Hardest Relative NPC

This is not really a specific NPC but all the Double Team + Static Emolga's in BW's battle subway. Whitney was also a bitch back in the day but nowadays I just use a Geodude.

This is not really a specific NPC but all the Double Team + Static Emolga's in BW's battle subway. Whitney was also a bitch back in the day but nowadays I just use a Geodude.
If we are talking about those buildings, I can introduce you to Quick Claw Horn Drill Rhydon from Battle Tower

in sapphire and ruby the rival battle under the bike bridge. i had huge trouble tryign to take down may. idk why it was terrible
I agree, that battle was brutal. The way I always won it when I was little (before I knew the importance of training something other than your starter) was by spamming Mud-slap until Grovyle was at -6 Accuracy and never hit. Of course now I just raise a Taillow and it utterly destroys it.

The only time I lost in Black was against Cinthia. Completely caught off guard. That freaking Spiritomb was hellis to put down, and I was obliterated by Garchomp and Lucario.

For me, it was Elesa, from BW2. First attempt, I get my rear end handed to me(even though my starter was snivy). I ask my friend what to do, and recommends getting a ground type. I quickly catch a sandile(nickname it Tank), and go deal with the gym. And yet I still have trouble. I guess GameFreak's idea for her team can be boiled down mainly to the following:

VOLT SWITCH ON ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIVE ZEBSTRIKA(base stats 75/100/63/80/63/116) A SPEED-BOOSTING PHYSICAL MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE EMOLGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated facing a electric type immune to ground, and I didn't know the type chart that well so I didn't know a) it was flying type and b) what flying was weak to(not like I had ice or rock moves anyways). That's not okay. Seriously, every trainer in her gym has the same Pokemon, and they do jack to prepare you for fighting her. Plus, her character was annoying and seemed kind of shallow, what with the focus on modeling and beauty and all.

I don't know about "hard" exactly, but I just got completely flat-footed on battle 32 of the battle maison by Double Team, Toxic, Protect, Earthquake, Sitrus Berry Tauros. Bloody thing toxic stalled me to death and I couldn't touch it.

That chick in Emerald who decides to introduce you for the very time to the death world that is Skill Swap Gardevoir -> <- Slaking

Also, most of the time Norman stomps me. Stop focus punching me, jerk! Stop facading! Finally nibbled your butt down to low health with Aron ... Hyper Potion! ANOTHER SLAKING (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Though frankly I found what they did to him in Emerald an insult to my endeavors in Sapphire

Diamond and pearl Cynthia she destroyed souls with garchomp and spiritomb I'm so glad they made her so much more manageable in platinum haha

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've gotta agree with that post about Elesa, actually I think it's mostly volt switch that wrecks you. Clemont does the same thing with his Emolga. On my most recent run of X I hadn't prepared for him really well so my best 'mon was my Solrock. Turn one I select Rock Slide but his Volt Switch out-speeds me so I end up hitting Magneton on the switch. Whatever, I'll just hit it with Bulldoze like I had planned to anyway. Nope! He also out-speeds and gets the KO with Mirror Shot. At least he only had Volt Switch on Emolga though. Elesa had it on everything and would just spam it. You couldn't hit Zebstrika (or Flaffy) for super effective damage because it was so fast you'd just hit Emolga on the switch. And of course you'd just end up paralysed from Static of you tried to go physical on them!

The first time I played Grant he swept me with his Tyrunt. Strong Jaws Bite does big damage at that point in the game. Rock/dragon typing is pretty good defensively too, and can take a good neutral hit so it not only hurts everything but is a pain to take out as well

I've gotta agree with that post about Elesa, actually I think it's mostly volt switch that wrecks you. Clemont does the same thing with his Emolga. On my most recent run of X I hadn't prepared for him really well so my best 'mon was my Solrock. Turn one I select Rock Slide but his Volt Switch out-speeds me so I end up hitting Magneton on the switch. Whatever, I'll just hit it with Bulldoze like I had planned to anyway. Nope! He also out-speeds and gets the KO with Mirror Shot. At least he only had Volt Switch on Emolga though. Elesa had it on everything and would just spam it. You couldn't hit Zebstrika (or Flaffy) for super effective damage because it was so fast you'd just hit Emolga on the switch. And of course you'd just end up paralysed from Static of you tried to go physical on them!

The first time I played Grant he swept me with his Tyrunt. Strong Jaws Bite does big damage at that point in the game. Rock/dragon typing is pretty good defensively too, and can take a good neutral hit so it not only hurts everything but is a pain to take out as well
had that problem until i thought of picking up a scraggy, helped a ton. on my nuzlocke, i just used rock smash snorlax because i didn't want to go back and buy bulldoze

After playing another Emerald Nuzlocke I can safely say that Juan is probably the hardest NPC.

His Kingdra has the moveset Water Pulse/Ice Beam/Double Team/Rest with Chesto Berry. Just let that sink in. Also its bulk and typing make it so that your strongest STABs (and I'm talking Lanturn's Thunderbolt) are 3HKOes. Unless you have HJK on your Blaziken but that would mean bringing Blaziken to Juan. Every single playthrough I've had to either crit it to death or PP stall. It can't really kill you except with Water Pulse luck if you have a Water-type, but you can't kill it either.

Oh, and all of his mons sport STAB Water Pulse, and Luvdisc has Sweet Kiss and Base 95 Speed. As if Kingdra wasn't enough.

While I heavily disagree with Whitney (I have never once had a problem with her and I didn't even know about the traded Machop until I was reading this thread!) and Wattson (Marshstomp is amazing), I will agree with Norman. He was one of my toughest fights I've ever had against an NPC. Those Slakings just are bulky and buff as hell. Luckily, I now know the key to beating him in time for our Gen VI rematch: Protect. Heh, heh, heh.
I also agree with Ghestis in BW1. I'm still not sure how I beat it with a team that was (with the exception of Reshiriam, who I didn't use throughout the battle) in the 40s.

Ace Trainers Dennis and Maya. It must have taken over 30 minutes to wallbreak that (can't remember which mons or version that was) the first time I faced it, when hyper offense was the only playstyle I knew. In the other games, it was easy.
Cyrus in Celestic Town. I never bothered to train up a Ponyta or Machop, and I started with Turtwig.

Surprisingly, Siebold in XY. That was mainly because I had dropped my Heliolisk and Average Gourgeist a WHILE ago for better pokes and got swept by his Gyrardos without my Char being able to do a thing.

Ace Trainers Dennis and Maya. It must have taken over 30 minutes to wallbreak that (can't remember which mons or version that was) the first time I faced it, when hyper offense was the only playstyle I knew. In the other games, it was easy.
Cyrus in Celestic Town. I never bothered to train up a Ponyta or Machop, and I started with Turtwig.
Are you talking about the ones in Diamond and Pearl on Route 215? With the Gyarados? I actually didn't pick up Diamond for my first game and knew what I was doing when I hit them.

My first game was Platinum, though. Probably the hardest game in existence, at least for an inexperienced player. I'll just list some of the encounters you have to go through:

-Roark: I breezed through this first time since I had Prinplup, but I recently returned to the game with Chimchar and holy shit Cranidos murdered my Monferno (me having a Hasty nature didn't exactly help) with a crit Headbutt. My first time blacking out on Gym 1. >.<

-Gardenia: Thank god Roserade doesn't have Technician in Gen IV because otherwise this would be impossible. The first time I played through I blacked out ten times here. And yes, I had a lv. 25 Staravia. Turtwig has Reflect, Cherrim has Leech Seed, and Roserade has that giant Special Attack.

-Fantina: Mismagius tho. Duskull with its Will-O-Wisp doesn't exactly help. Not to mention that 2 Magical Leafs+2 hit self in confusion=dead Staravia.

-Dennis and Maya nearly killed me the first time, even without their Gyarados. Drifblim this early in the game is just screwed up.

-Maylene: Protip: Don't evolve your Prinplup and expect to beat this gym.

At this point I got myself a Tangrowth because it looked cool, so it basically soloed the next part of the game. Except for one little thing. Cyrus couldn't even touch me.

-Ace Trainers Zac and Jen. Holy shit. I didn't have Defog, so basically I had to deal with permanent -2 Evasion. And if you didn't know these guys use lv. 36 Gyarados+lv. 36 Raichu in Platinum. Gyarados has Intimidate. Basically I just stalled these guys out with Tangrowth because I had no idea how the fuck to kill them.

-Candice: Abomasnow, followed by Froslass. Froslass even has Double Team, meaning if you miss once, you're never gonna hit again. My only ---% move was Staraptor's Aerial Ace. And, well...Staraptor.

B/W has some hard NPCs too. Striaton Gym is...Striaton Gym. But the one that probably takes the cake here is the Battle Girl in Twist Mountain with a BULK UP THROH. That single Pokemon killed two of my team members in my latest Nuzlocke of this game (although Serperior died because Leaf Tornado missed). There's a Black Belt later on with a Bulk Up Sawk but it's not as bulky.

Nothing beats Juan's pure trolling though. Except maybe Winona's Altaria, if you were looking to have a clean sweep with your Manectric/Electrode or something.

-Gardenia: Thank god Roserade doesn't have Technician in Gen IV because otherwise this would be impossible. The first time I played through I blacked out ten times here. And yes, I had a lv. 25 Staravia. Turtwig has Reflect, Cherrim has Leech Seed, and Roserade has that giant Special Attack.

Had trouble with that one in one of my games. Then I traded over a level 50 Infernape because Prinplup's Drill Peck wasn't enough to offset the Grass weakness. And I was a complete noob back then, I only really used my starter.

-Fantina: Mismagius tho. Duskull with its Will-O-Wisp doesn't exactly help. Not to mention that 2 Magical Leafs+2 hit self in confusion=dead Staravia.

When I played that one in Pearl, Infernape survived on ONE HP. And it was poisoned.

-Candice: Abomasnow, followed by Froslass. Froslass even has Double Team, meaning if you miss once, you're never gonna hit again. My only ---% move was Staraptor's Aerial Ace. And, well...Staraptor.

Snow Warning+Snow Cloak should be banned. Due to some completely screwed-up hax, I missed a couple of times allowing loads of Double Teams to get used. And I was using Infernape. So I brought along a Machamp.
Comments in bold.

And also: The Superior City gym in Pokémon Zeta (a fan-made version). Even with the incompetent AI, that Riolu really screwed me over.

When I was battling Cynthia(in Diamond), I was easily sweeping 5-3 until Garchomp came out. That thing somehow outsped and tore apart my whole team, save for my Gyarados who barely took a Giga Impact and finished the job with 2 Dragon Dances and Waterfalls/Bounces to her team.

Unless you grind a lot, Lenora's Watchog is a nightmare to take out. I remember having a lot of trouble with Bugsy in my very first run of Silver (I was 6 or something, first Pokemon game ever) despite starting with Cyndaquil. Never had trouble with it after that though.
Lenora's Watchog shouldn't be a problem considering there are like three friggin' fighting types on the forest next route. Just catch a Timburr and get it to level 20

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lenora's Watchog shouldn't be a problem considering there are like three friggin' fighting types on the forest next route. Just catch a Timburr and get it to level 20
Any gym is easy if you know what to expect and plan accordingly. A lot of these stories are coming from people's first playthroughs, which in that case lead to a lot of difficult battles. In my first play of White I started with Tepig and even Pignite couldn't save me from that Watchog and so I lost to her a couple times before winning. That's what makes her a relatively hard NPC. Who on their first play of a game reaches a town with a gym, skips it to visit the next route, catches something there, grinds it and takes it back to win? I always hate these rebuttals along the lines of 'come on chump that gym is easy if you go and do all these extra things first'.

edit: damn 502s..

Any gym is easy if you know what to expect and plan accordingly. A lot of these stories are coming from people's first playthroughs, which in that case lead to a lot of difficult battles. In my first play of White I started with Tepig and even Pignite couldn't save me from that Watchog and so I lost to her a couple times before winning. That's what makes her a relatively hard NPC. Who on their first play of a game reaches a town with a gym, skips it to visit the next route, catches something there, grinds it and takes it back to win? I always hate these rebuttals along the lines of 'come on chump that gym is easy if you go and do all these extra things first'.

edit: damn 502s..
Quite a few of these gyms mentioned are hard every time you go through them. Juan has trolled me this way on every single playthrough, and Platinum is hard even if you know what you're doing. Lenora, on the other hand, isn't the least bit hard if you caught the right mons early-game.

-Pignite, while it doesn't like to take the first Retaliate (that's what fodder is for!), can solo the gym easily.
-Watchog can't really do much to Roggenrola outside of Defense drops from Crunch.
-Herdier trolls it with Intimidate if you have it, and also gets Rock Smash.
-A person in Nacerene City sells X-Items.

In a way Lenora is like Whitney--if you somehow manage to come in completely unprepared, she will steamroll you. But if you have the right mons/moves/items, she is easy. At least a few thousand times easier than Striaton Gym.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I always hate these rebuttals along the lines of 'come on chump that gym is easy if you go and do all these extra things first'.
Lenora, on the other hand, isn't the least bit hard if you caught the right mons early-game.
This is what I'm talking about. The average player going through Unova isn't going to take these things into consideration. I know a lot of us here have played the games a million times and plan for this stuff in advance which makes it easy, but (believe it or not) there are people who don't stock up on X-items in Nacrene or catch Rogenrolla in advance. You may be doing a Nuzlocke and not have the luxury of being able to catch one. And I've definitely forgotten that she spams Retaliate and lost something to it. This is what makes her difficult relative to that point in the game.

This is what I'm talking about. The average player going through Unova isn't going to take these things into consideration. I know a lot of us here have played the games a million times and plan for this stuff in advance which makes it easy, but (believe it or not) there are people who don't stock up on X-items in Nacrene or catch Rogenrolla in advance. You may be doing a Nuzlocke and not have the luxury of being able to catch one. And I've definitely forgotten that she spams Retaliate and lost something to it. This is what makes her difficult relative to that point in the game.
This is why you should get in the habit of exploring everything ahead up until you cannot get further without a Badge. Otherwise you miss Sawk/Throh, Timburr, etc. Helps a lot in every game.

Also if you're doing a Nuzlocke you'd have to be really damn unlucky NOT to have a Herdier, Sawk, Throh, Timburr, Roggenrola, or Pignite. And if you're doing a Nuzlocke, chances are you know what X-Items are. They basically make Lenora trivial no matter what mons you're using.

Meanwhile for certain leaders you have no choice but to admit it's going to be a haxfest, that it's going to be pretty much impossible. No amount of preparation whatsoever will allow you to be completely ready for Juan's Kingdra or Candice's Froslass, or even Clair's Kingdra. You pretty much have to hope you hit enough through the Evasion boosts they stack up (or accuracy drops in the case of Clair's Kingdra) to kill it before it kills you.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
let's bump dis

I always seem to have trouble with Sky Trainers in XY, they just seem to have Pokemon and attacks designed to troll the average player. A couple of them lead with Emolgas which obviously beat opposing flying types with their electric moves, there's someone with a Rotom that does the same. One of them leads with a Speed Boost + Baton Pass Ninjask that passes to a Rock Slide Flygon, one trainer uses a Cryogonal. There's also one girl who has a freaking Aerodactyl with Stone Edge and Ice Fang! I always have trouble with them as I normally only carry one flying type with me at a time in a playthrough, and I imagine most kids playing through the game only carry a flimsy Talonflame or something with them too. You really need to plan ahead or just straight up avoid them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)