Guide to Trick Room in BW OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ask me a Trick Room guide on site would be harmful. I'm seeing a sudden trend of people posting / talking on IRC about trick room teams like they're a legitimate playstyle- it would be fine if they were just messing around with it but it's not an actual viable thing. There are a low number of strategies that new players should seriously be trying to be use in OU and Trick Room is not one of them, if they see a Trick Room guide on site they will probably accept it as a viable strategy. Ideally a new player can just dissect their playing through logs with confidence knowing they're using the right thing, it's a setback when they've already accepted the wrong thing as "good".

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I agree that Full TR is kind of gimmicky (I say this as a fan of full TR) but it fares exceptionally well against the dominant playstyle - offense. That alone should net it a spot onsite.

Also, Bolt Strike > Fusion Bolt on Victini.

Trick Room guide on site would be harmful
You do realize that Smogon has an OU Guide to Trick Room for Diamond and Pearl? YEE, why would you say it is harmful to the site? This guide is here to help people understand how to use Trick Room and to continue on from the old DP version of the Trick Room guide. You obviously don't know the people in my Trick Room group who greatly appreciates this guide, because the old one is out of date and the meta game has changed from DP. Trick Room got some new Pokemon from BW and some people need to know which Pokemon would work on Trick Room. If someone wants to play with Trick Room let them, you can't make them choose a different play style.

There are a low number of strategies that new players should seriously be trying to be use in OU and Trick Room is not one of them
Every play style is a vital to competitive play whether you don't view it is. No style is gimmick, because Trick Room has a niche even in VGC. Not every player likes to do the standard weather teams in OU. That's why you see people uploading mono-types, and weather less team. Everyone is different and likes to play differently.

You do realize that Smogon has an OU Guide to Trick Room for Diamond and Pearl? No one said it was harmful to the site. Why would you say it is harmful to the site? This guide is here to help people understand how to use Trick Room and to continue on from the old DP version of the Trick Room guide. You obviously don't know the people in my Trick Room group who greatly appreciates this guide, because the old one is out of date and the meta game has changed from DP. Trick Room got some new Pokemon from BW and some people need to know which Pokemon would work on Trick Room.

Every playstyle is a vital to competetive play. No style is gimmick. Not every player likes to do the standard weather teams in OU. That's why you see people uploading mono-types, and weather less team. Everyone is different and likes to play differently.
Dang Sciztar, beat me to the punch. Even though I don't have the authority to approve this article, I would give this a thumps up to be out the website. I would even to go as far as Scizar writting Trick Room for UU and UBer. Sciztar is the only one who took the time to make this whole article all by himself so that should be taken into content.

Sciztar never mentioned throughout his article that he recommend using full Trick Room Team. He has even made a section about late game sweepers. That shows us that the author does not like full Trick Room Team. The only person that likes the use of full Trick Room team is Aboslete. Sciztar only mentioned Aboslete's successful team as an example team. So this argument about using full Trick Room team should stop.

to the guy that thinks this guide would be harmful might want to rethink that statement. I in fact liked a Pokemon that was too slow for the meta game so I looked for a stragety that could turn that Pokemon into a sweeper. That is where I found Trick Room. I do agree with Sciztar not everyone likes to use the standard weather teams in OU. Smogon has an NU Guide to Trick Room for BW, but to question whether to put one in the OU tier is dissappointing. If you don't like Trick Room then don't use it, but there are some people who like to use Trick Room and would greatly appreciate a guide to help them make a successful team whether it be competitive or for fun.

Update: I've been talking with some people and its half and half on their view of Trick while some view full Trick Room is gimmick, the overall guide that people have read is very helpful and should be put online because this is a good up date to the older Trick Room Guide.

No one is trying force anyone to use a certain thing, unless the person's interest is to compete as well as possible. I'll remind you if you missed it that this is a competitive website, don't post this-

"When D/P first introduced Trick Room, many people saw it as a gimmick move, only to be used against your friends and never consider it as a serious competitive play style. After a while some people started to notice the benefits of using Trick Room and started to use it in competitive play. In D/P, OU Trick Room Teams were feared because of the unpredictability of certain Pokemon. Now in Black & White and Black & White 2, weather teams are very common in the OU tier and OU Trick Room Teams have been on the decline. This guide is here to help show you that Trick Room is a viable strategy in the OU in Black & White and Black & White 2 that all teams should look out for when team building."

as the introduction. It is not acceptable to have the #1 competitive singles site in the world trying to sell Trick Room as a viable strategy that people should be using. If you want to write this guide, you have to make it completely clear at the beginning that Trick Room teams shouldn't be used if the only interest is to win, and are only there as a gimmick for fun. Both of you missed the point of my post entirely, if you want to use whatever you want that is fine, but you're not allowed mislead others into using it when they're reading content from this site to learn about winning alone.

No one is trying force anyone to use a certain thing, unless the person's interest is to compete as well as possible. I'll remind you if you missed it that this is a competitive website, don't post this-

"When D/P first introduced Trick Room, many people saw it as a gimmick move, only to be used against your friends and never consider it as a serious competitive play style. After a while some people started to notice the benefits of using Trick Room and started to use it in competitive play. In D/P, OU Trick Room Teams were feared because of the unpredictability of certain Pokemon. Now in Black & White and Black & White 2, weather teams are very common in the OU tier and OU Trick Room Teams have been on the decline. This guide is here to help show you that Trick Room is a viable strategy in the OU in Black & White and Black & White 2 that all teams should look out for when team building."

as the introduction. It is not acceptable to have the #1 competitive singles site in the world trying to sell Trick Room as a viable strategy that people should be using. If you want to write this guide, you have to make it completely clear at the beginning that Trick Room teams shouldn't be used if the only interest is to win, and are only there as a gimmick for fun. Both of you missed the point of my post entirely, if you want to use whatever you want that is fine, but you're not allowed mislead others into using it when they're reading content from this site to learn about winning alone.
Smogon is made up of different type of competive people. While one group my dominate the frame for what strategy they use you're left with the other gameplay. Trick Room is now an anti-meta game strategy for people who don't like weather teams. If you don't like Trick Room then find a way to counter it, just like ever other competitive style of play.

For one this guide is not misleading, it's informative. I'm wondering would you be making this argument with me if this was an UU or NU Guide? I don't understand your argument about Smogon selling Trick Room. This is a guide! It's to help people who like Trick Room to know how to play with Trick Room and the strategy of Trick Room.

But on a side note I like your interpretation of my introduction I'll change it. You have shown that my introduction does make the argument that it is a little gimmick.

For the record - I have had a few OU teams, weather, bulky offensive and stall. Even though I'm new to TR, with help from this guide, I'm currently using my most successful team regardless of strategy. (BTW its full trick room even though this article doesn't advise it)
There are so many valid reasons for choosing trick room: Maybe, you're tired of your offensive/weather being predicted all the time. Maybe its the challenge of a new playstyle. Maybe you want to look at your team and actually see it as different from every other combination of ninetoad/scizloom you've seen today. Maybe you just want to see crawdaunt defeat 2-3 pokemon a match.
Just because the article appears in smogon, doesn't mean I'll definitely go for trick room and then be upset at smogon when it doesn't work out. There are a number of articles on strategies and I make the choice myself. In fact it surprises me that Smogon doesn't offer official OU trick room articles. Because without them, you're leaving smogon users more unprepared for a strategy, that is more than effective on the unprepared and that is used in competitive play regardless of official blessing.

I switched out Dusclops for Cofagrigus. Is there any Pokemon that I'm leaving off that would be great for Trick Room in OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)