Pokémon Gyarados

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mistake, I thought Cell Battery negated the damage. Guess it really is a piss-poor item.

As for the bulky return set, I like it. Dragon Tail means you can't get pHazed out, and Waterfall/Return has pretty good type coverage. I like to give him even more bulk though, so he can switch in on STAB Close Combats with relative ease.

My mistake, I thought Cell Battery negated the damage. Guess it really is a piss-poor item.

As for the bulky return set, I like it. Dragon Tail means you can't get pHazed out, and Waterfall/Return has pretty good type coverage. I like to give him even more bulk though, so he can switch in on STAB Close Combats with relative ease.
Thanks. I am definitely thinking of going with a more bulky EV spread/nature but I'm not sure what exactly. Still need to test it but I'll probably move some ATK EVs into HP. Not sure how much Speed I'd like to sacrifice though.

There's a problem though. I just found out that Bounce is not available for Gyarados, so you should probably edit your post for the time being cutting out Bounce for Gen VI.

How desirable is Dark type coverage this gen? If the answer is reasonably, Bite (as lol as it is) could be feasible on the offensive Mega set. After Mega Evo and a DD, that 30% flinch rate, 100% accuracy and effective 90 BP (factoring STAB) don't sound bad at all. In fact, on paper I prefer it to Stone Edge.

How desirable is Dark type coverage this gen? If the answer is reasonably, Bite (as lol as it is) could be feasible on the offensive Mega set. After Mega Evo and a DD, that 30% flinch rate, 100% accuracy and effective 90 BP (factoring STAB) don't sound bad at all. In fact, on paper I prefer it to Stone Edge.
I'm going to say not very, in the current metagame. Mold Breaker EQ and Ice Fang are hard to get rid of to give Bite a slot; EQ has more power even after STAB, which is depressing for Mega Gyarados. Dark-type coverage will let you nail very specific (relevant) 'mons for extra damage: Lati@s, Celebi and the new Grass/Ghost-types, and Jellicent come to mind. In exchange, you miss out on slamming Rotom-W and OHKOing Multiscale Dragonite, and you can't reliably EQ spam in the face of King's Shield Aegislash either.

But, you've got me thinking. I wonder if TrollFreak had it in mind that Water / Flying / Dark (Waterfall / Bounce / Bite) net perfect neutral coverage, grant usable STAB in both forms, and offer that combined paraflinch opportunity with the three moves. It could be a cool set to use actually, maybe with an emphasis on bulk since you'd be more reliant on 2HKOs than OHKOs.

Last edited:
I
I'm going to say not very, in the current metagame. Mold Breaker EQ and Ice Fang are hard to get rid of to give Bite a slot; EQ has more power even after STAB, which is depressing for Mega Gyarados. Dark-type coverage will let you nail very specific (relevant) 'mons for extra damage: Lati@s, Celebi and the new Grass/Ghost-types, and Jellicent come to mind. In exchange, you miss out on slamming Rotom-W and OHKOing Multiscale Dragonite, and you can't reliably EQ spam in the face of King's Shield Aegislash either.

But, you've got me thinking. I wonder if TrollFreak had it in mind that Water / Flying / Dark (Waterfall / Bounce / Bite) net perfect neutral coverage, grant usable STAB in both forms, and offer that combined paraflinch opportunity with the three moves. It could be a cool set to use actually, maybe with an emphasis on bulk since you'd be more reliant on 2HKOs than OHKOs.
. Mold Breaker EQ I could never part with and I definitely hear you on the Ice Fang! None the less, I think it's worth experimenting with Bite a little, perhaps for the niche, or the surprise (bitelol). I've never cared for bounce [why are Gyarados's secondary STABs soo poor? :( ] because it gives a good opponent too much room to work with.

Last edited:
Omg loving this set, I recommend atleast trying it lol.
I call it
Screw Counters!
Gyarados@Megastone
Abillity:Moxie/MoldBreaker
Evs:Which ever you prefer

Moves:Dragon dance, EarthQuake, waterfall, Ice fang

Now, this set is absolutely hilarious. You set up on something that wont harm you much, destroy the oppising Pokèmon, get a moxie boost (Unless you mega evolved) and sweep. This set laughs in the face of every dragon in OU with ice fang which also takes out things like Thundorus, Zapados. Earthquake is the funniest move on this tho, It kills Aegislash(Shield) Jirachi, Metagross, Gengar (Due to mold breaker) Rotom-W (Due to mold breaker) Lucario/ MegaLucario and more(Most of these are after one DD)(Kills Jolteon if it doesn't Volt tackle). Waterfall takes out things that don't normally die from those other two attacks.

These things that I stated tho are all after a +1 dragon dance. Also note that I'm currently only in the 1500's (almost) so I really do suck, but Mega Gayardos usally takes out on Average 2 pokemonand this set has cause a few forfeits. Anyone fell like trying this out in the 1700+'s?

I got to the 1700s with an all-offensive Mega Gyarados, with Intimidate as it's non-mega ability.

And honestly, I have a lot more success sweeping with this guy than with Megakhan, because now most teams carry a rocky helmet user to check Khan, or a Sableye, Trevenant, Gourgeist-type pokemon. Most teams I face are not really prepared to check, even less, counter Megados. After one Dragon Dance, this thing is almost impossible to stop, no matter what's put in front of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I call it
Screw Counters!
Gyarados@Megastone

Now, this set is absolutely hilarious. You set up on something that wont harm you much, destroy the oppising Pokèmon, get a moxie boost (Unless you mega evolved) and sweep. This set laughs in the face of every dragon in OU with ice fang which also takes out things like Thundorus, Zapados. Earthquake is the funniest move on this tho, It kills Aegislash(Shield) Jirachi, Metagross, Gengar (Due to mold breaker) Rotom-W (Due to mold breaker) Lucario/ MegaLucario and more(Most of these are after one DD)(Kills Jolteon if it doesn't Volt tackle). Waterfall takes out things that don't normally die from those other two attacks.

These things that I stated tho are all after a +1 dragon dance. Also note that I'm currently only in the 1500's (almost) so I really do suck, but Mega Gayardos usally takes out on Average 2 pokemonand this set has cause a few forfeits. Anyone fell like trying this out in the 1700+'s?
Ferrothorn shits on this set.

Ferrothorn tends to do well against almost any physical attacking pokemon, so who really cares? XD That set has a lot of good coverage, actually, so you have teammates to handle the Ferrothorns of the world that can counter Gyarados.

If you want to get past Gyarados's counters Bounce/Waterfall/Taunt/Dragon Dance is the set you want otherwise Skarmory walls it all day long. I really don't see the appeal of the Mega other than beating Rotom-W with Mold Breaker Earthquake, and SubDD Gyarados can get past that set anyway by forcing it to phaze itself with Volt Switch (unless it has Thunderbolt).

If you want to get past Gyarados's counters Bounce/Waterfall/Taunt/Dragon Dance is the set you want otherwise Skarmory walls it all day long. I really don't see the appeal of the Mega other than beating Rotom-W with Mold Breaker Earthquake, and SubDD Gyarados can get past that set anyway by forcing it to phaze itself with Volt Switch (unless it has Thunderbolt).
The power of M-Gyarados resides in the change after the Mega-Evolution. Gyarados is a really bulky Pokémon, and with Intimidate, its relatively hard to one hit it most of the time. Water-Flying is a great defensive combination, and it can easily set-up in the face of things like Scizor, Lucario -if it doesn't have Stone Edge-, and another fighting/physical sweepers. When you see a Gyarados using DD in front of a Pokémon who cannot touch it, the first thing you are going to do is to change into something that can counters (wall) it, or something that could kill it, usually with a rock/electric type move.

That is the moment Gyarados Mega-Evolves, losing his rock type weakness and gains considerable bulk against electric moves, and go with another DD. In that moment, you realize that you are facing a +2/+2 -Mold Breaker- juggernaut, with almost his entire life. It is a very predictable set, but sometimes, knowledge isn't an advantage. It doesn't matter if you know or not what your opponent is going to do, if you doesn't have anything to counter it.

Last edited:
I call it
Screw Counters!
Gyarados@Megastone

I've been using this set on my Mega Gyarados for awhile now. Gets hella walled by Ferrothorn so I try to avoid bringing it out until that's dead. You're also going to get Whirlwind'ed by every Skarmory.

Here's a ~1700 replay that you asked for but he didn't really have any answers:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-72963699

I've been using this set on my Mega Gyarados for awhile now. Gets hella walled by Ferrothorn so I try to avoid bringing it out until that's dead. You're also going to get Whirlwind'ed by every Skarmory.

Here's a ~1700 replay that you asked for but he didn't really have any answers:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-72963699
I've also used that set, and it can be quite frightening, you need good team mates to deal with the counters.

I also use something similar but with Taunt over Waterfall and Intimidate as well. It checks plenty of physical attackers, and most importantly, laughs at Aegislash.

Taunt over waterfall?
Can we see your EV spread and moves?
I used it as a stall breaker, partnered with Garchomp. Taunt was needed just to stop King's Shield and the fairly annoying GourVenant and Gliscor stalls.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
EVs: 160 HP, 160 Atk, 188 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

I don't remember the exact reasons for the EVs but 160 attack was to OHKO 252/252+ Rotom after rocks and one DD. It's not as hard hitting as I would like because of the EVs and lack of STAB, but it wasn't supposed to be a sweeper.

Not really. I usually 2HKO it after DD. The only thing you have to fear is getting seeded, I also stopped using gayradosnite or w.e and started using lum berry (He's usallly statused) and has moxie. Rotom W becomes the problem, but thats why we have 5 other pokemon. Still, no matter what you do the set needs next to no support. and becuase rotom w is a threat, I usally run Jolteon :D. Ethier way not much can take this set out. And you are forgetting I think, every Pokemon, no matter the set has Some form of check or counter.
That and Ferrothorn still does but I run a Mega Vensaur, Which Ferrothorn cant do much to, same goes for My heatran...

Last edited:
I used it as a stall breaker, partnered with Garchomp. Taunt was needed just to stop King's Shield and the fairly annoying GourVenant and Gliscor stalls.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
EVs: 160 HP, 160 Atk, 188 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

I don't remember the exact reasons for the EVs but 160 attack was to OHKO 252/252+ Rotom after rocks and one DD. It's not as hard hitting as I would like because of the EVs and lack of STAB, but it wasn't supposed to be a sweeper.
Why do you need to stop King's Shield? Earthquake isn't a contact move and you'd be better off just getting an extra DD if you predict a King's Shield. I'm really not a fan of this set, stallbreakers need recovery or simple stuff like Ferrothorn's Power Whip, Skarmory's Brave Bird, Forretress's Volt Switch etc will wear you down.

Why do you need to stop King's Shield? Earthquake isn't a contact move and you'd be better off just getting an extra DD if you predict a King's Shield. I'm really not a fan of this set, stallbreakers need recovery or simple stuff like Ferrothorn's Power Whip, Skarmory's Brave Bird, Forretress's Volt Switch etc will wear you down.
That's just an added bonus because it comes up most often. Taunting Aegislash forces them to switch out into their counter, be in Rotom or GourVenant. Then you either m-evo and EQ or Taunt again

That's just an added bonus because it comes up most often. Taunting Aegislash forces them to switch out into their counter, be in Rotom or GourVenant. Then you either m-evo and EQ or Taunt again
Why do you think Taunt forces Aegislash it out? It's Aegislash's attacks Gyarados should be worried about, Shadow Ball/Sacred Sword do about 40% and 60% respectively to normal/mega Gyarados respectively. It's Earthquake being a 1HKO on Blade Aegislash (or 2HKO on Shield) that forces it out, not Taunt.

Since U-turn has been an issue for my team, I've been running this:

Gyarados @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

This is pretty much the RestTalk set he ran in BW, with Rocky Helmet instead of Lefties. A lot of people underestimate Gyara's bulk, especially with Intimidate, so this set is surprisingly effective. The things he can take include:
-Talonflame
-The now-banned M-Kangaskhan
-Physical M-Lucario
-Physical Aegislash
-U-turn users
-Anything that uses contact moves (and, as a result, most physical attackers that don't use stone miss)

The rocks weakness and lack of lefties hurt a bit, but RestTalk can circumvent that. A good partner is something that can take Electric attacks. Ground types work best, but Grass types can as well (I use specially defensive Celebi).

Since U-turn has been an issue for my team, I've been running this:

Gyarados @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

This is pretty much the RestTalk set he ran in BW, with Rocky Helmet instead of Lefties. A lot of people underestimate Gyara's bulk, especially with Intimidate, so this set is surprisingly effective. The things he can take include:
-Talonflame
-The now-banned M-Kangaskhan
-Physical M-Lucario
-Physical Aegislash
-U-turn users
-Anything that uses contact moves (and, as a result, most physical attackers that don't use stone miss)

The rocks weakness and lack of lefties hurt a bit, but RestTalk can circumvent that. A good partner is something that can take Electric attacks. Ground types work best, but Grass types can as well (I use specially defensive Celebi).
Why don't you just use Garchomp to stop most u turners? It Kills most u turners, and is immune to volt switch, it also OHKO's everything on that list except maybe Kangashan after a SD. Rocky helm on a Gyarados is not really that great, especially if you are using rest talk against really bulky pokemon as you can't do to much to them, when if you had Dragon dance it could hit what they switched in hard with water fall. Idk just a thought I guess? But yeah I'm not so sure on your set. Intimadate is good and all on that set but when they realise what set you are running, I'm pretty sure they will just set up on you anyways

Not really. I usually 2HKO it after DD. The only thing you have to fear is getting seeded, I also stopped using gayradosnite or w.e and started using lum berry (He's usallly statused) and has moxie. Rotom W becomes the problem, but thats why we have 5 other pokemon. Still, no matter what you do the set needs next to no support. and becuase rotom w is a threat, I usally run Jolteon :D. Ethier way not much can take this set out. And you are forgetting I think, every Pokemon, no matter the set has Some form of check or counter.
That and Ferrothorn still does but I run a Mega Vensaur, Which Ferrothorn cant do much to, same goes for My heatran...
I use Ferrothorn and have NEVER failed to beat a Gyarados, and the Mega version has a Grass weakness so is usually OHKO'd by Power Whip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)