1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Greatest Troll Mafia - Postgame

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by Mekkah, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

So, now that so many deaths happened, you may wonder who was the victor in this game?

Maybe it was this guy?

[​IMG]

Or this one?

[​IMG]

Or him again?

[​IMG]

Or........

[​IMG]

Trick question! It was none of these. This game has been, ever since the beginning, a huge troll, with as a target everyone involved. At first, we felt like hosting a game with 24 neutrals, but decided it would get out too quickly and turned into a popularity contest. This is what we finally came up with: everyone would be given a PM that implies they're part of the mafia group, but that they're seperated from their allies. In fact, those allies did not exist: there were 21 factions in this game (dak, thunda and Serenity were genuine #fluodome villagers). To keep this a secret, we had to snip them and any implication of them, out of the death/inspection PMs.

Everyone in the game had a role that could target another user with some kind of action that may or may not look useful, but none of them actually did anything significant. Except for one thing: every night, we would look at which users were targeted by most roles, and we'd kill those off. No one in the game actually had a night kill that worked. The amount of people we killed off was determined by the total population, divided by 10, then add .4 and round it somehow. Which is pretty much 3 early on, then 2 later. We would've continued to 1 somewhere soon if we didn't think it was about time to stop at a peak rather than when people would lose interest out of frustration for not finding their allies.

There would never have been a true winner. I would say the winners of this game are the ones who brought the most entertainment, as well as those who sent in their Night PMs rather than idling.

AWARDS

Best Troll Assistant: Serenity
    After she died and was told how the game was a troll, she expressed desire to help out. So occasionally she would GIGANTIC METEOR or BUUUUU people, and even force Lightwolf to mention her name as if she would be revived through that (Lightwolf was terribly afraid she knew he was mafia).

Best Troll Target: Lightwolf
    He talked to me pretty often about his false claim, and how he was afraid of Serenity...I think he caught on sometime later though. A runner-up in this category is Stallion, who had an elaborate plan and several people he suspected to be evil as late as Night 4-5 iirc.

Comedy Award: Accent (& Mekkah)
    The moment Accent subbed in he targeted me (Mekkah) with his role, the MS Paint restriction. Nowhere in the rules did it say you were allowed to do it, but I didn't mind at all and just prepared the update several hours early. I've gotten many positive reactions about it (including Accent himself who was viewing my artwork in the train, started laughing uncontrolably to the point where people stared at him) and Gmax insisted I shared this award with myself. So be it.

Activity Award: Stallion, Shiney, Dragonite24, Accent, Fishin, Hobo Joe, Jimbo, CoTH, Mr. 378, Earthworm, Jedil, CrabNebula, Serenity, porygon3, dak and thunda
    These are the true winners of this game if I had to appoint any. Mafia games couldn't exist without people who actively send in their night roles, and in some of these cases, actually talk in the thread and seek contact with others on IRC.

Sleeping Beauty Award: #Az, also whoever I subbed out for Accent and whoever else hardly sent in their night PMs
    Az clearly didn't follow the game at all, having sent in a grand total of one target (and one idle), and that one was trying to target Serenity who was dead at that point.

Sharpest Pencil in the Box Award:: Stoo, for being pretty close to the truth of this game. A runner-up to others who may have thought of it. A big middlefinger to blue_light for pretending he did when Gmax actually told him everything. Fuck you.

Role PMs and Comments

If you're interested to see what they look like without all the snips. Our spreadsheet can be found here. We kept track of night actions there, as well.

This guy was from MAFIA FOREVER where he was actually forced to speak French. We wanted a role that forced other people to speak in Babelfish'd Portugese and decided on him, and only then found out through his Wikipedia entry that he does actually have Portugese roots. How convenient. Stallion played pretty seriously. Here, his night 4 PM main body:

Ok an update, i've found out jedil, porygon3 and knightofthewind are all mafia (I found out with kotw cause his fake pm was pretty shitty and I pretty much threatened to get him killed ^_^).

Finding my teammates is a bitch, I can't believe how many bloody obvious signs I've made so they can contact me but I probably have some idle dumbfucks as my teammates *sigh*.

Speaking of which, there's still a buttload of users who haven't spoken once in the thread :S

A stellar postingAWOOOOOOOrestriction that made CN insinuate Serenity was the wolf. Heh, as if we'd make it that easy on you guys.

The "Again." is referring to the fact Toothache was KCC in DBZ Mafia, the night action command to a hilarious auctionopoly incident. Stoo never sent in his PM except on night 1, and this was the result. He made up for his idleness with the awesome stealth lynch, which was done under not one but three posting restrictions: PokéFan Marianne's signpic one, the normal Angry German Kid one, plus we decided to add that he had to insult everyone he had targeted in the past. Because we could.

He requested to be subbed out, but we couldn't be bothered, so we just told him to send in his night PM and we'd have a sub for him the next morning. Then we proceeded to kill him off.

Shigen the initial holder of this role was just stupidly inactive and we decided to sub him out for Accent. Tag playing kids all grown up! Another of the post restriction roles. The one that had the most hilarious results!

Heh, poor porygon3. While his role looks so awesome when you see his PM, in reality, his night actions were never meant to succeed. He would be told that he met with insane obstacles each time, such as a pig with an eyepatch! Unfortunately he died N3, so we only got to cook up one cool obstruction.

Earthworm the invertebrate on a hunt, in a race against time and a little girl. For an ancient medallion boasting a legendary reputation, with the promise of much power if he could just get hold of it! He wandered into the wrong game while looking for it though, since it did not exist here! He took the game quite seriously, and even had a fake PM written up and all. TROLLED

Jedil the cute little girl who just wanted her big brother to come back safely. She just needed that medallion to secure his safe release. Too bad no one in this game had it! Died N1, unfortunately.

Fishin the man who kept targeting people who were about to die that night. He was eventually convinced that he was, in fact, secretly his faction's killer! The one time that he DID manage to hit someone though was when he hit Stoo at the same time as Angry German Kid, forcing Stoo to post, rather than just letting him stay silent, leading to the stealth lynching of Toothache.

Zeus the pervert. He could implement a posting restriction that forced people to vote privately, rather than out in the open. Not necessarily a bad thing, though Thickwolf didn't get the game at all despite being in the game for so long...

CN, the man whose hunt for expensive cows with mysteriously familiar owners didn't really last long. He denied being mafia to the bitter end, in a way that would've made Toothache the KCCer-who-is-neutral-not-mafia happy. It was probably a bad idea to start playing mafia on Smogon with this one, but oh well!

lol a sheriff who lacks allies. KnightOfTheWind sent in his PM religiously every night after N1, but lol, as a sheriff who lacks allies, he couldn't really do much!

The first of the 3 villagers in this game! She was pretty helpful in trolling the game, scaring most people (I'm looking at you Lightwolf) into believe that she was actually alive even after she died. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The second of the 3 villagers. Heh, a martyr in a game that lacks a bodyguard. dak was quite ready to idle all game, but he was quite a popular choice for being targeted on N2, when he breathed his last.

The village inspector. Would've probably shaken things up a bit, but after a hard fought N1 three-way battle with Stoo and Jedil, where Stoo triumphed, he was eliminated.

BURTER! Another "real" role, that is one that was capable of doing something at night. Unfortunately Az was inactive most of the game, and didn't use his role at all since he had no information to go on.

One of the greatest thieves in all of history. The only one in the whole game! Too bad there wasn't a single item in the game for him to steal!

Disco Stu was another of the myriad posting restriction roles. Disco Stu was pretty cool. Disco Stu was also pretty inactive though, and pretty quiet overall.

We lied. This role doesn't actually negate User's vote, it just slaps a random posting restriction on them, like Simpsons Mafia Dr. Nick killed his targets instead of protecting them.

Albert Einstein, another one of the "real" roles, which had some actual effect. Not like it mattered though lol, since no action actually did anything. To make things interesting we added a second Einstein so that there would be 2 people posing as Albert Einstein creating loads of confusion. Continued below...

The second Einstein! Too bad neither ever claimed, which meant that we didn't get to see the awesome sequence of one being lynched, being found to be Albert Einstein, then the second being lynched the day after, ALSO being revealed as Albert Einstein! Sucks that it never came off lol.

Jimbo subbed in for darkie, all pumped up about actually getting into the game, only to die N1. A piece of trolling we did not intend! Hagrid's beloved Madame Maxime did not exist in this game, so he'd just have been sucking air every night.

Well, quite obviously, this role did not belong to any mafia in particular. It just seemed like such an awesome post restriction that we couldn't pass it up!

Closing Words

Even though this was not a serious game, there are some lessons to be learned.
    - Please send in your role PMs when playing. It makes the game more fun for everyone.
    - Don't take mafia so seriously. It is but a game, on the internet no less.
    - Lesm is wolf always unless Jackal is. But we'll call it a draw.
  2. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

and
    And to think I gave the Bermudas up for this game!
  3. Outlaw

Outlaw

This was a <snip>
  4. CyzirVisheen

CyzirVisheen Am I poplar yet?
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It is clear that I was the winner of this game, as I destroyed the Earth with everyone's power.
    EDIT: CURSE YOU MEKKAH!!!
  5. CardsOfTheHeart

CardsOfTheHeart

I survived to the very end so I'll count that as a win in my book! XD

Seriously, wow, what a game. By Night 2 I was pretty sure I was alone in the game, but I didn't know what to do with that information. The only thing I knew to do was to get in touch with the "villagers" so I could tell them what was going on and save my ass. I suppose I was more lucky than anything else that I was able to survive so long, but it was interesting nonetheless.

It was weird, though; my first two targets died on me so I thought for a second that I did have a killing role!

Again, great game, guys!

EDIT about Serenity: She talked to me shortly after she died and told me that she was going to be revived in a few days. I didn't care at that point, though, because I already assumed that I was set up to fail in this game when my "teammates" never surfaced. Now that I look at the PMs, I guess, in a sense, Mekkah and gmax WERE setting me up to fail! XD
  6. blue_light

blue_light

Hahaha, I just wanted to see how you would react, you played it really cool though.
  7. Stoo

Stoo

gmax mekkah this was fantastic and i love you both, now to give my personal thoughts/experience:

i figured that this was a big mindfuck from a fairly early stage but i didnt really have any idea of the specifics. i actually thoguht that we were all neutrals who thoguht we had mafia allies at one stage, which was pretty close to the all neutral idea talked about at the start!

after it became apparent that nobody had any idea what they were doing i decided to stealth lynch toothache for fun, and under multiple posting restrictions heh

but seriously this was great you guys; the second greatest troll of all time
  8. porygon3

porygon3

I was so excited when I saw my role PM :(

also I had fake role PMs made up and everything (and my fake role would have fit in perfectly) this is so disappointing even though I had already found out the game was a troll

gmax stinks
  9. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

The spreadsheet doesn't work for me.
  10. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

It's been publicised now, we forgot about that.

click
  11. Brain

Brain
    is a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I claim victory
  12. Stallion

Stallion Killing is my business, and business is good!
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Haha I didn't threaten him irl I meant i threatened for him to be lynched :P. I saw it was a big mindfuck after everybody had no lynch but it was pretty clever by you guys haha. Well done lol.

Edit: I was pretty brutal on interrogation methods to try and get my teammates to surface. I was kind of suss about this game (my spreadsheet actually said "this game is a joke!!!" at the bottom), but I'm relatively new to mafia so I never realised that it was a joke until all of the last nights deaths.
  13. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

so what you're basically saying is that i won
  14. Outlaw

Outlaw

Burter always wins Az.
  15. Mekkah

Mekkah
    Super Moderator

gmax wrote that part not me

help
  16. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

That was one CRAZY game. I was pretty much a vanilla townie, lol. I survived to the end, so I'll count that as a win ^_^ Props to Stallion for figuring me out.
  17. Mr.378

Mr.378

So this game, in a word:

TROOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
  18. Accent

Accent

Haha Shiney the crappy bluffer

My last pm was actually part troll, part investigation: if he was a meme too, he could have found out with the rickroll and all.

I never really took this game really seriously though, being a sub with a useless role, which led me to simply mess around. I never expected it to end that way though - thanks gmax and mekkah!
  19. LightWolf

LightWolf lightwoof
    is a Forum Moderator

Just to inform you but Rick Astley was against the memes in that game
  20. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

An interesting game, but I was disappointed that Isy was with the Lopt Sect and not the secret wolf faction, Team (BAN ME PLEASE).

Volke had the best troll role, though.
  21. Shiney

Shiney

I only joined this mafia because gmax hosted it :[
    I thought there was something odd going on when rev didn't die and I couldn't find anyone in 'my' mafia, but I didn't think it included everyone in the game!
    Amazing job Gmax and Mekkah :]

no shit, sherlock
  22. Altair

Altair just who is the coon?

So what you're saying is that the 2 mafias i've been in on Smogon have both turned out to be big jokes?

At least i got a cool death post though ^_^.
  23. crabnebula

crabnebula

Thanks Gmax and Mekkah for hosting, the game was quite fun!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)