1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gravity Room

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by arttysuperman, Jul 28, 2013.

?

Which Pokemon should I replace OR modify?

1. Celebi

50.0%
  2. Jirachi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dugtrio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Landprus-T

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Espeon

50.0%
  6. Scizor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. arttysuperman

arttysuperman

Introduction
    So I had this idea to incorporate both Gravity and Trick Room tactics into one fully functional OU team. I also drew inspiration from some VoltTurn teams. My thought process was that since Ground types are generally slow in terms of BST that Gravity would synergize well with Trick Room. Only problem is that a lot of the Pokémon I use have 4MSS. I also looked up a list of Pokemon that can use BOTH Gravity and Trick Room. They are : Alakazam, Bronzong, Claydol, Cresselia, Dusclops, Gothitelle, Jirachi, Klinklang, Meloetta, Mew, Reuniclus, Porygon2, Porygon-Z, Sigilyph, and Starmie. If you guys could help me look over my team and maybe replace an existing Pokémon in my team with one of the Pokémon above OR replace it with a powerful abuser of Gravity and/or Trick Room, that would be great! Thanks! :)​
    Team At A Glance
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Analysis
    [​IMG]
    Starman (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 224 SDef / 252 HP / 32 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Wish
    - U-turn
    - Gravity
    - Protect

Jirachi is equal to Celebi in terms of importance for this team. I use him to set up Gravity and then I U-Turn him out. Alternatively, I could use him to pass a Wish boost to one of my team mates. I can't decide whether or not I should make Jirachi the Physical Wall of the team and then make Celebi the Special one, or vise-versa.​

[​IMG]
    CelebrateGudTimesComeOn (Celebi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Heal Bell
    - Trick Room
    - U-turn
    - Recover

Celebi is here to set up Trick Room and high-tail it out of there with U-Turn. I gave her a negative Speed Nature and dropped her Speed IV's down to 0 to maximize the effects of Trick Room. Celebi also functions as the teams Cleric, providing helpful Heal Bell Support which when combined with Jirachi makes for a sturdy support system. I can't decide whether I should make Celebi the Special Wall of the team leaving Jirachi as the Physical Wall or vise-versa.​
    [​IMG]
    Thugtrio (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Reversal
    - Earthquake
    - Sucker Punch
    - Stone Edge

Dugtrio is the only Pokémon on this team that I do not want to be replaced at any point during this teams progression stages. Dugtrio is here to Trap and revenge kill Pokémon with Arena Trap. When under Gravity, Arena Trap works on everything even Flying Types, Levitators, and Air Balloon users. I kind of want to change up his move pool a bit but I'm having trouble finding a better set. I think this set might be the best one to run for this team but if you guys think otherwise please let me know.​
    [​IMG]
    Gypsy (Espeon) @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Calm Mind
    - Morning Sun
    - Stored Power
    - Baton Pass

Espeon is here to protect my team from Entry Hazards. If someone sends in like a Ferrothorn or Forretress on my Celebi, I U-Turn out and switch in Espeon and bounce it back. She also helps keep momentum with Baton Pass where she can also pass a CM boost or two to either Jirachi or Celebi. If you guys think that maybe I would be better off with a traditional spinner (one that functions better under "Gravity Room" let me know.​
    [​IMG]
    Mr. Dig Bick (Scizor) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Scizor is literally here just to fill a slot on my team. I don't know what I should replace him with. Maybe something that benefits more from Gravity and Trick Room (i.e. a powerful Earthquake user) or something that would probably benefit more from a CM pass from Espeon. I chose Scizor for his ability to keep momentum with U-turn but also for his strong priority. If there is a better abuser for "Gravity Room" please let me know. Scizor will be the first to go.​
    [​IMG]
    Landbrony (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

Landorus is here to hit things hard with Earthquake. Stone Edge gets an accuracy boost which really helps out. U-Turn keeps the tides changing, Earthquake is a no brainer with Gravity, and Superpower is there for coverage. Landorus' nerfed Speed in its Therian forme can work to my advantage in Trick Room. Also like Scizor, if there is a better abuser of "Gravity Room" please let me know. I am willing to change my line up by replacing Landorus.​
    Conclusion
    So this is it basically. I know some people would argue that Gravity and Trick Room are a bit "gimmicky" in OU, but when you think about it, it can counter a lot of top tier threats. First off, Trick Room completely shuts down most setup sweepers who try and get by on Speed. Second, Trick Room really compliments gravity in that a lot of Ground-types are slow and bulky. Gravity helps counter the likes of Skarmory, Air Balloon Heatran, Gengar, Rotom, and Thundurus-T. Also the 3/5 evasion drop from Gravity lets you run stronger Base Power moves like Stone Edge, Focus Blast, Fire Blast, Thunder, Blizzard, Hydro Pump, Will-o-Wisp, Sleep Powder, and Hypnosis without the fear of missing as often. This team could use a little touching up but it the right hands it can become a devastating anti-meta team.​
    scotti likes this.
  2. Goddess Briyella

Goddess Briyella Go ahead baby, keep fanning my flame ♥
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Hi arttysuperman!

This is an awesome team you have here. However, I have a few suggestions in mind that I feel can improve the team's performance. Firstly I'd like to note that many Pokemon on the team are simply too fast to be used consistently under the effects of Trick Room, and this can actually prove to be a self-induced disadvantage when Trick Room is up and you need Landorus-T or Dugtrio to go first in a crucial situation. Many of the natures chosen for the mons on this team don't appropriately reflect their purposes, and I'm going to recommend some changes there also. In order to help maintain the core basis of your team, I suggest that you drop Trick Room (so your faster mons can function reliably) and focus on Gravity and how your team can use it to its advantage. ^_^

[​IMG]

Celebi. It's the only thing on the team with Trick Room and also the only thing on the team with an appropriate nature and spread to function under Trick Room, and while under the effects of it, it doesn't cover a whole lot of ground, outside of team support. And even with a Sassy nature, Celebi is still base 100 Speed and will be "outsped" by many other supporters and disruptors that are normally slow. For these reasons, I'd like to suggest removing Trick Room entirely (it's unnecessary and hurts much of the team) and replacing it with HP Fire, so your team can have a way to deal with opposing Scizor and Ferrothorn (and serve as a lure). I suggest adding 64 EVs to Speed so that you can outspeed Scizor and kill with HP Fire no matter what its Speed is (even if it's Jolly with max speed), so I'm going to make that change. The set I'm recommending for Celebi is as follows:

(Celebi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 192 SDef / 252 HP / 64 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - U-turn
    - Recover

[​IMG]

This thing stuck out to me the most when I looked at your team. There are a lot of things wrong with this set. Brave nature does indeed lower Speed (although it's still base 110, not near low enough to function in Trick Room), but it also raises Attack, which you have absolutely no use for, making it a waste. With Stored Power as the only offensive option, Dark types can come in and have no fear at all, as they are immune to your set entirely. You might be thinking you can Calm Mind and if they bring in a Dark type you have Baton Pass to give the boosts to someone else, but I don't see an ideal recipient for these boosts, since there are no Pokemon on the team who have any special attacks. Also, Light Clay does nothing if you aren't running Reflect/Light Screen. This just does not belong at all. For these reasons, I feel that Espeon does not belong on this team, and I have a suitable replacement that will add more coverage and reliability to the team. The Pokemon I have in mind is Porygon2.

[​IMG]
    Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Gravity
    - Thunder
    - Blizzard
    - Recover

The supreme bulk offered by Eviolite, combined with Recover and 120 base power Boltbeam coverage, makes Porygon2 an extremely potent and resilient addition to this Gravity team. Landorus-T covers its Fighting weakness via its typing and also has Intimidate to bring Fighting types down an additional notch. Celebi also resists Porygon2's Fighting type weakness. And now you have a hard hitting special attacker who can also tank hits all day, heal itself, and be a Gravity inducer all in one. It's perfect.

[​IMG]

I feel that this set can be improved in a way that lets Landorus-Therian use Gravity to its own ends without always relying on teammates to set it up. Did you know that Landorus-T can learn Gravity? ^_^ The ability to set up Gravity on its own and be able to hit even things that are immune to Ground with a max Attack STAB Earthquake coming off a monstrous 145 base Attack... It's obscenely powerful. For this reason, I would like to suggest replacing Landorus-T's Superpower with Gravity. I also suggest running more Speed so that you can more reliably dish out damage, particularly to hit walls hard and to be able to U-turn out of things that threaten you if you can't kill them in one hit. The set I have in mind is as follows:

(Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - U-turn
    - Gravity
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

I love the ability for Dugtrio to trap even things that are immune to Ground. One last thing I'd like to point out is a glaring weakness to Sun teams (and also Rain teams for that matter), who can absolutely steamroll through this team. I suggest replacing Dugtrio's Sucker Punch for Sandstorm, so that you can more effectively deal with what remains of Sun teams after you trap and kill Ninetales. Four of six mons on your team are immune to residual Sandstorm damage (the other two have instant recovery), and this also has some merit in assisting with offense.

Alright! It's been fun! I hope my input is helpful or at least thought-provoking. I wish you luck with your team! ^_^
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)