Gothorita QC [3/3] GP [2/2]

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Musharna is not as common as it used to be and CM + Heal Bell has become the lesser used of all of its sets. While sure, Specs Gothorita can trap and destroy Bastiodon, Probopass, and Lairon, they're not really relevant. Lairon is literally never used, Bastiodon is only found on stall teams in which Gothorita has better things to trap there, and Probopass is not common while being able to get away from a Gothorita switch with Volt Switch. The Eviolite set is capable of beating everything that the Specs set beats but with more survivability and consistency. Not to mention that it can also threaten teams even after KOing a trapped Pokemon thanks to Calm Mind.

Specs is usable on certain teams, but that's what Other Options is for. However adding that the Specs set can dent Swellow counters should be added to the mention of Specs.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay I've edited the OP wholy addressing main points, it still needs editting, but I'm tired right now and I want to do it fresh so it looks good, so I'll edit it again SOON.

Last edited:
in checks and counters, add powerful physical attackers like CB Braviary. Brav can do a lot of damage to Goth after its trapped and killed something (assuming Reflect isn't up). Otherwise I think this is ready now so

[qc]3/3[/qc] This should really get on site soon :)

if you haven't added everything everyone else has said do that before changing that, I don't feel like cross-examining all the posts to make sure you've got everything :P

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok, I'm going to blame the DDoS attacks on Smogon and PS, the forum switch, the SCMS being down, my new duties as an administrator, mikel, and Treecko; but this is finally ready for GP unless someone has an objection. I hope not.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Never thought I'd be correcting an admin :eek:

GP Check

ADD
REMOVE
COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Gothorita's stats are mediocre even when using Eviolite, but it does hasve a specific niche in the metagame given by Shadow Tag, which gives it the enabiles ity to support Pokemon by trapping and removing their counters. Gothorita can make use of its trapping ability to dispatch dangerous foes that threaten your team such as Alomomola, Seismitoad, Tangela, and Weezing. While its main niche is removing teammates' counters, (You just said this.) Gothorita can further harm the opposing team by setting up on a foe to, and then proceed to dent their team with boosted attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Rest
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Toxic / Reflect / Thunderbolt
ability: Shadow Tag
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Gothorita's main and most effective set. Psychic is the STAB move of choice, allowing tos it deals decent damage after a couple of Calm Minds; keep in mind that it's a tad weak before that.< The chosen EV spread allows it to outspeed Alomomola, against which you can Rest off its Toxic and answer cripple with a Toxic yourself, kill it with Thunderbolt, or use it as setup and jubait. Gothorita also has Rest Psychic itto heal it of Alomomola's inflicted Toxics. It can also deal with Tangela, albeit with nout ease, using Toxic to defeaint it while youGothorita stacks Calm Minds and Rest to get your health back.> (The parts enclosed with <> belong in AC as they mention Pokemon that Gothorita's EV spread enables it to defeat, just implement the changes I've made when moving it to AC.) TOnce it has trappinged the correct Pokemon, youGothorita can set up on it with Calm Mind, and Rest, being virtually unvincible by the set-up fodder you switch into. If you add into it the combination ofs well as heal with Rest when needed. Toxic and Rest,llows Gothorita can set up on many different Pokemon, get rid of them and start sweeping; cto slowly wear down walls such as Alomomon threats like Sawk are scared of being easily defeated by a prepared Gothoritala and Tangela while you set up on them (This is a very subjective change, and I apologize for that; however, you should be trying to explain Toxic and how it helps Gothorita here. What you said before didn't make sense. If you feel that my change doesn't reflect what you were trying to say, then reword it to your liking.). You can use Reflect in the fourth slot; with it and the given EV spread, you can survive 4 to 5 hitCrunches from Skuntank's Crunchs or Pursuit, which might help if you make the wrong switch in and your rivalr opponent predicts you, makingthe Gothorita switch-in, enableing it to escape from it without taking much damage, nullifying itSkuntank as a check. YouReflect can also allow Gothorita to set up on other powerful physical attackers that otherwise run over you, such as Regirock or Piloswine, that would otherwise run over it. Reflect also helps youGothorita undertake the physical attackers that might switch in on Gothorita after it defeaints a Pokemon, such as Scolipede, which KOes Gothorita unless it has Reflect onis active; however, thanks to Eviolite and Reflect, its non-Life Orb Megahorn will deal a puny 29.15 - 34.4% damage to Gothorita. YouIt can also use Thunderbolt for additional coverage over Reflect and Toxic, as it helps with dealing with Alomomola faster and damages Psychic-type resistant Pokemons that aren't afraid of Toxic, likesuch as Musharna.</p> Alright, I made a lot of structural changes here because the sentences were very choppy and didn't flow well. In addition, you mentioned Gothorita as "you" many times in this paragraph, which is incorrect, as a Pokemon is never referred to as "you", only the battler/trainer is. If you don't like the way I reworded, then feel free to change it to your liking :]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Despite its great ability and decent movepool to use it, its Special Attack is puny at best, so Gothorita needs to set up to prove to be a real danger. (Already mentioned in SC) (add line)
<p>
<This set is mainly meant to set up on a Pokemon and sweep, but it can also be helpful for other Pokemon to revenge kill lower health Pokemons or eliminate a dangerous threat such as Sawk. Gothorita excels at setting up on and defeating most physical and special walls such as Weezing, Alomomola, Vileplume, non-Dragoin Tail Lickilicky, Regice, Mantine, Gardevoir, and Audino. None of them can stop Gothorita from setting up and sweeping, but be wary of Probopassas, as it will Volt Switch out of Gothorita. Also, Toxic eases dealing with Tangela, which is still the hardest physical wall to trap. While > (The parts enclosed in <> belong in SC, not AC, please implement my changes before moving them there.) Taunt can be used against supporter Pokemon, but Reflect will be a superior option. You can use Psyshock instead of Psychic asince you are going to rack up Calm Minds anyways and hit's a better move against Regice and non-Taunt Calm Mind Serperior harder. YouGothorita can also use Sleep Talk in yourthe fourth moveslot, which lets youit make use of yourits sleeping turns, but it's a luck based movement that could go wrong, like choosing Rest twice in a row. It has also the huge downside of possibly KOing the Pokemon you are trying to set- up on before you get enough boosts. Toxic allows it to beat Musharna 1v1 and wear down non-RestTalk Regice much faster (Again, this is SC material).</p>

<p>Good teammates for Gothorita are those that can deal with the main threats that stop Gothorita from freely switching in or sweeping an entire team. Scolipede needs to be dealt with due to its magnificent sSpeed, so Misdreavus and Golurk help deal with it. Additionally, Swellow, Sawk, Kangaskhan, and Pinsir appreciate Gothorita's ability to deal with the aforementionedmajority of NU's walls. Swords Dance Samurott enjoys Gothorita's company, as Gothorita traps Alomomola, Vileplume, Pelipper, and Mantine; all of them threats that, who all plague Samurott.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Gothorita has a decent movepool and it can use Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, and diverse Hidden Powers as coverage options over, but Toxic orand Thunderbolt, but these are generally better. You can use an anti -(hyphen)hazards set with Eviolite and an EV spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe with a Modest nature with the moves Taunt / Psychic / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ground to avoidstop foes such as Golem, Regirock, Garbodor, Metang, Probopass, and Bastiodon tofrom setting up hazards. The Speed EVs allow Gothorita to outspeeds max sSpeed Golem and ties with standard Garbodor. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature guarantee a 2HKO on Regirock. Additionally, you can run a Choice Specs set with an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe and a Modest nature, outspeeding Alomomola and Tangela. ItGothorita can cripple several Pokemon with Trick; ithe combination also dent Swellow coof a Choice item and Trick. It can also runters, with Hidden Power Ground it canto beat Bastiodon, Probopass, and Lairon, which allows Gothorita to support the myriad of Pokemon that are scared out by them; but its main problem is that it doesn't hit hard enough even with Choice Specs,(AC) and Calm Mind will always be better always.</p> Please don't use abbreviations for items or moves in analyses.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are really no true counters due to Shadow Tag, the best you can do is to guess when it's going to switch inand proceed to switchbring in your check. Scolipede can check Gothorita by hitting it hard with Megahorn, but against Reflect variants,(AC) it fails to do as much significant damage. Reflect Gothorita will easily OHKO it then, as it can survive 3three hits from Scolipede's Megahorn. Skuntank can avoid takstop Gothorita from setting damageup thanks to Taunt,(AC) and it can also use Pursuit it to weaken it even on Reflect so other teammates can break past it. If yousing use the suggested spread and Reflect, its Pursuit won't damage Gothorita much, though. Choice Band Primeape with Punishment checks Gothorita well, as it can easily KO Gothorita with it after few boosts or predict the switch and U-turn out denting it (Primeape won't hit Gothorita if it switches out.). In general, powerful physical attackers, likesuch as Choice Band Braviary, can switch in after Gothorita defeats another Pokemon and hit it very hard if thereReflect is no Reflect up.</p>

There were a lot of mistakes in sentence structure and the place where information goes. There might be some misunderstandings because of this, so if there are, feel free to PM me and discuss the changes.

GP Approved 1/2

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
All changes implemented! I have to admit I wrote the write-up on a hurry, so sorry for that. You've done what I should've done in a slow review which I haven't had time for. Anyways, don't worry, the GP is cool and as I usually do I implement all the changes without a question, you are the expert in this ;)

Ready for last GP check!

[Overview]

<p>Gothorita's stats are mediocre even when using Eviolite, but it does have a specific niche in the metagame given by Shadow Tag, which enables it to support Pokemon by trapping and removing their counters. Gothorita can make use of its trapping ability to dispatch dangerous foes that threaten your team such as Alomomola, Seismitoad, Tangela, and Weezing. Gothorita can further harm the opposing team by setting up on a foe, and then proceed to dent their team with boosted attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Rest
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Toxic / Reflect / Thunderbolt
ability: Shadow Tag
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Gothorita's main and most effective set. Psychic is the STAB move of choice, as it deals decent damage after a couple of Calm Minds; keep in mind that it's a tad weak before that. This set is mainly meant to set up on a Pokemon and sweep, but it can also be helpful for other Pokemon to revenge kill lower health weakened Pokemon or eliminate a dangerous threat such as Sawk. Gothorita excels at setting up on and defeating most physical and special walls such as Weezing, Alomomola, Vileplume, non-Dragon Tail Lickilicky, Regice, Mantine, Gardevoir, and Audino. None of them can stop Gothorita from setting up and sweeping, but be wary of Probopass, as it will Volt Switch out of Gothorita. Once it has trapped the correct Pokemon, Gothorita can set up on it with Calm Mind, as well as heal with Rest when needed. Toxic allows Gothorita to slowly wear down walls such as Alomomola and Tangela while you it sets up on them. i'd put a paragraph break here You can use Reflect in the fourth slot; with it and the given EV spread, you Gothorita can survive about four or five Crunches from Skuntank, which might help if your opponent predicts the Gothorita switch-in. enabling it This enables Gothorita to escape without taking much damage, nullifying Skuntank as a check. Reflect can also allow Gothorita to set up on other powerful physical attackers, such as Regirock or Piloswine, that would otherwise run over it. Reflect also helps Gothorita undertake take on the physical attackers that might switch in on after it defeats a Pokemon, such as Scolipede, which KOes Gothorita unless Reflect is active; however, thanks to Eviolite and Reflect, its non-Life Orb Megahorn will deal a puny 29.15 - 34.4% damage to Gothorita. It Gothorita can also use Thunderbolt for additional coverage over Reflect and Toxic, as it helps with dealing with Alomomola faster and damages Psychic resists that aren't afraid of Toxic, such as Musharna.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The chosen EV spread allows Gothorita to outspeed Alomomola, which it can cripple with Toxic, kill with Thunderbolt, or use it as setup bait set up on. Gothorita also has Rest to heal it of Alomomola's inflicted Toxics. It This can also help it deal with Tangela, albeit with nout ease 'with some / considerable difficulty' is better imo, using Toxic to defeat it while Gothorita stacks Calm Minds and Rest to get your its health back. Taunt can be used against support Pokemon, but Reflect will be a superior option. You can use Psyshock instead of Psychic as it hits Regice and non-Taunt Calm Mind Serperior harder. Gothorita can also use Sleep Talk in the fourth moveslot, which lets it make use of its sleeping turns, but it's a luck based movement choice that could go wrong, like for instance choosing Rest twice in a row. It has also the huge downside of possibly KOing the Pokemon you are Gothorita is trying to set up on before you get Gothorita gets enough boosts.</p>

<p>Good teammates for Gothorita are those that can deal with the threats that stop Gothorita from freely switching in or sweeping an entire team. Scolipede needs to be dealt with due to its magnificent Speed, so Misdreavus and Golurk help deal with it make good partners. Additionally, Swellow, Sawk, Kangaskhan, and Pinsir appreciate Gothorita's ability to deal with the majority of NU's walls. Swords Dance Samurott enjoys Gothorita's company, as Gothorita traps Alomomola, Vileplume, Pelipper, and Mantine, who all all of whom plague Samurott.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Gothorita can use Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, and diverse Hidden Powers as coverage options, but Toxic and Thunderbolt are generally better. You It can use an anti-hazards set of Taunt, Psychic, Grass Knot, and Hidden Power Ground with Eviolite and a nature and an EV spread of Modest, 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe with a Modest nature with the moves Taunt / Psychic / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ground to stop foes such as Golem, Regirock, Garbodor, Metang, Probopass, and Bastiodon from setting up hazards. The Speed EVs allow Gothorita to outspeed max Speed Golem and tie with standard Garbodor. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature guarantee a 2HKO on Regirock. Additionally, you Gothorita can run a Choice Specs set with an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe and a Modest nature, outspeeding Alomomola and Tangela. Gothorita can cripple several Pokemon with the combination of a Choice item and Trick. It can also run Hidden Power Ground to beat Bastiodon, Probopass, and Lairon, which allows Gothorita to support the myriad of Pokemon that are scared out by them. ; but However, its main problem is that it doesn't hit hard enough even with Choice Specs,(AC) and Calm Mind will always be better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are really no true counters due to Shadow Tag;(semicolon) the best you can do is guess when it's going to switch in and proceed to bring in your check. Scolipede can check Gothorita by hitting it hard with Megahorn, but fails to do much to against Reflect variants,(AC) it fails to do much. Reflect Gothorita will easily OHKO it then, as it can survive three hits from Scolipede's Megahorn. Skuntank can stop Gothorita from setting up thanks to Taunt,(AC) and it can also use Pursuit to weaken it even on Reflect 'through' reflect? 'despite reflect'? so other teammates can break past it. If Gothorita is using use the suggested spread and Reflect, its Pursuit won't damage Gothorita much, though. Choice Band Primeape with Punishment checks Gothorita well, as it can easily KO Gothorita with it after few boosts or predict the switch and U-turn out. In general, powerful physical attackers, such as Choice Band Braviary, can switch in after Gothorita defeats another Pokemon and hit it very hard if Reflect is not up.</p>
gp 2/2 please make sure you make the changes right at the end joim!! :)

edit: not very sure if it's my place to say so but just thinking that the order of the moves in the set looks a little weird - seeing as the set's named 'calm mind' wouldn't it make more sense for calm mind to be the first slash? calm mind / psychic / rest seems like the most intuitive order to me

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Hey, in the overview you call Alomomola, Seismitoad, Tangela, and Weezing "dangerous foes that threaten your team", and it'd make way more sense to continue on the previous sentence by saying that these are the counters you're removing, or just walls you remove, or etc

Edit: Oh, come on. Those four are dangerous foes that threaten your team? There's no non-crappy Pokemon that fits that descriptions LESS that i can think of. I mean, every Pokemon worth using is threatening in some way, but those four are about the least threatening imaginable.

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think the overview is fine as-is, and this can be uploaded once joim impliments sirn's check.

HI SIRN :>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)