Gyarados Guillotine

Gyarados Guillotine

Hi I'm Kakuna and I am pretty new here although I have been lurking for a while. I'm pretty much your average pokémon nerd white trash guy, but that isn't important. I decided to write this RMT to introduce myself to the community. I have been playing for about a year competitively and its pretty cool. I like Ubers and UU, but I guess OU is okay. My favorite type has always been bug and my favorite pokemon is Kakuna. Whenever I play the actual pokemon games my rival is always called Metapod. My first post here was actually my own metagame :o. You can play it if you want just click the link in my signature. Anyways this is an OU RMT and it features everybody's favorite weather- rain. I used to play OU and ladder a lot but now I guess I don't really play any more. I am comfy with my skill level and feel that I am good, but my judgment (yes) isn't very good. Usually when I play OU I just use utter garbage like rotom-h and slowking to troll people or I don't ladder and actually do my homework. Anyways this is my attempt to introduce myself to the community and while I kind of now the team sucks it is sort of OK or something. This is my first RMT ever so if you want to laugh at how bad at it is along with me that is totally cool. I mean for god's sake I'm using a gyarados. What a stupid hipster. Enjoy!

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Toxic
- Encore
Ooh defensive politoed look how original I am! Politoed is here to bring rain, although I'm not quite sure how he does it. Does he do some ancient Indian rain ritual? I'm in favor that he flies around on a lugia and urinates everywhere. Anways Politoed is my switch in to lots of dumb stuff because can't always wall everything all by himself so Politoed handles lots of attackers and spreads toxic around to bulky water types. I have encore over perish song because I find it to be much more useful overall especially because my team has some offense to it. Hidden power electric hits other politoeds and keldeo but I really put it here for other gyarados that get past ferrothorn. It is realitvely useless but I have no other moves I really need so whatever. The speed lets me beat most jellicent and the rest is in physical defense for physical attacker.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
Donphan is a very sturdy elephant turtle. He sort of just sits on the battlefield and does his thing while huge titans throw nukes around. His proximity to the ground makes him very hard to budge. My set is really standard- the point of the set being a bulky ground with rapid spin. Rapid spin isn't necessary for the team and I could run a landorus-t here but it doesn't have ice shard and rapid spin. Toxicroak can take fighting hits. My EVs let me take a +2 close combat from subsalac terrakion after spikes, I think.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
It's everybody's favorite spiked ball from hell ferrothorn! If you don't know how ferrothorn works you have been living under a rock for like 2 and a half years. This set is standard down to the EVs because I haven't bothered making custom EVs yet, maybe somebody could give me some? Ferrothorn was chosen to wall water types like starmie and dragon types. I run dual STAB because power whip can't hit breloom and others. Leech seed is cool for recovery and can help politoed stay alive. One thing you should know though is I pretty much never switch ferrothorn out and it always works. For example I leave him out against ninetales as it goes for a toxic or sunny day. I get off a leech seed and bluff and I.Q. of 4. Then I switch in Politoed as they go for fire blast and have a huge upper hand in the weather war.

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance
Toxicroak is the first of the offensive members of my team. Under rain swords dance croak is pretty hard to stop. The only hard counters are sableye and jellicent and Politoed can toxic both of them. Toxicroak was originally picked because of his awesome synergy with gyarados. Any bulky waters or ferrothorns that want to troll gyarados can deal with my toxic frog. What is especially cool is when he sets up on tentacruel and absorbs his toxic spikes. The EVs let me outspeed adamant breloom which is a threat to my team. Ice punch kills dragonite, gliscor, landorus-t, landorus, and subgengar. Sucker punch kills psychic types and fast threats. Drain punch heals and damages.

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 84 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Bounce
-Substitute
The main event. DD gyarados is really underrated and can actually handle landorus-- with immunity to earth power and resistance to focus blast and neutrality to HP ice. His only real counters are rotom-w and ferrothorn. As long as rotom-w uses volt switch I can beat him and ferrothorn loses to intimidate and sub predictions around leech seed. Gyarados checks fighting types like keldeo and conkeldurr with his eyes closed- easy! My EVs will outspeed modest venusaur and scarf terrakion at +2. The bulk does something I can't remember and the rest is in attack. Not much else to say except gyarados is a boss. I use intimidate to help against physical attackers and because won't you send in your best counter to gyarados anyways? And once that is gone then gyarados doesn't have a problem sweeping. I don't know but I like intimidate.

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 232 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Specs hydreigon is sort of my pet mon that I always try to use, but I feel like this is one of the few teams where he really fits. Hydreigon is meant to check SpD Rotom-W and serve as my main special attacker. Draco meteor is really strong for pretty much everything. Surf completes most coverage and nails steel types like jirachi. Surf 2HKOs SubCM jirachi. Focus blast hits a few targets: heatran in sun, tyranitar, and ferrothorn. Dragon pulse is like draco meteor if I want to sweep some weakened team instead of kill something out right. Hydreigon was picked over latios so that speciall defensive rotom and tyranitar would not rape my team, especially when combined with a spinner like forretress. I have experimented with fire blast over focus blast to hit scizor hardest and ferrothorn with greater accuracy. Not to mention sun teams, but draco/dragon pulse takes care of chlorophyllers. About dark pulse over dragon pulse, I like dragon ppulse because of justified and other fighting types. Jellicent can take a draco meteor to the face or get toxiced by politoed. Look I know latios should be used here but I play for fun primarily not victory so I'm not going to be a sellout. If I ever play in a tournament when I really need to win I will use latios. When I do use latios I use life orb with draco meteor/thunder/HP fighting/roost

Well I guess this is the end and stuff so have a nice day. If you like it you can leave a luvdisc or whatever or a suggestion for improvement. I think my ferrothorn's EVs need some help. Maybe this team will inspire more people to use gyarados toxicroak and donphan. They are all really cool :). Bye.

Also support the other metagames, especially GSC modern!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey there and welcome to Smogon n_n

This team is quite solid. The team has both offensive and defensive synergy- and the pokemon seem to work well and cover each other. I din't have much to say that could help you improve the team; but it does appear as if some walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, or Tentacruel could be roblematic as you have no single pokemon that can handle them all at once. This would make defensive Rain / Sand teams be tough to overcome, especially if they run a fast cleaner such as Latios. To help you solve this problem, I think you should try Mixed Hydriegon. It is a powerful wallbreaker that can clear away both special and physical walls so your physical sweepers can attack undeterred.

Hydriegon @ Life Orb
Mild / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Superpower / Earthquake

This set gives Hydriegon all the tools it needs in order to prepare the stage for a sweep from Gyara / Toxicroak. When coming off of its massive base 125 SpA, Draco Meteor is sure to be hitting things extremely hard, able to KO most neutral pokemon that don't invest in SpDef. Fire Blast, Superpower, and EQ give Hydriegon perfect coverage- hitting Steel types, the only ones that can take a Draco and live with high HP. Fire Blast nails Forretress and Ferrothorn for the OHKO even in Rain, preventing them from spinning / supporting. Superpower hits Heatran and the Blobs for a great amount of damage- 2HKOing both. Earthquake is in the last slot to hit Jirachi and Tentacruel, though Roost or Surf can also be used if you're confident with Draco Meteor / Fblast. The evs max out Hydriegon's SpA, as well as give it enough speed and some atk.

Now, for some small changes. Instead of HP Electric, which is quite weak on Politoed, I'd run Protect, which lets you scout moves and Toxic / Leech Seed / Burn stall. HP Electric hits Water types but it's awfully weak; it can't even 3HKO most water types, bulky and not bulky :/ Gyarados can also be encored and then KO'd by Ferrothorn.

Nice team!

Lavos

Banned deucer.
yo i don't have much time but you're a cool guy so i want to point out one thing: you are massively weak to any form of thundurus-t. basically, if it has focus blast, it's 6-0ing you. your team lacks a scarfer and any form of safe switch-in, really. the only hope you have of beating it is either relying on focus blast to miss hydreigon, or switching donphan in on a thunder and ice sharding twice, then attemping to revenge it with toxicroak's sucker punch. you need better answers than that. personally i'd recommend running a tank life orb latias set, which performs similarly to hydreigon but doesn't get one-shotted by any of thundurus-t's moves, plus gives you another fighting resist, water resist, ground immunity, etc. it does make you more pursuit weak, but you have donphan and toxicroak for ttar, so overall it just seems flat out better for your team than hydreigon currently is. the set i recommend is below:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 22 HP / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Roost

i like the team, keep at it. later

Ok have been testing stuff and I am going to replace hydreigon for a latios- based off Lavos' suggestion. The set I am using is really strong because I don't find myself needing more speed than thundurus-t which is a threat as Lavos noted. The set is here:

EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 32 SDef / 188 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Roost

This guy checks landorus-i, breloom, and thundurus-t better than hydreigon. I have thunder for bulky waters and paralysis and hidden power fighting for heatran, tyranitar, and politoed. The EVs give him 309 HP which is pretty good for LO. Special defense investment makes him specially bulkier. For electrolyte's suggestions I will try it out but I like HP electric >.<

I am sorry I didn't respond earlier, I was busy, but I really appreciate the rates! Keep them coming.

If Latios is the way you're going, I'm not sure on that EV spread you're running. With Thunder specifically, it would be a wise idea to make sure you get the jump on max Speed Musketeers at the very least, which takes 240 Speed and Timid (they reach 346 max, and you'd hit 247). By the fact you're running 72 HP, putting you at 319 HP, I'm assuming you're aiming for a LO number. You can reach 309, also a LO number, with 32 HP EVs invested. Reaching those numbers you'd need to, you are left with a still respectable 236 SpA investment for your kill-everything needs. So, if max Speed Latios just isn't your thing, 32 HP / 236 SpA / 240 Spe will do you well, and is similar to that set you're using.

That being said, You do have a couple decent musketeer checks already in Toxicroak and Gyarados (the latter for Keldeo in general or Intimidate spamming), so having Latios outrun those base 108's is a little bit less necessary. Infernape though is still a viable threat, since it has a boosted Overheat/Flare Blitz for your Dry Skin Toxicroak (in rain, Overheat doing 57.18 - 67.73% and Flare Blitz doing 60.06 - 71.56%), and little else can take it on if your Politoed is significantly weakened. It also can carry Iron Fist ThunderPunch for that and Gyarados. So Latios may still want those 240 Spe EVs.

EDIT: also wanted to say, awesome to see another Gyarados-user. I've got the GyaraLatio core going on right now and it's quite awesome. Weatherless for me mind you. XD But major props from lil ol me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)