Pokémon Gothitelle

What's Your Favorite Thing About Gothitelle?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would replace Shadow Ball with HP fire or at least Trick to help with that problem. Also, Earthquake is better than Aqua Tail for Tyra even if your core wasn't getting wrecked by Steels.
Actually, I already did that- i am running HP fire and Energy ball on gothitelle rather than shadow ball and signal beam cuz it was getting wrecked by rotom-w, too. oh, and i considered earthquake, but just forgot about changing it for some reason

W.r.t. the replay:
I'm not quite sold on Future Sight, seeing as after a Sub, Mawile would have KO'd Keldeo easily enough with Play Rough.
It could be replaced with T-Wave/Calm Mind to good effect.
Yes but Keldeo would have outsped and broke the sub. This gave Mawile a free turn effectively, which he wouldn't have had otherwise, and whilst it wasn't used to great effect here it's easy to see that it could be.

Why running Timid on the Choice Specs set, given that Gothitelle is already pretty slow and isn't likely to outspeed much without a scarf?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why running Timid on the Choice Specs set, given that Gothitelle is already pretty slow and isn't likely to outspeed much without a scarf?
You're correct. Timid is a pretty terrible nature on Gothitelle. I'm removing it, as well as changing a bit of the writing.

Here's the Gothitelle I like to use:

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Protect
- Future Sight

The idea is to switch in on a special attacker, set up calm mind to +6, use future sight, KO with psychic, and protect the next turn to let Future Sight KO the revenge killer.

Skip ahead to turn 20:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-150279099

More:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-150298718

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-150528345

Really gimmicky. Dark types ruin the entire operation.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Gothitelle @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Spe ?
Calm Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- ThunderWave
- Flatter
- Taunt/Protect

Ok so this set I actually came across on the Aegislash suspect ladder against someone who abused the hell out of it for 3 times in three matches...and beat me with it all 3 times. I personally think the set is pretty meh but it does hold some weight cause it makes Gothitelle just super annoying and confusion and paralysis all at once is pretty annoying, if you really want to go that route of abusing RNG. Sets pretty trash against anything but stall and only a handful of threats from the offensive side though so better to just catch something that is generally useless against facing this set but I thought I would share it cause it's actually hilarious to see this set in action, Flatter your opponent and then use the special attack boosts to help your ditto out, which is what the guy accomplished sometimes. Wasn't exactly sure of the EV spread honestly but it was so bulky against stuff like my LO Thundurus, so I'm pretty positive I was raging facing this thing at the time lol.

Last edited:
Here's the set I've been using. It looks pretty standard, until you realise I use both psyshock and psychic, and don't use trick at all.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

I ran trick originally, but found that simply locking a stall mon into a move while also losing my 1.5 boost just wasn't working. I also found myself having trouble differentiation between whether or not certain pokemon were defensive or specially defensive. The biggest example of this is Mega-Venu, who caught me off guard a few times due to its epic walling capabilities. Having both stabs allows me to break through defensive and specially defensive mons with my powerful attacks, with energy ball and thunderbolt allowing me to kill other things with some super-effective damage. Obviously, these last two moves can be played around with to suit the needs of your team, as this set is still walled by Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. All in all, despite forgoing the choice-locking power of trick, this Gothitelle set is highly effective at trapping and killing your opponent's stall mons.

Edit: Also, if someone wants to try out a competitive defog-blocker set, that'd be great
Edit 2: Like Aragorn the king said, if you want to hit Hippowdon and Suicune Harder, use Grass Knot > Energy Ball

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here's the set I've been using. It looks pretty standard, until you realise I use both psyshock and psychic, and don't use trick at all.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

I ran trick originally, but found that simply locking a stall mon into a move while also losing my 1.5 boost just wasn't working. I also found myself having trouble differentiation between whether or not certain pokemon were defensive or specially defensive. The biggest example of this is Mega-Venu, who caught me off guard a few times due to its epic walling capabilities. Having both stabs allows me to break through defensive and specially defensive mons with my powerful attacks, with energy ball and thunderbolt allowing me to kill other things with some super-effective damage. Obviously, these last two moves can be played around with to suit the needs of your team, as this set is still walled by Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. All in all, despite forgoing the choice-locking power of trick, this Gothitelle set is highly effective at trapping and killing your opponent's stall mons.

Edit: Also, if someone wants to try out a competitive defog-blocker set, that'd be great
Lol competitive Goth XD. Who knows, maybe it'll be good in NU once in like 9 months.

One thing I'd recommend is using Grass Knot > Energy Ball. Grass Knot hits Suicune and Hippowdon much harder, and only misses out on Rotom-W. But, Rotom-W is hit very hard by Psychic, can't hit you hard, and will just Volt Switch out anyway.

Lol competitive Goth XD. Who knows, maybe it'll be good in NU once in like 9 months.

One thing I'd recommend is using Grass Knot > Energy Ball. Grass Knot hits Suicune and Hippowdon much harder, and only misses out on Rotom-W. But, Rotom-W is hit very hard by Psychic, can't hit you hard, and will just Volt Switch out anyway.
Your point about grass knot is good. However, I rarely have problems with Hippowdon and Suicune regardless, and usually wont use Gothitelle to kill them, so I go for the Rotom-W kill anyways. I will edit my post to include your point for others who want to try it out.

Just came up with this set, what do you guys think of it?

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Light Screen
- Heal Pulse
- Heal Bell

It's basically meant to come in on a Special attacker, set up Light Screen, and then Heal Pulse back any damage taken while the opponent is unable to do much damage through the screen. Then you have plenty of free time to use Heal Bell without risk, or go for Psyshocks until the trapped attacker is dead. Typically when you're done, you'll have a couple of extra turns of Light Screen that another team member can have fun with.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Gothitelle @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Bold Nature
-Psychic
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Rest
-Calm Mind

Come in on Chansey, setup, to +6 and then start wrecking. And yes, you will beat Chansey by PP stalling or you can go the hax way and fish for crits/SDef drops. Although once I lost to a Chansey because WTF 3 paras in a row...
Better than other CM sets because HP Fight lets you nuke Bisharp Meta Knight and also lets you tank Meta Knight's Knock Off and KO him back. Ofc best to first get rid of strong physical attackers before doing this...

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Bold Nature
-Psychic
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Rest
-Calm Mind

Come in on Chansey, setup, to +6 and then start wrecking. And yes, you will beat Chansey by PP stalling or you can go the hax way and fish for crits/SDef drops. Although once I lost to a Chansey because WTF 3 paras in a row...
Better than other CM sets because HP Fight lets you nuke Bisharp Meta Knight and also lets you tank Meta Knight's Knock Off and KO him back. Ofc best to first get rid of strong physical attackers before doing this...
The Problem with this is that Seismic Toss 3HKO's Gothitelle. You're setting up for two turns, and then Bam, you have to rest. Well, unless you PP stall Chansey with Rest, you render the point of this set rather useless. But, say this works and you blow Chansey away. Now you have to deal with faster mons and hard hitting physical attackers, that simply rip into Gothitelle. Skarmory can Whirlwind you out and still live with Sturdy, rendering this all useless. There's a good concept to it, but so many standard mons eat into Gothitelle with this set.

Honestly all i see gothi doing is volt/uturn trapping stuff for a Gyara sweep. I dont know her stats are q bit lackluster and in my experience our resident dragking(genV reference) is sometimes just a trickscarfer of plain deadweigth against some teams. Why is this guy missing focus miss...

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
The Problem with this is that Seismic Toss 3HKO's Gothitelle. You're setting up for two turns, and then Bam, you have to rest. Well, unless you PP stall Chansey with Rest, you render the point of this set rather useless. But, say this works and you blow Chansey away. Now you have to deal with faster mons and hard hitting physical attackers, that simply rip into Gothitelle. Skarmory can Whirlwind you out and still live with Sturdy, rendering this all useless. There's a good concept to it, but so many standard mons eat into Gothitelle with this set.
With max HP investment, you have 343, making for a 4HKO. Chansey has to conserve its Seismic Toss PP eventually, and Psychic crits/Sdef drops make him die pretty quickly. If you are paranoid, just run Psyshock. With max Def, you'd be surprised at what Goth can tank:
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gothitelle: 254-300 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Adamant bisharp tho
Right now with stall teams running rampant on the ladder this can take out a lot of stuff without the right answer to it, and when coming in at the right time, you're basically taking out someone for sure, which can open up sweeps later.
I can get a lot of replays of people getting rekt by this, if you don't trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)