Gulpin [QC 2/3] QC REJECTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overview
########

- Good movepool, access to nice support moves.
- Mediocre all around stats, decent bulk
- Its type gains more utility in xy thanks to the common fairies such as Spritzee and Cottonee
- Suffers from competition by the likes of Koffing and Trubbish: the first outclasses it as a user of Pain Split entirely since it has Will-O-Wisp support, and is a good physical wall as it reaches 30 Defense with Eviolite, while the second has Spikes support, can run Berry Juice + Recycle and can also beat the most common sets of Pawniard, and even Grimer should be considered first before choosing Gulpin while teambuilding.

Stockpile
########

Name: Stockpile
move 1: Stockpile
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Encore / Hidden Power Fire / Toxic
move 4: Ice Beam / Sludge Bomb
ability: Sticky Hold
item: Eviolite
evs: 116 HP / 172 Def / 12 SpA / 172 SpD
nature: Modest

Moves
========

- Stockpile is the most effective way to use Gulpin
- Pain Split allows Gulpin to heal itself and weaken its opponent at the same time
- Encore is useful to lock set up sweepers like Scraggy and forcing them to switch out
- HP fire is a choice for coverage, since it allows to 2hko Ferroseed, dents Honedge and Magnemite, while Toxic for obvious status move
- Ice Beam hits Archen and Drilbur for decent amount of damage, while Sludge Bomb is for STAB

Set Details
========
- Sticky Hold is the best choice as ability, because it keeps Gulpin from losing Eviolite
- Modest + 12 evs boost that bad 43 base sp.atk in order to deal acceptable damage
- The remaining EVs combined with Eviolite give Gulpin all around decent bulk

Usage tips
========

- Send Gulpin generally to a fighting mon or something who cant hurt it and start set up
- It can be sent to stop a pokemon from set upping thanks to Encore, but must make sure it is a safe switch, not also it needs it to beat bulk up timburr and set-up variants of croagunk reliably

Team options
========

- Porygon/lickitung/munchlax should be the #1 team options, they deal with abra while gulpin absorbs knock off, beats fighters etc
- Gulpin forms a nice core with vullaby, which grants both ground and psychic immunities
- Any set up sweeper who can gain advantage to Encore support from gulpin could be nice too, like dd Scraggy, who ports a nice psychic immunity as a plus
- Wish Support can help it try to sweep more than once, with Lickitung in particular appreciating Gulpin's resistance to Fighting-type attacks.

Other option
########

- Acid Spray could be nice, but it's generally an inferior option
- It could also run a Curse set with Fire Punch, Gunk Shot and Pain Split / Rest, but it is overall less effective than Stockpile set
- Hidden power fight is an option to make ohko to scarf pawniard and 2hko to the eviolite unlike hp fire
- rest talk is an option to have a recover.

Checks and counters
########

**Steel-types**: Steel types can switch on Gulpin safely if it lacks hp fire, and Pawniard can set up on it bar Encore/ hp fire.

**Ground-types** : Drilbur counters it easily if it lacks Ice Beam

**Psychic-types**: Abra is obviously threatening to Gulpin, while Gothita can trap it, and Slowpoke can check Gulpin easily, thanks to Regenerator

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
This isn't a QC check, and I don't have the time to fully analyze this right now, but a few things I notice at a glance so far:

- Ice Beam hits flying types for decent amount of damage, while Sludge Bomb is for STAB
Sludge Bomb hits every relevant Flying-type for neutral damage besides Archen. If anything, Ice Beam's purpose on this set would be to hit Archen and Drilbur on the switch-in, as they can both Earthquake Gulpin to hell after getting in, and somewhat of a deterrent for them to just come in to do that might be nice. Apart from that, Ice coverage on a Poison-type is kind of redundant.

- HP fire is a choice for coverage, since it allows to 2hko steels like Ferroseed, Honedge and Magnemite with ease, while Toxic for obvious status move
12+ SpA Gulpin Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Honedge: 8-10 (38 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

12+ SpA Gulpin Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 10-12 (52.6 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Remember that Magnemite is faster and has Berry Juice + Recycle.

- Suffers from competition by the likes of Koffing or Foongus and gets easily walled by common steels like Honedge or Ferroseed, bar hp fire of course
Foongus functions much differently as a Poison-type, and Koffing outclasses it as a Poison-type and user of Pain Split entirely since it's also a capable physical wall that has Will-O-Wisp and an effective 30 Defense with Eviolite. Trubbish should be mentioned here, as it has several advantages over Gulpin, especially its Berry Juice + Recycle stall, but also Spikes and the ability to beat most variants of Pawniard.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gulpin gets Sticky Hold, if I'm correct, so I think it would have a bit more utility than Liquid Ooze, because getting chip damage off draining moves, none of which even do much to gulpin, is probably inferior to being unable to lose your item.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
Remove Liquid Ooze because Sticky Hold is the superior ability; mention this as an advantage.
Mention that Koffing, Trubbish and even Grimer should always be considered first before choosing Gulpin. Gulpin's only real advantage is Encore, and this is hardly ever enough to warrant a position on a competent team.

Stockpile:
Change the ability to Sticky Hold. Reflect this change in the Set Details.

Team Options:
Mention that Wish Support can help it try to sweep more than once, with Lickitung in particular appreciating Gulpin's resistance to Fighting-type attacks.

Checks and Counters:
This isn't formatted correctly.
For example, for Steel-types, you should do
**Steel-types**: Steel types can switch on Gulpin safely if it lacks hp fire, and Pawniard can set up on it bar Encore/ hp fire.
See other analyses if you aren't sure.
Change Abra to a Psychic-type section, and mention Gothita, who can trap, and Slowpoke, who can check Gulpin repeatedly thanks to Regenerator.

I'm honestly struggling to see why Gulpin should even be used so I don't have much to say, but you did a pretty nice job on the analysis. QC 1/3

Overview:
Remove Liquid Ooze because Sticky Hold is the superior ability; mention this as an advantage.
Mention that Koffing, Trubbish and even Grimer should always be considered first before choosing Gulpin. Gulpin's only real advantage is Encore, and this is hardly ever enough to warrant a position on a competent team.

Stockpile:
Change the ability to Sticky Hold. Reflect this change in the Set Details.

Team Options:
Mention that Wish Support can help it try to sweep more than once, with Lickitung in particular appreciating Gulpin's resistance to Fighting-type attacks.

Checks and Counters:
This isn't formatted correctly.
For example, for Steel-types, you should do
See other analyses if you aren't sure.
Change Abra to a Psychic-type section, and mention Gothita, who can trap, and Slowpoke, who can check Gulpin repeatedly thanks to Regenerator.

I'm honestly struggling to see why Gulpin should even be used so I don't have much to say, but you did a pretty nice job on the analysis. QC 1/3
Thanks, will fix tomorrow :)

mention hp fighting in oo for usually ohko'ing scarf pawn and always 2hko'ing eviolite pawn unlike hp fire, also mention resttalk there i guess. porygon/lickitung/munchlax should be the #1 team options, they deal with abra while gulpin absorbs knock off, beats fighters etc. where you talk about encore in moves mention that it needs it to beat bulk up timburr and set-up variants of croagunk reliably. after that, 2/3

mention hp fighting in oo for usually ohko'ing scarf pawn and always 2hko'ing eviolite pawn unlike hp fire, also mention resttalk there i guess. porygon/lickitung/munchlax should be the #1 team options, they deal with abra while gulpin absorbs knock off, beats fighters etc. where you talk about encore in moves mention that it needs it to beat bulk up timburr and set-up variants of croagunk reliably. after that, 2/3
Thanks!
Fixed.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
After speaking with Rowan about this for a second opinion, I've decided that Gulpin is just not viable enough to have an analysis. Koffing and Trubbish are both much better choices and Gulpin's only useful advantage over those two is access to Encore, a move that has much more viable users.

I'll remove this now.

QC Rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)