1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Growlithe (Flame Charge) (QC 0/2)

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by dragonboy52, Dec 22, 2011.

1. dragonboy52

dragonboy52
    is a Contributor Alumnus

[​IMG]http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/growlithe

[SET]
    name: Flame Charge
    move 1: Flame Charge
    move 2: Flare Blitz
    move 3: Close Combat
    move 4: Wild Charge
    item: Life Orb
    ability: Intimidate
    nature: Jolly / Adamant
    evs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

(Why this set deserves to be onsite)

-After a Flame Charge, Growlithe can outpace most of the metagame.
    -Flare Blitz does massive damage and is a primary STAB
    -Close Combat is a powerful move
    -Wild Charge is a powerful move that will hit Bulky-Waters that try to wall it.
    -Since 2 of the moves take LO recoil, you will probably need Oran Berry to allow you to fire off more hits.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

(Teammates and AC)

-Intimidate to force switches
    -Priority is such a pain, Bulky Pokes that can take hits like Bronzor and Frillish are good teammates.
    -Jolly for speed, Adamant for more power
    -EV's maximise attack and speed and the rest in bulk
    -Morning sun can be used
    -Amazing Late game sweeper.
  2. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Why not Flash Fire, just asking? Flash Fire-boosted Flare Blitz will definetly hurt. I'd also consider LO there, and probably Morning Sun as well - you said yourself it forces many switches.
  3. Methmite

Methmite

Iunno if my opinions matter; but Growlithe is outclassed with Flash fire by ponyta; who also gets flame charge and flare blitz and Wild charge and has generally higher stats.

In otherwords in every instance you run Flash fire on Growlithe, you should be running ponyta instead. It's just better. Growlithe's other ability, Intimidate gives better physical bulkiness, so maybe run a bulky booster that runs evolite and intimidate over LO flame charge. Otherwise the only reason to run growlith over ponyta would be Close combat, and LC has no shortage of fighting types.

Eviolite also cancels out one Close combat, which allows you to be a little bit less susceptible to priority attacks.

Edit: I think Morning sun should get at least a mention as a possible replacement for CC or Wild charge. I lean more towards wild charge, as CC lets you hit all the water types (bar slowpoke) for at least neutral damage, and morning sun really helps alleviate the side effects of Blitz spam.

Edit: ignore that, I just missed the mention.
  4. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Just saying, Houndour is also a good user of Flame Charge.
  5. Ray Jay

Ray Jay "The sky's the limit, okey-dokey!"
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

So I actually tested this set out a bit, and Intimidate is, in fact, the way to go. It needs to cause the switches and have a way to take Fighting-types (as well as have something to distinguish it from Ponyta, as the above posts touched on). The problem is this set has some serious problems with Chinchou, but if it's saved for late game like it's supposed to be, then it's alright. Not good. Alright.
  6. iss

iss happily ever after
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Why not Agility over Flame Charge? I understand having a recoil-less attack to finish stuff off, but you're getting outsped by nearly every single Choice Scarfer in the metagame.

Also, I'm not really convinced by this set's effectiveness. Could you prove some logs to show if this works?
  7. iss

iss happily ever after
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Bumping. I've tested this set, and it has nothing really over Ponyta. Close Combat is only useful against Chinchou, who you lose to anyways. Sorry, but

QC Rejected (1/2)
  8. Aerrow

Aerrow hunter
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Yea, moving.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)