HailRoom

This team focuses on using the team preview to determine which strategy I want to go for. This is overall a Trick Room team, however, I'll use Abomasnow to shut down weather teams.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Sassy
EV's: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
IV's: 0 Spe
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Protect
-Safeguard

This 'mon should speak for itself. Cress is probably the best TR setter, and with a Mental Herb it's not even going to fall victim to the mighty Taunt. Psychic is STAB, and Safeguard is for mushrooms that like to put entire teams to sleep. I went for Protect instead of Helping Hand because it will help against other threats that may try to stop my Cresselia.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Brave
EV's: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
-Fake Out
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Detect

This set is pretty standard. It helps Cresselia set up Trick Room with the aid of Fake Out, and then abuses it's Speed stat and the Guts boost to hit everything hard with STAB Close Combat.

Rhyperior @ Rock Gem
Ability: Lightning Rod
Nature: Brave
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Megahorn
-Protect

Another good standard in Trick Room, Rhyperior is great due to the sheer power of its attacks. QuakeSlide hits a lot of Pokemon in the metagame Super-Effectively, and Megahorn takes care of Cresselia's that may be troublesome otherwise. I opted for the Rock Gem over the Ground Gem simply so that I would be able to use the boosted attack without wasting an attack from my partner Pokemon.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Quiet
EV's: 172 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpA / 52 SpD
IV's: 0 HP
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

This set stands as my second TR user. The secondary Pokemon to do this job has come in handy in many occasions where the opponent stalls out my TR, beats my Cresselia, and expect that they will defeat me quickly. The moves are standard on here, Psychic is STAB, Focus Blast provides great coverage, and Shadow Ball deals with Psychic-types.

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
-Blizzard
-Giga Drain
-Ice Shard
-Protect

Abomasnow is the weather control on this team. If I opt to use Abomasnow I will always use Glaceon as a partner for it. This will typically allow me to sac my TR user in order to use these two effectively. STAB Blizzard hits anything hard, Giga Drain is my secondary STAB, Ice Shard is Priority, and Protect is standard.

Glaceon @ Iron Ball
Snow Cloak
EV's: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 SpD
IV's: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 3 Spe
-Blizzard
-Shadow Ball
-HP Ground
-Protect

Pretty standard. It takes advantage of the Hail, and it takes advantage of the TR. I will only use this if I use Abomasnow, or I'm sure the opponent will.

That's the team, let me know what you guys think of it. I've experimented around a little, and I've never really been successful. It may be mostly because I'm unfamiliar with this metagame (I've played a lot of singles) so I'm not used to predicting VGC well, but tell me what I might do to make this team better, or even some advice for playing VGC in general.

Thanks

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It seems like you could use a lot more type variety. For instance, 5/6 of your team is weak to one (or both) of Scizor's STABs, so you're going to have to hope Hariyama can kill it before it wipes out your team.

One thing I would consider is replacing Glaceon with a Water-type. You may lose some power on its Blizzard, but it would help out a lot with your team's defensive issues and make a better partner for Abomasnow.

Would you recommend using maybe using Empoleon, or Suicune. I was thinking of using one of them on the team originally. I considered Empoleon, because of its low speed, and Suicune because of its great overall stats.

Try Slowking/bro. It may seem odd, but it can dispatch Scizor quickly with Fire Blast, proves another Trick Roomer, and is very strong with Water/Ice attacks. I would also suggest having enough speed on your Cresselia to reach 91 speed at lv 50, which is enough to beat speedy Amoonguss.

Try Slowking/bro. It may seem odd, but it can dispatch Scizor quickly with Fire Blast, proves another Trick Roomer, and is very strong with Water/Ice attacks. I would also suggest having enough speed on your Cresselia to reach 91 speed at lv 50, which is enough to beat speedy Amoonguss.
Well with Slowking/bro they are both weak to Bug Bite, though I haven't done any damage calcs yet, so that may be a mute point. I'm not sure with Cress, though, I can just FO the Amoongus on turn 1 while setting up the TR, and at that point I will outspeed and be able to stop Amoongus with Safeguard.

note your Pokemon's abilities, it should probably be obvious but a few of these can have multiple abilities
Yeah, I'll have to change that.

Also just as kind of an idea I was playing around with, what about Metagross on the team. It's fast enough to be effective without TR up (though that's not been a major concern) and slow enough to be effective with it up. Also Normal Gem boosted Explosion could prove very beneficial.

The problem is, Speedy Amoonguss will outspeed min speed Cresselia, and min speed Amoonguss will outspeed it under Trick Room. I'm just saying, it's best to be prepared for anything.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well with Slowking/bro they are both weak to Bug Bite, though I haven't done any damage calcs yet, so that may be a mute point.
252Atk Technician lvl 50 Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/0Def lvl 50 Slowbro (Neutral): 77% - 92% (156 - 186 HP)
252Atk Technician lvl 50 Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/0Def lvl 50 Slowking (Neutral): 100% - 119% (204 - 242 HP)
252Atk Technician lvl 50 Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/252Def lvl 50 Slowking (+Def): 69% - 83% (140 - 168 HP)

So Slowbro and physically defensive Slowking can survive it, but might not survive to fight back depending on what the other opponent does. Also note that neither of them are guaranteed to KO Scizor if it's holding an Occa Berry or in the rain, even with max SpA:
252SpAtk lvl 50 Slowking (+SAtk) Fire Blast vs 252HP/0SpDef Occa Berry lvl 50 Scizor (Neutral): 85% - 101% (152 - 180 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 10% chance to OHKO.

Also, moot* point.
Sorry, it was bugging me.

252Atk Technician lvl 50 Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/0Def lvl 50 Slowbro (Neutral): 77% - 92% (156 - 186 HP)
252Atk Technician lvl 50 Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/0Def lvl 50 Slowking (Neutral): 100% - 119% (204 - 242 HP)
252Atk Technician lvl 50 Scizor (+Atk) Bug Bite vs 252HP/252Def lvl 50 Slowking (+Def): 69% - 83% (140 - 168 HP)

So Slowbro and physically defensive Slowking can survive it, but might not survive to fight back depending on what the other opponent does. Also note that neither of them are guaranteed to KO Scizor if it's holding an Occa Berry or in the rain, even with max SpA:
252SpAtk lvl 50 Slowking (+SAtk) Fire Blast vs 252HP/0SpDef Occa Berry lvl 50 Scizor (Neutral): 85% - 101% (152 - 180 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 10% chance to OHKO.

Also, moot* point.
Sorry, it was bugging me.
Awhile ago I realized a TR team of mine was weak to Scizor and Metagross, and I thought about Fire Gem Slowking w/ Fire Blast. I can't remember, but I believe it grabbed guaranteed OHKOs on Non-Occa Metagross and any Scizor that wasn't Occa+Rain. The Slowking needs to run max/alot of Sp Atk though, and a Sp Atk raising nature. A bit specific, but worth considering.

Awhile ago I realized a TR team of mine was weak to Scizor and Metagross, and I thought about Fire Gem Slowking w/ Fire Blast. I can't remember, but I believe it grabbed guaranteed OHKOs on Non-Occa Metagross and any Scizor that wasn't Occa+Rain. The Slowking needs to run max/alot of Sp Atk though, and a Sp Atk raising nature. A bit specific, but worth considering.
or just use chandelure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)