Gen 2 GSC UU team

RM GSC UU Team

I would like to know if the team below is a good one for GSC UU. As Smogon has been dow recently, I used UU Stadium tiers. I am more interested in knowing its weak points and how to fix them, but feel free to change any pkm or moveset in order to make it better.

1) Typhlosion - leftovers
- Fire Blast
- HP grass
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake

2) Ampharos - lefttovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Tbolt
- HP ice

3) Hypno - leftovers
- Light Screen
- T wave
- Rest
- Psychic

4) Kabutops - leftovers
- HP rock
- Submission
- Swords Dance
- Surf

5) Gligar - leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Eq

6) Gyarados - leftovers
- Surf
- Tbolt
- Double-edge
- HP ground

So, kind of "standard" pkm in UU, but what do you think of this team?

Last time I checked Ampharos was BL on Smogon but this is for UU Stadium... I would suggest losing Kabutops for a pure water type for extra defense against Typhlosion with Hidden Power Grass. Maybe a Politoed or a Poliwrath. If you do that use Magneton with the Rest Talking set over Ampharos as your normal and flying resist. On Gligar use:

Gligar (M) @ Mint Berry / Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Thief / Sleep Talk
- Wing Attack

Gyarados kind of needs Hydro Pump over Surf because it's special attack isn't to great.

I guess you are right about my Typhlosion weakness, Hypno alone can't deal with it. So, I've thought about dropping Gyarados for Politoed (what moveset do you reccomend for it?), so that I could keep Ampharos and Kaputops. But, what I would like to ask is if Gligar is a good choice for the team? When I chose it, I wanted something that could work as a electric barrier (although, Hypno plays that role as well). However, since most electric pkm has HP ice, I realized that Gligar wasn't a good idea. So, what pkm should I select instead of Gligar? I don't know if I still need someting to counter electric pkm (because Politoed can handle Typhlosion quite well and Hypno can deal with electrics), but I really think that I need one more stalker besides Ampharos. I have come up with Quagsire and Piloswine, but they are too vulnerable to Typlhosion... Would a normal pkm be a good idea?

Actually, I realized that I have 3 pkm weak against eq. Although, Gligar is good agaisnt sandslash, it's weak against Quagisire and mostly Piloswine, which can kill 4 team members. So, which pkm should I choose, considering that it must be a stalker, reliable to use against ground pkm and ,if possible, not vulnerable to Typhlosion nor electrics (since I have already got two water pkm)?

So, I've thought about dropping Gyarados for Politoed (what moveset do you reccomend for it?)
Use either the drumming set:

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
- Belly Drum
- Body Slam
- Hydro Pump
- Lovely Kiss

Or the growth set:

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
- Growth
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam
- Surf

As for your normal pokemon idea consider using Granbull, it'll help your Hypno survive. For your Quasire weak consider using a Bellossom with Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and Synthesis since Quasire's set is usually Surf, Curse, Earthquake, and Rest or keep Gyarados. Also if you're really having trouble with Piloswine and Quasire try using a Toxic Blastoise it makes a nice mini Suicune. Tbh I'd really use Refect on Ampharos over Sleep Talk, and ditch one of your pokemon with a Granbull. Over Kabutops imo it's not doing that much and as stated in my last post use Magneton with Reflect over Ampharos for better support against Ground, Fighting, and Normal attack which are the most used physical attacks in uu.

New ideas

I have been thinking about having three water pkm in one team: Politoed, Kaputops and Blastoise (or Slowking). Let me explain: Tops is for normal resist, Politoed would use the drum set (therefore, it would lack survability) and Blastoise or Slowking would be the pure water to counter Typhlosion and Piloswine (either of then would have the same moveset: Curse, Rest, Surf, Eq - which of them do you think is better?). The team, of course, would be too vulnerable to electrics and grasses (Vic mostly), can Hpno and Typhlosion handle them?

If you consider that this "triple water" idea isn't a good one, let me give you two more options I have also thought. I have decided to use the follwing pkm: Typhlosion, Hypno, Politoed and Gyarados. However, I want to use Ampharos for the electric spot on the team. Consequently, I need to have a normal resist different from Magneton, and I guess that Kaputops is the best option left. But, in case you think that three waters are too much for a team, what other normal resist can I use? Sudowood?
Or do you think that there aren't any other decent options to consider besides Magneton, Kabutops and Omastar, and I must accept the fact that Magneton is absolutely indispensable if one wants to use two water pkm not resistent to normal attacks in the team? In this situation, what pkm would be useful to use for the last spot, besides Granbull?

I have been thinking about having three water pkm in one team: Politoed, Kaputops and Blastoise (or Slowking). Let me explain: Tops is for normal resist, Politoed would use the drum set (therefore, it would lack survability) and Blastoise or Slowking would be the pure water to counter Typhlosion and Piloswine (either of then would have the same moveset: Curse, Rest, Surf, Eq - which of them do you think is better?). The team, of course, would be too vulnerable to electrics and grasses (Vic mostly), can Hpno and Typhlosion handle them?
Yes, Typhlosion can handle them even more if it has the Rest Talking set Fire Blast, Thunder Punch / Earthquake, Rest, and Sleep Talk. Meh If you're going to use Slowking use Surf, Psychic, Rest, and Thunder Wave. If you're Really worried about grass types just put Gligar back. The Rest Talking set beats all the grass types in UU.

If you consider that this "triple water" idea isn't a good one, let me give you two more options I have also thought. I have decided to use the follwing pkm: Typhlosion, Hypno, Politoed and Gyarados. However, I want to use Ampharos for the electric spot on the team. Consequently, I need to have a normal resist different from Magneton, and I guess that Kaputops is the best option left. But, in case you think that three waters are too much for a team, what other normal resist can I use? Sudowood?
Or do you think that there aren't any other decent options to consider besides Magneton, Kabutops and Omastar, and I must accept the fact that Magneton is absolutely indispensable if one wants to use two water pkm not resistent to normal attacks in the team? In this situation, what pkm would be useful to use for the last spot, besides Granbull?
If you're going to use Typhlosion, Hypno, Politoed and Gyarados and Ampharos consider using Sudowoodo as you said in your last post but imo it's not that good. It doesn't even get Explosion in GSC. IMO I'd just lose Gyarados for either Omastar or Kabutops and place a Gligar in your last spot to handle your so called grass problems.

Almost finished

Sorry to disturb you again Ace, but I have made some changes in the team, according to your advice above. I am convinced that Magneton is the best option as a normal resist, since I get rid of Kabutops, so that now I have: Typhlosion (Special sweeper version), Hypno, Politoed (Drumset), Gyarados (DE, Tbolt, HP ground, Hydro Pump) and Magneton (restalker, HP ice, tbolt). Regarding this, I would like to ask you: what would be a good pkm to occupy the last spot, considering the weak points of the team and the most used pkm in UU, such as Typhlosion, Vic and Ampharos? MaybeGligar? Sandslash? I know it's impossible to counter them all with just a pkm, consider which of them is the most dangerous for the whole group or any other pkm that could destroy the team. I really think that normal pkms aren't a good idea, because they are so easy to counter, except for Stanler that learns eq, but its stats are horrible. Just remember that I am already using two water pkms.

Thank you for your help

Well, you could try using Muk if it isn't illegal in UU Stadium because it's 105 hp and 100 base sdef isn't nothing to laugh at.

Muk (M) @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Explosion / Rest
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

If it is Illegal then yes use Gligar as your last slot. Gligar can beat all three of them but it can't really switch on Typhlosion or if your opponent predicts Gligar's switch with a Hidden Power Ice. But yes Gligar / Hypno / Politoed should counter all Typhlosion, Victreebel, and Ampharos. Hypno also has Light Screen which is much help in dealing with special threats like Typhlosion.

Almost there

Yeah, Muk is ilegal, sadly... But what about weezing ? I personally think that Piloswine would be a good option because it is resist to electric and grass. Gligar is cool, but with it I have three vulnerable pkm to electrics, since most of then carries HP ice. On the other hand, Piloswine is beaten by Typhlosion and it can eliminate mag, gyarados, ampharos and maybe my typhlosion, however politoed is a good counter to it, as so is Hypno. Besides, Gligar can't handle Typhlosion appropriatedly as well. So, what you think about piloswine ? Or maybe Sandslash ?! Or Quagsire ?

Yeah, Muk is ilegal, sadly... But what about weezing ? I personally think that Piloswine would be a good option because it is resist to electric and grass. Gligar is cool, but with it I have three vulnerable pkm to electrics, since most of then carries HP ice. On the other hand, Piloswine is beaten by Typhlosion and it can eliminate mag, gyarados, ampharos and maybe my typhlosion, however politoed is a good counter to it, as so is Hypno. Besides, Gligar can't handle Typhlosion appropriatedly as well. So, what you think about piloswine ? Or maybe Sandslash ?! Or Quagsire ?
Weezing can't really take special hits like Muk can. A Fire Blast from Typhlosion does 52% ~ 61% which is a 2hko and a Thunderbolt from Ampharos does about 43% ~ 50% of damage which is a 3hko.

Meh I would pick Sandslash seeing as it can sweep with Swords Dance; You also have Thunder Wave on Hypno; Body Slam on Bellytoed; Zap Cannon on Gyarados if you're lucky enough to hit. If you're having problems with Killing Grass types which I doubt since you have Typhlosion. Quagsire is the best probably the best defensive ground type in uu. They all have their strong points, but I think Sandslash is the best option for this team as stated above.

Yeah, I agree Sandslash is the best option, with Swords Dance, Eq, Rock Slide and what? Substitute, Rest or Dynamic Punch?
One other thing: how can I counter an enemy Gyarados using Hp ground, tbolt, hpump and Double-edge with this team (Typhlosion, Polietoed, Hypno, Magneton, Sandslash and Gyarados)?

Yeah, I agree Sandslash is the best option, with Swords Dance, Eq, Rock Slide and what? Substitute, Rest or Dynamic Punch?
I've always used Substitute on Swords Dancing Sandslash, Rest can work too.

One other thing: how can I counter an enemy Gyarados using Hp ground, tbolt, hpump and Double-edge with this team (Typhlosion, Polietoed, Hypno, Magneton, Sandslash and Gyarados)?
Well, it's not like enemy Gyarados can switch on any of your pokemon without getting screwed. Typhlosion might Thunderpunch in on the switch, Polietoed might paralysis it with Body Slam or put it to sleep with Lovely Kiss, Hypno might paralysis it with Thunder Wave, Magneton detroys it with Thunderbolt, Sandslash Rock Slides it and you own Gyarados Zap Cannon's in. Anyways the best counter for Gyarados in UU is probably the Rest Talking Ampharos you had in your first team (even with Hidden Power Ground Ampharos still beats it.) Or you could switch with Hypno scaring it off with Thunder Wave and Hypno's defense isn't that bad. If you're going to do that you should Probably use Omastar / Kabutops / Sudowoodo over one of your water pokemon. Maybe over Gyarados.

1,300 Post, w00t.

Impulsive decision

So, I will drop Gyarados for Kaputops and Magneton for Ampharos. However, I will have three pkm vulnerable to eq (Amp, Typ, Kabu) and none imune or resistent to grounds (sandslash, Hypno and politoed). First, I thought of dropping Sandslash for Gligar, but then I remembered that I would have a 4 pkm vulnerable to Piloswine as I have stated in my second post. So, I think it's recommendable to give up Politoed and use Blastoise instead, since it can handle eq much better than Poli, and retain Sandslash (final team= Typh, Amp, Kapu, Blas, Sand, Hypno). I just worried about the lack of offense that Blastoise causes. Thinking about it, I came up with the following idea: using eq, curse, rest and surf on the 'big turtle'. So what do you think about this moveset? Is Blastoise a good option, doesn't it lack offense too much?

Eh don't use a wannabe Quasire set. If you really want to use that set use Quasire. I don't recommend it though. Blastoise isn't meant to sweep. It's more used as a bulky water in UU.

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
- Rapid Spin / Reflect / Ice Beam / Toxic / Roar / Haze
- Rapid Spin / Reflect / Ice Beam / Toxic / Roar / Haze
- Rest
- Surf

The first two moves are you choice. Rapid Spin helps against Spiking Qwilfish, Reflect for it's awesome support for the rest of your team, Ice Beam for grass Pokemon like Victreebel and Bellossom, Toxic for screwing over Gyarados and other Pokemon, and Haze / Roar for your (p)hazing needs.

Ok, Blastoise will have Surf, Rest, Reflect and Ice beam. IB is because of my tremendous grass weakness (mainly Vic), that can kill Kapu, Sand and Blas. Hypno and Ampharos aren't a good counter either (although Hypno is supereffective against Vic, it has sleep powder...). So, I really depend on Typhlosion to counter grasses, that's why I thought of using it as a restalker. Is this a good idea? If so, what moveset would be more appropriated?
Also, maybe I could drop Sand for gligar, but I don't like the idea since I think that the team cannot stand such a loss in offense... What do you think?

So, I really depend on Typhlosion to counter grasses, that's why I thought of using it as a restalker. Is this a good idea? If so, what moveset would be more appropriated?
If you're going to use Typhlosion as a Rest Talk use:

Typhlosion (M) @ Leftovers
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Earthquake / Thunderpunch / Hidden Power Grass
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Use Flamethrower if you like it's accuracy and PP or use Fire Blast if you like it's power. Earthquake is used to hurt other Fire types, and rock types like Sudowoodo / Omastar / Kabutops. Thunderpunch is used mostly for Water types and last but not least Hidden Power Grass destroys Quasire and fossil friends.
Also, maybe I could drop Sand for gligar, but I don't like the idea since I think that the team cannot stand such a loss in offense... What do you think?
I don't think you're lacking offense; you're using Typhlosion with it's wide options on special moves; Swords Dancing Kabutops. If you plan on losing Sandslash which is another offensive threat then consider using a Cusing Gligar to fill it's spot and use either Typhlosion / Ampharos as a Rest Talker or even both if you really want too.

Gligar (M) @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Curse
- Wing Attack

Hoped that helped.

I probably wouldn't use Rest on a Poke that isn't Sleep Talking because it's a free switch in for a lot things that could set up. You're probably best going without Curse.

I probably wouldn't use Rest on a Poke that isn't Sleep Talking because it's a free switch in for a lot things that could set up. You're probably best going without Curse.
Well, it's not like has problems on switching against Water / Ice Pokemon. When he's using Hypno / Ampharos; Gligar actually has defense to live through a Rest. If you really don't like Rest on Cursing Gligar then use Counter / Screech / Thief over it or lose Curse completely and use Sleep Talk over it.

The very last questions

I decided to retain sandslash and blastoise, no gligar. But, I have a problem about Toise's moveset. I want to use Rest, Reflect, Surf. The last spot is the deal: haze (to counter drum politoed) or ice beam, since I have three pkm vulnerable to grasses (kabutops, blastoise and sandslash, then grasses would be walled by typhlosion (restalker or special sweeper?). So, what do you say about these two last questions?

Thanks for everything

Well, If i were you I'd use Haze with the Rest Talker since you'll counter both Politoed and Grass pokemon even more than Ice Beam with the Special Sweeper. It's either you hit other Pokemon harder with Ice Beam / Special Sweeper or Help against threats like Politoed and grass Pokemon with Haze / Rest Talker.

The finishing detail

I'll use haze on Blastoise, and I want to keep the special sweeper version of Typhlosion. I won't use the restalker unless it's highly reccomended to do so, since the team would be too vulnerable to grasses. So, can I keep the special swepeer version and, at the same time, not have problems with grasses, like Vic ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)