Goose Fury (Ranked #3 on Showdown)

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hey guys, I'm Thunderblunder. I've been playing RU since about October, but never really got into it as I usually preferred OU. About a month or so back, I started to get really into it and came across a certain Pokemon we know as Zangoose. Whenever I played RU, I was usually beaten by Stall teams carrying Tangrowth, Slowking, Cofagrigus, Munchlax, etc. The most annoying core being Munchlax and Cofagrigus though. I wanted something that would be the ultimate Wallbreaker. I looked over all the RU Pokemon and didn't really like any of them tbh, so I decided to see what NU had in store. I saw Zangoose and then I saw its ability Toxic Boost. I knew about Toxic Boost before, and I even used it in DW OU to troll people as it truly turns Zangoose into a monster. This team was made to support Zangoose in sweeping the opponent's team and ranked #6 on Pokemon Showdown. (I would have tried to do this on Pokemon Online, but there are literally 21 people there right now and it is close to impossible to get a battle) Getting #3 on PS isn't anything great, but this team has been a lot of fun to use and I'd like to share it. Oh, and I know it say 19W/5L, but it should honestly be 2L since Showdown had to reset three times when i was laddering.

So I wanted the Amazing Wallbreaker, Zangoose.

I knew from past experience that Lilligant is great at set up sweeping so I decided to use it since it can help with weakening stuff for Zangoose to sweep.

If Zangoose somehow died, I knew I wanted Lilligant to sweep so I used Moltres to obliterate Steel Types. I shunned away from the usual 3 attacks + Roost and tried something new in Offensive SubRoost. Hurricane has really been amazing for Moltres and 2HKOing Standard Slowking is amazing.

Zangoose and Lilligant have terrible, terrible defenses, especially Zangoose, so I decided to add a defensive pivot that could let them in safely. Lanturn was a great choice as it provided Paralysis support, could be a cleric, and could bring either of them in safely with Volt Switch due to its low speed. It also gave me an FWG core which are always good.

Yes, a Wynaut. Wynaut is really strong in RU. It has high HP and above average defenses with Eviolite and lets me take on powerful threats like CB Entei and knock them out of the game. Wynaut was chosen mainly because if there was something standing in the way of Zangoose, Lilligant, or Moltres Sweeping, it was pretty much GG right there. Wynaut may seem like a weird fit, but after I tried it, I never looked back at its effectiveness.

Mesprit was the last Pokemon to join the team and I didn't even think about it until about a week ago. I decided to use an extremely unorthodox set, but it did work wonders for the team and in all I really enjoyed using it. Mesprit also provided me with Stealth Rocks which is always needed and has amazing defenses and not to shabby SpA and Speed Stats.

So that's the team. Here it is, In Depth

[size=+2]The Team at First Look[/size]

[size=+2]The Team In-Depth[/size]

Mesprit @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Don't Close out the RMT as soon as you see the set. I know what you're probably thinking, Psychic and Psyshock? Expert Belt? This set has to be the weirdest set I have come up with, but also one of the most effective ones. Psychic and Psyshock are great for hitting on both sides of the spectrum and lets me butcher the Cofagrigus/Munchlax core as Cofagrigus is 2HKOed after Rocks by Psychic and Munchlax is 3HKOed. Ice/Psychic coverage is really good in RU and lets me hit things such as Tangrowth, and Mandibuzz and the Expert Belt lets me Secure Kills. I have contemplated the use of Life Orb, but since Mesprit is my Stealth Rocker and sometimes I set them up late, I want to keep it at as high health as possible and taking its health away won't help. All in all, Mesprit is a really important member of the team, whether it is weakening a lot of the opponent's team or it's acting as a support 'mon and taking hits and laying up Rocks.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Power. That's what comes to my head when I first see Zangoose. I don't even know where to start with this thing and if I did, I probably wouldn't stop raving about how good it is. Zangoose really is one of the best Pokemon in RU right now. It's base 115 Attack is amazing and it has a good base 90 speed as well. It's defenses are trash, but the rest of my team can help it out. Facade is crazy powerful with toxic boost activated and OHKOes anything that doesnt resist it, barring defensive Behemoths like Poliwrath, Tangrowth, and Uxie. Close Combat provides amazing Coverage with Facade and lets me batter the Rock and Steel Types such as Steelix and Omastar that could otherwise take my hits and set up. Swords dance puts Zangoose on immediate Steroids, one shotting everything in the RU metagame barring Ghosts and Metang. The choice of quick attack and Shadow claw was one of the hardest to make, but in the end Quick attack won me over due to Zangoose's Frailty. Quick attack gave me a needed priority move on my team and allowed me to outspeed fast, frail threats like Galvantula. After a Swords dance, Quick Attack actually becomes really powerful, OHKOing things like Typhlosion, Hitmonchan, and Galvantula after Rocks. Jolly Nature with Max Speed puts me at a Speed Tie with stuff like Lilligant and Moltres. Also lets me Outspeed Adamant Entei, and Zangoose takes about 70% from CB Entei and can OHKO in return with Facade which is cool since Entei is a threat.

Lilligant @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Lilligant has always been a great Poke in RU being able to take out a Poke for the rest of the match with immediate Sleep and then set up and threaten with a sweep. This is pretty much the standard set on-site and works pretty well in tandem with Zangoose. Sleep Powder to knock out a Poke and help me set up. Quiver Dance to Boost (What Else would you Honestly use?) Giga Drain for STAB and to recover lost health which is nice, and HP Rock provides great coverage covering Fire, Flying, and Bug Types which would scare out Lilligant. I run Max/Max in the EV Department for the most power, and Lilligant isn't bulky enough to take hits anyways.

Moltres @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Oh God Moltres. The Team may be based around Zangoose, but Moltres is by far the MVP. Moltres scares out 2/3 of the RU metagame making it tremendously easy to set up a Substitute and it eases prediction as well. Moltres can also work as a PP Staller when it needs to with Pressure and has the natural bulk to usually take neutral hits and Roost off the damage. Fire Blast is a hard-hitting STAB Move which annihilates all non-resists and does tremendous damage. Hurricane is really just a blessing for Moltres. It's only counter is now Lanturn as Slowking is 2HKOed after Rocks, and the sheer power of it is amazing letting it OHKO so many common switch ins. It's accuracy is pretty shaky and it is frustrating missing, but the Power is definitely worth the risk. Hurricane's confusion has also helped me more than I can remember and I usually play the riskiest with Moltres. Sometimes If I am not sure I have a chance, I spam Hurricane just to bank on that Confusion chance which honestly helps sometimes. Roost is Roost and lets me recover HP and alleviate Stealth Rocks somewhat.

Wynaut @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Counter
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard

This is Wynaut. It's the best. Wynaut is so good for this team with its solid defenses and good HP. If there is something standing in the way from Zangoose, Lilligant, or Moltres from Sweeping and Wynaut can get rid of it, It's usually GG Right there. The Evs were thrown together to take hits really well and puts Wynaut at 394 HP / 310 Def / 228 Sp Def which are pretty good and let it take powerful attacks and "counter" back with Mirror Coat or Counter. Encore is a necessity and lets me trap set up sweepers to give my own sweepers a free turn. Safeguard is mostly filler since Wynaut has a grand total of eight moves in its disposal, but If I encore like a toxic or something, it's always good to provide the free support.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Lanturn is so valuable in this team and provides so many roles. It has good defenses and an amazing typing. The Evs are on-site and they work fantastically. Volt Switch is the crux of Lanturn as it lets me bring in any of my pokes unharmed and switch initiative is always fun as Lanturn walls so much stuff. Thunder Wave Slows down things which is always fun and lets me abuse that immensely with Moltres SubRoost set and lets Zangoose outspeed many things. Scald is for dual STAB and that awesome burn chance. Heal Bell is to help me if Lilligant or Moltres switch into a Toxic or a Thunder Wave.

So that's the Whole Team

Threatlist--

Honestly this team can handle almost everything in RU, but there are a few exceptions. Galvantula gives me Huge problems OHKOing 5 out of 6 Pokes on my team. The choice version is easy to play around, but the LO Version is scary. Lanturn can take 2 Energy Balls and Go For the Paralysis and Zangoose can OHKO it at plus 2 with Quick attack even without Rocks.

Cofagrigus Cofagrigus defensively is a piece of cake, but Nasty Plot + Trick Room sets are really annoying and it is the reason I run no speed on Wynaut with a speed decreasing nature. I usually go to Zangoose on the Shadow ball, then to Wynaut on the Predicted HP Fighting and then I proceed to Encore them into it. Plus 2 HP fighting does like 18%, so I can either Mirror Coat it to death or switch to Moltres for the swift 2HKO.

Archeops Archeops is pretty annoying for this team too, as it's high Speed Stat and Raw power make it pretty tough to beat. Mesprit can take an Acrobatics without the Flying Gem and OHKO with Ice Beam. Lanturn can take a hit and Bring it into defeatist with Scald or Volt Switch or Paralyze it. It can't switch into anything though as every attack brings it into Defeatist. Moltres's Fire Blast does like 64% lol. Wynaut is bulky enough to take a hit too.

Rotom-C - Really annoying because it has good dual Stab and if the person using it is good at predicting then it's challenging to play around. Zangoose naturally outspeed and OHKOes with Unboosted Facade and Lilligant can attempt to set up on it. Not a Huge threat, but nonetheless, something to watch out for

Final Words- If you want to try out this team before even reading the RMT, I suggest you set up Stealth Rocks as soon as possible. If you don't you will see that lots of stuff live Zangoose's attacks. The way you want to play this team is to --

1. Bring in Wynaut on weak Wall after you have successfully taken out Scarfers with decent Bulk or faster Mons.

2. Trap Wall into some move. Preferably get Zangoose's Orb activated so it is immune to status.

3. Switch to Zangoose and Set up a Swords Dance

4. Kill as Much as you can, usually gets at least 4 kills

Zangoose gets 6 turns to act before it get killed by its own Toxic Orb so play it smart and make sure to take out Cofagrigus and Spiritomb EARLY

This has been one of my favorite teams ever and RU is a great community and tier. I hope that after reading this RMT more people decide to play this tier as diversity is welcome and all in all it's a lot of fun to play. Suggestions are welcome and thank you for reading!

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh God Moltres. The Team may be based around Zangoose, but Moltres is by far the MVP. Moltres scares out 2/3 of the RU metagame making it tremendously easy to set up a Substitute and it eases prediction as well.
And people told me Offensive Sub Roost was a bad idea XD

Also, nice use of Whynaut on this team, making it eaiser for the offensive trio to get sweeps, nicely done!

blunder

is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
And people told me Offensive Sub Roost was a bad idea XD

Also, nice use of Whynaut on this team, making it eaiser for the offensive trio to get sweeps, nicely done!
Thanks! And yeah, Offensive Sub Roost is just amazing =D

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
not really a full rate, but definitely ditch either psychic or psyshock for thunderbolt on mesprit. i beat this team on my BRAZIL4EVER account because mesprit had no way to hurt sub dd crawdaunt which 6-0s your team with a boost ;__;

yeah cool team though zangoose is a monster. daunt cant really set up anywhere else though so just adding tbolt on mesprit should help alleviate this a lot

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
not really a full rate, but definitely ditch either psychic or psyshock for thunderbolt on mesprit. i beat this team on my BRAZIL4EVER account because mesprit had no way to hurt sub dd crawdaunt which 6-0s your team with a boost ;__;

yeah cool team though zangoose is a monster. daunt cant really set up anywhere else though so just adding tbolt on mesprit should help alleviate this a lot
Yeah I remember that battle, I was screwed the minute you got up a DD as my whole team was pretty weak to it. I will definitely use T-bolt on Mesprit as Psychic and Psyshock haven't been as effective together since I started the team. Thanks for the rate =D

Hypocrite for using Lanturn. :]

Good team, though, Moltres has enough power to be able to sack its LO and put Wide Lens, as a precaution to hit more. Team is interesting, nonetheless, but Mespirit could be better replaced by Uxie, who can tank hits better, and has the ability to be able to get up dual screens and Stealth Rocks. All entry hazards wear down Cofagrigus and Munchlax, so utimately, having a phazer would be good. A side note, Whimsicott ruins Zangoose's day, with proper prediction.

Try out Uxie over Mespirit, just for dual screens.

Its obvious that you won't consider anything I typed up, just because, but do what I said and you might have a successful RU Team.

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Hypocrite for using Lanturn. :]

Good team, though, Moltres has enough power to be able to sack its LO and put Wide Lens, as a precaution to hit more. Team is interesting, nonetheless, but Mespirit could be better replaced by Uxie, who can tank hits better, and has the ability to be able to get up dual screens and Stealth Rocks. All entry hazards wear down Cofagrigus and Munchlax, so utimately, having a phazer would be good. A side note, Whimsicott ruins Zangoose's day, with proper prediction.

Try out Uxie over Mespirit, just for dual screens.

Its obvious that you won't consider anything I typed up, just because, but do what I said and you might have a successful RU Team.
I knew someone was going to bite me for the Lanturn bit lol. I have contemplated Uxie, but since my team is much more offensive, I like to batter things down with hits for one of my guys to clean up. Dual Screens seems interesting nonetheless and I will try that out. Whimsicott is a huge troll to Zangoose as Toxic Boosted Quick Attack maxes at like 27% so I have to try and get that thing gone as soon as possible. thanks for the rate

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also lets me Outspeed Adamant Entei, and Zangoose takes about 70% from CB Entei and can OHKO in return with Facade which is cool since Entei is a threat.
This is an extremely minor point, but where are you getting the 70% from? Extremespeed from CB Entei does 69.09% MINIMUM to 4/0 Zangoose, and you're flirting with KO range after rocks and a turn of poison damage. You'd better hope they bring out their Entei against Zangoose right off the bat, because if not you're toast. Also if you don't have any attack boosts Facade is still not a guaranteed OHKO on Entei without SR support (although it's like 81.25%), so you need to be cautious.

Other than that the team looks impressive, I'll have to try my hand at RU one of these days, given my love of UU in all gens!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)