Gyarados

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
QC: dodmen / Kreme / Pearl / Hogg
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / Haund

[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados's all-around typing with great resistances to Fire, Ground, and Fighting allows it to check a plethora of common threats in UU such as Infernape and Mamoswine; however, a 4x weakness to Electric as well as a Stealth Rock weakness hinders both its defensive and offensive capabilities. Its decent STAB moves in Waterfall and Bounce coupled with its coverage options and access to Dragon Dance make it an amazing setup sweeper. However, despite having quite a few options, Gyarados has a hard time fitting all the coverage it needs to sweep. It has access to two incredible abilities, with Intimidate providing setup opportunities and Moxie allowing Gyarados to snowball out of control after netting an OHKO or two. One major downside for Gyarados, especially the defensive set, is its lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest, forcing it to sit out while the foes can potentially power through it.

[SET]
name: Splashin' Around (Substitute + Dragon Dance)
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Dragon Dance
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Bounce / Earthquake
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute gives Gyarados an immunity to status moves, which can cut its sweep short. Dragon Dance is the obligatory setup move, giving Gyarados sweeping potential after just one boost. Waterfall is Gyarados's main STAB move, hitting most of the tier for great neutral damage as well as hitting Fire- and Ground-type Pokemon such as Entei and Krookodile super effectively. Bounce is the best option Gyarados has for a Flying STAB move, and it still allows Gyarados to hit Grass-types, such as Roserade and Shaymin, as well as hitting Pokemon with Water immunities, such as Toxicroak and Heliolisk. However, since it is a two-turn move, the opponent can just switch out to something that can tank the hit. Earthquake is an option over Bounce that doesn't require to wait a turn before it hits and hits common switch-ins such as Empoleon and Heliolisk.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Gyarados to outspeed positive-natured base 80s such as Chandelure and Mamoswine and OHKO them with its Water-type STAB move as well as outspeed Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedrill at +1. Leftovers is best used with Substitute, as it provides Gyarados with a form of passive recovery, allowing for more potential Substitutes.

Usage Tips
========

This set aims to set up on Water-types that lack a phazing option such as Alomomola and CroCune. Gyarados is meant to pivot in and out early- to mid-game, using Intimidate to check physical threats such as Mamoswine and Infernape. It must be wary of Stealth Rock being on the field, as it chips 25% of Gyarados's HP every time it switches in. Gyarados shouldn't set up until mid- or late-game when certain checks such as Empoleon and Zapdos are gone or worn down to the point of being OHKOed at +1. Gyarados should only be switching in on physical threats, as its Stealth Rock weakness and its lack of bulk investment make it hard to tank hits as well as it wants to.

Team Options
========

Ground-types such as Krookodile, Swampert, and Nidoqueen can provide amazing defensive synergy, as they are immune to Electric and resist Rock. They both can set Stealth Rock as well, aiding in a Gyarados sweep. Grass-types such as Shaymin and Roserade can help break down bulky Water-types that can cripple Gyarados with a Scald burn or force it out via Roar. Pokemon such as Salamence, Zapdos, and Forretress can remove Stealth Rock via Defog or Rapid Spin, which otherwise severely hinders Gyarados's opportunities to switch in. Other setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Cobalion and Swords Dance Lucario can help Gyarados wear down each other's checks and counters, paving the way for either one to set up and sweep.

[SET]
name: Flying Sea Snake (Dragon Dance + Three Attacks)
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Bounce / Earthquake
move 4: Earthquake / Double-Edge / Stone Edge
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance gives Gyarados a way to boost its Attack and Speed in one move. Waterfall is Gyarados's main STAB move, hitting Fire- and Ground-type Pokemon such as Chandelure and Mamoswine super effectively. Bounce is the only good Flying-type STAB Gyarados has access to. It gives Gyarados the ability to hit Grass-types, such as Chesnaught, as well as hitting Pokemon with Water immunities, such as Toxicroak, hard; however, it is requires two turns, which can allow the opponent to just switch to their Gyarados check. Earthquake provides Gyarados with a super effective move against Pokemon that typically can check it such as Empoleon and Heliolisk. Double-Edge has decent neutral coverage and hits as hard as Waterfall without requiring a charge turn like Bounce, but it leaves Gyarados walled by Empoleon and Jellicent. Stone Edge allows Gyarados to eliminate opposing Zapdos that try to OHKO Gyarados with their STAB moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Gyarados to outspeed positive-natured base 80s such as Gardevoir as well as faster Pokemon such as Mega Beedrill at +1. Lum Berry is the optimal choice to prevent status from crippling Gyarados, while Life Orb can be nice to provide Gyarados with more initial power but leaves it susceptible to status and being worn down quicker. Charti Berry is also a nice option to allow Gyarados to tank a Stone Edge from Mega Aerodactyl, which outspeeds it at +1, and proceed to finish it off with a STAB Waterfall.

Usage Tips
========

Gyarados shouldn't be coming in until late-game when walls have been weakened or status users have been gotten rid of should it not carry a Lum Berry. Most of its checks don't have to be gone, but rather weakened, thanks to this set running more than one coverage move. The Stealth Rock weakness also means it can't pivot as easily as it wants to despite being a nice check to Mamoswine and Infernape. If Gyarados lacks Lum Berry, it should avoid status at all costs, as all three statuses can cause it problems.

Team Options
========

Mamoswine is a nice partner, as it provides an Electric immunity and can weaken a lot of Gyarados's checks, giving it an easier time setting up. Grass-types such as Whimsicott and Shaymin are even more important for this set, as they can break down bulky Water-types that can cripple Gyarados with a Scald burn, while Gyarados can use special walls to set up and overpower the opposing team. Healing Wish users such as Gardevoir can allow Gyarados to play more aggressively, as it can potentially set up and sweep again. Entry hazard support from Cobalion, Forretress, and Swampert can be really helpful in aiding in a Gyarados sweep. Forretress can also provide entry hazard removal to get rid of Stealth Rock and a slow Volt Switch to bring Gyarados in safely.

[SET]
name: Come At Me, Mamo! (Defensive)
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 4: Roar / Toxic
nature: Impish
evs: 216 HP / 184 Def / 52 SpD / 48 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rest + Sleep Talk gives Gyarados a form of recovery that can also rid it of status and allows it to continuously check the plethora of physical threats this set is meant to check such as Infernape, Mamoswine, Entei, and Cobalion. Waterfall hits super effectively the Fire- and Ground-types that Gyarados tends to switch into. Roar allows Gyarados to phaze certain setup sweepers such as Cobalion, Suicune, and Reuniclus. Toxic gives Gyarados an option to cripple bulky Water- and Grass-types such as Suicune, Swampert, and Tangrowth, which can comfortably take Gyarados's Water-type STAB. Thunder Wave is another viable option over Toxic to give the team a form of speed control, and Gyarados's access to STAB Waterfall means Gyarados can paraflinch fairly well. Scald, coupled with Roar, allows Gyarados to phaze while burning the foe, making it a very effective status spreader.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is the best item for Gyarados, as it gives it a form of passive recovery, allowing it to continue taking hits. An Impish nature further bolsters Gyarado's Defense stat. The EV spread maximizes Leftovers recovery, provides an extra point in Defense, and hits enough Speed to outspeed Crawdaunt. The remaining EVs are dumped into Special Defense to give Gyarados a much better chance of surviving Infernape's +2 Grass Knot after Stealth Rock with Leftovers. It also avoids the 2HKO from Adamant Life Orb Mamoswine after Stealth Rock with the given nature and Intimidate factored in. Rocky Helmet is also a nice option to punish U-turn users as well as getting chip damage on the foes if they try to use Knock Off against Gyarados. This particular set works well on entry hazard-stacking teams, as Roar can gain a ton of chip damage on the foes while potentially stopping any sweepers from setting up.

Usage Tips
========

Gyarados should pivot in on common physical threats such as Mamoswine, Cobalion, and Infernape, as its invested bulk and Intimidate allows it to take repeated hits. It must watch out for Stealth Rock, as that cuts into its bulk heavily, leaving it susceptible to being overpowered.

Team Options
========

Entry hazards from the likes of Forretress, Swampert, and Roserade complement this set very nicely, as they allow Gyarados to rack up chip damage via Roar. Forretress can also provide entry hazard removal, which aids Gyarados's longevity, as Stealth Rock chips away 25% of its HP every time it switches in. However, most Defoggers such as Zapdos and Empoleon stack weaknesses with Gyarados, making it difficult to keep entry hazards off Gyarados's side of the field. Special walls such as Blissey and Florges are good partners, as they appreciate Gyarados's ability to take most physical attacks while they can tank most special attacks aimed at Gyarados. Krookodile and Cobalion can be really helpful in wearing down the opposing team, as they can provide Stealth Rock support. Ground-types such as Swampert and Nidoqueen resist Rock-type moves and are immune to Electric. Nidoqueen in particular is really nice, as it can provide power and Stealth Rock support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Moxie is a really nice option on the offensive set for Gyarados, as it can help it muscle more easily past it checks. Power Herb is a decent item to use, as it can get around the charge turn on Bounce one time to make sure to OHKO bulky Grass-types. However, Gyarados would sorely miss Leftovers's recovery or Life Orb's power boost, and it doesn't guarantee that Gyarados will get rid of the bulky Grass-types. Crunch is a nice coverage option to get around bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Reuniclus. Rest + Chesto Berry gives Gyarados a one-time recovery move after setting up, allowing it to boost and get rid of crippling status in one fell swoop.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Chesnaught can check Gyarados if it happens to have Spiky Shield to negate Bounce and a Grass-type STAB move to prevent Gyarados from setting up in its face. Roar does this as well by phazing Gyarados. Porygon2 can fully counter Gyarados with Discharge and Thunderbolt, as the former can cripple it while the latter is an OHKO. Zapdos can hard check Gyarados, as it has STAB Thunderbolt as well as being able to effectively run a physically defensive set.

**Faster Pokemon**: Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Salamence outspeed Gyarados at +1 and can KO or cripple it.

**Electric-types**: Heliolisk, Mega Ampharos, and Zapdos can all tank Gyarados's unboosted attacks and proceed to OHKO back with their STAB moves, as Gyarados is 4x weak to them. They must, however, watch out for Gyarados's coverage, as it can hit them super effectively, in the former two's case with Earthquake and in the latter's case with Stone Edge.

**Bulky Water-types**: Suicune and Empoleon can tank both of Gyarados's STAB moves and can proceed to phaze it with Roar; however, Empoleon must watch out for a boosted Earthquake should it lack Shuca Berry. Milotic also gets a special mention, as it can stall out Bounce and Dragon Dance with Haze and access to reliable recovery.

**Prankster Pokemon**: Whimsicott can Encore Gyarados into Dragon Dance and gain momentum via U-turn, while Sableye can burn Gyarados, rendering it useless if its Lum Berry has been consumed or it doesn't have Lum Berry.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Idk how this stuff works but for FatGyara I suggest slashing Roar instead of Bounce cause without DD, there isn't really a point of bouncing. Roar prevents you from being fodder to stuff like Cobalion/Suicune/Reuni/Mence etc and with RestTalk you can draw fast Roars :).

I'd also list fat Grasses with Protect as a check but again, idk how this works and you probably would do that anyway lol

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Moves

Bounce should mention that it is a two turn move meaning the opponent can just switch out without any regards of being out predicted.

Usage Tips

Maybe mention (if you aren't using Lum) that gyara shpuld avoid status at almost any cost. Really anything stops it in place from doing what it wants to do.

Defensive

I am clueless about this set in uu, maybe in team options say why you would want to use it over something like Swampert? They both have a four times weakness but Gyarados' is more easilly exploited than Swampert's (ex. Tbolt)

it looks good tho

Reactions: nv
I feel like Chesnaught should be added as a potential check to Gyara if it carries Waterfall/Bounce, mostly because if Bounce is two-turn it can likely Spiky Shield on it. Not switching in anytime soon though.

Not QC, just a suggestion.

Edit: Come to think of it, Roarcune can just phase it out if unboosted too, and bulky waters are hell to deal with since it can rarely OHKO any of them unless it's at around +4 for some of the less bulky ones.

Maybe electric types can be added in team options so they can neuter those damned water types.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK haven't checked anything in a while so...

In the Overview I'd definitely mention how Gyarados is one of the tier's most threatening setup sweepers due to a combination of having access to DD, high base Attack, decent STABs, good coverage options and nice support options that help it sweep like Sub and Taunt. You mentioned parts of this but honestly I feel mentioning Gyarados's main role in the tier rn is mandatory in Overview.

For the first set, I'd definitely mention LO in Set Details as an option since it's pretty cool on 3 Atk sets but generally Lum is probably better on those, still worth a mention in my opinion. TO could definitely be expanded a bit with stuff like wallbreakers, entry hazard removal, pivots, and other setup sweepers since a lot of them have similar C&C with Gyarados so Gyarados / it's partner can wear those 'mons down for the other to sweep.

Inexperienced with the second set so not going to comment on that much except hazard removal again in TO. Actually you should probably expand on why this is worth using over the million other bulky Waters in the tier in Set Details.

Charti Berry could probably also be mentioned in OO, and maybe LO too over being mentioned in the first set.

OK C&C. Physically bulky walls should probably be a section tbh since a lot of themd eal with Gyara differently; Chesnaught can more or less beat it with Spiky Shield, P2 beats it with Discharge / TBolt, Suicune can phaze / doesn't take much damage from Bounce, Zapdos outright hard checks most variants. Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf users could probably be a section (named better prob) since they can outspeed Gyara at +1 and KO it, making them good checks.

Tell me when all of this is done and if I don't have anything more to say by then I'll give you 1/3.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey NV, everything's looking pretty good from what I saw so I'm just gonna drop a few notes of stuff to be included.
-Moxie 100% needs an OO mention, especially since you mention it in the overview. Moxie works with both standard dd sets and even combined with restochesto to fun effect.
-Twave can probably get a set comments mention in phys def instead of in oo since twave is such a stupid move.
-Fat phys def mons like Truth mentioned are definitely good answers. P2, Umbreon, etc are good examples.
-I also don't think bulky waters are particularly necessary to weaken, especially with sub dd since thats kind of the point of sub dd but I digress.
-The EV Spread for phys def gyara seems kinda specific and hitting a jump point when you still have a spare 50 or so evs doesn't really scream efficiency to me.
-Mention hazard removal in team options for the second set since it needs it to reliably check stuff like nape and such.
-Roar should be first slash on second set too since youre not beating cobal without it probably. Toxics definitely cool but I'd say roar is better and from there mention some good spikers as partners.

I think Bounce should be slashed with Stone Edge and Earthquake in the main set. I've been running variations of Dragon Dance/Substitute/Waterfall/Coverage, and I've found these three coverage options all work very nicely and are easily interchangeable. You lose surprisingly little by giving up your flying STAB, and it's difficult for an opponent to predict exactly which pokemon will give your specific set trouble. I personally find Stone Edge the best of the three. It's the least common of Gyarados' coverage options by a mile (Bounce 45%, Earthquake 45%, Ice Fang 23%, Crunch 8%, Double-Edge 6%, Stone Edge 5% - source) so it's seldom anticipated and can reliably lure in the likes of Zapdos. Here are the pros and cons I've found to each of these coverage options:

Pros
+ lets you beat grass-types that don't run protect, notably Mega Sceptile and Tangrowth
+ 2HKO's Mega Blastoise at +1, which the other coverage moves don't do
+ guarantees OHKO's against bulkier fighting types like Machamp or Heracross, which can live a +1 Waterfall
+ fish for paralysis

Cons
- two-turn move leaves you very vulnerable
- countered by Heliolisk
- stopped cold by Protect

Pros
+ beats Salamence much more easily
+ lures and beats Zapdos
+ lets it check opposing Gyarados
+ OHKO's Cloyster after rocks at +1 (see my C&C comments below)
+ OHKO's Crobat after rocks at +1 (see my C&C comments below)

Cons
- countered by Toxicroak
- Struggles with bulky grass types

Pros
+ beats Mega Ampharos, though you likely need prior damage
+ beats non-Shuca Empoleon
+ higher accuracy and PP than the other coverage options

Cons
- walled by pretty much every grass type
- countered by Hydreigon and Salamence

A few notes for C&C

* Crobat's 248 HP spread is bulky enough to live most +1 attacks after rocks, it hits through substitutes thanks to infiltrator, and an uninvested Brave Bird does about 50%. It's a surprisingly good emergency check/revenge killer.
* Cloyster can easily set up on Gyarados. Even after rocks, nothing short of a +1 Stone Edge can KO Cloyster. Jolly Cloyster outspeeds Adamant Gyarados, and +2 Rock Blast OHKO's straight through a substitute.
* Chesnaught is kinda weird, since it straddles the boundary between counter and setup fodder. Although Gyarados can't do anything to it, the standard Chesnaught set can't do anything back either so Gyarados can simply set up to +6 in its face. Running Wood Hammer, Seed Bomb, Roar, or Taunt solves this issue but most Chesnaught sets don't use any of these moves.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OK haven't checked anything in a while so...

In the Overview I'd definitely mention how Gyarados is one of the tier's most threatening setup sweepers due to a combination of having access to DD, high base Attack, decent STABs, good coverage options and nice support options that help it sweep like Sub and Taunt. You mentioned parts of this but honestly I feel mentioning Gyarados's main role in the tier rn is mandatory in Overview.

For the first set, I'd definitely mention LO in Set Details as an option since it's pretty cool on 3 Atk sets but generally Lum is probably better on those, still worth a mention in my opinion. TO could definitely be expanded a bit with stuff like wallbreakers, entry hazard removal, pivots, and other setup sweepers since a lot of them have similar C&C with Gyarados so Gyarados / it's partner can wear those 'mons down for the other to sweep.

Inexperienced with the second set so not going to comment on that much except hazard removal again in TO. Actually you should probably expand on why this is worth using over the million other bulky Waters in the tier in Set Details.

Charti Berry could probably also be mentioned in OO, and maybe LO too over being mentioned in the first set.

OK C&C. Physically bulky walls should probably be a section tbh since a lot of themd eal with Gyara differently; Chesnaught can more or less beat it with Spiky Shield, P2 beats it with Discharge / TBolt, Suicune can phaze / doesn't take much damage from Bounce, Zapdos outright hard checks most variants. Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf users could probably be a section (named better prob) since they can outspeed Gyara at +1 and KO it, making them good checks.

Tell me when all of this is done and if I don't have anything more to say by then I'll give you 1/3.
Hey NV, everything's looking pretty good from what I saw so I'm just gonna drop a few notes of stuff to be included.
-Moxie 100% needs an OO mention, especially since you mention it in the overview. Moxie works with both standard dd sets and even combined with restochesto to fun effect.
-Twave can probably get a set comments mention in phys def instead of in oo since twave is such a stupid move.
-Fat phys def mons like Truth mentioned are definitely good answers. P2, Umbreon, etc are good examples.
-I also don't think bulky waters are particularly necessary to weaken, especially with sub dd since thats kind of the point of sub dd but I digress.
-The EV Spread for phys def gyara seems kinda specific and hitting a jump point when you still have a spare 50 or so evs doesn't really scream efficiency to me.
-Mention hazard removal in team options for the second set since it needs it to reliably check stuff like nape and such.
-Roar should be first slash on second set too since youre not beating cobal without it probably. Toxics definitely cool but I'd say roar is better and from there mention some good spikers as partners.
Implemented these as well as a few from the rest of you guys n_n

Rest + Chesto Berry should definitely be in here somewhere, probably in OO. Scarf can be there too.

As far as I can tell, the two best DD sets are Lefties + Sub + Bounce, OR Lum/LO + two coverage moves (EQ + Double Edge or Stone Edge), so the moves for DD should reflect that. Stone Edge is very specifically for Zapdos and other Gyarados, but I would think that Double Edge is more useful to hit Water-types like Slowking and Mega Blastoise harder. So yeah, change the slashes and stuff for that. Toxic Spikes definitely need to be in Team Options as it punishes most of its counters, especially with Sub and possible flinch.

Go ahead and move the Attack EVs into SpDef for defensive Gyara, as that gives you a much better chance at surviving Infernape's +2 Grass Knot after SR + Leftovers recovery.

In C&C, Chesnaught doesn't need Taunt to wall Gyara, only Spiky Shield and a Grass move (or Roar). Milotic needs to be specifically mentioned since it can stall out Bounce and DD with Haze. Porygon2 full on counters Gyarados with Thunerbolt as well.

1/3 that stuff.

nv

The Lost Age
Rest + Chesto Berry should definitely be in here somewhere, probably in OO. Scarf can be there too.

As far as I can tell, the two best DD sets are Lefties + Sub + Bounce, OR Lum/LO + two coverage moves (EQ + Double Edge or Stone Edge), so the moves for DD should reflect that. Stone Edge is very specifically for Zapdos and other Gyarados, but I would think that Double Edge is more useful to hit Water-types like Slowking and Mega Blastoise harder. So yeah, change the slashes and stuff for that. Toxic Spikes definitely need to be in Team Options as it punishes most of its counters, especially with Sub and possible flinch.

Go ahead and move the Attack EVs into SpDef for defensive Gyara, as that gives you a much better chance at surviving Infernape's +2 Grass Knot after SR + Leftovers recovery.

In C&C, Chesnaught doesn't need Taunt to wall Gyara, only Spiky Shield and a Grass move (or Roar). Milotic needs to be specifically mentioned since it can stall out Bounce and DD with Haze. Porygon2 full on counters Gyarados with Thunerbolt as well.

1/3 that stuff.
Implemented. Now looking for that second check, n_n

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Don't mention Chesnaught as a potencial Bounce target‚ since most should carry Spiky Shield anyway.

Toxicroak and Heliolisk are Water immunities‚ not resists. You still get the point across nicely‚ but it irks me a little nonetheless.

Taunt's main drawback is that it doesn't protect you from Scald burns. Mention that.

Scald + Roar and Rocky Helmet are definitely worth mentioning in the 2nd set. The latter allows you to punish mindless U-turn spam and Knock Off users (once). Its one of my favorite Krook switch ins on fat teams. I'd also give hazard stacking a bigger mention. Clicking Roar with SR and Spikes on the field can be quite satisfying (and obviously effective)

I wouldn't mention Scarf Gyara in OO. It was acceptable in BW2 due to permanent Rain‚ which allowed it to snowball w/ Moxie a lot more often. ORAS UU is stacked with amazing Water resists and there is no rain‚ making it impossible for it to get rolling‚ and as a consequence‚ completely outclassed by DD.

C&C is nice. Kudos for the Sableye mention (r.i.p. Christo)

Solid writeup overall. 3/3

nv

The Lost Age
Don't mention Chesnaught as a potencial Bounce target‚ since most should carry Spiky Shield anyway.

Toxicroak and Heliolisk are Water immunities‚ not resists. You still get the point across nicely‚ but it irks me a little nonetheless.

Taunt's main drawback is that it doesn't protect you from Scald burns. Mention that.

Scald + Roar and Rocky Helmet are definitely worth mentioning in the 2nd set. The latter allows you to punish mindless U-turn spam and Knock Off users (once). Its one of my favorite Krook switch ins on fat teams. I'd also give hazard stacking a bigger mention. Clicking Roar with SR and Spikes on the field can be quite satisfying (and obviously effective)

I wouldn't mention Scarf Gyara in OO. It was acceptable in BW2 due to permanent Rain‚ which allowed it to snowball w/ Moxie a lot more often. ORAS UU is stacked with amazing Water resists and there is no rain‚ making it impossible for it to get rolling‚ and as a consequence‚ completely outclassed by DD.

C&C is nice. Kudos for the Sableye mention (r.i.p. Christo)

Solid writeup overall. 3/3
Implemented. Moving this into GP. :)

nv

The Lost Age
Ok I updated this with the new set and going to need a 4th QC check to make sure everything is in line with this new set. Tagging Hogg since he was the one who initially brought up the split

Not specific to this analysis, but what's the actual policy about giving sets such informal and non-informative names? Seems really odd that these analyses are otherwise so professionally done and then you get a silly name as the title.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Not specific to this analysis, but what's the actual policy about giving sets such informal and non-informative names? Seems really odd that these analyses are otherwise so professionally done and then you get a silly name as the title.
I think it's just up to preference, but I'll dig around to see if I can find it for you.
The actual policy is that the set has to have a serious name in some way, because the set name should be able to tell the reader what the set actually does. Funny names are /acceptable/ as long as there's a serious name in parentheses as well. Pretty much this
The standard name should still be in parentheses if they insist on using a funny name

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
  • I'd either move Charti Berry from Other Options to the set details of the DD + 3 Attacks set, or at least mention that it is primarily useful on the offensive set if you keep it in OO. That's really the only set it is applicable on, as SubDD can't afford to give up the passive healing of Lefties, and defensive Gyara doesn't want a brief one-time resist berry. I'd still keep Lum/LO as the only slashes, but just reference it.
  • I'd reference that SubDD allows you to set up on bulky Waters lacking Roar, such as Alomomola and Crocune, as that's one of the big advantages to the set.
  • Re:its advantages, Double-Edge has decent neutral coverage (Water + Normal only misses Empoleon/Jelly in UU) while also hitting as hard as Waterfall, without requiring the charge turn of Bounce. I think that deserves a mention.
  • 88 HP EVs on the SubDD set ensure that your Sub is never broken by Chesnaught's Seed Bomb, which might be relevant enough to put 88 HP/168 Atk/252+ Speed as an alternate EV spread for the set.
Everything else looks good. Sorry to have thrown a wrench in the works, but with the above implemented, I'd be happy giving QC 4/4.

Chesnaught normally runs Wood Hammer - at least it should, it's way more effective at beating Absol, Gatr, Gyara, pressuring Suicune and Tenta, etc - so I don't think the 88hp thing needs to be mentioned. Since most would carry Spiky Shield now, it's even less relevant. Otherwise I agree with all that.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
and that's another gyarados check done :')

Gyarados's please :[ nice read otherwise!

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados's all-around typing with great resistances to Fire, Ground, and Fighting allows it to check a plethora of common threats in UU such as Infernape and Mamoswine; however, a 4x weakness to Electric while also being weak to as well as a Stealth Rock weakness hinders both its defensive and offensive capabilities. Its decent offensive STAB moves in Waterfall and Bounce coupled with its coverage options and access to Dragon Dance make it an amazing setup sweeper with its access to Dragon Dance. However, despite having quite a few options, Gyarados has a hard time fitting all the coverage it needs to sweep. It has access to two incredible abilities, (AC) with Intimidate providing setup opportunities while and Moxie allows allowing Gyarados to snowball the opponent ("snowball out of control" or "snowball over the opposing team" or something, but this isn't really working) after netting an OHKO or two. One major downside for Gyarados, especially the defensive set, is its lack of reliable recovery outside of RestTalk, forcing it to rely on ("sit out" maybe, but not "rely on") sleep turns to continue dealing with the opponent.

[SET]
name: Splashin' Around (Substitute + Dragon Dance)
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Dragon Dance
move 4: Bounce / Earthquake

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Substitute gives Gyarados an immunity to status, (AC) which can cripple cut its sweep short. (or just "cripple it") Dragon Dance is the obligatory setup move, giving Gyarados sweeping potential after just one boost. Waterfall is Gyarados's main STAB move, hitting most of the tier for strong great neutral damage as well as hitting Fire- and Ground-type Pokemon (RC) such as Entei and Krookodile super effectively. Bounce is the best option Gyarados has for a Flying STAB move, but it still allows Gyarados to hit Grass-types, such as Roserade and Shaymin, as well as hitting Pokemon with Water immunities, such as Toxicroak and Heliolisk. However, since it is a two-turn move, the opponent can just switch (double space)out into something that can tank the hit. Earthquake can be is an option over Bounce that doesn't require to wait a turn before it hits and hits common switch-ins such as Empoleon and Heliolisk.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Gyarados to outspeed positive-natured base 80s such as Chandelure and Mamoswine and OHKO them with its Water-type STAB move as well as outspeed Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedrill at +1. Leftovers is best used with Substitute, (AC) as it provides Gyarados with a form of passive recovery, allowing for more potential Substitutes. A Jolly nature allows Gyarados to outspeed positive natured base 80s such as Chandelure and Mamoswine as well as outspeeding Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedrill at +1.

Usage Tips
========

This set aims to set up on Water-types that happen to lack a phazing option such as Alomomola and CroCune. Gyarados is meant to pivot in and out early- to mid-game, using Intimidate to check physical threats such as Mamoswine and Infernape. It must be wary of Stealth Rock being on the field, (AC) as it chips 25% of Gyarados's HP every time it switches in. Gyarados shouldn't set up until mid- to or late-game (AH) when certain checks such as Empoleon and Zapdos are gone or worn down to the point of being OHKOed at +1. Gyarados should only be switching in on physical threats, (AC) as its Stealth Rock weakness and its lack of invested bulk investment makes make it hard to tank hits as well as it wants to. If Gyarados lacks Lum Berry, (Lum isn't mentioned anywhere though?) it should avoid status at all costs, (AC) as all three statuses can cause it problems.

Team Options
========

Ground types such as Krookodile, (AC) Swampert, and Nidoqueen can provide amazing defensive synergy, (AC) as they are immune to Electric and resistant to Rock. They both can set Stealth Rock as well, aiding in a Gyarados sweep. Grass-types such as Shaymin and Roserade can help break down bulky Water-types that take can cripple Gyarados with a Scald burn or force it out via Roar. Entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Salamence, Zapdos, and Forretress can remove Stealth Rock via Defog or Rapid Spin respectively, which severely hinders Gyarados's switchin opportunities to switch in. Other setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Cobalion or and Swords Dance Lucario can help Gyarados wear down each other's checks and counters, paving the way for either one to set up and sweep.

[SET]
name: Flying Sea Snake (Dragon Dance + 3 Three Attacks)
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Bounce / Earthquake
move 4: Earthquake / Double-Edge / Stone Edge
item: Lum Berry / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance is the foundation of this set, giving gives Gyarados a way to boost its Attack and Speed in one move. Waterfall is Gyarados's main STAB move, hitting Fire- and Ground-type Pokemon (RC) such as Chandelure and Mamoswine super effectively. Bounce is the only good Flying-type STAB Gyarados has access to. It gives Gyarados the ability to hit Grass-types, such as Chesnaught, as well as hitting Pokemon with Water immunities, such as Toxicroak, hard; however, it is requires two turns, (AC) which can allow the opponent to just switch into their Gyarados check. Earthquake provides Gyarados with a super effective move against Pokemon that typically can check it such as Empoleon and Heliolisk. Double-Edge has decent neutral coverage that and hits as hard as Waterfall without requiring a charge turn like Bounce, but it leaves Gyarados walled by Empoleon and Jellicent. Stone Edge allows Gyarados to lure eliminate opposing Zapdos that try to OHKO Gyarados with its their STAB moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Gyarados to outspeed positive-natured base 80s such as Gardevoir as well as faster Pokemon such as Mega Beedrill at +1. Lum Berry is the optimal choice to avoid prevent status from crippling Gyarados, (AC) while Life Orb can be nice to provide Gyarados with more initial power (RC) but leaves Gyarados it susceptible to status and being worn down quicker. Charti Berry is also a nice option to allow Gyarados to tank a Stone Edge from Aerodactyl, (Mega?) which outspeeds it at +1, and proceed to finish it off with a STAB Waterfall.

Usage Tips
========

Gyarados shouldn't be coming in until late-game (AH) when walls have been weakened or status users have been gotten rid of should it not carry a Lum Berry. Most of its checks don't have to be gone, but rather weakened, (AC) thanks to this set running more than one coverage move. The Stealth Rock weakness also means it can't pivot as easily as it wants to despite being a nice check to Mamoswine and Infernape.

Team Options
========

Mamoswine is a nice partner, (AC) as it provides an Electric immunity and can weaken a lot of Gyarados's checks, giving it an easier time setting up. Grass-types such as Whimsicott and Shaymin are even more important for this set, (AC) as they can break down bulky Water-types take that can cripple Gyarados with a Scald burn, (AC) while Gyarados can use special walls to set up and overpower the opponent opposing team. Healing Wish users such as Gardevoir can allow Gyarados to play more aggressively, (AC) as it can potentially set(space)up and sweep again potentially. Entry hazard support from Cobalion, Forretress, and Swampert can be really helpful in aiding in a Gyarados sweep. Forretress can also provide entry hazard removal to get rid of Stealth Rock and a slow Volt Switch to bring Gyarados in safely.

[SET]
name: Come At Me, Mamo! (Defensive)
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 4: Roar / Toxic
nature: Impish
evs: 216 HP / 184 Def / 52 SpD / 48 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rest + Sleep Talk gives Gyarados a form of recovery that can also rid itself of status and allow it to continuously check the plethora of physical threats this set is meant to check such as Infernape, Mamoswine, Entei, and Cobalion, and more. Waterfall is a reliable STAB move that hits the Fire- and Ground-types super effectively that Gyarados tends to switch into. Toxic gives Gyarados an option to cripple bulky Water- and Grass-types such as Suicune, Swampert, and Tangrowth, (AC) as they which can comfortably take Gyarados' Water-type STAB. Roar is an option over Toxic, (AC) as it allows Gyarados to phaze out certain setup sweepers such as Cobalion, Suicune, and Reuniclus. Thunder Wave is another viable option over Toxic to give the team a form of speed control, (AC) and Gyarados's access to STAB Waterfall means Gyarados can paraflinch fairly well. Scald, coupled with Roar, allows Gyarados to phaze while burning the opponent, making it a very effective status spreader.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is the best item for Gyarados, (AC) as it gives it a form of passive recovery, allowing it to continue taking hits. An Impish nature further bolsters Gyarados's Defense stat. (makes more sense to discuss the nature here than to do so after you mention a couple other things that it does) The EV spread hits a Leftovers number, a jump point in Defense, enough Speed to outspeed Crawdaunt, (puke, so much technical terms that beginners don't understand... how about "maximizes Leftovers recovery, provides an extra point in Defense, and hits enough Speed to etc etc"?) and the rest is dumped into Special Defense, which gives you to give Gyarados a much better chance of surviving Infernape's +2 Grass Knot after Stealth Rock with Leftovers. It also avoids the 2HKO from Adamant Life Orb Mamoswine after Stealth Rock with Intimidate factored in with the provided nature. Rocky Helmet is also a nice option to punish U-turn users as well as getting chip damage on the opponent if they try to use Knock Off against Gyarados. An Impish nature further bolsters Gyarado's Defense stat. This particular set works well on entry hazard-stacking (AH) teams, (AC) as Roar can gain a ton of chip damage on the opponent while potentially stopping any sweepers from setting up.

Usage Tips
========

Gyarados should pivot in on common physical threats such as Mamoswine, Cobalion, and Infernape, (AC) as its invested bulk and Intimidate allows it to take repeated hits. It must watch out for Stealth Rock, (AC) as that cuts into its bulk heavily, leaving it susceptible to being overpowered.

Team Options
========

Entry hazards from the likes of Forretress, Swampert, and Roserade benefit this set very nicely, (AC) as it allows they allow Gyarados to rack up chip damage via Roar. Forretress can also provide entry hazard removal, (AC) which aids Gyarados's longevity, (AC) as Stealth Rock chips away 25% of its HP every time it switches in. However, most Defoggers such as Zapdos and Empoleon stack weaknesses with Gyarados, making it difficult to keep entry (RP) hazards off Gyarados' side of the field. Special walls such as Blissey and Florges are good partners, (AC) as they appreciate Gyarados's physical bulk to take on most physical attacks while they can tank most special attacks aimed at Gyarados. Krookodile and Cobalion can be really helpful in wearing down the opponent opposing team, (AC) as they can provide Stealth Rock support. Ground-types (AH) such as Swampert and Nidoqueen are really good as they resist Rock-type moves and are immune to Electric. Nidoqueen in particular is really nice, (AC) as it can provide power and Stealth Rock support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Moxie is a really nice option on the offensive set for Gyarados, (AC) as it can help it muscle past it checks. Power Herb is an ok decent item to use, (AC) on Gyarados as it can get around the charge turn on Bounce one time to make sure to OHKO those bulky Grass-types. However, Gyarados would sorely miss Leftovers's recovery or Life Orb's power boost, (AC) and it doesn't guarantee that Gyarados will get rid of the bulk Grass-types. Crunch is a nice coverage option to get around bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Reuniclus. Rest + Chesto Berry gives Gyarados a one-time recovery move after setting up, allowing it to boost and get rid of crippling status in one fell swoop.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Physical Walls**: Chesnaught can check Gyarados if it happens to have Spiky Shield to negate Bounce and a Grass-type STAB move as Bounce can be negated and Grass STAB allows Chesnaught to prevent Gyarados from setting up in its face. Roar does this as well by phazing Gyarados out. P2 Porygon2 can fully counter Gyarados with Discharge and Thunderbolt, (AC) as the former can cripple it while the latter is an OHKO. Zapdos can hard check Gyarados, (AC) as it has STAB Thunderbolt as well as being able to effectively run a physically defensive set.

**Faster Pokemon**: Mega Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Salamence outspeed Gyarados at +1 and can KO or cripple it.

**Electric-types**: Heliolisk, Mega Ampharos, and Zapdos can all tank unboosted Gyarados's attacks if unboosted (dangler) and proceed to OHKO back with their STAB moves, (AC) as Gyarados is 4x weak to it them. They must, however, watch out for Gyarados's coverage, (AC) as it can hit them super effectively, (AC) in the two former two's case with Earthquake and in the latter's case with Stone Edge.

**Bulky Water-types**: Suicune and Empoleon can tank both of Gyarados's STAB moves and can proceed to phaze it out with Roar; however, Empoleon must watch out for a boosted Earthquake should it lack Shuca Berry. Milotic also gets a special mention, (AC) as it can stall out Bounce and DD Dragon Dance with Haze and access to reliable recovery.

**Prankster Pokemon**: Whimsicott can Encore Gyarados into Dragon Dance and gain momentum via U-turn, (AC) while Sableye can burn Gyarados, rendering it useless if its Lum Berry has been consumed or it doesn't have Lum Berry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)