XY OU Groundhog Champions - Regenerator Semi Stall

Hello All,

This is my Third RMT, I've been wanting to work with a stall team for a long time, and have been lurking around some really good stall team RMTs so that I can get some inspirations and ideas. that being said, I also did not want to go the boring route and go with the M-Venu as my mega slot. On top of this, I also want to incorporate some other elements that can add to the overall "fun" of stall (of which there are few).

You'll note that the title is actually "Semi-Stall", this is mainly due to my choice in the mega-slot, she provides some much needed wall breaking for the team and I think her synergy with her teammates works best out of most of the other megas but I think her inclusion in the team does make the team tread into the semi stall territory, hence the title.

Please feel free to use this team, but give me a shout out or post your replays here as I would love to have more data to work with, I've really worked hard to come out with this team and would like to see it go somewhere.

The team at a Glance:

Team Building process:

I want a good regenerator core:

I need a cleric to keep status off them:

Now I need a SR setter and phaser:

I need something that can break subs, and threaten walls:

And finally I need hazard removal:

UPdated: After some testing, replaced Mandybuss with Skarmory

In detail:

Slowbro

Mahtailhurts @ Assault vest
Ability: Regenerator
IV:0 attack
EV: 252 DEF / 252 HP / 4 SPDEF
Nature: Bold

- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Psyshock

I love Slowbro, for some reason when ever he is on the field, my opponent always seems to make stupid play against him, Scald is a fantastic stab that has a chance to cripple physical attackers and psyshock is there for the Special walls. Fire blast is coverage and ice beam gives the middle finger to dragon, ground and grass types.

Synergy:

: Amoongus
: Heracross
: Chansey
: Heracross Heatran
: Heracross, Heatran, Skarmory

Amoongus

FunGuy (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

Amoongus is a fantastic partner for Slowbro, it covers many of Slowbrows weaknesses and in turn has clear smog and spore for set up sweepers and would be threats switching in. Gigadrain is a stab and also a great way to regain health while attacking, synthesis is there for reliable recovery. Amoongus and Slowbro covers a lot of threats and they regain health from switching into each other on top of that, I've had people forfeit simply because this "core" is so hard to break through.

Foul Play is such a nasty surprise for so many switch ins, thanks to Ajwf, amoongus now has an additional bite and has already caused 3 rage quits (and counting) so far.

Synergy:

: Heatran, Skarmory
: Heatran, Slowbro.
: Skarmory, Slowbro, Heatran
: Slowbro, Heatran

Chansey

scrambled @ eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EV: 252 SDEF / 252 Def / 4 HP
Nature: Bold

- Heal bell
- Toxic
- Wish
- Soft boiled

Chansey is my cleric of choice, you simply can't go wrong with her. Heal bell keeps my regenerators status free, toxic allows Chansey to deal some damage (and stall) while she pass by gigantic wishes to her teammates while soft boiled give her immediate recovery.

Chansey also adds additional bulk to my regenerator core, this means that I can switch into her instead of one of the usual regenerators when I'm unsure or I need to scout out for moves.

More often than not she has saved heracross several times and allows her to come back and start punching holes again.

Synergy:

: Amoongus, Slowbro, Heracross

Heatran

Magmaderp @ Airballoon
Ability: Flash fire
EV: 252 SDEF / 252 HP / 4 DEF
Nature: Calm

- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Will o Wisp
- Lava Plume

Heatran will always be one of my favorite pokemon, it sports an impressive 9 resistances, immune to poison as well as completes my FWG core. I don't need to explain what Stealth rock is, right? Roar is there for phasing once rocks are up and fantastic if the opponent has a talonflame or Charizard hiding in the team. Ancient power is there for handy coverage and I use Lava plume for the accuracy, did I mention this thing has five 4x resists? most of these resists can cover heracross's weaknesses.

Ev spread is for specially defensive as most of Heatran's targets are Speciall attackers.

Synergy:

: Amoongus, Slowbro, Heracross
: Heracross, Skarmory
: Amoongus, Slowbro

Heracross:

Hilda @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Megability: Skill Link
EV: 40 HP/ 252 ATK / 216 SPD
Nature: Adamant

- Pin missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- Close Combat

Mega Heracross is scary, so scary in fact that if I see no immediate threats, I often have her lead hoping for a switch that will have to take STAB Pin missile, or one of the coverage moves like rock blast or bullet seed. (punch some holes in teams early)

Skill links makes the wall/sub breaking capability on her simply invaluable, as this team only has one phaser and I would like to have some degree of redundancy when it comes down to dealing with Subs.

Close combat is there simply because the damage output is so much higher than arm thrust, and the stat drops afterwards is inconsequential since the team is built around switching.

In many ways Mega-Heracross is this team's end game and a some times she doesn't even make an appearance but when she does, she will always do something useful.

Update: Suggestion made from Sacron10 is here to stay. Thank you very much.

Synergy:
: Heatran, Skarmory
: Heatran, Slowbro
: Skarmory, Heatran, Slowbro
: Heatran, Amoongus, SKarmory

Skarmory:

Калинин К-7@Rocky Helmet:
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Counter
- Roost
- Taunt

Named After the Russian Heavy Bomber, this monstrosity is the definition of physical Bulk. the combination of rocky helmet, taunt and counter allows it to check down threats such as mega mawile (got swept 6-0 before Skarm) and Mega Pinsir (swept me 6-0) as well, this bird also serves as a decent emergency stop for some really nasty situations as well as filling in for Mandibuzz for Defog (her role for Foul play is now on Amoongus).

Suggestion from AJwf, thank you very much.

Synergy:

: Amoongus
: Heatran, Slowbro

So that's it. I'll make a threat list/importable later but at the moment I'm happy with how the team turned out. I'm always happy for any suggestions. so please feel free to give them to me.

Importables:
Slowbro @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Psyshock

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 4 HP / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

Heatran @ Airballoon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Will O Wisp

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 HP / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Counter
- Roost
- Taunt

Benched List:

Buzzinga @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EV: 252 HP/ 210 Def / 40 SPD
Nature: Impish

- Foul Play
- Defog
- Knock off
- Roost

I have been toying around with several different mons for a bulky defogger/rapid spinner and they all have their merit. At the moment I have settled on Mandibuzz simply because she can give me knock off support and can turn the tables on some set up sweepers. she is also covers amoongus if slowbro is down, but at the moment i'm still iffy about her.

Synergy:
:Neutral on all others...
:Amoongus
:Slowbro, Heatran
:Heatran, Amoongus

Last edited:
Reserved For threat list, change list and others

Replays:

Change List:

UPDATE: Synergy chart for all team members.
UPDATE: Sacron10's Heracross suggestion is here to stay
UPDATE: Amoongus Spread from Ajwf is both annoying, surprising and caused a total of 3 rage quits so far, there for it is staying. thank you very very much (also new nick name)
UPDATE: Changes Ancient power to Will o Wisp thanks to Suggestion from TheDoff
UPDATE: Decided against Mega Gardevoir as this change would make the team too Special attack heavy, also Megadevoir lacks bulk/staying power.
UPDATE: Replace Mandibuzz with Skarmory, As Per suggestion from Aj That Defence is Scary and it also provides a handy second pivot, also has good synergy with Amoongus and is less rock weak.
UPDATE: Chansey is here to stay, as Sylveon simply lacks the bulk to switch into certain things, bloody Lando-I comes into mind.
UPDATE: Alomomola set vs existing Slowbro was found to have reduced the teams offensive presence too much so Slowbro is here to stay.

Targets:

UPDATE: Now Testing Stalltini effectiveness and synergy with rest of the team.
UPDATE: Now Testing Donphan effectiveness with rest of team, replacing Skarmory.

Last edited:
Hello Sacron,

Thank you very much for the advise, I must say that Bisharp and Rotom have been problematic for me before, especially that will o wisp from Rotom, however it is slightly mitigated by the presence of Chansey and on a one on one situation I find that Heracross wins over Bisharp because she usually have the bulk to survive whatever Bisharp can throw at her, then close combat + Chansey = profit?

I am however very weary of losing Heracross's bulk though, but maybe is not as important.
I will have to investigate this.:mad:

Two main causes for concern. First is the amoongus set. Generally, synthesis is a deadweight move as amoongus changes in and out so much that regenerator is better. Use foul play, which will allow you to handle aegislash better. You also get wrecked by BD azumarill right now... as in, see it, it's a straight up 6-0. There are a few spreads that can help amoongus solve this.

Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

By far my favorite amoongus spread, you'll survive +6 amoongus and clear smog, switch out and carry on against a completely neutralized azumarill. You still beat aegislash and kelodeo rather easily, as well. +0 Azumarill is handled by slowbro right now anyways.

The other issue is pinsir-mega... I don't think mandi survives +2 return and it certainly doesn't win long term. Without heatran's balloon, you'll constantly be teetering on the cusp of defeat vs it. I'd suggest skarmory over Mandi for that exact reason. Counter/Taunt skarm is good for checking mawile down as well, and being a pretty sound OHKO, but requires prediction. You can use brave bird, which will achieve the same result against pinsir and require less prediction. Roost/BB/Defog/Taunt is a good set for messing with opposing chanseys.

Two main causes for concern. First is the amoongus set. Generally, synthesis is a deadweight move as amoongus changes in and out so much that regenerator is better. Use foul play, which will allow you to handle aegislash better. You also get wrecked by BD azumarill right now... as in, see it, it's a straight up 6-0. There are a few spreads that can help amoongus solve this.

Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

By far my favorite amoongus spread, you'll survive +6 amoongus and clear smog, switch out and carry on against a completely neutralized azumarill. You still beat aegislash and kelodeo rather easily, as well. +0 Azumarill is handled by slowbro right now anyways.

The other issue is pinsir-mega... I don't think mandi survives +2 return and it certainly doesn't win long term. Without heatran's balloon, you'll constantly be teetering on the cusp of defeat vs it. I'd suggest skarmory over Mandi for that exact reason. Counter/Taunt skarm is good for checking mawile down as well, and being a pretty sound OHKO, but requires prediction. You can use brave bird, which will achieve the same result against pinsir and require less prediction. Roost/BB/Defog/Taunt is a good set for messing with opposing chanseys.

Hello All,

It has been suggested on showdown that I run the Hyper voice Mega Gardevoir set instead of the Heracross set, I'm not sure if there is merit to this but I'll try it out never the less. Thoughts?

Hey,

is there any specific reason why you're carrying softboiled AND wish?
If you decide to use two moveslots for HP regeneration, you should probably consider running protect instead of softboiled, as it would give you the same effect if you wish + protect, but also allows you to scout for knock offs and CCs and possibly get more toxic damage.

About the Mega Gardevoir set, it would allow for fast fairy and psychic STAB, but you'd lose out on the overall bulk Mega Heracross has, even though you would get very good synergy with the rest of the team. I guess it would end up as a matter of personal preference, so try it out and see which one works better for you.

However if you're struggling against Mega Mawile you could consider running Will-o-Wisp on Heatran instead of Ancient Power as your rock coverage comes from stealth rock and you can roar out to rack up more damage with it. WoW would instead shut down Mega Mawile unless you switch in on it subbing.

Hi, nice team!

As Ajwf said, your team struggles against Mega Mawile and Mega Pinsir. Another threat worth mentioning that your team can't take care of is standard Taunt Mega Gardevoir.

You could also switch Heatran for stalltini:

Credit goes to Monte Cristo for making this set,

Victini @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- V-create
- Taunt
- Bolt Strike / Substitute / Filler coverage

Stalltini is a wallbreaker that can check other wallbreakers such as non-Shadow Ball Mega Gardevoir and Mega Medicham. It can also wall Mega Mawile without Knock Off pretty well. Furthermore, it's really great at breaking down opposing stall teams, so it will be quite frightening together with Mega Herracross. Of course, you don't want to compound a ghost/dark weakness, so Slowbro may have to be replaced if you decide to use Victini over Heatran. Also, if you use Victini, you'd also still have to replace Mandibuzz with Skarmory and give it Stealth Rock.

I recommend replacing Slowbro with an Alomomola set of:

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Magic Coat
- Scald
- Toxic
- Wish

Right now , a lot of great stall teams have been using Magic Coat to get passed threats such as the aliens and other hazards leads. With this spread, Alomomola has enough bulk to pivot and Scald/Toxic various threats such as Latias/Latios and Mega Charizard X. Having a second wish passer is also highly beneficial for both Victini and Mega Heracross.

You still have problems against various Thundurus sets, but there's really not much you can do about it unless you replace Mega Heracross with stall Mega Charizard X or something. Nice team, i'm kind of new to rating, hope I helped!

Edit:
Hello All,

It has been suggested on showdown that I run the Hyper voice Mega Gardevoir set instead of the Heracross set, I'm not sure if there is merit to this but I'll try it out never the less. Thoughts?
Nay, Mega Heracross suits your team much better than Mega Gardevoir as it checks Bisharp and other Pokemon while still maintaining offensive pressure.

Last edited:
Hey,

is there any specific reason why you're carrying softboiled AND wish?
If you decide to use two moveslots for HP regeneration, you should probably consider running protect instead of softboiled, as it would give you the same effect if you wish + protect, but also allows you to scout for knock offs and CCs and possibly get more toxic damage.
Protect gives the opponent a chance to set up, but even if I predict wrong with soft boiled, I have an immediate return in HP, other than that more personal preference than anything. I'm also very paranoid about losing Chansey as she does give the team a lot of added bulk, I will try out protect instead.

However if you're struggling against Mega Mawile you could consider running Will-o-Wisp on Heatran instead of Ancient Power as your rock coverage comes from stealth rock and you can roar out to rack up more damage with it. WoW would instead shut down Mega Mawile unless you switch in on it subbing.
Thank you for that, I often feel that ancient power is a wasted slot as there simply isn't much opportunity to use it (seriously, I can probably count in one hand the times I actually use it).

About the Mega Gardevoir set, it would allow for fast fairy and psychic STAB, but you'd lose out on the overall bulk Mega Heracross has, even though you would get very good synergy with the rest of the team. I guess it would end up as a matter of personal preference, so try it out and see which one works better for you.
To be perfectly honest, I'm leaning towards Heracross as my Mega at this stage. Gardevoir is great and all but she simply has no staying power she is a bit of a glass cannon, going with Gardevior also makes the team very special attack heavy, which is a whole new can of worms that I don't want to get into.

edit :
Hello Adrian Marin, Looks like I have two new sets to test out, I'm liking the idea of Alomomola and a second Wish granter but I'm also weary of the offensive presence if lacks especially trading off slowbrow and his coverage, I will definitely investigate the potential for this.

The Stalltini (sounds like it should be a cocktail, showdown drinking game anyone?), is definitely worth investigating although I wasn't aware that Victini is in OU (shows how green I am), although I am weary of the potential weakness against Ghost and Dark (I will now have 2 on the team).

Looks like I have a lot of work to do :)

edit ² : Chansey is far from outdated, but cleric Sylveon is indeed a good set. I suggest using Chansey, it's generally more consistent and can take non-Knock Off Landorus-I vastly better than Sylveon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It Has also been suggested that instead of Chansey (I had a guy rave at me about how she is now outdated for 20 min on showdown), we run the following Sylveon set:

Sylveon @Lefteovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SATK
0 ATK iv
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Basically mini cleric that can run as a second stall/sub breaker, I'm not quite sure. Thoughts?
Chansey is far from outdated, but cleric Sylveon is indeed a good set. I suggest using Chansey, it's generally more consistent and can take non-Knock Off Landorus-I vastly better than Sylveon.

Chansey is far from outdated, but cleric Sylveon is indeed a good set. I suggest using Chansey, it's generally more consistent and can take non-Knock Off Landorus-I vastly better than Sylveon.
Yeah I figured the guy was just butthurt that his Zard Y got worn down by Chansey (focus blast missed 3 times lol), However I do feel that hypervoice sylveon does deserve some testing though. Its not as bulky and its wishes are not as big but she does give the cleric slot a bit more offensive potential.

I did find that I find it harder to switch Sylveon in though, but once she is in she does keep a few other threats like Kyurem-B and a few others out. But she is Venusaur and Scizor bait though...

has anyone tried Sylveon vs Chansey?

UPDATE: Sylveon Simply can't switch into Lando-I and live a second attack, I'm constantly on the brink of 2hKO with her in that situation, unfortunately in this case if she goes, the rest of the team will be completely worn down. So Chansey is here to Stay, unless we have alternative suggestions?

Last edited:
Yeah I figured the guy was just butthurt that his Zard Y got worn down by Chansey (focus blast missed 3 times lol), However I do feel that hypervoice sylveon does deserve some testing though. Its not as bulky and its wishes are not as big but she does give the cleric slot a bit more offensive potential.

I did find that I find it harder to switch Sylveon in though, but once she is in she does keep a few other threats like Kyurem-B and a few others out. But she is Venusaur and Scizor bait though...

has anyone tried Sylveon vs Chansey?

UPDATE: Sylveon Simply can't switch into Lando-I and live a second attack, I'm constantly on the brink of 2hKO with her in that situation, unfortunately in this case if she goes we, the rest of the team will be completely worn down. So Chansey is here to Stay, unless we have alternative suggestions?
Chansey is love, Chansey is life, you should definitely keep that pink blob. There aren't any clerics out there that suit this team more. This teams biggest weakness right now are Lando-i and Thund-i, Chansey is better against both.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-140331872

So landorus was a bitch to handle, but it falls instantly to icebeam. I think that alone is enough to warrant keeping it over alomoona. Sure, chansey could check lando I as Well, but playing the "does it have knock off" game is rather frightening.
Slowbro gets 2hko'd by Landorus anyway. In normal circumstances I would recommend Spdef Gliscor, but I really don't know how to fit it. You could just replace Mega Heracross, but that kills the point of the team.

Slowbro gets 2hko'd by Landorus anyway. In normal circumstances I would recommend Spdef Gliscor, but I really don't know how to fit it. You could just replace Mega Heracross, but that kills the point of the team.
Its been a while since the last update, so this is where we are:

• I have tested the Stalltini concept, unfortunately it puts the team at risk with rocks (more rock weakness) and dark type attacke (2x SE on my team now), on top of that I'm struggling to fit it in.
  • what is interesting, is that if I for go the Mega-heracross and replace it with a Landorus-I (also shore up the knock off support mandibuzz use to have) the team actually does quite well (Suggestion from BiGbirdmahbrotha on showdown), I'm still investigating further.
  • the other suggestion is that I forgo Heracross and simply, but go for a Stall breaker mons like knock off Gliscor or a ghost type like Gengar. I'm investigating this.
  • I'm also considering bringing in Tornadus in place of Heracross as it provide ground immunity, decent-ish with wall breaking and can run u-turn for momentum wars and is significantly faster than the rest of the team, so I can change the pace of the match, it can also act as pivot due to regenerator. but it does make the team more lightning and rock weak.
  • Right another suggestion is to use Garchomp in the megaslot - Get close to a Fairy/Steel/Dragon core as well, Latios and Latias is considered but they have their own set of issues.

Please feel free to give me your thoughts on this subject as I'm exploring all avenues.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-140331872

So landorus was a bitch to handle, but it falls instantly to icebeam. I think that alone is enough to warrant keeping it over alomoona. Sure, chansey could check lando I as Well, but playing the "does it have knock off" game is rather frightening.
Great Match! I've been in that guess the moveset situation and to be honest it is just too terrifying, and in my opinion it does reveal a big flaw with the team, hopefully we can find a solution soon. :mad:

Also this:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-141870200 (New Test Team Vs Neo Baton Pass) too OP

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have been tinkering a bit with this team and currently I am testing Donphan as a replacement for Skarmory, the reason is that Donphan provides rapid spin (which keeps my rocks up), as well as provides a second electric resists and immunity and is also immune to paralysis. Plus Ice shard provides a some form of priority which this team lacks, I'm proposing this set below, but since I've never used one before I welcome any suggestions?

Donphan @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin

So looking at this team, Substitute Kyurem Black puts in SERIOUS work against this team. As such, I would recommend taking a look at Scarf Latias. She can check Landorus with ice beam, and check Zard X and Kyurem with Draco Meteor. If at anytime during the match she becomes dead weight, you can use healing wish to get a wall out of a trouble spot.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Donphan: 211-250 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Donphan: 237-280 (61.7 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I don't think donphan is a good idea; skarm is the best answer as a defensive hazard remover on this team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)