Ground type comeback (first real warstory)

Hey guys. This was a battle from a few days back while I was testing out my Mono-type Ground team. Yes I know it's gimmicky, but I wanted to see how single type pokemon work together. Anyway, I ran into a guy named deebrown11, who gave me one hell of a battle. Here's the story.

Rules:
Ladder Match
Sleep Clause
Freeze Clause
OHKO Clause
Evasion Clause
Species Clause
Strict Damage Clause

My comments will be in Blue
Score will be in Red
Battles will be in Bold
Leftovers, entry hazards, Sandstorm and Life Orb recoil will be omitted.

moe1216 sent out Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
deebrown11 sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
100%

100%

The classic Azelf lead. I knew I was in for a rough ride already due Azelf's ability to use Taunt, which would ruin Claydol's ability to use Trick Room. Since I knew this, I decided to go on offense.

Azelf used Taunt.
Claydol fell for the taunt!
Claydol used Stone Edge.
Azelf lost 39% of its health.
100%

61%

The prediction paid off. I knew he would go with a Taunt since Claydol's main purpose was support. Problem was Claydol had become more of a liability than an asset right now so I decided to go for the switch into the bulky sand stormer.

---
moe1216 switched in Hippowdon (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Azelf used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.

100%

55%

It's times like this that make me wish Claydol was a Rapid Spinner than a TR user. Anyway, thanks to the Hippo SS is out and can slowly wittle away at anyone while I use toxic or attacks. I go for a Toxic (against my better judgment) hoping he'd use explosion to get rid of Hippowdon.

---
Azelf used Taunt.
Hippowdon fell for the taunt!
Hippowdon used Toxic.
Hippowdon can't use Toxic after the taunt!
The sandstorm rages.
100%

49%
Smart move on dee's part. He predicted I would set something up and ruined my chances of getting a toxic up. Since my status moves were sealed I was forced to go on the offensive again......great......

---
deebrown11 switched in Empoleon (lvl 100 Empoleon ?).
Hippowdon used Stone Edge.
It's not very effective...
Empoleon lost 13% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
100%

87%

Dee switched in Empoleon to take the heat off of his Azelf. From experience the most common Empoleon I've seen is the Subpetaya. I had only one option and went with it.
---
Empoleon used Agility.
Empoleon's speed was sharply raised.
Hippowdon used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 87% of its health.
deebrown11's Empoleon fainted.
Hippowdon's taunt wore off!
The sandstorm rages.
100%

0%

I wasn't expecting the agility, mainly because most trainers usually start off with substitute, but I still managed to get a kill. Plus with Taunt wore off, I can use my Toxic/ Slack Off combo.
6-5 moe1216
---
deebrown11 switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's Intimidate cut Hippowdon's attack!

100%

100%

I thought to myself when this guy came out "Oh shit." Gyarados is one of the most powerful water sweepers in the entire metagame if not the strongest. I decided to try and hit him to see how much damage I can before he begins DD.

---
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
Hippowdon used Stone Edge.
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 31% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
100%

69%

I was disappointed that the SE didn't do alot, but I knew that if Gyarados got in more DD i was gone. Plus he had leftovers and that wasn't helping. Since he still hasn't seen my entire team is ground, I predicted he would use DD once more for insurance. This would give me the chance to get Toxic in.

---
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
Hippowdon used Toxic.
Gyarados was badly poisoned!
The sandstorm rages.
100%

63%

I got him poisoned! Though this was rather bitter sweet, as I knew that Hippowdon was going to get creamed by the sheer awesomeness that is double dd Gyarados.

---
Gyarados used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
Hippowdon lost 100% of its health.
moe1216's Hippowdon fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
0%

51%

5-5

I hate myself for killing off my hippowdon, but sometimes sacrifices are necessary.

Hippowdon: You bastard! You couldn't keep me from getting owned?
moe1216: Afraid not.
Hippowdon: You suck.
moe1216: yeah, yeah, yeah.
---
moe1216 switched in Gliscor (lvl 100 Gliscor ?).
Pointed stones dug into Gliscor.
87%

51%

Gliscor is up next due to his ability Sand veil. I banked on the idea that with it, Gliscor could get SE in and knock out that Gyarados.
---
Gyarados used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 88% of its health.
moe1216's Gliscor fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
0%

32%

4-5 deebrown11
Well I just turned my Gliscor into cannon fodder. Though I still managed to get some more damage on Gyarados from the Toxic. Looks like its time to bring in the Heavy Artillery.

Moe1216: Why the hell didn't you're Sand Veil kick in!?
Gliscor: You're unlucky that's why! Sand veil won't work if the trainer is the most unlucky prick on the planet!
---
moe1216 switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Pointed stones dug into Swampert.
94%

32%

With Swampert out, I was hoping his bulk would survive Gyarados and come back with a SE and get me back a small chance of victory, though like Gliscor said my luck is terrible.
Gyarados used Waterfall.
Swampert lost 88% of its health.
Swampert flinched!
The sandstorm rages.
6%

7%

If no one can hear this sound it's me face palming myself. Despite Swampert surviving the onslaught, he flinched! I waited for the enevitable destruction and prayed Gyarados would finally go down from Toxic.
---
Gyarados used Waterfall.
Swampert lost 6% of its health.
moe1216's Swampert fainted.
The sandstorm rages.

deebrown11's Gyarados fainted from poison.
0%

0%

3-4 deebrown11
The Toxic finally took Gyarados down, but I lost three of my guys in the process. Things are not looking good. Despite that, I'm still going to fight, even if I get so badly pwned my mother would feel it.

Swampert: Got any excuse for that?
Moe1216: Stall Tactic?
Swampert:......I'm so kicking your ass for this.
Moe1216: Would a cookie make up for it?
Swampert:.........Yes it would.
---
moe1216 switched in Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
deebrown11 switched in Zapdos (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Zapdos is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Claydol.
94%
100%
Zapdos is another favorite of the OU thanks to his immunity to Ground....Great..Thanks to Claydol's bulk, I saw this as a chance to finally set up TR and begin to make my comeback...I hope.

---

Zapdos used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Claydol lost 39% of its health.
Claydol used Trick Room.
Claydol twisted the dimensions!
The sandstorm rages.
55%
100%

Thank you Arceus! Now with TR up I can begin. Sadly, Claydol's part is done and hoping he doesn't have a protect, I go for a suicide.
---
Claydol used Explosion.
Zapdos lost 96% of its health.
moe1216's Claydol fainted.
Zapdos used Hidden Power.
But there was no target!
The sandstorm rages.
deebrown11's Zapdos fainted.
0%
0%
2-3 deebrown11
Zapdos got taken out thanks to the Explosion and SS. now with both TR and SS out, the star comes in.

Claydol: So how many times have you made me use Explosion?
Moe1216: 123 times.
Claydol: You're not going to stop that are you?
Moe1216: Nope. :)
Claydol:...........I hate you.
---
moe1216 switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
deebrown11 switched in Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Pointed stones dug into Rhyperior.
94%
49%
With TR out Rhyperior is faster and can now deal some damage with a Life Orb. With Azelf out he might hope I use a Status move so he can deal some damage, but I decided to go with a Fire Punch.

---
Rhyperior used Fire Punch.
Azelf lost 48% of its health.
deebrown11's Azelf fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
84%
0%
2-2
---
deebrown11 switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
84%
100%
Deebrown brings in his Metagross. I wondered why he would bring in Metagross, since Rhyperior always carries EQ. I thought he would try to switch on me to make me waste an EQ on a flying pokemon or levitate, so I continued spamming FP.

Metagross used Bullet Punch.
It's super effective!
Rhyperior lost 24% of its health.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 63% of its health.
Metagross was burned!
The sandstorm rages.
50%
25%
Deebrown using Metagross' BP to get pass my TR and hammer into Rhyperior. Thanks to Solid Rock, I din't take much damage and decided to go one more time with FP.
---
Metagross used Bullet Punch.
It's super effective!
Rhyperior lost 13% of its health.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 31% of its health.
deebrown11's Metagross fainted.
The twisted dimensions returned to normal!
The sandstorm rages.
23%

0%

2-1 moe1216
---
deebrown11 switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
23%
100%

Deebrown sends in Infernape, another dangerous pokemon and a personal favorite. TR is now down and Rhyperior is injured enough that even Solid Rock wouldn't save him the powerhouse that is Infernape. I decide to go with EQ anyway to see what would happen.

---
Infernape used Swords Dance.
Infernape's attack was sharply raised.
Rhyperior used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 100% of its health.
deebrown11's Infernape fainted.
13%

0%

2-0 moe1216
moe1216 wins!

Moe1216: We did it!
Rhyperior: Yes we did! And all the credit goes to my master.
Moe1216: Thanks man.
Rhyperior: Not you. Him.
Moe1216: No....you don't mean....

Moe........Moe........

Moe1216: It can't be.

Nappa: Hi.

Moe1216: Dammit Nappa!!!!!

Well...that was unexpected. Deebrown11 went with SD, which makes me think of one reason; he thought Rhyperior was a Choice Bander. He hadn't noticed his life going down from Life Orb and must've thought Rhy could only use Fp, giving him the chance to power up. Fortunately, it caught him off guard and I won.
---
I honestly thought that my butt was done for due to that Gyarados, but somehow I came back on top thanks to Claydol and Rhyperior's teamwork.

Pros-

*Claydol and Rhyperior's combo worked and I managed to make a comeback.

*Hippowdon's Toxic helped take down Gyarados.

*Swampert managed to survive a waterfall from Gyarados.

Cons-

* I didn't have a Claydol that knew Rapid Spin. It would have saved me in this fight, but my fear of Ghost types switching in got the better of me.

* I lost three pokemon to Gyarados, despite taking it down. I felt that was pathetic on my part and should've done a better job taking care of it.

I hope you enjoyed the battle and if not I apologize for boring you to tears and making you waste your time. Also please go easy on me I'm still inexperienced in writing these.

Deebrown11's Team-

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ehhh...I didn't like it. Your team isn't that bad, but the battle was lackluster. Pretty much Gyarados going ape on your team and then a Rhyperior sweep, though kudos on using Toxic on Gyara.
4.5/10

Pick a better battle next time, and good luck on future warstories, as I like warstories!

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
6/10

I kind of liked it. There weren't any particularly clever moves on either side, but you gave me something entertaining and out of the ordinary, and I even laughed out loud on one of your comments.

Just keep playing and I have no doubts you'll make an even better warstory next time around.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I really only read these things to find out what reason people hate them this week, but I really liked this and I'd like to see more really cool teams in war stories. You were severely weak to Gyarados, but you pulled out a victory in spite of this.

Can't say I enjoyed it too much. Mistakes in the beginning as well as lack of substance didn't make it an enjoyable one. I still question the move to agility going on the risk of your full HP hippo to switch out so early. Considering the lack of knowledge about your team.

Format wise it was good. 5/10

5/10. I loved your comments and your team was decent, but the battle wasn't really that exciting. You basically got creamed by Gyarados until it died to toxic, then you swept with Rhyperior. It wasn't very dramatic, which is what we're looking for.

The battle could be better, but I liked your comments. I hope you make better battles/warstories in the future :).

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty much what has been said, battle could have been better but the team was cool and your comments were good.

One thing though, you said that most Empoleon you faced have been SubPetaya yet you were surprised to see Agility. That was a bit of a poor comment as one of the most used Empoleon sets is Agility/Substitute/Surf/Ice Beam @Petaya Berry.

True. My bad. I think what I meant to say was I was expecting a Substitute instead of Agility. Sorry about that. I'll change it.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
It was an average battle at best. I'm sorry but nearly all comments were just descriptions of what you did instead of actually explaining your thought process. Your team was very creative and used a often unseen team style though so props for that.
5/10

Nice monotype team, but I'm with SkullCandy: shallow commentary and an average battle took away from the overall effect. I found the post-KO commentary from each of your fallen team members jarring, rather than humorous, since there wasn't a strong humor cast to the warstory leading up to them.

Still looking forward to the next story, because your overall style is good and your formatting was excellent.

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
I couldn't even finish all of it, there were so many horrible moves from both of you. Not warstory material =/

Considering you were working with mono ground, it makes sense that you would be Gyarados weak. Still, you handled it the best you could. I actually enjoyed this, mostly because of your comments. The Pokemon-to-Trainer ones especially made me laugh. I look forward to seeing more of your style in the future.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick question, though: what kind of Flygon did you have to where it couldn't counter Gyarados? No Thunder Punch? No Stone Edge? No Scarf?

@sjcrew. Due to my inexperience, I didn't bring Flygon out earlier. It has scarf and tp, but I hesitated and worried too much about Gyarados' waterfall. Those things scare me to death. :(

Decent job, I liked the post-faint commentary, but more humor would've highlighted it. As it was I have to agree with the above posters on the quality of the battle. 6/10 GL in the future.

I don't think BulkyGyara OHKOes with Waterfall unless it has a boost, so it would have been safe to immediately bring it in, especially seeing how Gyara-weak your team was.

Smart move on dee's part. He predicted I would set something up and ruined my chances of getting a toxic up.

I don't get this part at all. You were expecting an explosion, what would a toxic do?

I decided to try and hit him to see how much damage I can before he begins DD.

This is a mistake. If you need to, just run calculations. It was a crucial point in the battle, and being too lazy to calculate makes this story sound a bit random and not like a carefully, well planned battle. I personally don't run calculations... but then again I don't post warstories either, lol.

The ending was a giant mistake on your opponent's part as well.

Overall, I like the sweep a lot, but it was a short, kinda filled with misplays on both parts battle. I like the formatting and it seems you're taking criticism, so hopefully you'll have some more interesting battles to post in the future.

I stopped reading after the suicide bomber bs. Next time don't do that. (Actually don't do any dialogues with you and your pokemon.)

5/10, interesting to see somebody write a warstory with same-typed themed team but otherwise was lackluster. Also, the suicide bomber reference was a bit racist, please don't write that again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)