gotta love advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It's the site's slogan because that's how we want our players to behave - not like Smogon's tournaments subforum. It's also catchy and can be used as a line in many situations. That's why it's also on the heading as shown in screenshots earlier in the thread and on our t-shirts.
umm firestorm that link doesn't work can you fix it please :evan:

Kinda glad I didn't log back onto the forums until recently, I didn't get to see any of the shit you guys are talking about (well ABP does a good job, too).

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
long ago, the two forums lived in peace

but everything changed when firestorm attacked

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's the site's slogan because that's how we want our players to behave - not like Smogon's tournaments subforum. It's also catchy and can be used as a line in many situations.
Ok, but even then... why not something more positive like:

"I did my best, and that's what counts."

Which still doesn't sound like a site slogan, and still sounds weird with no context. How about something that better sells the the philosophy of the site, like:

"Real sportsmanship, real friends, real competitive Pokemon."

Something that's catchy, positive, and also builds a mantra/philosophy. "I have no regrets" just sounds like you're throwing up your hands-- or something. Even if you're selling the values, there has definitely got to be something to better speak the values. To me, the current slogan sounds too much like angst about the chip on the shoulder, instead of one that sells the vision for the future. Just my insights, take it or leave it.

One thing it does do is advertise to us veteran Smogoners "THIS IS THE COMMUNITY SYNRE AND CO MADE, COME CHECK IT OUT" because it's from his LoA post. That definitely encouraged ME to click on it to find out about how it's going / how you guys are doing. However, I don't think I (and others in the same category) are the audience you guys want to pull in with your advertisement, so maybe that's not such a big benefit. The site does look great though. :)

alternatively:

"Competitive Pokemon off the internet, let's make it happen!" (jk ;) )

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Because that's not what the people on the in game nugget bridge say....

Why does everyone have to be such dicks to each other. We're all really not that different. We all want to hang out, play competitive pokemon, and help other people get better at competitive pokemon. What the url is shouldn't matter. No one should care. We should only care about the best way to do the above.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
It's the site's slogan because that's how we want our players to behave - not like Smogon's tournaments subforum. It's also catchy and can be used as a line in many situations. That's why it's also on the heading as shown in screenshots earlier in the thread and on our t-shirts.

I would like to luvdisc iconic's post
Ah, Smogon's tournament players. Like the ones in this thread who are misattributing your criticisms of Smogon as ones made by the entirety of Nugget Bridge. And the ones who are bashing you the most in this thread. Such riffraff.

Also surprised that fewer people remember that "I did my best; I have no regrets" line considering they said it not only in RBY, but also in GSC and the remakes.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i am not surprised with the reaction to the line "i did my best, i have no regrets". despite how many ways you can interpret and take that line, i feel only those who have truly played and attended vgc events will understand it. i remember long before nuggetbridge even went up i used that line (i'm like 99% sure, or at least it was very close to that line). i had gone through about 3 people and was oh so very close to making it to the finalists lounge, but then got taken out in a very close battle. after going through some anger, bitterness and intense reflection of that entire days battles, i told myself "oh well, i did my best i have no regrets". heh, it must have been one of the few times i couldn't simply blame being taken out on hax

i really liked this though, but then again i'm not the creator of the site. hell i'm even surprised i've managed to remain retired with all thats going on. official vgc wifi friendlies, black/white 2 release, falls regionals around the corner.

wow how am i still retired. it must have really just been my time i am enjoying retirement very much

Edit: also i think as a vgc player you'll always have regrets, so i find it funny in that regard. But thats just me though. or maybe i just always had one move i wish i could have done diffrently or there was always a mistake i realized a few seconds too late/after the battle was over

and A+ post Alaka, couldn't agree more

Why does everyone have to be such dicks to each other. We're all really not that different. We all want to hang out, play competitive pokemon, and help other people get better at competitive pokemon. What the url is shouldn't matter. No one should care. We should only care about the best way to do the above.
my favorite post in this thread. );

she doesnt even go here

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because that's not what the people on the in game nugget bridge say....

Can you point out where people were dicks in this thread (besides locopoke... but then I'd say you have to deal with a certain level of "the internet")?

TBH, I can't speak for IRC, but I saw barely any of the anti-VGC sentiment described in Synre's LoA on the forums. I definitely thought the majority of the community (or at least its leadership) was (and is) dedicated to cooperation between groups, and upholding a base level of civility; and I thought it was going well. From where I sat, it definitely looked like the VGC community instigate/fabricated conflict in the face of people trying to be reasonable and fair. People had different opinions that they did defend but, I with decent mutual respect I saw it as people agreeing to disagree--what was wrong there?

Granted, I had no idea what went on at the super mod/admin level discussions, but then that was also Synre's call wasn't it?

Obviously, if what was demanded was "forget the old singles/sim metas, and wake up that VGC is the only Pokemon worth caring about!" obviously that wasn't going to happen, and I think it would be fair to call that unreasonable to say the least. That definitely wasn't what it looked like Synre was trying to aim for in his calls for diplomacy (which I think were largely successful!).

(and yeah, I know that we're totally falling for locopoke's troll here, but wtf I'll bite. I didn't start the conversation, but I'm not against having it)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Which still doesn't sound like a site slogan, and still sounds weird with no context. How about something that better sells the the philosophy of the site, like:

Something that's catchy, positive, and also builds a mantra/philosophy. "I have no regrets" just sounds like you're throwing up your hands-- or something. Even if you're selling the values, there has definitely got to be something to better speak the values. To me, the current slogan sounds too much like angst about the chip on the shoulder, instead of one that sells the vision for the future. Just my insights, take it or leave it.

One thing it does do is advertise to us veteran Smogoners "THIS IS THE COMMUNITY SYNRE AND CO MADE, COME CHECK IT OUT" because it's from his LoA post. That definitely encouraged ME to click on it to find out about how it's going / how you guys are doing. However, I don't think I (and others in the same category) are the audience you guys want to pull in with your advertisement, so maybe that's not such a big benefit. The site does look great though. :)

alternatively:

"Competitive Pokemon off the internet, let's make it happen!" (jk ;) )
I didn't even remember that Scott had that in his going away post. As you said, you're one of the few who would take the words that way and that's because you associate the words with something 99.9% of the internet has not read. More importantly, you're reading really deeply into something that's not really that deep.

We didn't all sit down for a five hour IRC discussion followed by an internal staff forum thread about the ROI our slogan would have. It's not something we care to do. We like the slogan because it's a fun and catchy quote from a relevant part of the game that happened to be a good way to approach the game. I'm pretty sure nobody thought about how effective "Pokemon on the internet, let's make it happen" or "Nil Sine Pokemon" would be in 2004 either.

Although with the release of Black and White 2, "nuggetaboutit" is pretty tempting.

Eo: forum, not players.

sandshrewz: not alone :)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Yeah, it's not a direct quote; that's just the attitude I got from the overall post.

I didn't mean to read into it too much, my bad. :/

The fact that the words can be associated with something 99.9% of the internet couldn't have read is what made it seem weird to me. But as you said, I probably read into it too much; I'd completely forgotten what the people on nugget bridge say when you beat them.

I didn't even remember that Scott had that in his going away post. As you said, you're one of the few who would take the words that way and that's because you associate the words with something 99.9% of the internet has not read. More importantly, you're reading really deeply into something that's not really that deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)