Pokémon Gourgeist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on the viability of a trick gourgeist?

For example:

Gourgeist-Super @ Choice Specs,etc
Frisk, Careful/Calm
252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 SpD
- Trick
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak/Fire Blast/Flamethrower

I'd think that average would do pretty well, because it has decent hp, speed and pretty good attack

Plus I found a shiny one thats average so I'm buttering it up :)

I think an EV spread something like 252 hp, 152 special def, 76 speed and 76 special attack would do well for a special and physical gourgeist. Otherwise, swapping special attack for attack would work, I think :)

I've found that Heatran has really good synergy with Gourgeist. Gourgeist takes physical moves from things Heatran fears (Fighting, Ground, Water) like a champ and tends to be able to retaliate with WoW or Leech Seed. Meanwhile, Heatran technically takes Ice, Flying and Fire moves like a pro, all which Gourgeist fears. Gourgeist also tends to act as a lure, bringing in Fire types or Grass types which are immune to WoW and Leech Seed, respectively.

Edit: Eeek, of course. How could I have forgotten (Steel's resistances)

Last edited:
I've found that Heatran has really good synergy with Gourgeist. Gourgeist takes physical moves from things Heatran fears (Fighting, Ground, Water) like a champ and tends to be able to retaliate with WoW or Leech Seed. Meanwhile, Heatran technically takes Ice, Ghost, Dark, Flying and Fire moves like a pro, all which Gourgeist fears. Gourgeist also tends to act as a lure, bringing in Fire types or Grass types which are immune to WoW and Leech Seed, respectively.
While Heatran is still a good partner to Gourgeist, know that Heatran does not resist Ghost or Dark type moves anymore =(

I'm new here, so excuse me for asking, but would it make sense to talk about Pumpkaboo here as well? I've been trying to figure out if Eviolite Pumpkaboo could be viable.

I'm new here, so excuse me for asking, but would it make sense to talk about Pumpkaboo here as well? I've been trying to figure out if Eviolite Pumpkaboo could be viable.
I doubt it, to be honest. Leftovers is so essential with Gourgeist's slow pace--and while it does not look like much, Gourgeist's attack is quite usable.

Do the movepools per form differ? It gave me a message that super form cant learn phantom force but normal gourgeist can. Or is it just a bug?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do the movepools per form differ? It gave me a message that super form cant learn phantom force but normal gourgeist can. Or is it just a bug?
Probably just a bug, as far as i know, there are absolutely no differences between the movepools of each size of Gourgeist :x.

Anyways, to add a bit more content to this post, i too have been curious about whether Gourgeist+Heatran would make a good core. On paper, it definitely looks rather good. Gourgeist is capable of taking things like Earthquakes and Close Combats for heatran with near impunity, and also happens to serve as a good check to the bulky water-types that could become annoyances to the lava dome Pokemon. Gourgeist can even spinblock Heatran's Stealth Rock if it comes down to it, spinblocking excadrill rather nicely in fact (although of course it can't do anything about defog...). In return Heatran can take on Pokemon such as Volcarona and Talonflame that really threaten Gourgeist. Looks like a pretty solid core to me and i think i'll definitely be giving this a shot in the near future.

Last edited:
The problem I see with that is without a 3rd core to wish pass, they could just be brute forced chipping away without recovery

The problem I see with that is without a 3rd core to wish pass, they could just be brute forced chipping away without recovery
It's not the best but pain split + leech seed + leftovers +phantom force to stall more turns make it pretty damn hard to take gourgeist out.

I have had some success with the surprise factor on the Trick Room Setter set proposed earlier in the thread.

Gourgeist-XL @ Normal Gem
252 HP / 252+ ATK / 4 SpA / -SPE
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Blast

Enemies rarely expect most of these moves, in my experience. This set gets positively wrecked by Talonflame, but so do all of them. Shadow Sneak hits and 2HKOs a lot of fragile ghost/psychic types who might try to switch in and take advantage of Gourgeist's lower Special Defense. Fire Blast hits Scizor/Forretress/Skarmory/Ferrothorn for good damage, and it even once came in handy when a Focus Sash Curse Body Frosslass disabled my Shadow Sneak on WiFi. When in doubt, against any non-rock/steel/ghost you don't think you can beat, Trick Room + Explosion has a good chance to ruin their day.

I like the stall set, though. I might breed one for another team I am working on, though I think this one works better on a TR team.

I have had some success with the surprise factor on the Trick Room Setter set proposed earlier in the thread.

Gourgeist-XL @ Normal Gem
252 HP / 252+ ATK / 4 SpA / -SPE
- Explosion
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Blast

Enemies rarely expect most of these moves, in my experience. This set gets positively wrecked by Talonflame, but so do all of them. Shadow Sneak hits and 2HKOs a lot of fragile ghost/psychic types who might try to switch in and take advantage of Gourgeist's lower Special Defense. Fire Blast hits Scizor/Forretress/Skarmory/Ferrothorn for good damage, and it even once came in handy when a Focus Sash Curse Body Frosslass disabled my Shadow Sneak on WiFi. When in doubt, against any non-rock/steel/ghost you don't think you can beat, Trick Room + Explosion has a good chance to ruin their day.

I like the stall set, though. I might breed one for another team I am working on, though I think this one works better on a TR team.
I might try this set since I already iv bred brave super size pumpkaboos, any recommended trick room allies to put on the same party?

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but you actually can beat talonflame with Gougeist-XL so long as it isn't packing a band.

You take 75% without orb, and then swing back with rock slide. Whenever I see talonflame in preview, I put Gourgeist in, checking for band with frisk, and if there isn't one I get a free kill. This'll probably stop working when people get better overall, though.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but you actually can beat talonflame with Gougeist-XL so long as it isn't packing a band.

You take 75% without orb, and then swing back with rock slide. Whenever I see talonflame in preview, I put Gourgeist in, checking for band with frisk, and if there isn't one I get a free kill. This'll probably stop working when people get better overall, though.
That could be useful, but I think Gourgeist has better things to do with its moveslots than pack Rock Slide so that maybe you can get a free Talonflame kill (if it's not holding CB).

I might try this set since I already iv bred brave super size pumpkaboos, any recommended trick room allies to put on the same party?
I am planning to use the Goodra/MegaMawile core. I came up with it independently, but I think it's been thought of by a lot of folks. Goodra is weak to Dragon/Ice/Fairy, which Mawile is Immune/Resist/Resist, and Goodra resists Fire. That only leaves Mawile's Ground Weakness, which GourgeistXL resists.

Other team members I am looking at include Clefable/Vaporeon (to heal Gourgeist/Mawile/Goodra with Wish) and Slowbro (bulky Trick Room setter who can come in multiple times). That leaves one slot for hazard control, so Forretress, Donphan or Skarmory is pretty much required.

I am planning to use the Goodra/MegaMawile core. I came up with it independently, but I think it's been thought of by a lot of folks. Goodra is weak to Dragon/Ice/Fairy, which Mawile is Immune/Resist/Resist, and Goodra resists Fire. That only leaves Mawile's Ground Weakness, which GourgeistXL resists.

Other team members I am looking at include Clefable/Vaporeon (to heal Gourgeist/Mawile/Goodra with Wish) and Slowbro (bulky Trick Room setter who can come in multiple times). That leaves one slot for hazard control, so Forretress, Donphan or Skarmory is pretty much required.
Sweet I can almost entirely run that lol, Already have flawless iv bred for Goomy and Mawile, and have both vaporeon and clafable, just need to get the hazzards and slowbro.

I am thinking ferrathorn for hazards just to cover slowbro.

thats funny, i was going to do that combo myself, along with gougeist. didn't know that combination was popular.

Love this guy, Leech Seed + WoW is great. Clefable's definitely gonna give him a lot of trouble with Magic Guard. Hope to use him on my NU team with Flareon.

I don't think Gourgeist is going to be an NU pokemon by a long shot... it has OU potential as a bulky spinblocker and will likely be RU at the lowest.

I don't think Gourgeist is going to be an NU pokemon by a long shot... it has OU potential as a bulky spinblocker and will likely be RU at the lowest.
Gotta remember the value of spin blockers dropped with defog, but its other attributes let it be way better than NU. I'm betting UU solid right now, but I could be wrong.

Leech Seed allows Gourgeist to sap health from opponents, and the residual damage can stack greatly alongside Will-O-Wisp (25% damage per turn! That's like Curse, except you weaken physical attackers, the burn can't be switched out of and you actually heal instead of half killing yourself!). That said, neither Leech Seed nor Pain Split are very reliable methods of healing, but Gourgeist will have to take what it can get :P
Why not SubSeedSplit?

Has anyone tried mixing the two?

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
One thing to note is that since Gourgeist has 4 different forms, each one of these forms will likely be tiered individually. Obviously, tiers are still a long way off at this point, but consider that if Super Size makes OU/UU, the smaller forms might still be available in the lower tiers, etc.
Gotta remember the value of spin blockers dropped with defog, but its other attributes let it be way better than NU. I'm betting UU solid right now, but I could be wrong.
I keep hearing this, but Defog was incredibly overhyped. Defog is very rare, and although more viable users will appear once Pokebank launches, Rapid Spin is still the better option. Gourgeist is one of the best spinblockers as well, since it walls popular spinners like Excadrill and Donphan.
Why not SubSeedSplit?

Has anyone tried mixing the two?
Yes, actually. In fact, dropping substitute and running both Leech Seed and Pain Split gives Gourgeist surprising sustain. Remember that smaller Gourgeist forms are less bulky, but much more effective at using Pain Split for healing than larger forms. You can run substitute as well, but then you'd lack an offensive move which is a bad idea. Take a look at the analysis (link in my signature)!

One thing to note is that since Gourgeist has 4 different forms, each one of these forms will likely be tiered individually. Obviously, tiers are still a long way off at this point, but consider that if Super Size makes OU/UU, the smaller forms might still be available in the lower tiers, etc.
Hadn't considered this, and I'll admit that the grass typing makes him an impressive spinblocker, but pokes like Scizor and Crobat with access to Defog will hurt his effectiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)