

Not sure how to put pics since im brand new but here i go!

So this is my VGC 2014 team, or at least my hopeful team, I would like it if you guys could give me any pointers and whatnot. I have played around with this team in the vgc section and it does pretty well but it could do better, any input is greatly appreciated!

1. Tryanitar
    Nature: Adamant (Atk+/SpAtk-)
    EVs: 180 HP/ 252 Atk/ 76 Spd
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Item: Chople Berry
    Moves:
    Crunch
    Rock Slide
    Protect
    Fire Punch
    I use this guy along with my Garchomp to set up a good Sandstorm combo with Garchomp's Sand Veil. Crunch is a nice STAB move along with a potential for decrease in Def, Rock Slide is a very nice area STAB move that hits Fire, Flying, and Ice types. Protect allows Tyranitar to survive a quick Close Combat from a pesky Infernape or some such Fighting type and Fire Punch is nice for getting rid of Ferrothorn and other bulky Steel or Grass types.

2. Garchomp
    Nature: Jolly (Spd+/SpAtk-)
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Item: Dragon Gem
    Moves:
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Stone Edge
    Protect
    Alongside Tyranitar, Garchomp sweeps through most teams. Stone Edge is handy for end game killing when Garchomp is left with someone else. Earthquake gets a nice STAB boost and provides nice coverage to Fire, Rock, and Ice types. Protect keeps Garchomp safe from any speedy Weaviles. Outrage is a stupidly powerful physical STAB move which is helpful with Garchomp's high Atk. Dragon Claw will be my main attackin Dragon type move if I dont use Outrage, only reason I havent changed completely to Dragon Claw is I wanna hear other opinions on Outrage.

3. Jellicent
    Nature: Bold (Def+/ Atk-)
    EVs: 248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spd
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Moves:
    Scald
    Protect
    Shadow Ball
    Recover
    So some of you may say why Def on this guy? Well, I say because since its Ghost it is immune to Fighting and Normal types, and it has Water Absorb so no Water damage, and it resists Bug, Steel, Ice, and Fire all which are generally physical. Shadow Ball allows Jellicent to hit those uncommon bulky Ghost Pokemon for some extra damage. Scald allows for a nice burn which lowers the opponent's attack which is why I decided to run a defensive set on Jellicent. Protect lets Jellicent sit back and eat its Leftovers while its opponents cry for Nurse Joy to heal their burn. Recover allows Jellicent to get its HP back.

4. Ferrothorn
    Nature: Relaxed (Def+/ Spd-)
    EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    Moves:
    Power Whip
    Gyro Ball
    Protect
    Substitute
    Ferrothorn and Jellicent being paired up together are able to stall the opposing team for a few turns. The Rocky Helmet along with Iron Barbs Ability will allow for Ferrothorn to stack damage up on any pokemon who tries to whittle down its HP and will hopefully cause more damage to them than Ferrothorn receives. Substitute helps keep Ferrothorn alive for an extra turn or two. Power Whip is a great STAB move for Ferrothorn to hit those bulky Water/Ground types such as Swampert or Gastrodon. Gyro Ball is a nice STAB move and since Ferrothorn is inherently slow it will do lots more damage. Protect allows Ferrothorn to survive while Garchomp Earthquakes and just allow for him to stall for one more turn.

5. Wash Rotom
    Nature: Modest (SpAtk+/ Atk-)
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: Electric Gem
    Moves:
    Thunderbolt
    Protect
    Hydro Pump
    Hidden Power(Ice)
    I guess you could call this my revenge Dragon killer with his HP Ice. Thunderbolt kills bulky Waters that my team would otherwise have no type advantages over. Hydro Pump gets rid of Ground and Rock types that I might have a hard time getting rid of otherwise. Protect is standard doubles play.

6. Uhm for this one I'm not sure, I was planning on having a Special Fairy Sweeper once Gen VI rolls around, so I have something for next gen VGC, that will be current.
    Still not decided on this one but I'm thinking of running this for the time being:
    Blaziken
    Nature: Jolly (Spe+/SpAtk-)/ Adamant (Atk+/SpAtk-)
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
    Ability: Speed Boost
    Item: Life Orb
    Moves:
    Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
    Sky Uppercut
    Protect
    Brave Bird
    Protect on the first turn allows for Blaziken to get a free Speed Boost while Garchomp rushes in with a powerful STAB Earthquake while bypassing Blaziken, who on the next turn would be fast enough to break any glass cannons such as Weavile with Sky Uppercut. Brave Bird is GREAT for getting rid of those pesky Hitmontops and other Fighting types. Flare Blitz is a good STAB physical move to deal with any stray Steels, if I dont run Flare Blitz I will run Fire Punch, same as with Outrage, I'd like to hear different opinions on Flare Blitz vs. Fire Punch.
  2. tlyee61

tlyee61

Hi, you have a really good Sand team so far :) I only have a few suggestions regarding EV spreads. I'd recommend using Ray's spread on TTar since you're using Fire Punch TTar. It's 252 HP / 124 Atk / 36 Def / 96 SpDef and allows you to OHKO Scizor and be bulky, surviving Metagross Meteor Mash.
  3. Legendery

Legendery

Hey thanks for the shortened rate, yea I'm not really sure what I was going for with TTar's ev spread. Is there anything else that could be optimized and whatnot? One thing that I have noticed is that aside from Garchomp who is max speed and Blaziken who is also max speed, my team can handle Trick Rom pretty well.
  4. Eyedol

Eyedol the artist formerly known as xAtrocity

You have a solid team started with some of the strongest pokemon, here are some suggestions to take it to the next level:

1) Balancing Physical Attacks and Special Attacks

⦁ Most of your attacking Pokémon focus solely on Physical Attacks, and your defending Pokémon focus solely on Physical defense. This may make it difficult to face teams that are able to defend well against Physical Attacks and have strong Special Attackers. Right now your team is also pretty high risk against Intimidate or Will-O-Wisp crippling your attackers. Rain teams that focus on special attacks could also give you trouble because they usually come prepared for Ferrothorn and Jellicent - your current EV spreads would actually make it easier for Rain teams to get past them.
    ⦁ Changing your EV spreads to give your team better balance between Special and Physical attacks and defenses would likely prove beneficial; your other option of course is to switch some pokemon around - Cresselia is obviously a very popular choice with a variety of sets that could even this out but you could try some less obvious choices like a defensive Latias or even a Togekiss
    ⦁ Another option is to keep your existing pokemon but use unusual movesets, for example: Tyranitar has the potential to be a powerful Special (or Mixed) Attacker with a higher Special Attack stat and a huge variety of moves that provide great coverage and really catch opponents off gaurd. Blaziken has potential to do some of this and even Garchomp can get away with a Draco Meteor.

2) Miscellaneous tweaks

⦁ Even with good pokemon selected it looks like there are a few small tweaks that could improve a moveset or item to gain you an occasional advantage, here are some ideas:
    ⦁ The EV investment in speed for Tyranitar won't help you outspeed many threats, but it will make you much more likely to lose the weather battle against Politoed, I recommend you spend those points somewhere else because I think it actually hurts you as is
    ⦁ Substitute and Protect on Ferrothorn are best used with Leech Seed to increase longevity, using both without Leech Seed is probably less effective, I suggest you choose one of the two and either add Leech Seed or choose another move that adds more value
    ⦁ You asked for opinions about Garchomp's Dragon attack, mine is that you should stick with Dragon Claw if you plan to keep the Dragon Gem. The extra power of Outrage is probably not worth the risk of targetting the wrong pokemon or getting locked into a bad matchup, especially since it's clear that you lead with Garchomp often. The Dragon Gem will give you enough power and much more flexibility. Draco Meteor is another potential option to surprise people, and Dual Chop or Dragon Rush are possibilities too; but all are generally less appealing than Dragon Claw.

3) Missing something extra

⦁ There are many teams that use very similar pokemon to yours, and while they are all powerful, the best teams have something extra to give them an unexpected edge. Your team seems to be very straightforward with strong pokemon and good coverage, but it's missing that extra edge.
    ⦁ A move to alter move priority could give you an extra turn that becomes a difference in close games. Icy Wind, Paralysis, Trick Room, or maybe a Priority move or even Tailwind. A sleep move would buy you some extra turns too.
    ⦁ A boosting move could give you an early advantage or help you finish sweeps. Swagger one of your attackers who is holding a Lum Berry. Maybe try Garchomp with a Focus Sash in the place of a Dragon Gem and use Swords Dance. Switch Ferrothorn to a Special Defender and then try Curse.

Your team has a great start. Rounding out the details of the team will help to maximize its potential. A little bit better balance and a few tricks to give you small advantages should be enough to win those close games.

I hope I was able to help you, and good luck with your team. ^_^
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. Legendery

Legendery

Wow you pose a good point I never realized how offensive my team was, I'm definitely going to re-work something so that I have a better affinity towards Special stats.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)