1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Hail Stuff

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by atomicllamas, Aug 10, 2013.

1. atomicllamas

atomicllamas Pope Druddigon the 420th
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

Hi smogon RMT, I want to get some rates for my doubles team (it's my first one so go easy on me :p), as I have been trying to get into the new, official smogon meta game. This team has done pretty well for me (especially since I have never played doubles), going 29-1 and sitting at 62 on the ladder (and rising!).

So now I will get to the team.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This team is somewhere between a hail team and a good stuff team, which makes it pretty fun to play with.

[​IMG]

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 232 HP / 20 Def / 44 SAtk / 212 SDef
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Thunder Wave
    - Skill Swap
    - Protect
    - Psyshock

Standard Speed control Cressy with a twist, skill swap over helping hand is actually really cool, I can psuedo double intimidate with Landorus, re-summon hail after toed/tar/tales switch in, steal prankster from a dying Thundurus, and much more. My team is pretty slow, so thunderwave fixes that, and Cresselia's great bulk allows her to spread it around as much as possible. I have considered putting lefties over sitrus berry, but I don't know which is better.

[​IMG]

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Protect

Abomasnow summons hail, blizzards shit, and prevents steel types from being annoying with hp-fire. Giga drain also helps deal with Gastrodon, who can be pretty annoying for this team. I really don't like focus sash as has only been useful once, if someone has another suggestion I will gladly take it, I also don't know if I should run more speed or not.

[​IMG]

Kyurem-Black @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
    Naughty Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Dragon Claw
    - Protect
    - Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-Black is my hail abuser, and it is pretty awesome, as it is bulky enough to take some hits while also dealing back lots of damage with either dragon claw or blizzard. Protect on Kyurem-B may be the best move on this team, as opponents often double attack Kyu, thinking it is too large of a threat to their team. Fusion bolt allows Kyurem to deal with bulky waters and steel types looking to tank a blizzard or dragon claw.

[​IMG]

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 192 HP / 76 SAtk / 220 SDef / 20 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Thunder Wave
    - Taunt
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Standard bulky Thundurus, the EVs are to survive a Dragon Gem Latios Draco Meteor (I'm p sure). Thundurus also serves to paralyze the opposing team, allowing it's teammates, specifically Kyu-B to blast through the opposing team. Taunt screws over trick room teams and some other strategies, such as manual sun. Thunderbolt and HP Ice have pretty good coverage, as most people know, and even with such little investment, Thundurus still hits decently hard. In many games, Thundurus is MVP, so this one I probably won't change.

[​IMG]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Protect

Landorus-T is my only dedicated physical attacker, and fits really well on this team, as Cressy, Rotom, and Thundurus are all floating. Intimidate is pretty much mandatory in doubles, and it makes physical attackers almost useless against my entire team, given how bulky it is. U-turn gains momentum, and is almost as useful in doubles as it is in singles, while the other two moves are spread moves with edge-quake coverage. The yache berry allows Landy to survive icy winds and ice beams from random support mons with ease.

[​IMG]

Rotom-Heat @ Fire Gem
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Overheat
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect
    - Thunder Wave

Rotom-Heat is often overshadowed by it's washing machine counterpart, even in doubles, but rotom-heat has really good synergy with my team and deals with sun teams far better than wash ever could. Fire Gem Rotom-Heat hits like a tank, OHKOing many things in the tier. Even after the special drop, Rotom-Heat still retains utility with thunderwave, aiding to my speed control, and screwing with faster opponents. I'm not sold on fire gem, is white herb even worth it though?

Synergy/Strategy:

Landy-T and Thundurus usually lead, giving me intimidate and a priority taunt, while also having great coverage and the ability to start spreading paralysis early, but Cresselia and Thundurus or Cresselia and Rotom are also good lead combinations. As stated earlier, there are a lot of floaters on my team to ignore lando's e-quake. I usually try to paralyze as many things as possible, early game with Thundurus, and mid-game with Rotom and Cressy, before sending in Abomasnow to activate hail. And Kyu is almost always the last mon in. There is probably more to say, but I am tired so maybe I will edit this later.

Import (open)

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
    EVs: 232 HP / 20 Def / 44 SAtk / 212 SDef
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Thunder Wave
    - Skill Swap
    - Protect
    - Psyshock

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
    Naughty Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Dragon Claw
    - Protect
    - Fusion Bolt

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 192 HP / 76 SAtk / 220 SDef / 20 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Thunder Wave
    - Taunt
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Fire Gem
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Overheat
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect
    - Thunder Wave

Replay vs a good team (the best I've met on the ladder): http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-44156784
    Lolk and scotti like this.
  2. The Leprechaun

The Leprechaun

Fairly good team here by I have a couple of pointers. Firstly, sand does pretty fantastically against this team. You have 4 pokes weak to rock slide with no resistances to it. As well as that, you have massive over-reliance on thunder wave, meaning the several ground types which are sand staples (Landorus, garchomp, excadrill etc) have a free ride through your team. For this reason I'd suggest Hitmontop --> Landorus and on Cress Icy Wind --> Thunder Wave. Hitmontop gives you intimidate as lando does but also gives fake out allowing you free thunder wave on turn 1 as you mentioned. Top has a rock resist you desperately need as well as wide guard which allows you to block rock slides on other pokes you use.

Another suggestion I have is change kyu-b for regular kyu. This is less important but regular kyurem has a better spa stat allowing more powerful blizz spam. This does make it harder to hit waters but dragon pulse hits like a truck coming from it and you already have abomasnow for grass coverage. A definite change for kyu-b would be Haban Berry. Dragons and fighters threaten kyu the most but kyu can easily ohko most dragons. By giving it a Haban berry, opposing dragons are easily dealt with. Chople berry is a great option as well.

Sorry if this is hard to read or badly written, I did it on my iPod on a train.
  3. atomicllamas

atomicllamas Pope Druddigon the 420th
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

Hey thanks for the quadruple rate @The Leprechaun, I really appreciate it and will definitely try these out, do you have a recommended set/spread for Hitmontop, as I am sure there is an optimal one for doubles. I will definitely use icy wind Cress, and try out Kyurem. :)
  4. youngjake93

youngjake93

Your Rotom-H is somewhat underwhelming, it doesn't hit that hard and doesn't provide much of anything outside of an extra Thunder Wave user. Physical Victini can provide more powerful fire and electric options while giving you a fighting resist for better synergy(especially if you swap LandoT for Top). Plus Bolt Strike can paralyze.
    Another option for a fire type is Chandelure. With speed control or a scarf, it provides a nice win condition due to Heat Wave and Shadow Ball annihalating things. Non-Gem Overheat is almost as powerful as Rotom-H's and you could even run fire gem if you want overkill. It also has a fighting immunity for hail synergy.
    Volcarona is a high-tiered option that can provide utility with Rage Powder or a win condition with Quiver Dance. You're weak to rock either way, so it doesn't make much difference just overload against rock attack users.
    Lastly, Heatran is an obvious choice for a hail team by double resisting blizzard and having good synergy with Abamosnow outside of the fighting weakness. You are also already running Skill Swap Cress which was popularized alongside Heatran.
  5. The Leprechaun

The Leprechaun

Lol no problem. Smogon Doubles analyses are actually just going up on smogon and i think Top was the first analysis to go up, written by my buddy Laga. Just check that out for a good spread.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)