Pokémon Gyarados

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulky Leftovers Gyarados is really cool, but as a sweeper/cleaner/whatever you want to call it, Mega Gyarados (or, rather, having the option to Mega Evolve) is definitely superior.

The typing mind games are amazing -- they often lead to it getting multiple Dragon Dances or getting one in a scenario where it otherwise couldn't (e.g. against a Stone Edge user, like Tyranitar). The worse typing doesn't really matter defensively, because it's generally only going to Mega Evolve when it wants to remove a weakness (so it can set up) or when it starts to attack. Speaking of setting up, the increase in bulk is pretty ridiculous (+30 to both base defenses, not to mention it still gets to use Intimidate). Mega Gyarados is also a lot stronger then Gyarados, unless Gyarados has a Life Orb, which cuts into its bulk even more. OHKOing Rotom-W (after SR or a bit of prior damage, which isn't too unreasonable to expect) is huge, and Mold Breaker lets it pull off other shenanigans like beating Quagsire and OHKOing Dragonite through Multiscale. Scarf Rotom-W is also pretty rare.
Well I can't argue with that, but I believe that despite a mega evolution regular gyarados still performs the role of a late game cleaner fantastically and is criminally underrated, which can also be said for mega gyarados.

Why is that anyway? I can't seem to get my head around why mega gyarados isn't more common.

Well I can't argue with that, but I believe that despite a mega evolution regular gyarados still performs the role of a late game cleaner fantastically and is criminally underrated, which can also be said for mega gyarados.

Why is that anyway? I can't seem to get my head around why mega gyarados isn't more common.
It's probably just because it uses up the Mega slot, lol. But yeah, opportunity cost aside, it's one of the best Pokemon in OU.

Thought I'd post this as it happened while I was half way through writing a message here lol

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-148658490
Reg gyarados sweep! No idea why I used taunt on gengar because I was obviously faster. I must have been thinking of mega banette priority d-bond. Not very impressive because it's only 1400 on the ladder but hey a sweep is a sweep. Excuse the terrible username I have, it's just for testing out new teams.

Also on a side note not related to the replay, bounce misses so much for me and ruins what should be clean sweeps. Fuck that shit. 85% my ass.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Stellar recently discovered that Mold Breaker Roar causes Pokemon immune to hazards via an ability to take damage from them as they switch in (i.e. Magic Guard won't protect from SR damage, Levitators will take Spikes damage). Has anybody tried a RestTalk set to abuse this?
I've actually tried this set in the past with a more gimmicky team designed to use only support moves to win. Obviously it isn't the terrifying threat that we all know and love with the set, but it's quite hilarious when you face a stall oriented team and you spend your time not giving a shit about status effects and just roaring your opponents away into hazards.

Hey guys I'm running a specially defensive megados and was wondering if anyone could help with getting more out of the evs.

Gyarados-Mega (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

If anyone has more efficient specially defensive spreads please let me know. I know its not optimal running such low attack etc. but i've had bad experience with the normal set and this ones helped me quite alot.

Hey guys I'm running a specially defensive megados and was wondering if anyone could help with getting more out of the evs.

Gyarados-Mega (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

If anyone has more efficient specially defensive spreads please let me know. I know its not optimal running such low attack etc. but i've had bad experience with the normal set and this ones helped me quite alot.
Specially defensive Gyarados isn't a thing
It's natural bulk is good enough to live a hit or two. It's more worth your time to put the investments into attack and speed

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
Specially defensive Gyarados isn't a thing
It's natural bulk is good enough to live a hit or two. It's more worth your time to put the investments into attack and speed
Specially defensive MegaDos isn't a thing, but Specially defensive RestTalk regular Gyara definitely is.

Specially defensive MegaDos isn't a thing, but Specially defensive RestTalk regular Gyara definitely is.
Might give it a try when mega swampy comes out :p. for now though does anyone know if i can/ if its worth keeping hp evs on gyara for stronger subs? Or just go all out offense?

Might give it a try when mega swampy comes out :p. for now though does anyone know if i can/ if its worth keeping hp evs on gyara for stronger subs? Or just go all out offense?
It really depends on your preferences. Max speed means you can outspeed greninja after a DD whereas more HP means you can take more hits to set up DDs.

the way it is looking megs swampy might go straight to ubers

(Correct me if I'm doing something wrong, this is my first time posting on the forums)

Well I was playing around with unique sets a couple of weeks ago and I came across an interesting set for Gyarados that works very well, now hear me out because this set is pretty outrageous, pun intended, but it has won me many matchups against threats that nothing else on my team could beat.

Mixed Wall / Threat Crippler (?)
Gyarados @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
IVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Roar / Rest
- Waterfall

In short, what this set does is it comes in on some kind of heavy hitter (preferably physical) to get the Intimidate off, and then take the hit nicely thanks to it's wide range of resistances. After that, it proceeds to Thunder Wave the pokemon, leaving it completely crippled for the rest of the match. This set is especially good for clearing the path for mid-late game setup sweepers or band/specs sweepers.

Taunt is there for if a Pokemon such as Ferrothorn or Skarmory comes in to try and wall it, thinking it will Dragon Dance. This leaves them practically useless as they are forced to switch out, allowing you to get another Thunder Wave off on a different Pokemon, or a Rest if you're running that.

The choice between Rest and Roar is completely up to you. I usually run Roar as it's good for if a Pokemon gets too many boosting moves up to the point where it could sweep, this is also a very good suprise factor as a lot of the time they will usually try to go for one more boost, thinking you're a DD set or something similar. Rest + Chesto Berry is also good for if you want Gyarados to live a little longer, and it also allows it to shake off any status move such as Toxic or Thunder Wave, however I find that Gyarados gets what it can do done before it dies so Roar is the superior option imo.

Waterfall doesn't really need any expanation. Even with 0 EVs and a neutral nature, nothing that taunt can't cripple is going to want to take a STAB Waterfall coming off of a 125 base attack stat, and the EV spread is just to take the most it can from Special Attackers, who aren't affected by Intimidate

Again, please take into consideration that this is the first time I've ever posted on here so go easy on me for such a ridiculous set, and sorry if someone else has posted something similar to this.

P.S.: I like to run Specs Magnezone with this, as them together resist every single move in the game, and Magnezone enjoys the T-Wave support

Last edited:
Stellar recently discovered that Mold Breaker Roar causes Pokemon immune to hazards via an ability to take damage from them as they switch in (i.e. Magic Guard won't protect from SR damage, Levitators will take Spikes damage). Has anybody tried a RestTalk set to abuse this?
Sloghtly unrelated note, but does the same principal apply to dragon tail/circle throw?

Probably. I brought up Roar because nothing is immune to it if you have Mold Breaker.
That makes sense, it's 100% accurate and fairies aren't immune to your phasing like with dragon tail on top of the immunity to magic bounce. It's just unfortunate you need to MEVO and use your inferior typing to access mold breaker. No leftovers either.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Taunt

Gyarados finally got Crunch, a huge improvement, as Gyarados-Mega now has 2 viable STAB moves (Bite pls)
216 Speed let Gyarados outspeed Greninja after a Dragon Dance. 40 HP gives Gyarados an odd HP number so he will take less damage from Stealth Rocks.
The last slot is optional. Taunt seems great versus defensive mons, as they can only attack you with a weak move and you can set-up very easy. Earthquake is for more coverage (OU pokemon that resist Crunch + Waterfall are Breloom, Keldeo, Greninja and Azumarill) Earthquake hits them hard for the exception of breloom. Substitute is an option too, but the lack of any possible recovery (no Leftovers) is very annoying

An Optional Spread of 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Speed outspeed everything below 115 base speed with a positive Nature (like Lati@s, Mega Metagross, Keldeo) at +1 and outspeeds Adamant Breloom and Bisharp after no boosts, while still having an odd HP number.
What are your thoughts about M-Gyarados in ORAS? It seems pretty viable in my opinion

Im loving crung on megagyarados, But giving up taunt or sub on him has lead me to some scenarios where im forced to switch. Anyone had that problem,

I have trouble seeing what crunch does for gyarados. Most sets can't afford to run anything other than waterfall/earthquake/ice gang with a utility move like dd or taunt. Sure crunch give some nice SE coverage, but the neutral coverage of the first three is much more useful

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have trouble seeing what crunch does for gyarados. Most sets can't afford to run anything other than waterfall/earthquake/ice gang with a utility move like dd or taunt. Sure crunch give some nice SE coverage, but the neutral coverage of the first three is much more useful
It fucks up Mega Slowbro and helps with Ferrothorn.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 165-195 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 90-106 (25.5 - 30.1%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
It is great against Mega Slowbro indeed. However, it sucks when you get a Scald burn, but unless you get one, you should be safe as Crunch 2HKO's at +1 (OHKO's at +3) and due to Mold Breaker you can actually crit it (not that you need to rely on that hax, but it's still nice if it happens)

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 384-452 (97.4 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Slowbro: 264-312 (67 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Slowbro: 354-416 (89.8 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

+2 0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 86-102 (25.9 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+4 0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 129-152 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 171-202 (51.6 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can set up against M-Slowbro and if you are at +3 you can KO it. If Bro goes for the burn hax instead of setting up, that is kinda bad, but then it still can't do much back as a +2 Scald only does 25-30%

It fucks up Mega Slowbro and helps with Ferrothorn.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 165-195 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 90-106 (25.5 - 30.1%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Slow bro, yes, but for ferrothorn, you really don't want to lose half your health, so you'll always want to remove it before a sweep with your gothitelle or something. Assuming you're using the gothitelle core, it can also remove slowbro with t bolt

There is always the old fashion regular gyarados. Switches in on intimidate, is immune to EQ and takes meh damage from the other two, so there's two.

Crunch
-Gyarados
-Slowbro

Ice fang
-Altaria
-Breloom*
-Dragonite*
-Sceptile
-Venysaur

* can still revenge kill with priority if low enough hp

Slowbro's enough that it's worth considering, but regardless, it'll need support to sweep

Last edited:
Slow bro, yes, but for ferrothorn, you really don't want to lose half your health, so you'll always want to remove it before a sweep with your gothitelle or something.

There is always the old fashion regular gyarados. Switches in on intimidate, is immune to EQ and takes meh damage from the other two, so there's two.

Crunch
-Gyarados
-Slowbro

Ice fang
-Altaria
-Breloom*
-Dragonite*
-Sceptile
-Venysaur

* can still revenge kill with priority if low enough hp

Slowbro's enough that it's worth considering, but regardless, it'll need support to sweep
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 205-243 (57.1 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 224-264 (62.3 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Venu is more or less a toss-up tbh. Sceptile also outspeeds you at +1 regardless of what you run, so that's not really relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)