Granbull (QC 0/3)

Skeleton by Trop, with me filling in empty spots and adding to others

Overview
########
  • Fairy Type means Granbull is no longer outclassed at everything it could possibly do and allows the dog to check things like Druddigon, Hitmonlee, Virizion, Physical Sharpedo, and Physical/Mixed Zoroark easily
  • Great attack
  • Good coverage moves and support moves
  • Intimidate is obviously an amazing ability
  • No Reliable Recovery
  • Bad special bulk
  • Slower than a grandpa riding a bike
  • Defensive set has some competition from Aromatisse

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Play Rough
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Rock Slide / Ice Punch
ability: Intimidate
item: Choice Band
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Play Rough is its only physical fairy STAB
  • EQ allows Granbull to 2HKO Registeel, Doublade, Qwilfish, and Rhyperior (this one might need a bit of prior damage)
  • Fire Punch is Granbull's best option to take Bronzong, Amoonguss, and Escavalier
  • Rock Slide hits Moltres and Fletchinder
  • Ice Punch is only if you really really hate Gligar and want a safe move to use if your opponent has something like Amoonguss alive

Set Details
========
  • Speed investment allows the dog to outspeed uninvested base 50s
  • 252 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature hit as hard as possible
  • The rest is added into bulk
  • Intimidate lowers an opponents physical attack, letting it sponge physical hits better
  • Choice Band lets Granbull hit insanely hard
Usage Tips
========
  • it beats Druddigon
  • This set functions more like a hit-and-run,
Team Options
========
  • Doublade can form a core with Granbull as Doublade covers Granbulls weaknesses and Granbull can cripple physical attackers that threaten Doublade with Intimidate
  • Rhyperior covers the Poison weakness and gets rid of opposing Doublade
  • Meloetta
  • Jolteon
  • more coming later

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 3: Heal Bell
move 4: Roar
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
nature: Impish

Moves
========
  • Play Rough is its only physical stab
  • Earthquake to hit steels and grounded Fire types
  • Heal Bell lets Granbull heal itself and teammates from status
  • Roar lets Granbull rack up hazards damage and force out set up sweepers

Set Details
========
  • 24 speeds outspeed uninvested Druddigon
  • Leftovers provides passive recovery, as granbull has no other form of it
  • 252 HP EVs help max out bulk, while Impish and the rest of the EVs in Defense help max out physical bulk
  • Intimidate is godly with defense investment as it allows Granbull to take physical hits better

Usage Tips
========
  • Granbull forces switches against Pokemon such as Hitmonlee, which gives it a free turn to Heal Bell if necessary
  • Roar screws up setup sweepers, so predict when an opponent will try to set up
Team Options
========
  • Alomomola
  • Roselia
  • Drapion
  • Registeel
  • Rhyperior
  • Doublade
  • Slowking

Other Options
########
  • Granbull can run a set with Close Combat, but it provides only overlapping coverage and a drop in physical defense isn't exactly great
  • Bulk Up is usable, but intimidate negates the defense boost and Granbull already has a decent attack stat
  • Quick Feet sets can work, but Granbull will be put on a timer the second it gets statused
  • Substitute and Focus Punch can work, but like Close Combat, it provides only overlapping coverage. However, it is very powerful and can work as a wallbreaker
  • Stone Edge can hit Moltres
Checks & Counters
########

**Weezing** Weezing takes anything Granbull can offer well, and can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp or just hit it with Sludge Bomb

**Alomomola** Alomomola takes any hit from Granbull, and can burn it with Scald

**Golbat** Although Golbat can be hit hard with the elemental punches, it can status Granbull with Toxic and stall it out.

**Bronzong** Bronzong can easily set up on Granbull as it does not take any damage outside of Choice-banded Fire Punch

**Gligar** Gligar can stall Granbull out as it takes most physical hits from it very well, but should be wary of Ice Punch

**Fletchinder** Fletchinder can burn Granbull, and set up Swords Dance despite Intimidate

**Durant** Durant OHKOs Granbull with Hustle Iron Head despite the Intimidate drop, but is OHKOd by Fire Punch

**Special Attackers** Granbull has bad Special Bulk, and relies on Intimidate and its physical bulk to tank most hits, which is why Special Attackers such as Moltres are a problem

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
CTRL + F Thunder Wave, 0 results found. Seriously, that thing is good on the second set, and one of the only reasons I'd ever use it over Rest + Sleep Talk (which is the best set by the way, and isn't even written nor mentioned), since it can tank Knock Offs from pretty much everything that uses it more easily and heal back, while perfectly countering Hitmonlee (which almost no other Pokemon can brag about).

Choice Band is probably an acceptable set, but there's no way in the world it should be first on a Granbull analysis. Slashes should be Play Rough, Earthquake, Ice Punch and then Rock Slide with Crunch. Mention how it acts as a lure, since it is unexpected at first and how it can still switch into things but not as consistently as defensive sets. Also, it doesn't win against Druddigon 100% of the time, since there are fast variants using Gunk Shot.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Druddigon Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 270-320 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're easy to wear down, so it shouldn't be too hard for the Druddigon user to put you into KO range, since there's no RestTalk set mentioned.

Into the C&C: Weak. Weezing is a good counter, but what about the other Poison-types? What about the fact Weezing gets Toxic Spikes up for free against Granbull and can destroy the rest of your team with them? How can Fletchinder set up on your Granbull set if it has Roar and Heal Bell for Will-O-Wisp? Also: Alomomola, Gligar and Golbat can't hurt a Rest + Sleep Talk set back and you can stall them since you don't have to consume PP will sleeping.

So, set order should be RestTalk > Tank > Choice Band, looking like this:

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 4: Play Rough
evs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def

OO: Another offensive move, 252/252+ (although Adamant and 16 Atk EVs actually buff its damage considerably), Roar over Heal Bell, dropping Sleep Talk for a different move or EVing to outrun slow Druddigon (although no one runs that, since even sets that require less Speed end up creeping a little. Mention how it has more offensive pressure and physically defensive potential over Aromatisse.

Tank
########
name: Tank
move 4: Thunder Wave / Roar

I'd probably run some Speed on this one possibly, but CBA in checking benchmarks right now. OO are different offensive moves, 3 offensive moves with more Attack investment and probably some more.

Choice Band
########
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Rock Slide / Crunch

Crunch calcs and why it deserves a slash:

252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 178-210 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 236-278 (55.6 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Crunch vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 186-220 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not the strongest move, but it's your best option against the Psychic-types that are on the rise. Fire Punch's coverage is redundant with Earthquake and Play Rough, since is pretty much only hits Durant that the other moves don't.

This is all I think. Empathize how much this benefits from Wish support too, since even though I see Alomomola mentions, they're way too brief, even if this is only a skeleton.

CTRL + F Thunder Wave, 0 results found. Seriously, that thing is good on the second set, and one of the only reasons I'd ever use it over Rest + Sleep Talk (which is the best set by the way, and isn't even written nor mentioned), since it can tank Knock Offs from pretty much everything that uses it more easily and heal back, while perfectly countering Hitmonlee (which almost no other Pokemon can brag about).

Choice Band is probably an acceptable set, but there's no way in the world it should be first on a Granbull analysis. Slashes should be Play Rough, Earthquake, Ice Punch and then Rock Slide with Crunch. Mention how it acts as a lure, since it is unexpected at first and how it can still switch into things but not as consistently as defensive sets. Also, it doesn't win against Druddigon 100% of the time, since there are fast variants using Gunk Shot.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Druddigon Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 270-320 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're easy to wear down, so it shouldn't be too hard for the Druddigon user to put you into KO range, since there's no RestTalk set mentioned.

Into the C&C: Weak. Weezing is a good counter, but what about the other Poison-types? What about the fact Weezing gets Toxic Spikes up for free against Granbull and can destroy the rest of your team with them? How can Fletchinder set up on your Granbull set if it has Roar and Heal Bell for Will-O-Wisp? Also: Alomomola, Gligar and Golbat can't hurt a Rest + Sleep Talk set back and you can stall them since you don't have to consume PP will sleeping.

So, set order should be RestTalk > Tank > Choice Band, looking like this:

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 4: Play Rough

OO: Another offensive move, 252/252+ (although Adamant and 16 Atk EVs actually buff its damage considerably), Roar over Heal Bell, dropping Sleep Talk for a different move or EVing to outrun slow Druddigon (although no one runs that, since even sets that require less Speed end up creeping a little. Mention how it has more offensive pressure and physically defensive potential over Aromatisse.

Tank
########
name: Tank
move 4: Thunder Wave / Roar

I'd probably run some Speed on this one possibly, but CBA in checking benchmarks right now. OO are different offensive moves, 3 offensive moves with more Attack investment and probably some more.

Choice Band
########
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Rock Slide / Crunch

Crunch calcs and why it deserves a slash:

252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 178-210 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 236-278 (55.6 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Crunch vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 186-220 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not the strongest move, but it's your best option against the Psychic-types that are on the rise. Fire Punch's coverage is redundant with Earthquake and Play Rough, since is pretty much only hits Durant that the other moves don't.

This is all I think. Empathize how much this benefits from Wish support too, since even though I see Alomomola mentions, they're way too brief, even if this is only a skeleton.
yo i should've still left this as WIP, but I changed it to QC cause I don't want to make it appear that I'm pushing it off. This is really still not ready for presentation :P

edit: Actually, I'm dropping this, I don't really want to work on Granbull

Bulky attacker
########
Granbull @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Wild Charge

Assault vest makes Granbull more bulky on it's defense and special defense without the need to invest EVS, instead this set allows you to invest 252 EV into Granbull's great 120 base attack and 208 EV into it's decent 90 base HP with the remaining 44 EVs, I choose to invest into speed, as it allows it to out speed uninvested base 50s. Ice punch and Wild charge gives Granbull the bolt-beam combo, which is great neutral coverage. Play Rough is its only physical stab and and earthquake rounds up Granbull's move pool resulting in perfect coverage.

Did you just take that from BTs video? It's his exact moveset and ev spread. Assault vest granbull really is not good in that it cannot hit as hard as a choice band set, and it doesn't have the utility or survivability of the tank or rest talk set.
I don't think it really matters where the source of the set is from but I thought I would contribute that set. It appears this thread is pretty much dead anyways. I think the set is alright but at the end of the day Granbull is still NU. Everyone pretty knows Granbull's sets anyways as it's really cookie cutter.

I don't think it really matters where the source is from but I thought I would contribute that set. It appears this thread is pretty much dead anyways. I think the set is alright but at the end of the day Granbull is still NU. Everyone pretty knows Granbull's sets anyways as it's really cookie cutter.
I don't really want to work on this. You can take it if you want, but be sure to read through the analysis rules and guidelines.

I think AV deserves a other options mention, as it may be worth something. I appreciate you contributing, though. The defensive and rest talk sets are cookie cutter for a reason, because they are really damn good.
I'd agree that defensive set is the most viable set with play rough, EQ, heal bell and *insert random support move*. I guess it has a niche in RU because of Druddigon.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rest talk set with heal bell, bulk up or roar is probably worth a mention.
so RestTalk with Heal Bell and Bulk Up/Roar? You do realize that set would have no attacking options, right? It would be literally a sitting duck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)