1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Great Defensive Combos

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Jayceeblaster, Jul 8, 2011.

1. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

Why use Lanturn over Rotom-W, who lacks the Ground weakness entirely? Lanturn has Scald, Surf, and Ice Beam over it, but that's all I can think of.
  2. kc4444

kc4444

Edit 1
    Answering questions better

@tentafool
    Skarmory is should always have Whirlwind/Roar to scare off Excadrill etc.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Roost
    Spikes
    Whirlwind
    Brave Bird

Impish
    252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
    Sets up spikes and physical tank, but can take some weaker specially attacks, sometimes carries Shed Shell when Magnezones get annoying

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Heal Bell
    Scald/Surf
    Confuse Ray
    Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Attract

Calm
    Volt Absorb
    40HP/216Def/252SpD

Cleric, its moves depends on the entry hazards and the members of my team. Evs mean i survive 5 seismic tosses and max defenses. Can Rotom-W do that.

@IcyMan28
    Lanturn is slightly bulkier on both sides and it has Heal Bell and Volt Absorb. You are right about Rotom-W being type-wise better, but certain threats are stopped by Volt Absorb, rather than a neutrality, and immunities to ground type attacks are more abundant than immunities to electrics
  3. Z-rex

Z-rex

no lanturn has volt absorb making it one decent check to thundurus ..
  4. Manbaby

Manbaby

i would like to say that i have been trying this core out recently (IN DW OU OF COURSE) and it has been astounding at first it was without heatran and even then they functioned well against most threats
  5. stephenjm

stephenjm

This is more of a variation of Tentascor, but I have found that Gliscor + WishVaporeon is deadly.
  6. Dracoflare

Dracoflare

In UU snorlax(with thick fat) combined with any Pokemon that resists fighting type moves are good.Snorlax+Celebi,snorlax+goldbat,snorlax+sigilyph are few combos i use.
    Goldbat is an amazing Pokemon with evolite ,Toxic+superfang+bravebird+roost certainly worth trying
  7. Camisado

Camisado

Celetran was always hyped 4th gen.

You also have double Intimidate, usually in the form of bulky Gyara+Hitmontop, though Salamence can take the slot for either.
  8. mehbear

mehbear

tangrowth and slowbro make a pretty decent defensive core with regeneration as well. tangrowth doesn't resist some of the things slowbro is weak to (dark namely) but its insane defense lets it take crunches from ttar and threaten with power whip regardless..

common weakness to bug type attacks do hurt them though. (though tangrowth hardly takes much from bug physicals and can easily just recover them through synthesis/leech seed.
  9. tentafool

tentafool

you're right, I forgot about the whirlwind/roar :)
  10. Prankster

Prankster

Rotom-C and Heatran with earth power?
  11. kc4444

kc4444

No defensive combo is invincible.

SkarmBliss is ruined by Infernape, but its still widely used.
    Ferrocent can also be hurt by Infernape.

Rotom-C isn't seen very often in OU, and good switching or pivots can easily break it. A specially defensive grass type can quite easily wall it (I use Roserade)

Heatran isn't too hard to stop, a Surf on the switch, and there are plenty of pokemon who can hurt it if Lanturn can't catch it on the switch.

Every defensive and offensive combos have weaknesses, its how the player plays it with its team mates to counter it.
  12. Pokabu

Pokabu

Anyone know any good 3 wall defensive combos?
  13. Rackham

Rackham

@Pokabu

Heatran, Gastrodon, Skarmory

Heatran, Celebi/Ferrothorn, Jellicent

Yeah, I like Heatran. Lol
  14. kc4444

kc4444

@Pokabu
    Ferrocent + Gliscor
    Skarmbliss + Gyrados
  15. Bruno Magno

Bruno Magno

Biggest troubles for the SkarmBliss are mix sweepers such as Infernape (Overheat - Close Combat).

I love Cruel + Tangrowth, good sinergy, very good in a sun team (if Cruel runs HP Fire can easily 2HKO Ferrothorn and Forretress)
  16. MetaAngel

MetaAngel

We all know about the "Core crisis", but getting some other great defensive cores is always great :) and
    U need da best set for this?:

Primeape's (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 152 Atk / 152 SAtk / 204 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Close Combat
    - Fire Blast
    - Vacuum Wave
    - ThunderPunch

282 atk and sAtk is awesome, and with life orb and strong moves, this is a beast! It can stay in for a while, and if he predicts ur overheat and goes in to blissey, ur dead. Got to switch so u again can deal some serious damamge. CC hits blissey really hard, KO's as u might a predicted. Fire blast takes on all skarmory's, except for the specially defensive one, but a fire blast and a cc is enough to KO.
  17. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe + Overheat / CC / Stone Edge / U-Turn is probably superior to that set. Skarmory and Tangrowth cannot take an Overheat in any case, negating the need for SpA EVs, while Thunderpunch is almost useless on Infernape that lack Iron Fist. Sure it covers Tentacruel, but Stone Edge lets you hit Gyara, Mence, Dragonite, Volcarona, etc. Just U-Turn out of Tentacruel.
  18. bluemon

bluemon

+1 Icyman.

Also, not running max speed on pokemon like Infernape is kind of bad.
    You just lost the speed tie to the musketeers
  19. Aldaron

Aldaron All da lil birdies chirpin
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

Same thing as I'm posting in the other topics...would like for someone to volunteer to go through this thread and send me a pretty updated post for me to update the OP with and hopefully lead this towards an article.
  20. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

I'd love to help with the article sometime, and in the meantime I have a core to contribute.

[​IMG]
    Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
    Bold nature
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Scald
    -Toxic / Ice Beam

[​IMG] Ferrothorn is moving because I ripped the set from somebody else's post...
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpDef
    Sassy nature
    -Spikes / Stealth Rock / Gyro Ball
    -Leech Seed
    -Thunder Wave
    -Power Whip / Gyro Ball

A self-sustaining defensive core I've used in OU to great success. Ferrothorn can hand off Leech Seed to Vaporeon, while Vaporeon can pass wishes to Ferrothorn. In this way, not only do they both take hits, but they keep each other alive. This is best paired with a nice Fighting resist or Ghost Pokemon to take Fighting attacks. The Vaporeon is standard, but the Ferrothorn has to be Sassy and Leech Seed must be used. I actually ran Ferrothorn without hazards since a Heatran used them on this team, but you can always use Spikes or SR.
  21. Vitalise

Vitalise

Who needs SkarmBliss when you can use BlissCor?, Also I've tried a Roserad and Tran combo works well.
  22. Glen ^^

Glen ^^

Nobody rolls Salamence + Jirachi anymore?

Not that defensive since Salamence kind of depends on Jirachi's Wish, but still a solid combination.

Also... not being completely ruined by Taunt and having some offensive presence is always a plus.
  23. frogoholic101

frogoholic101

I run it, but since I use Salamence as a dancer with a -Sp.D nature I don't think it can be called a defensive combination. They certainly synergise perfectly, though.
  24. blasphemy1

blasphemy1

Lanturn is a pretty good Pokemon in this metagame, able to switch into Volt Switch (Rotom-W, Jolteon, etc), Heatran, Jellicent, Jirachi, Politoed, Skarmory, Tentacruel, Starmie, Tornadus, and Vaporeon. However, I wouldn't use it like you use Skarmory. It's not very good at shrugging off neutral hits. Stuff like Gengar's Shadow Ball is a 3HKO, and that would be fine but Lanturn doesn't have instant recovery. As such, you need Wish support for it to work properly. I like using Lanturn for support rather than tanking a bunch of hits. Heal Bell + Volt Switch is awesome considering how most teams have at least 1 status move. The Choice Specs set also works pretty well, although it has problems with both Ferrothorn and Gastrodon so either spam Volt Switch or predict a switch and nail Gastro with HP Grass.

Heal Bell + Volt Absorb make up for the loss of Levitate for certain teams. Especially those that are incredibly vulnerable to that damn Rotom-W.
  25. Jayceeblaster

Jayceeblaster

Heh. Nice to see my thread is back up and running, when I literally just returned to Pokemon.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)