1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gynecomastia

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by SMZ, Dec 10, 2010.

1. SMZ

SMZ

For a guy, I have a larger than "normal" breasts, so called man-boobs, or medically speaking gynecomastia.

Can't say it's the reason for my low self-esteem, but it's definitely a factor. I've been made fun of/sexually harassed in intermediate/high school, and even in my current life in college.

It just sucks, because when I look at myself in the mirror I feel disgusted by my own body mass (man-boobs + being chubby), sure I know many people experience this, but albeit I'm feeling this too.

So, do any of you guys have this condition as well/know some one(s) who has them, and what do you think/do about it in general?

EDIT: This thread is to share the experience with others who have it, and share thoughts, just to avoid confusion.
  2. tape-type

tape-type

Isn't it, like, entirely possible to get rid of it by... exercising? I don't plan to come off rude or anything, but... it's not cancer or something.

I can see it's not fair some people get away with not having to do crap and still be thin and eat what they want, but people are different.

I honestly don't know what else to say?
  3. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

Actually Phantasia in this situation, though I'm sure it will reduce the size, exercising will not completely remove the 'man-boob'.

Can't say I know anyone with the condition though.
  4. SMZ

SMZ

I've heard that exercising removes them, but according to wikipedia

5. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck

Talk to a doctor... you know, someone who actually knows what to do. Not random people on a Pokémon forum.
  6. SMZ

SMZ

I'm not really asking for medical guidance, I'm more talking about the social impact, and how people who have it feel towards it.
  7. Alan

Alan

sure makes getting to 2nd base a lot easier
  8. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

On the social side, people will normally find something wrong with what you are no matter who you are. Doesn't matter if it's inept reading/ silly walking/ being overweight/ having a stupid laugh/ being tall/shot. Honestly deal with it and if people judge you by your genetics rather than personality then fuck them, seriously.
  9. THE_IRON_KENYAN

THE_IRON_KENYAN 0 vv 0
    is a Forum Moderator

This is probably the dumbest advice thread on this site
  10. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

If only this thread could be moved to Firebot, where the material is much more ripe... alas, we must instead discuss manboobery seriously.
  11. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I am not usually one to take these kinds of threads seriously, and would probably act the way most of you are acting towards this, but I actually have i guess what you would call a moderate case of this, so I can feel where you are coming from.

I am fairly in shape but I can't seem to work down the fat in my pecs as much as I would like... All the exercising I do to gain muscle there seems to be working, but there is still is a decent amount of tissue there that I am not sure will ever fade.

I get ripped for it a decent amount, but you just have to play it off. If it is people you know, crack a joke about how your mom has huge tits and "at least my daughter will too, i am doing it for her" or something. That's what I do and it works great, you just have to be able to laugh about it. If you can show people it doesn't bug you, then it wont bug them either (even if it does bug you, it fucking irks me to shit, you can't let people see that)

With people you don't know it becomes trickier cause they won't say anything, but really you just need to find a way to get confidence so that you can actually convince yourself it isn't an issue. I almost never think about it until someone brings it up so I am fine, just realize that it is something silly and doesn't have to detract from what you have to offer.

With that said, it is still definitely at least worth trying to work them off, as not only will it make them at least smaller, but working out in general and getting fit just might give you the confidence you need. Hope this helps.
  12. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Jackal, I freaking love your posts, especially in the social advice threads. Good man-- listen to the above.

With confidence (atleast outward) and a sense of humor, you can get over almost any personal issue socially.
  13. SMZ

SMZ

Sorry this was a bad idea, and thanks Jackal for the advice.
  14. ivar

ivar

i'm pretty sure you can get surgery to repair that.
  15. Chubbs

Chubbs

I wouldn't think so Ivar, as it is a glandular problem from my limeted knowledge of the subject, and they wouid just "regenerate", I think. Might be possible with brain surgery or some shit though, to reduce the activeness in the glands that cause the problem.
  16. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that someone named Chubbs posted in here?
  17. Chubbs

Chubbs

Well, at least someone noticed that. Whole reason I posed in the thread.
  18. Ballad

Ballad

me too man, me too. feelsbad
  19. VKCA

VKCA (Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)

Well a couple of years ago my dad got surgery on his pituitary gland (tumor there), and he was taking medication that they thought would induce gynecomastia (ie: estrogen to make sure the tumor didn't come back [evidently I don't know the specifics; it was a while ago]) but he never got it so no I have never known anybody who had it.

You don't look very chubby SMZ or Jackal from the photos I've seen of you.

Yeah just try and play it off like they are solid muscle or something.
  20. ivar

ivar

might be hard to play it off when they jiggle with every step you take

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)