Grimer (Analysis)

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Grimer's poor typing coupled with its imbalanced stat distribution makes it seem a bit underwhelming at first glance and may drive some people away from using it. However, Grimer's fair amount of bulk and great Attack stat actually allow it to be an effecticve offensive Pokemon. Grimer's extensive movepool allows it to help break down walls or even sweep late-game with its great type coverage. No matter what Grimer’s job is, it will be a great asset to any team.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
move 2: Shadow Sneak
move 3: Fire Punch / Ice Punch
move 4: Explosion
item: Life Orb
ability: Sticky Hold
nature: Adamant
evs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Grimer’s great Attack stat to deal huge amounts of damage to the opposing Pokemon. Gunk Shot is Grimer's main STAB move, and despite having poor coverage and accuracy, provides raw power. Poison Jab is a good alternative if you want a more reliable STAB option; however, the drop in power is very noticeable. Shadow Sneak provides Grimer with priority, and allows it to pick off weakened Pokemon. Fire Punch aids Grimer in dealing with Steel-type Pokemon that wall the rest of the set, while Ice Punch lets Grimer nail Gligar on the switch. If Grimer has Poison Jab instead of Gunk Shot in the first slot, Ice Punch also provides a strong, reliable answer to Dratini, but otherwise it is unnecessary for that purpose as a neutral Gunk Shot packs more power than a super effective Ice Punch. Finally, Explosion allows Grimer to go out with a bang, dealing huge amounts of damage even to Pokemon that resist it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since any choice of move in the third moveslot leaves Grimer vulnerable to certain Pokemon, partnering it with a solid counter to those Pokemon greatly benefits Grimer. If Ice Punch is used, Steel-types completely wall this set; therefore, Choice Scarf Magnemite makes a good teammate, trapping them via Magnet Pull and taking them out with a STAB Thunderbolt. If Fire Punch is used, there are no Pokemon that resist all of Grimer's attacks, but Gligar can easily come in and set up a Swords Dance without fear. Pairing Grimer with Choice Scarf Snover can remedy this, as it can take down Gligar with Blizzard, while taking little damage from Earthquake. Oran Berry can be used in lieu of Life Orb to restore Grimer’s health, but the extra power will be sorely missed.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Choice Scarf Magnemite is a great teammate if Grimer lacks Fire Punch, beating all Steel-types who would wall this set otherwise. A Pokemon that can counter Gligar is helpful. Bronzor would do well in this case, being immune to Earthquake and able to shrug off all of Gligar’s auxiliary moves reasonably well. Bronzor can then retaliate with Hidden Power Ice. Bronzor also beats most Ground-types that hit Grimer hard.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Grimer has the ability to run a special set consisting of Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Ice, but Grimer’s sub-par Special Attack stat greatly lowers its viability. Substitute can be used in the third slot to scout for Pokemon that counter Grimer, but you lose out on coverage as a consequence. Grimer has a couple of other moves that it can successfully utilize. Payback can be used to hit Ghost-types harder, while Rock Slide can be used to deal more damage to Flying-, Bug-, and Fire-types.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Steel-types like Bronzor counter Grimer very well. Unless Grimer carries Fire Punch, it cannot hurt Bronzor, and Bronzor can proceed to set up Stealth Rock before hitting Grimer hard with Psychic. Gligar can also switch into any move bar Ice Punch and proceed to Earthquake, or U-turn to scout the switch-in. While Diglett cannot switch into any of Grimer's moves safetly, if Diglett manages to switch in, Grimer cannot do anything but Shadow Sneak for a bit more damage before Diglett OHKOes Grimer with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Magnemite is a great teammate, beating all Steel-types that would otherwise wall this set. A Pokemon that can counter Gligar is helpful. Bronzor does this well, being immune to Earthquake and able to shrug off all of Gligar’s moves reasonably well. Bronzor can then retaliate with Hidden Power Ice. Bronzor also beats most Ground-types that hit Grimer hard.</p>

it looks like there's more corrections to be made than there actually is; nice job!

Snorlaxe, you edited out something you probably shouldnt have. What Azelf had before was:
Diglett cannot switch into any move, because a combination of Grimer's STAB move and Shadow Sneak has a chance of knocking it out.
What you suggested (i.e.
While Diglett cannot switch into any of Grimer's moves safetly, if Diglett manages to switch in, Grimer cannot do anything but Shadow Sneak for a bit more damage before Diglett OHKOes Grimer with Earthquake.
) has a different meaning. Somebody that's reading this could still think that Diglett can safely switch into Poison Jab since it resists it and KO with Earthquake even though the combo of Poison Jab and Shadow Sneak kills it (like Darkamber above).

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
my bad, i'm pretty tired so i guess my brain turned off on that sentence -.- leave that sentence as it currently is when you edit in my GP check, ShinyAzelf.

thanks for the catch, guys!

Thank you Snorlaxe for GP Checking! Also thanks to Darkamber8828 and sensible for pointing out that mistake.

I have edited everything in, but I kept my last sentence. This analysis is done now.

Thank you guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)