ORAS OU Hail to the King: Slaking Offense (1500+)

Ice Cream Cake or Cake-flavored Ice Cream?

• Ice Cream Cake

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Cake-flavored Ice Cream

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Both, but only half portion of each.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I'm diabetic.

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

Overview

I started off with a nice Normal spam core I made, Slaking and Mega Lopunny. Slaking takes care of the slower and bulkier threats while Mega Lopunny beats down the fast and squishy mons. Both destroy each other's checks and overwhelm Pokemon that check both.

Normal Spam obviously has a fighting weakness. And with Birdspam running everywhere and bulky waters being needed on nearly every team now due to the meta, Slowbro was an instant choice. Keldeo and Pokemon faster than Lopunny give my team trouble, so it's skyhigh physical bulk and access to Thunder Wave make it a near-perfect teammate.

I needed hazard clearance and hazard setting, since Normal Spam, particularly Slaking, gets whittled down surprisingly quickly. Hazards would also net crucial KOs for Normal Spam. To fulfill both at the same time while only taking up one team slot is Excadrill.

I had a glaring weakness against Mega Venusaur, and I needed a ground immunity. Furthermore, a powerful pivot would be very helpful, bringing in Slaking and others to net some kills. Torn-T was the perfect choice for this, combining with Slowbro to form a Regenerator core.

I was vulnerable to steels that aren't affected or vulnerable to Excadrill's EQ, like Scizor, Skarmory, and most notably Mega Scizor. Will-o-Wisp and TWave are also big threats to Normal Spam, completely shutting them down. Rotom-H was then added to the team because of it's typing, it's ground immunity and pairs with Torn-T to form a VoltTurn core. The team is complete.

In-Depth Analysis

Kappa Pride (Slaking) @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Retaliate
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch

Slaking is my ultra-powerful wallbreaker and revengekiller. No team can be prepared for a Choice Band Max invested Adamant 160 base STAB Double Edge, as it 2HKOs EVERYTHING that does not resist after rocks. At the price of recoil, this punches holes in teams like a drill. Choice Band makes Slaking's already crazy strength even higher for them sexy 2HKOs. Double-Edge is a wrecking ball, 'nuff said. Retaliate allows Slaking to function as a potent revengekiller, dealing more damage than Double-Edge with NO RECOIL after coming in after a team mate faints. Play Rough fucks up Sableye, and allows Slaking to hit ghosts while at the same time annihilates dragons and slower and bulkier fighting types against it. Fire Punch blows up all the steel types thinking they can switch into the King, providing nice coverage. The EVs are a protein shake to Slaking and make it as powerful and fast as possible, to hit hard and outspeed the bulky mons.

Fast and Furious (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

To take down the faster threats and ghosts Slaking cannot touch, while at the same time overwhelm each other's checks and counters, the butter to Slaking's bread, Mega Lopunny. The name says it all, with Mega Lopunny cracking down on the speedy threats with viciousness and mercilessness. Not even ghosts are safe with Lopunny's Scrappy ability pulverising them like a Ghostbuster on steroids. Fake Out gives Lopunny some priority and a safe Mega Evolution. Frustration over Return because of the rare Ditto, and they are the same thing anyways. Better safe than sorry. High Jump Kick is a wallbreaking STAB that hits like a truck taped on a train, breaking down even mons that resist. Ice Punch provides coverage against flying and bulky grounds, most notably Landorus-T, Gliscor and Garchomp. The EVs are standard, to boost Lopunny's speed and power to the max.

Retardando (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

As my physical wall, yellow magician (TWave for you! TWave for YOU!), and bulky water, it's Slowbro. Leftovers are to increase Slowbro's overall bulk with passive recovery, and coupled with Regenerator and Slack Off, ensure it's longevity. Scald is the chosen STAB, and easily spammable with the burn chance. Psyshock takes down Keldeo and other fighting types, which assist the Normal Spam core well. Thunder Wave, while yellow, is black magic for the opponent, since it brings those fast threats in Slaking's range. Plus, it is much easier to deal with the enemy mon when it is slow and crippled. The EVs maximise Slowbro's physical bulk to take shots better.

Clown Crown (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Bulky Excadrill is a potent special tank, hazard setter and spinner, able to throw Stealth Rocks onto Magic Bouncers with Mold Breaker, while checking many common defoggers and hazard setters (Latias, Latios lacking Surf/HP Fire, Jirachi, etc). It's surprisingly fat, and has the blessed typing of Ground/Steel, having two immunities and eight resistances, twice as much as it's weaknesses. Stealth Rock is the hazard used to whittle down the opponent for Normal Spam to easily break them down. Rapid Spin takes the hazards away from our side, giving my team room to work. EQ and Iron Head are the chosen STABs, with EQ still hitting really hard while Iron Head is a fairykiller, something my team needs. The EVs make Excadrill as specially bulky as possible to take hits better.

Green Day (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

Torn-T is such a good Pokemon, and it supports my team well as a speedy yet bulky pivot. With Assault Vest and Regenerator, Torn-T's bulk and longevity reach surprisingly high levels, easily shrugging off attacks while hitting hard and fast. Hurricane is an obscenely powerful STAB, even without a boost, and the confusion chance that comes with it is pretty nifty too. Knock Off is for utility, effectively crippling whatever comes in since no Pokemon appreciates losing their items, some more than most (Choiced mons, tanks with Lefties, Chansey's Eviolite, etc). U-Turn is the main reason for this mon, switching it out quickly into one of my mons that effectively counter the enemy mon, keeping momentum and letting me control the pace of the battle. Superpower is to hit the steel types that resist Hurricane, as well as Chansey. The EVs make Torn-T as fast as possible, while giving enough SpAtk to OHKO Keldeo with Hurricane. The rest are dumped in HP for bulk.

Meme Machine (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Rounding off this team is Rotom-H, my slow and physically bulky pivot. While Torn-T is an amazing pivot, it's blessing of speed can prove to be a burden, as switching out first means the Pokemon switching in has to take a hit. With Rotom-H, however, that is not the case. It's relatively mediocre speed allows me to move last, so I can switch out and bring Slaking and co. in safely. Lefties is the chosen item to increase Rotom-H's longevity and bulk with passive recovery, as Pain Split is an unreliable form of recovery. It's typing and ability are blessings to this team, tanking Will-o-Wisps, TWaves easily while floating above any stray lead Lando-T's EQ to proceed to burn it. Overheat is a powerful STAB (it's the only one it can learn that's useful lol) that roasts the steels not vulnerable to Excadrill's EQ. Volt Switch is an electric U-Turn, 'nuff said. Pain Split, while unreliable, is Rotom-H's only form of recovery that doesn't completely render it useless after one use (looking at you Rest). Will-o-Wisp cripples any physical mon looking to 1v1 it, as well as effectively break down sturdy walls for Slaking and Lopunny to clean up, The EVs allow Rotom-H to hit 274 Speed, outspeeding Pokemon like Bisharp, Mega Heracross, Breloom, and pre-mega Metagross. 248 HP EVs make Rotom-H as bulky as possible while hitting an odd number to enable Rotom-H to switch into Stealth Rocks 4 times. The rest is dumped into defense.

Threatlist

I have no switchins to Weavile, usually meaning I have to sack a mon to bring out the faster Mega Lopunny. Knock Off hurts like a bitch.

Mega Alakazam outspeeds my entire team and runs over them fairly easily. The main way I deal with this is to TWave it with Slowbro after living a Shadow Ball. However, this means Slowbro has to be above 75% health. If Slowbro is below that or gone, I am forced to sack a mon to safely bring in Torn-T to tank a Psychic and hit back with a U-Turn or so.

/

My team can get manhandled by even normal Gyarados. After a setup, Slowbro can still counter the normal one but Mega Gyarados does a number on it with STAB Crunch. Slowbro has to be full health into order to live a Crunch for the TWave, so I have to play carefully, since normal Gyarados have Substitute to take a TWave. If Slowbro is DEAD, say your prayers.

Conclusion

That's the team, hope you enjoyed reading and always remember to Hail to the King!​
Kappa Pride (Slaking) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Retaliate
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch

Fast and Furious (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Retardando (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Clown Crown (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Green Day (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

Meme Machine (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice SovereignC2. I never knew this existed lol, Lop used to be Diggersby but my bro Alohan Agumon suggested this since I had trouble dealing with speedy pokes since we were building this team together. If anything, after testing this a bit more on ladder and dropping to 1400s, I revamped the team and changed it quite a bit, will edit but I need to go to bed. Thanks again for the rate.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Slaking is a really interesting threat in the OU tier. It has a devastating power, a really powerful STAB, amazing natural bulk and a really decent speed tier. The only thing that prevents it from being a top threat in the OU tier is its ability, Truant. Truant invites in set-up sweepers such as Bisharp, who is really threatening to your team because Rotom-H can be worn down quickly because of its Stealth Rock weakness.

>

A defensive Infernape counters Bisharp and Weavile, two really big threats to your team. It also helps Slaking a lot with luring Landorus-Ts and TankChomps and Will-O-Wisp them. I am not a really big fan of Rotom-H in general, its Stealth Rock weakness is a horrible disadvantage it has as a pivot.

I also suggest you to run speed on your Excadrill to outspeed speedier Rotom-W variants that try to outspeed Jolly Azumarill. Toxic is another interesting option that catches and wears down bulky ground types that try to often switch into Slaking's moves and potentialy hurt it with their Rocky Helmet, but I guess Iron Head is a bit better option because your team is weak to Clefable. Both options are viable and really good though.

EDIT: Looked at your team again and saw you don't have a win-condition. You can change Calm Mind > Thunder Wave on Slowbro. Yes, your team will be weaker to Mega Zard X and Mega Gyarados but Slaking takes a +3 Mega Gyarados' Crunch/Waterfall from full and OHKOs back. For Zard-X, you can Calm Mind on it and reduce its HP to below HP, go to Slaking when Slowbro dies and kill with Sucker Punch (51.5 - 60.9%, Sucker Punch > Fire Punch).

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Low Kick

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Slaking @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Retaliate
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

I made a cute little analysis on Slaking on the OU Underdog thread, I will leave a link to it if you wanna check it out: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-underdog-v3.3573536/#post-6932007.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Thanks Misa for the rate, the defensive Infernape is great and effectively kills the Weavile and Bisharp threat as you said. Now running 40 Speed EVs to hit 222 Speed, taking it from SpDef EVs, to outspeed the 219 Speed Jollymarills, the 220 Rotom-W, and the occasional speed creepers at 221 Speed. I am sticking with Iron Head, however, since bulky grounds don't give me too much trouble since I can easily wear them down with Torn-T and Mega Lop. I am considering running Grass Knot on Torn-T for them, so feedback would be appreciated. I am still on the fence with CM over T-Wave on Slowbro, but I will probably take it since Sucker Punch gives priority. Would make the changes but my arm's broken lol. Thanks again!

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Misa for the rate, the defensive Infernape is great and effectively kills the Weavile and Bisharp threat as you said. Now running 40 Speed EVs to hit 222 Speed, taking it from SpDef EVs, to outspeed the 219 Speed Jollymarills, the 220 Rotom-W, and the occasional speed creepers at 221 Speed. I am sticking with Iron Head, however, since bulky grounds don't give me too much trouble since I can easily wear them down with Torn-T and Mega Lop. I am considering running Grass Knot on Torn-T for them, so feedback would be appreciated. I am still on the fence with CM over T-Wave on Slowbro, but I will probably take it since Sucker Punch gives priority. Would make the changes but my arm's broken lol. Thanks again!
You can run HP Ice on Tornadus-T if you wanna catch Landorus-Ts and Garchomps. Grass Knot can be used to catch mostly Hippowdons. All three are kinda hard for your team to deal with, I suggest you to decide which one/s you feel are harder for your team to deal with.

Hope your arm gets better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)