Hardest Relative NPC

Cynthia in BW was brutal as anything, as many other peoples have mentioned. She was only a teensy bit easier since she didn't have her flinch-happy Togekiss, but the Braviary in its' place wasn't a walk in the park either. The Roserade was replaced by the Eelektross as well, which actually did make her even harder since Eelektross has no weaknesses thanks to Levitate.

I had difficulty with Clair since she had Kingdra without exploitable weaknesses. I also had trouble against Galactic Admin Mars. Her Zubat had Toxic and that tripped me up. Cynthia's Spiritomb was very hard to deal with since it had no weaknesses. Late game I nearly lost to Benga. His Pokemon were so high-leveled. Drake's Mega Salamence ended my attempt to sweep the Elite 4 with just Rayquaza.

I don't think I've had any serious problems with in-game trainers since Cynthia? Can't think of any specific reason. I don't grind, but I don't skip - maybe it's just been good choice in starters or luck. (Never had a problem with Red in HGSS, or Miltank... GSc was a different story, but that's because I was monoing with a level 94 Typhlosion. I managed to win eventually, with liberal use of death fodder and Sunny Day.)

I do remember Aroma lady Rose in Emerald causing me some pain. My fault again, though: was monoing with a Marshtomp and couldn't take out her grass types. And the trainer with Archen in chargestone cave very nearly scored a win... I was really embarrassed by that.

EDIT: shit I forgot about Ghetsis and his Hydreigon! Yeah that was tough. It was impossible to switch into. Still broke through though.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Ghetsis' Hydreigon.
I had to use like 6 revival herbs for that, I normally don't use any.

Red in PWT.
Lost quite many times.

Steven in AS. I never played the original RS, so I had no idea what was coming up. Took me three tries, and one extremely lucky critical hit from my last Pokemon, a Manetric, on his Metagross to win.

Not particularly the 'hardest' NPC, but Dome Ace Tucker (Emerald) made me smash my GBA when his Swampert held onto its Focus Band four times in a row.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
guys we need to beat Misty

on a serious note, beating the e4 post-story in bw1 and at any point in bw2 was hard as hell for me. probably cause my mons are underleveled af, but still... caitlins metagross.

OK, I'll share an experience.

BW2 Iris was absolutely insane for me. My team was Serperior, Darmanitan, Swoobat, Terrakion, Zoroark, and Azumarill I think? I don't remember but it was something like that. Hydreigon went down from Terrakion, same with Druddigon and Aggron. Lapras was destroyed by Serperior. Then Haxorus comes out, survives Darmanitan's Superpower, and sets up a Dragon Dance. It proceeds to sweep my whole team with Dragon Claw, X-Scissor, and Earthquake.

But it doesn't end there. I end up catching a Zweilous, evolving it into Hydreigon, replacing Swoobat, and trying again. Haxorus again, sweeps me after a Dragon Dance. Then, I challenge her again, and finally beat her Haxorus. Then Archeops comes out and kills Hydreigon with Brick BreakDragon Claw or something like that, then sweeps my whole team with Acrobatics, Earthquake, and Rock Slide.

I finally beat her due to some luck with the Quick Claw, allowing me to actually beat her and enter the hall of fame. My Hydreigon was something like level 74 by then, so I ended up completing the afterstory with pretty much just Hydreigon.

Last edited:
You know what was an annoying NPC battler? That one Sky Trainer that had an Aerodactyl! You probably play through the game with maybe only one or two flying types. Since this is before the end of the game, it probably only has STAB attacks. I legit only had one flying type: a Pidgeot. Despite being overleveled it could just not break through it before being KO'd. When I played through X I had a Salamence and I remembered to get my revenge on her (him? I can't remember)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Rocket Grunt in Mountain Moon. In my first ever playthrough of Pokemon Blue, he destroyed me with his Lv 16 Raticate ( I had a Lv 13 Bulbasaur, Lv 12 Pikachu and a Lv 8 Geodude )

You know what was an annoying NPC battler? That one Sky Trainer that had an Aerodactyl! You probably play through the game with maybe only one or two flying types. Since this is before the end of the game, it probably only has STAB attacks. I legit only had one flying type: a Pidgeot. Despite being overleveled it could just not break through it before being KO'd. When I played through X I had a Salamence and I remembered to get my revenge on her (him? I can't remember)
I had an Emolga go through the Sky Trainers because, hey, Electric is good against the Flying types. That Aerodactyl smashed it down. Only Sky Battle I lost, too.

Sounds like I'm one of the rare few noobs who fell for Chuck's subpunching in HGSS eh? Must be my low-speed team, or just my general lack of competitive battling knowledge.

Last edited:
Sounds like I'm one of the rare few noobs who fell for Chuck's subpunching in HGSS eh? Must be my low-speed team, or just my general lack of competitive battling knowledge.
I had that too when I first played HGSS. I remember being really frustrated about it.

Ok... I haven't seen this one yet, I think. My life was almost ended in BW2 by a Dunsparce. I don't remember the trainer; only trained Pokémon in my party were a Riolu w/o fighting type attacks and the starter (Snivy). I was around lvl... 10? 11? And my strongest attack was Absorb. He used Defense Curl turn 1, I did literally 0 and then he used Rollout. The rest is history. I don't know how I won, I just remember that I sacrificed everyone of my Pokémon in order to defeat that monster, because he didn't miss a single rollout.

I have a particularly bad memory of a rather forgettable NPC, Pokéfan William in the Johto National Park.

I just got to Goldenrod and I was looking for some easy experience to train for Whitney. This is when the unexpected little cheater sneaks in. Pokéfans usually have rather shitty Pokémon, but this one had a Raichu with Thunderbolt. 100 Spe and 90 SpA are no jokes at that level, especially with STAB TBolt. It also holds a Berry to make it even harder to wear down. My started was Totodile and I had no Geodude, so I got brutalized by the jolly man and I blacked out. The surprise effect is what really pushed it over the edge.

(I say cheater because Thunderbolt is a level 1 move for Raichu in GS, but not for Pichu or Pikachu, thus unobtainable through normal gameplay.)

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
OK, I'll share an experience.

BW2 Iris was absolutely insane for me. My team was Serperior, Darmanitan, Swoobat, Terrakion, Zoroark, and Azumarill I think? I don't remember but it was something like that. Hydreigon went down from Terrakion, same with Druddigon and Aggron. Lapras was destroyed by Serperior. Then Haxorus comes out, survives Darmanitan's Superpower, and sets up a Dragon Dance. It proceeds to sweep my whole team with Dragon Claw, X-Scissor, and Earthquake.

But it doesn't end there. I end up catching a Zweilous, evolving it into Hydreigon, replacing Swoobat, and trying again. Haxorus again, sweeps me after a Dragon Dance. Then, I challenge her again, and finally beat her Haxorus. Then Archeops comes out and kills Hydreigon with Brick BreakDragon Claw or something like that, then sweeps my whole team with Acrobatics, Earthquake, and Rock Slide.

I finally beat her due to some luck with the Quick Claw, allowing me to actually beat her and enter the hall of fame. My Hydreigon was something like level 74 by then, so I ended up completing the afterstory with pretty much just Hydreigon.
I had similar difficulty. I had an Emboar, Krookidile, and Galvantula as viable attackers. Haxorus pretty much swept. I used a ton of Revival Herbs, Hyper Potions and the sort to stall out and ensure that my Emboar hit enough times to KO with Head Smash. It took me 30 minutes lol.

I don't want to stay on mine for long since it aas quite embarrassing, but in black 1 I couldn't beat the electric gym leader Elesa(I forgot her name but she sucks anyway :< )for weeks! It was just impossible to beat the volt switch spam between 2 emolgas and since I chose serperior as a starter and skipped palpitoad as a capture all of my pokemon kept losing to volt switch. Yeah I could keep attacking the emolga's, but zebstrika would sweep me in the end. Me being the noob I was didn't know typings exactly or what non attack moves did so to make matters worse I would never be able to come up with some strategy vs the flying squirrels. Luckily on some miracle she switched into zebstrika randomly and I killed it right as it came in and from there I kept attacking the emolga's and I finally won after forever!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)