ORAS LC Halo

Hi this is Vubon, a LC lover and i wanted to share this new Volt-turn team i made that i have quite enjoyed using over the past week.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 10 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick/Acrobatics

I can't recall a single team which i built that does not feature Mienfoo and that is not surprising at all since Foo is the star of the tier and an ideal addition to Volt-turn teams. I prefered the bulky set over the fast one on this particular team to be a reliable Pawniard switch in and it also enables me to perform a slower U-turn to gain momentum or trap a weakend mon with Diglett. Drain punch is the obvious STAB move that allows foo to regain health and deal damage at the same time, Knock off is essential for removing eviolites and berry juices from incoming switchins such as Spritzee,Snubbull,Foongus etc.
U-turn allows foo to pivot in and out of the field and its also good for scouting. I opted for High Jump Kick over Acrobatics in the last slot because i prefer to keep Foo's eviolite intact and for the fact that its
a very powerful STAB move and most people don't expect it on bulky/slow Foo.

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp/Wild Charge

Larvesta offensive and defensive credentials and access to U-turn made it an obvious pick. The primary fighting/fairy check of the team that also strongly resists Ice,Steel and Grass type moves. Flare Blitz is an insanely strong STAB move despite the recoil damage, U-turn is the second STAB move that deals good damage and lets it pivot in and out, Morning sun allows it to keep healthy and for the last slot i personally preferred Will-O-Wisp to burn the physical attackers that get lucky and avoid Flame Body and also to weaken Shell Smashers such as Dwebble,Tirtouga,Shellder etc. If your looking for coverage then you can go for Wild Charge.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Chinchou allows me to complete 'the traditional Volt-turn' core and is the teams much needed Water and Fletchling check. I opted with the eviolite set over the berry juice set because of the much needed bulk. The slightly dumb decision of choosing Water Abosrb over Volt Absorb is due to the fact this team is really weak to Water types and this way i can switch in Chou into hard hitting water types such as Carvanha and Corphish when predicting a Waterfall or Crabhammer to regain a good deal of HP as Water Absorb is pretty rare to be seen. Volt switch is first move for swtiching out when predicting a possible counter to Chou(excepting Diglett or Trace Porygon:P), Scald is good for bulky Chou for the occasional burn, Heal Bell comes in aid to remove the statuses of your team when needed and for the last move Ice Beam can be chosen for coverage or Thunderbolt if your looking for a powerful STAB move then Volt Switch.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 184 HP / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Drilbur is Larvesta's best friend(after Staryu offcourse). Its fast and also hits hard and its access to both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin made it an ideal pick for the team. Drilbur also has a powerful STAB move in the form of Earthquake and Rock Tomb is to hit Flying types which are immune to Earthquake and it also lowers speed which comes in handy against fast mons.

Rufflet @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 116 HP / 12 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Aerial Ace
- Superpower
- Roost

At first i had Fletchling but i replaced it soon after witnessing Rufflet. It can be made quite bulky and its 14 base attack which is boosted into 15 by spending only 12 EVs is further boosted by its ability Hustle and it becomes a force to deal with after a few Bulk Ups. Brave Bird is already a powerful STAB move even without the Hustle boost but sadly there is the fact that Hustle reduces the accuracy of physical attacks and so theres a chance of Brave Bird will miss however Aerial Ace solves this problem since it doesnt checks accuracy and it gives Rufflet a move that will hit(if not Paralysed). Roost allows it to regain lost health. The access to the move Superpower allows rufflet to surprise so many of the traditional bird checks such as Pawniard, Aron, Magnemite, Amaura etc. So basically most Steel and Rock types will have a nightmare checking Rufflet. Its only reliable check is Chinchou which also takes a decent amount of damage from Superpower. This in my opinion is the most effective Rufflet set. I also ask the people to crown Rufflet of the title 'Superior Bird' instead of Doduo.

Diglett @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 246 Atk / 246 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Diglett traps and kills, pretty much thats it. Life Orb allows it to kill any mon that is weakened or frail mons that are missing their eviolites. Earthquake is a powerful STAB move and Rock Slide is for coverage against Flying types. Sucker punch comes in handy against Scarfed mons and priority users in dire situations. Substitute allows it to evade Sucker Punch from Stunky, Croagunk, Pawniard etc.
I call Diglett 'The Cleaner' because of the role it plays for my team.

Shoutouts:

Eniigma you suck :p
Corporal Levi your the best Levi, thanks for all the help
Mambo mentor !!
Cydrolic Sensei !

And to the rest of the amazing folks of the LC community.

macle Coconut. TheFenderStory Yagura Alice Kazumi Fiend Heysup mad0ka jeran kingmidas Oma OP parivard Pikasohn rhydonphilip rssp1
Star. thelindomar Quote PURPLEDOOSH Mael Joltage Kass The Dopest♥ majaspic22

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hello Vubon,
It's always great to see our PSers become active on the forums! Your team covers most threats quite well, and Rufflet is a nice touch. However, there are a few threats, or rather combinations of threats that severely threaten your team. These mostly stem from your reliance on Chinchou to check several important Pokemon, notably birds, Shellder, and Corphish, which is problematic given Chinchou's status as Diglett bait. Giving it a Choice Scarf will make it far too frail to repeatedly check these Pokemon, so it is necessary to replace something. Furthermore, Hydro Pump variants of Omanyte are able to set up on Larvesta and sweep without much issue. Even outside of Diglett, it is important to have multiple checks to birds and water-types due to the strength of birdspam and waterspam cores, so I do not suggest replacing Chinchou. Getting rid of Larvesta or Drilbur will open up a different set of holes in your team, and Rufflet is what gives this team its flavour, so I do not think that these should be replaced, either.
The only Pokemon able to handle all of birds/Shellder/Corphish/Omanyte is Porygon, so I suggest Thunderbolt Porygon over Mienfoo or Diglett. On replacing Mienfoo, you already have physically defensive Larvesta, Diglett, and Drilbur to deal with Pawniard, and although Mienfoo's general pivoting utility will be missed, it's not like Porygon is a dead weight, either. Not outright losing to fairly popular strategies in Shelldig and Fletchdig is more than enough to justify Porygon; your team can still function as VoltTurn thanks to Chinchou and Larvesta. Diglett is also expendable if you would rather keep Mienfoo - you have multiple countermeasures to every common Steel-, Poison-, Fire- and Electric-type already, and Porygon is a soft check to Poison-types and opposing Chinchou, anyways. Replacing Diglett will leave you more vulnerable to Gothita, but Mienfoo is the only really Gothita-weak Pokemon on the team. A defensive Trace variant of Porygon is probably best for your team so that opposing Diglett are only limited to trapping one Pokemon, and the added bulk will better allow Porygon to check what it needs to.
Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
The moveset is fairly self-explanatory - Thunder Wave cripples various offensive Pokemon, Recover lets Porygon outlast what it needs to check, Psychic hits Fighting-type switch-ins, and Thunderbolt heavily damages Flying- and Water-types.

That's all I have for now. Good work, and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)