Gothitelle

haunter

Banned deucer.
I actually think that choice specs will be its best set. With specs thundebolt it can trap and 2hko specially (and any other) defensive Politoed while Poli can't 2hko back with scald. Specs psyshock can OHKO Ninetales after it switches into SR once, while Tales isn't even guaranteed to 2hko back with sun boosted flamethrowers. Specs HP fighting does 70,47% - 82,9% to standard CB TTar, it can't kill it but can severely cripple. Basically, if used correctly, the specs set can kill or severely cripple any weather inducer and with trick it can make walls like Ferrothorn and Blissey useless.

Being released only as male is... weird! Luckily, at least "he" doesn't have many good options in "his" egg moves, the only somewhat useful could be Dark Pulse, but there's a Move Tutor inb BW 2 for that... :/

I see "him" mostly as a bulky Specser for trapping walls and enabling thingys like Terrakion to rampage through you'r opponent's team. But a sadistic annoyance set with Torment would be great too.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
the following are most likely gimmick/niche options but I thought I'd explore her movepool a little further

Note that she also gets Tickle, which has some viability in dealing with Blissey. Go the old Wobba route and Tickle her a few times before switching to a Pursuit user OR Modest Life Orb Psyshock can actually OHKO a -2 252/252+ Blissey after SR sometimes.

Charm could be used to buy a set-up turn for your sweeper. Trap a physical attacker, Charm as many times as you can and then go to your sweeper while the weakened opponent flees or fails to do significant damage.

Fake Tears also has some application when the opponent can't switch out to avoid taking an attack on their -2 SpD.

She learns Signal Beam for the clean kill on any Celebi that don't run U-turn.

Foul Play may have some use for trapping Physical attackers but I doubt it tbh.

Trick Room Goth could be a boon to TR trams just for her ability to switch in and set it up and then go to your sweeper without fear of a double switch.

It appears that only male is released so egg moves are incompatible, but they're mostly worthless anyway:
-Captivate
-Dark Pulse
-Mean Look (lol)
-Miracle Eye
-Mirror Coat (Wobb says hi)
-Uproar

Dark Pulse is the only one worth mentioning because it has the same coverage (and lack thereof) as Shadow Ball, a flinch chance, and she can hit Toxicroak with Psychic anyway. Other than that, she's not missing out on anything.
The event Gothorita has Mirror Coat, which could be interesting in certain circumstances and Captivate is usually outclassed by Attract.

Uproar prevents sleeping and now has a decent 90 base power, but lasts 3 turns, Sleep Talk would be better.

In fact I see Attract a decent option, however the event Gothorita is always male, and in Showdown the gender is random by default.

I am looking at her movepool and she(hell, it's a gothic girl) has Heal Block, well she has Taunt, but it "may" have any use specially against fast pokemon which recover moves, however it does not prevent Pain Split.
The interesting fact of Heal Block is that prevents ALL the forms of healing, including Leftovers and Leech Seed.
Even negates the effect of Volt Absorb and Water Absorb.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been testing Gothitelle out this morning, note that I merely replaced one 'mon on my sand offense team with her(didn't give it much thought) I would have to say I'm a little underwhelmed.

I've tested both the scarf and the specs set, and while I found specs more proficient at eradicating walls, it still wasn't awesome at it. I found myself just tricking right away because that was the most I was going to do against a lot of walls.

Granted I used scarf more in the beginning(really I think the set that was underwhelming me, it doesn't even outspeed the 108s) and when I switched to specs it was better; but I still found myself just wanting a more solid wall breaker with some useful resistances.

So... does that listing mean the ability is actually available? Not sure how to tell, because under Gothitelle's page on the same site it still says the DW ability is "Unavailable".

Pocket EDIT: http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/575.shtml - it's in the OP :/
Sorry, I thought my question was obvious.

I was just trying to ask if that event definitely means Gothitelle is now legal in OU, considering that on Gothitelle's page on Serebii itself it still lists the DW ability as "Unavailable".

TBH goth is fantastic in every tier below ou, but in it, it's just so underwhelming. It doesn't have the power, speed, move pool, or bulk to abuse its ability. It just isn't cutting it in ou.
If it got perish song and a recovery move it would be great, too bad it doesn't.

I've been using this set recently in OU

Gothitelle @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Torment
- Recycle
- Psychic

Her His purpose on my team is mainly to trap Fighting-types, seeing as they can tear through my team, and wear down anything the rest of my team has trouble dealing with. (Despite Rest/Recycle wish support often helps as OU pokes hit her him quite hard).

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One thing that I'm noticing here is that all of the support sets require Gothitelle to take a lot of hits while 'he' sets up- unless you can come into something like CB Scizor's Superpower. Although 'he' does have pretty good bulk, with Rest being 'his' only choice for Recovery, I can't see 'him' being used more than once or twice throughout a match. 'He's also prone to being revenge killed herself; 'his' weakness to Bug/Dark isn't helping him vs TTar/Scizor. I do think the Specs set is 'his' best bet.

Calm Mind Rest Goth is absolutely crazy vs. stall teams and basically anything that cant attack for much damage. Goth's bulk is also useful here.

Goth is really annoying to play against depending on the team and it has its niches, but i don't see it being a massive play anytime soon.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I could see TR / Taunt Gothitelle becoming quite annoying in the future. Partnered up with a Pursuit trapper and it could get ugly. I do think that offensive teams will, simply, destroy it. With the high usage of rain offense, Goth isn't going to get much usage, despite its ability being the best in the game.

I haven't actually tried her yet, however she DOES have the potential to trap some bulky threats with a specs set (perhaps scarf would be better...) heres some:

Psyshock: Tentacruel/Amoonguss/Conkeldurr (only some Conkeldurr though)
Grass Knot: Jellicent/Hippodown/Gastrodon/Slowbro/donphan and (heavily) weakened tyranitar
Thunderbolt: Skarmory/Starmie/Politoed
Hidden Power Ice: Gliscor/Dragonite
Hidden Power Fire: Ferrothorn/Scizor/Forretress
Hidden Power Ground: Heatran/Magnezone

With a scarf you can check OR revenge a whole chunk of offensive threats!

Psyshock: Infernape/Keldeo/Terrakion/Virizion/Gengar/Toxicroak (<L/O for Sucker Punch)
Thunderbolt: Starmie/Gyarados/Tornadus-t (<outsped by 1 point lol)
Dark Pulse: Lati@s/Azelf/Alakazam/Espeon
Hidden Power Ground: Heatran/Magnezone
Hidden Power Ice: Landorus(and Therian)/Gliscor/Dragonite

Ofcourse you won't be revenging some +1 threats.. Hence why I didn't bother to include Salamence (who is rarely mixed...)

But if you struggle with any of these pokemon in particular.. She looks like she's the man to help. (note a lot of these pokemon aren't even ohkoed after stealth rock (ie the twins)... but hey.. they can't switch!

I've been experimenting with many different gothitelle set-ups at the moment. So far, the specs has worked the best, as it kills walls like gliscor, skarmory, politoed, jellicent, and amoongus, kills revenge killers like breloom, scarf terrakion(off the death fodder of course), tornadus, tornadus-t, thundorus-t, and scarf landorus(not in sandstorm). Also, it can cripple many stall or set-up pokemon by tricking it your choice spectacles(Ferrothorn, Gastrodon, Reuniclus, Chansey, Blissey, ect). With my current set I've been running(to some somewhat great succuss) I run this-

Gothitelle@ChoiceSpecs
Trait-Modest
EVs-212HP/252SpAtk/44Spd
Attacks
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Hidden Power Ice
-Trick

This gothitelle was specialized around getting around threats big to physical attacks, such as gliscor, skarmory, and slowbro with trick.

I've tested the substitute,protect, torment, taunt set, but Trick seems to do that all in one. Also, this set miserably fails if the staller has 2 attacks, and then gothitelle becomes completely useless. The scarf set had damage that was, well, very underwhelming. The specs set feels like gothitelle is hitting as hard as a normal maxed out special attacker, so scarf makes it feel like a sunkern in OU. There isn't really much it can outspeed and 1 or 2 hit ko decisively. I find Gothitelle only can find spots on teams hurting vs. stall, or a heavy offense team that just needs a hole opener.

I'm going to be testing a Calm Mind gothitelle latter today. Too bad she has no recovery:(

This think is hilariously slow. I was playing UU and this thing comes in on my Umbreon cleric and I kinda was speechless and had no idea what to do. So first I click protect and yup, its gonna trick. At this point I clicked taunt because what the hell else am I gonna do and I was surprised to see me go first and prevent it. Checking the base stats now, it has 65 just like umbreon (and mine DOES have some speed investment), so I'm guessing they concentrated on defenses or whatnot. If this thing does become popular it might be a good idea for certain walls and support mons to run some speed investment to set up a sub or taunt.

It's speed and underwhelming bulk are what lets it down, really. I think that it isn't going to have much use in OU unless the metagame starts going back towards stally teams and using Pokemon with one attack. Or perhaps weird bulky Choice users?

edit: Other than that it can be used to check certain threats in OU, as well as certain niche counters, but that's all really.

Holy shit are some of you riding the slow pony to the rubber forest or what.

Gothitelle is slow, yes, but its fast enough for what it needs. Max speed Modest hits 229 speed, as fast as Adamant Scizor and faster than basically all walls. If you run Timid it can outpace defensive base 100s, Modest Politoed and Breloom. No it isn't going to be running circles around the metagame but its shitloads faster than a lot of things and its actually faster than Magnezone, and maggy gets usage.

Frail? It is not frail. Infernape is frail. Lucario is frail. 70 / 95 / 110 is not frail. Its about as tough as Latios.

You say it doesn't hit hard? This is a fair point, 95 base isn't particularly dangerous with only psychic STAB. But again, it doesn't need sweeper level offenses to do what it needs to do. Gothitelle is a trapper.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest / Timid
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball

This thing is the death of modern BW 2 stall. If Gothitelle becomes popular (honestly I see no reason why this won't be OU) stall will not exist in its current form.

-Psyshock OHKOs Tentacruel, Breloom, Infernape, Terrakion, Venusaur, Keldeo, Jolteon, Amoonguss, and Conkledurr while demolishing Volcarona, Ninetales, and Thunderus in one hit after Stealth Rocks. Blissey is 2HKOed!

Thunderbolt destroys Cloyster (if Timid you usually outrun it), Gyarados, Tornadus, Starmie, and Skarmory in one hit. It also puts heavy pressure on Jellicent, Politoed and Vaporeon, 2HKOing them.

HP Fire OHKOs Scizor, Abomasnow, Forretress, and even Ferrothorn after Stealth Rocks. Gothitelle outruns all of them and survives Bullet Punch.

Energy Ball is mostly filler but can be used to OHKO Gastrodon, Rotom W, Mamoswine, Donphan, and 2HKO Hippowdon. It even has a good chance of 2HKOing offensive Tyranitar with Stealth Rocks.

... HP Ice is another option mainly to hit Gliscor but then you lose the ability to OHKO every Rapid Spinner and Spiker (barring Deoxys D) in OU.

There are also endless Pokemon that Gothitelle can not directly switch in on, but instantly die locked into the wrong move. Terrakion Close Combat, Landorus HP Ice, Latios Draco Meter, Tyrantar Superpower, Tornadus Focus Blast etc. Gothitelle has SO many chances to get a free kill and otherwise rip to shreds defensive cores. It has flaws of course but it fits perfectly with Volt Turn teams and balance / offense that has issues with stall.

Like with Chandelure it is easily picked open by Tyranitar, but that never stopped the ghost from being used in DW OU.

It's speed and underwhelming bulk are what lets it down, really. I think that it isn't going to have much use in OU unless the metagame starts going back towards stally teams and using Pokemon with one attack. Or perhaps weird bulky Choice users?

edit: Other than that it can be used to check certain threats in OU, as well as certain niche counters, but that's all really.
I think you're really underestimating it. While it might not have terrific stats the simple existence of Shadow Tag on it gives it legs. It traps different things than any trapper before it, and as such will always have a niche just like Magnezone, Wobbuffet and Dugtrio. For instance, it seems that Gothitelle is probably better suited to trapping and KOing Politoed than Dugtrio and Wobuffet are, and that alone will give it a useful niche. It might not hit hard but it still hits harder than Dugtrio if it goes all out offensive, which gives it more clout for taking out slower, defensive threats which still infest the metagame. Furthermore it has unique set up options that are completely unavailable to any other trapper, and that will give it some niche application as well. While there are some pure offense teams out there, most teams have at least one Pokemon like ferrothorn or Deoxys-D that can be used as set up fodder.

I'm thinking of using goth on my sun team to trap politoed and ttar...i was going to try sash dugtrio but maybe i'll try specs goth first...

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gothitelle is an extremely underrated pokemon. The specs set works wonders for me. Here's the exact set I use:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

252 hp goes a long way, allowing me to take very little from moves like close combat. Psychic over psyshock because when you have base 95 sp.attack, you need the raw power more. Thunderbolt is great for killing off thundurus-t, politoed, etc. Hidden Power destroys ferrothorn, abomasnow, genesect, scizor, and forretress. Trick has proven to be quite useless though, so I might swap it out for Energy Ball!

Pocket Edit: Thundurus-T is immune to Thunderbolt, due to Volt Absorb

It's a shame that the Gothic cannot learn Thunder, it would be great for easing killing Politoed.

So, the calcs I am doing about how Specs Gothitelle fares against weather starters(but Abomasnow because I am too tired to calc it)
In hide tags because it's long.
Gothitelle 252 Thunderbolt 0/0 Politoed 52%-61% If GF gave her Thunder: Always 2KO counting no SR and Leftovers recovery

Gothitelle 252 Thunderbolt 252/0 Politoed 57%-67% 2KO

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Thunderbolt 0/0 Politoed 85%-100% 2KO, around 70% KO with SR If GF gave her Thunder: Always KO

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Thunderbolt 252/0 Politoed 71%-84% 2KO If GF gave her Thunder: 90%-100%, KO with SR

Politoed 252+ Scarf Hydro Pump 0/0 82%-97% around 50% KO with SR

Politoed 252 Scarf Hydro Pump 0/0 75%-88% around 5% KO with SR

Politoed 252 Specs Hydro Pump 0/0 Always KO

Politoed 252 Specs Hydro Pump 252/0 91%-100% Always KO with SR

Politoed 0 Scald 0/0 38%-46%

Politoed 0 Scald 252/0 31%-37%

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Psyshock Ninetales 252/0 62%-74% 2KO

Gothitelle 252+ Specs Psyshock Ninetales 0/0 78%-92% KO with SR

Ninetales 252+ Fire Blast 252/0 Gothitelle 63%-74% 2KO

Ninetales 0 Flamethrower 252/0 Gothitelle 34%-40%

Gothitelle 252+ Specs HP Fighting 252/252+ Tyranitar 48%-57%

Gothitelle 252+ Specs HP Fighting 0/0 Tyranitar 78%-95%

Tyranitar 0 Crunch 252/0 Gothitelle 68%-80%

Tyranitar 252 Crunch 252/0 Gothitelle 81%-96% Around 50% KO with SR

Tyranitar 252+ Crunch 252/0 Gothitelle 88-100% KO with SR

I tried with Scarf Gothitelle, but while I was doing the calcs, it sucks for the purpose of trapping and killing weather starters. She needs 252 HP and 252+ Sp Att.

It's important to stand out the fact that Gothitelle can carry Mirror Coat because the event Gothi knows it.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Gothitelle can't learn both Mirror Coat and Shadow Tag because the DW mon is always male.
But if you would have read the post correct you would know that the event Gothielle has Mirror Coat in its move set, so there is no need to teach it via breeding or any other method as long as you don't let it forget that move.

How about teaming it up with Zoroark? Fooling people into thinking it's Gothitelle so they'll stay in? Would this work?
Not in simulators, because against trapping mons, the button of switching is disabled.

In DS could, but not much, because people can always try to switch. If they can't, a message appears saying it.

If your using a grass attack on specs, GK>Energy ball because you hit nearly everything harder, and I'm pretty sure Rotom-w is 2koed by Psychic. The thing that differentiates Gothiele from other trappers it that it can go a defensive route, has pretty good bulk, especially from the special side things. It has all these moves to screw with your opponent like heal bell, tickle, and trickroom. Most other trappers, can't really function to well defensively (Dugtrio is koed by almost everything,) Magnezone may have overall greater bulk and typing, but its movepool just can't compare to gothithele

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)