Hardest Relative NPC

the inverse battler in X and Y, messed with me quite a bit and i almost got wiped out, saved by my 10 HP Talonflame flame charging his mega gyradose, was totally unprepared and thought i could handle it was ridiculous (SE changed to NVE and vice versa).

Just going to make a quick mention to Lenora here - pick up a fighting type and use the Chesto Berries given to you or you're kinda SOL.

Also, Ghetsis's Hydreigon - I still wipe on that. It's faster than the fastest Pokemon I pick up and OHKOs EVERYTHING.

I see nobody have brought up Cooltrainer Jennifer from Ruby/Sapphire. You walk along with your slightly underlevelled Pokémon, then BAM! A trainer! Oh, she has only one Pokémon? Milotic? That's cool...

...five minutes later, it's not cool anymore. I rushed a little too much through Sapphire, and Jennifer was the first trainer to beat me. That Milotic took everything I threw at it, Recovered back the damage, and confused me with Water Pulse until my entire team was down. I felt so pathetic afterwards.
This was the first thing that came to mind. The Milotic after the 6th Gym solo'd my whole team.

Sky Trainers are some of the greatest trolls in X and Y. There was this one on Route 8 with a fucking mantyke and all I had was fletchinder. But no he doesn't go for the water move and end it quickly. He goes for the confuse ray first and doesnt do anything of note for about 2 turns while i get confuse haxed and do about 30% with Peck. Then he kills me.
Korrina's Hawlucha was slightly less annoying due to Talonflame's Flame Body.
Obligatory Sawk guy mention

I actually have another XY trainer to add to this!

There is a guy with a Sawk in the middle of Reflection Cave which I lost to cause of Bulldoze spammage. I was relatively overleveled as well!

RyanBoi11 Ghost types totally wall her ;)
I should add the guy who has a Pinsir and Absol in that very cave. Now /that/ guy destroys me every time. I wind up wasting about 10 super potions and three or four mons just to beat them :<

Pokemon Stadium counts, right? Because that Lass in Pika or Petit Cup with the god damned ToxicWrap Tentacruel... dear lord. Dig Arcanine was a troll, too.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm genuinely surprised to see a lot of people listing Misty as a difficult battle... I honestly never ever had any problem with her, as I always caught a Pikachu that would, along with the rest of my team, be mid 20s at least by the time I got to her, and I'd just dick her. If I went with Bulbasaur, it was even easier. I honestly don't get where the difficulty lies?

For RBY, the only gym that ever really gave me any trouble was Brock, and that's because I usually started with Charmander - if I started with either of the other 2, he was easy as well. Saying that, once I figured out you could catch and train a nidoran male to 14 (I think?) and get double kick, Brock became a pushover as well.

Before I figured out dragons weaknesses, Lance was pretty tough, and required me to overpower him through sheer levels.

Gary was 'difficult' in the sense that he was the only one with a diverse team, but all that meant was "which Pokemon is he bringing in? Okay, bring in an SE counter and one/two shot.

Hell, the hardest fights in RBY were the legendary birds and Mewtwo (if you decided not to use your master ball).

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
wut? the inverse trainer was easy. Beat all his pokemon with my mothim haha. But really they should have made more inverse battles in the game. They're pretty fun.

The gym leader I had the toughest time with was Sabrina from Pokemon yellow. As a 10 year old kid, my team consisted of an overleveled pikachu and the kanto starters. Well, that damn level 50 alakazam just destroyed my team a few times until I got smart and trained a snorlax to body slam that mustache wearing psycho into oblivion

Sky Trainers are some of the greatest trolls in X and Y. There was this one on Route 8 with a fucking mantyke and all I had was fletchinder. But no he doesn't go for the water move and end it quickly. He goes for the confuse ray first and doesnt do anything of note for about 2 turns while i get confuse haxed and do about 30% with Peck. Then he kills me.
Korrina's Hawlucha was slightly less annoying due to Talonflame's Flame Body.
Obligatory Sawk guy mention
So true. It's like GF figured out that most people will use Talonflame as their flying type, so they gave sky trainers ways to counter them (my first battle was against a Mantyke too, shortly afterwards there was an Emolga, and IIRC Aerodactyl also..).

Pokemon Stadium counts, right? Because that Lass in Pika or Petit Cup with the god damned ToxicWrap Tentacruel... dear lord. Dig Arcanine was a troll, too.
Yeah, there were quite a lot of Wrap-based teams you had to fight in the original Pokemon Stadium. Probably the most annoying thing about them was simply how long it took. In the Gameboy games it took a few seconds to get through a Wrap cycle since the animation was very short and you could keep mashing A. In Pokemon Stadium they went on forever.

That Lass also had a Gyrados. Tentacruel and Gyarados had really high Special Attacks in these games, so Surf, etc. would hit really hard.

I'd say the battle right afterward was even harder. In particular the Dragonair with Thunderwave, Wrap and Dragon Rage. Basically the only things that can beat Dragonair is something that has more than 40 HP and a higher Speed stat, and considering the restricted pool of Pokemon you get to choose from... And even when you fulfill those requirements, you still often can't OHKO it, even with an Ice Beam. I suppose the best thing to do would be to fish one of those L.15 Dragonair from the Safari Zone in Pokemon Yellow and train it to L.20 to beat it (and the rest of the tournament for that matter) lol.

For RBY, the only gym that ever really gave me any trouble was Brock, and that's because I usually started with Charmander - if I started with either of the other 2, he was easy as well. Saying that, once I figured out you could catch and train a nidoran male to 14 (I think?) and get double kick, Brock became a pushover as well.
I never found Brock too hard in Red. Even with Charmander. Onix's Special is so low that you can power through it with Ember, and if you manage to burn it, then it basically KO's itself once it uses Bind. Not to mention you can weaken it with Growl, Tail Whip/Leer, Sand Attack, String Shot from your teammates. Even if you got a Weedle, you can Poison Sting a few times to get it poisoned, then you just have to stall it out (which is easy since when it uses Bide it sits there for 2-3 turns doing nothing and Bind doesn't do much damage).

Pokemon Yellow is much, much more difficult. There's no Weedle available in the wild, and the only special move you're likely to have at that point is Thundershock, which Geodude and Onix are immune to. So the best thing to do is use Tail Whip/Leer 6 times, then wear it down with Tackle, Gust, Peck, Scratch and Quick Attack from your team (you get L.9 Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, but even those struggle a lot against Geodude and Onix). However, there are Mankey that learn Low Kick at L.9, Nidoran that learn Double Kick at L.12, and you can evolve Caterpie to Butterfree where it learns Confusion at L.10. However, all three of those examples require over-training. Generally my team would be in the L.6-L.8 range when fighting Brock.

Last edited:

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't had too much trouble with most of the "popular" hard NPCs (Ghetsis, Lance, Whitney, Cynthia, blah blah), but the only one that has been the hardest and most challenging for me is that fucker of Evice from Pokémon Colosseum. That silly fat bastard has destroyed me more than a couple of times with his deadly Lv.60 team (Even with my being on 54-56), and considering Colosseum's small pool of good, usable Pokémon to choose from, it makes the battle even worse. I recently won against him, but barely, with only my Hitmontop and Shadow Skarm standing (the rest of my team was annihilated).

As an honorable mention, the Cipher Peon with a Shadow Hitmontop gave me lots of trouble when i was a kid, and a Veteran in BW1 that nearly swept me with a Quiver Dance Lilligant, made me have a strong hatred for Lilligants afterwards. >_>

Iris in B2 was really hard for me. I was 3 levels below her lowest level pokemon, and my only viable pokemon were lucario and excadrill, my emboar/tranquill were also helpful, but not by much. Her haxorus wasn't one shot by e-quake from excadrill, and she would continue to go and sweep my team.

the gold/silver elite 4. I refused to use items or legendaries as a kid( still do but obviously the game is much easier now) and that elite 4 is incredibly hard if you don't use your ho-oh/lugia.

Inverse guy: First time I fought him, I had 2 4x. Bug resists, a 2x Bug resist, a Delphox, a Blastoise, and an HM slave. His Crustle took down my Blastoise because I didn't have any decent special moves on him, and nearly took down Delphox too. Against Flareon I tried to Fire Blast with Delphox (I forgot it had Flash Fire), and it killed me with Flare Blitz. Talonflame revenged him, and then Vaporeon came out. Flame Charge didn't KO. And then it used Signal Beam. >.< Thank goodness for Eviolite Floette's special bulk (and the fact I remembered not to use Petal Dance), because otherwise I would have been swept.

sky Battles: When your only Sky battle mon is Talonflame, it's kinda hard to fight the last two Sky Trainers. One uses a Speed Boost Baton Pass Ninjask along with a Stone Edge Flygon (Talonflame barely survived the Stone Edges thanks to it being lv. 65 and Flygon being lv. 50), and another one with a Reflect Noctowl and a Stone Edge Aerodactyl (even lv. 73 vs. lv. 52 didn't help, I had to fight her twice and use X-Defends the second time). Also, there's that one early on with the Mantyke and Jumpluff but I never figured out how to activate that encounter until after I beat Coumarine Gym, so Talonflame kinda owned him.

Am I the only one who found the marowak fight in rby fr lg hard to this day not necessarily because of he battle but because of the emotions and deep meaning behind that fight that just makes it really hard to fight

Only Trainer(s) I ever truely felt powerless against, The two Ace Trainers at the end of Route 215 in Sinnoh (Right before Veilstone city), The Gyarados, Monferno and Kadabra were huge kicks in the face, Especially when your starter was Chimchar, Monferno is useless. I lost in that spot 5 god damn times before giving up training for 2-3 minutes and fighting them 1 on 1.

Was I the only one who in Sapphire destroyed Cooltrainer Jennifer with my Tropius... And then in Ruby with Sceptile... and then in Emerald with Altaria. I really loved her for Exp before the 6th gym...

Also the Hawlucha in the reflection cave... For anyone not using Exp. Share it was torturous, My highest was 3 levels lower and of course was Quilladin, got killed, Swept completely by a crazy Hawlucha, So I went and caught me a Honedge (I found out where to catch them at this stage) and trained him up to 3 levels below, No more Hawlucha.

That Youngster with the ekans just before mount moon in RBY screwed me over so many times it was unreal.

Of course I was like 6 at the time but y'know...

Only Trainer(s) I ever truely felt powerless against, The two Ace Trainers at the end of Route 215 in Sinnoh (Right before Veilstone city), The Gyarados, Monferno and Kadabra were huge kicks in the face, Especially when your starter was Chimchar, Monferno is useless. I lost in that spot 5 god damn times before giving up training for 2-3 minutes and fighting them 1 on 1.
I blitzed through them in my Speedrun with Monferno. Grass Knot is awesome.

Was I the only one who in Sapphire destroyed Cooltrainer Jennifer with my Tropius... And then in Ruby with Sceptile... and then in Emerald with Altaria. I really loved her for Exp before the 6th gym...

Also the Hawlucha in the reflection cave... For anyone not using Exp. Share it was torturous, My highest was 3 levels lower and of course was Quilladin, got killed, Swept completely by a crazy Hawlucha, So I went and caught me a Honedge (I found out where to catch them at this stage) and trained him up to 3 levels below, No more Hawlucha.
Honedge is something everyone must run in-game. It's just that good. Also I don't know how you would have beaten Korrina without Honedge, so kudos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)