Hariyama

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
[OVERVIEW]

Hariyama finds a place for itself in RU with good 144 / 60 / 60 bulk and Thick Fat, which allows it to reliably check threats such as Sneasel and Houndoom that can otherwise be troublesome for offensive teams. It also has a good offensive typing as well as decent coverage with moves such as Knock Off and Heavy Slam. However, Hariyama has a poor base 50 Speed meaning that it will usually have to take a hit before it can attack. On top of that, it has competition from other Fighting-types in the tier such as Emboar. It also has no way to regain health without Drain Punch, so it needs Wish support to repeatedly switch into the Pokemon it wants to, making it very prone to being worn down. Lastly, its main STAB attack, Close Combat, lowers its important defensive stats.

[SET]
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Heavy Slam / Bullet Punch
move 4: Ice Punch / Fake Out
item: Assault Vest
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Adamant
evs: 220 Atk / 152 Def / 136 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat hits targets that don't resist it hard coming off of Hariyama's solid 120 Attack stat and is easy to spam late-game when Fighting-resistant foes are gone or weakened. Knock Off provides good coverage alongside Close Combat as well as utility by getting rid of Leftovers from Hariyama's switch-ins. Heavy Slam rounds out Hariyama's coverage, hitting Fairy-types hard, while Bullet Punch can be used to pick off weakened targets as well as Focus Sash and Sturdy users such as Sawk. Ice Punch hits Amoonguss and Venusaur harder than any of Hariyama's other moves, making them a lot less problematic, while Fake Out can provide decent chip damage.

Set Details
========

152 Defense EVs allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Sneasel's Low Kick as well as the 2HKO from Mega Glalie's Double-Edge after Spikes damage. 136 Special Defense EVs with an Assault Vest allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Flygon's Earth Power as well as the OHKO from Choice Specs Meloetta. The rest is put into Attack to make Hariyama hit as hard as possible. Thick Fat gives Hariyama an invaluable pseudo-resistance to Ice and Fire.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Hariyama in against Pokemon such as Houndoom that can't do much against it and fire off Close Combats if there are few Fighting-resistant Pokemon on the opposing team. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple switch-ins, getting rid of Leftovers and the like. Knock Off is going to be used more often during the early- and mid-game, while late-game you can just use Close Combat. Hariyama usually performs best mid-game when it can weaken the opposing team as well as take advantage of already weakened Pokemon. Make sure to keep Hariyama healthy enough to take a hit in order to take advantage of Wish support. Keep Hariyama away from Scald, since burns wear it down and cut its Attack in half.

Team Options
========

Since Hariyama pressures Steel-types, Pokemon that can take advantage of this such as Fletchinder work well. Pokemon that have a good matchup versus Flying-types, such as Diancie, Manectric, and Mega Steelix, are also good teammates. Switch-ins to Psychic-types such as Spiritomb and Drapion can synergize well with Hariyama. Answers to Regenerator cores that Hariyama struggles with are useful. Sigilyph provides a good answer to Poison-types and can be a great status absorber with Magic Guard, which is incredibly useful. Wish support allows Hariyama to repeatedly switch into what it wants to check, and Alomomola in particular is a good answer to Fletchinder.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Hariyama can run a Belly Drum set, which can be problematic for bulkier teams to face, but this is somewhat gimmicky. It can also run a Sheer Force set but is outclassed by other Fighting-type wallbreakers in that regard. A SubPunch set is an option due to Hariyama's massive HP but is unreliable. Guts can be run, but Thick Fat provides Hariyama with its main niche in RU. Cross Chop can be run over Close Combat to avoid lowering Hariyama's defenses, but its iffy accuracy and lower Base Power make Close Combat more reliable. Force Palm is also an option to potentially spread status, but it is significantly weaker. Lastly, Stone Edge is an option that allows Hariyama to OHKO Fletchinder.

Checks and Counters
============

**Flying-types**: Fletchinder outspeeds Hariyama and can do massive damage with its Flying-type STAB move. Togetic and Golbat both 4x resist Fighting-type attacks but don't appreciate their items being removed and then having to take a Ice Punch or Heavy Slam.

**Psychic-types**: Similarly to Flying-types, Psychic-types can do lots of damage to Hariyama. Colbur Berry Slowking and Musharna deserve special mentions, since they don't fear Knock Off.

**Poison-types**: Pokemon such as Qwilfish and Amoonguss don't fear much except for Earthquake and Ice Punch, respectively. However, both of them don't like their items being removed.

**Spiritomb**: Spiritomb can take anything Hariyama throws at it and then cripple it with a burn.

**Granbull**: Granbull resists Fighting-type attacks and has good physical bulk, allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from Heavy Slam. However, if it has a bit of prior damage Heavy Slam can potentially 2HKO.

**Mawile**: Mawile avoids the 2HKO from Close Combat with Intimidate and can do a lot of damage with Play Rough or set up Stealth Rock.

**Status**: Burns and Toxic poison wear down, Hariyama with burns also reducing it's attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
explain why you would run either Thick Fat or Guts on the Bulky Attacker set.
there are way more checks and counters to Hariyama than the ones you losted, like: Psychic-types, Spiritomb, physical walls like Alomomola or Amoonguss, and Poison-types such as Qwilfish, Venusaur (i guess), Garbodor and Weezing.
you really need to phrase this better, the GP team is gonna be annoyed if they see this, but that'll get fixed later i assume.
I've never used it but the Sheer Force LO set seems really gimmicky and not worth a set.
for Flying-types in C&C, add Togetic (and maybe Golbay since it's C-rank, idk what the cutoff is)
Add Granbull and defensive Mawile (or Fairy-types) to C&C, as they both don't take much from Heavy Slam or CC after an Intimidate

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
explain why you would run either Thick Fat or Guts on the Bulky Attacker set.
there are way more checks and counters to Hariyama than the ones you losted, like: Psychic-types, Spiritomb, physical walls like Alomomola or Amoonguss, and Poison-types such as Qwilfish, Venusaur (i guess), Garbodor and Weezing.
you really need to phrase this better, the GP team is gonna be annoyed if they see this, but that'll get fixed later i assume.
I've never used it but the Sheer Force LO set seems really gimmicky and not worth a set.
for Flying-types in C&C, add Togetic (and maybe Golbay since it's C-rank, idk what the cutoff is)
Add Granbull and defensive Mawile (or Fairy-types) to C&C, as they both don't take much from Heavy Slam or CC after an Intimidate
Added most of those to the analysis (except mention of mawile cause it's not really relevant :/).

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Want to see what other people think about the sheer force set cause I think it has potential. I slashed it out for the meantime but I didn't completely remove it.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, let's dive into this:

[Overview]

- Mention the strong attackers Yama can check reliably (Houndoom, Mega Glalie, Sneasel, Abomasnow

[Bulky Attacker]

- Stone Edge and Bullet Punch should not be slashed imo. Maybe moves mentions, but no slash. Should be Fake Out / Ice Punch imo. Fake Out also stalls for TSpikes damage. Ice Punch punishes Defog Flygon and hits Amoonguss / Venusaur hard, which is kinda big considering that's on about 20% of teams you face
- Remove Guts entirely. This set needs Thick Fat to check what it needs to beat. Besides, status only wears it down quicker.
- Remove the 4 Speed EVs. Speed creep isn't allowed in on-site analyses. Maybe mention moving a few EVs to Speed due to a crowded Speed tier, but it can't be in the actual given spread.
- Mention switch-ins to Psychic-types since they can cut through Yama. Stuff like Spiritomb, Drapion, and Scrafty work fine
- Flying-type checks for similar reasons. Diancie, Registeel, and Mega Steelix are fine
- Spiritomb cripples you and lives Knock Off easily. Diancie, Houndoom, and Aromatisse can work here
- Sigilyph is a great offensive partner. It loves not having to deal with Houndoom, Mega Glalie, and Sneasel and beats all the passive Poison-types that can tank Yama's moves
- Wish Support from Alomomola or Aromatisse is nice since Yama lacks recovery of any kind

Remove Sheer Force. Completely outclassed by most other Fighting-type wallbreakers due to its low Speed. Should be OO

[Other Options]

- SubPunch should be somewhere here. It's not great, but it's probably better than Bulk Up tbh

[Checks and Counters]

- As Shadestep mentioned, fat Poisons are actually the best switch-ins for Hariyama as it tends to lack coverage on them. Qwilfish is most notable due to Intimidate, but Amoonguss is also important
- Faster Psychics can't come in due to fear of Knock Off (unless they pack Colbur Berry) but they can revenge kill or do a hell of a lot with their STABs to render Hariyama useless as it can't switch into much after
- Status sucks as Yama lacks reliable recovery
- Mawile is definitely relevant, so add it. Like, it's p. easy to switch into for your team, but it's definitely relevant to beat Tyrantrum without fail.

not qc but here are the things i would change:

- emphasize how important it is that yama counters houndoom and walls mega glalie as those pokemon are pretty hard to have a solid answer to.
- i'd also note sneasel there, altho sneasel is a lot easier to check because mega lix / bulky waters handle it well
- acknowledge that hariyama is easily worn down because it has no recovery, which is one of its main flaws.
- stone edge should be removed from in the overview because it's not on the set, however, it should definitely be in other options so you can do something to fletchinder
- i don't think you should say that ice punch hits any flying-types - close combat / knock off / heavy slam hit all of the flying-types harder anyways. the true reason you use ice punch is so you don't get walled by venusaur.

EonX
- i don't see how tspikes helps hariyama enough to be relevant to mention. it's not a particularly good strategy in general right now because of how good flygon and refresh blastoise is (its ok on scarf drapion as a filler but idt tspikes qwilfish is good right now or in general), and a lot of poison-types that soak up toxic spikes switchin to hariyama easy anyways. it just seems like really specific support for a pokemon that 1) probably isn't good enough to warrant tspikes support 2) doesn't take advantage of it enough to warrant it.
- fake out also seems kinda bad to me bc it's so weak and i dont think you really _need_ the priority that much anyways. i don't think it should be slashed. bullet punch is probably better because you aren't forced to use it the 1st turn it comes out.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not QC but Im gonna propose some minimal changes on the ev spread and to point out some more stuff:

• The section of set details which mention what the ev spreads does is incorrect. Sneasel doesnt 2hko hariyama with low kick, it still has a 25% chance to die to a +1 life orb high jump kick and double edge from mega glalie hits harder than earthquake even though you technically resist it and it still 3hkos so I would propose a small change on the spread.
  • EVs: 220 Atk / 152 Def / 136 SpD. Makes mega glalie double edge still a 3hko even with spikes up, low kick from sneasel still only 3hkos and while shakier against life orb dragon dance scrafty you were still a shaky check with the previous spread (still lives a +1 high jump kick from chople variants really easily). This spread also has the ability to take this : 252 SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Psychic vs. 0 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 362-428 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Even then, the emphasis on this section should be changed. "Defensive investment makes sneasel low kick a 3hko and avoid the 2hko from mega glalie double edge after spikes damage" would be more appropiate
  • Another thing would be making emphasis into which wish passers goes well with it, it pairs really well with alomomola since the fish is a nice check to fletchinder and has the potential to knock off the items of psychic types that annoy hariyama.

Looking great so far, keep it up!

hey

i think bp deserves a mention over slam (secondary slash probably). if current faeries were more consistent performers then i'd be less for it, but honestly aromatisse is a much better pokemon on paper than it is in practice (not gonna overstep on that b.c i think there's a bandwagon on that now, but there's a reason nobody was spl'ing w/it) and tic is decent but not the end of the world to be walled by. there's def.a negative stigma around bp + fake out yama, but being able to stray away from the blow-for-blow sequences a non-priority yama has to take in order to check stuff really relieves some necessity from it to be super healthy to check certain mons that it maybe isn't resisting. bp in particular picking off the pertinent ices has loads of utility if your water isn't still-holding-lefties-and-unstatused momo levels of sturdy, and while i wouldn't directly mention tspikes (b.c they aren't fantastic atm, it's more something garbodor /can/ slot to either pressure a dude to maintain and / or actively switch in his / her own poison), the amount of residuals they can rack in association w/status can certainly force dmg.

if you're gonna be mentioning cc alternatives in oo (which is cool), i'd give a quick shout-out to force palm. generally the swap is ill-advised b.c vanilla goodstuffs like av users wanna be making more gainful turns w/the high-powered attacks to accommodate bein sorta 1-dimensional, but the ability to fish para's out of certain 'mons can actually set up some uniquely beneficial situations for the yama user. you'd be surprised how much more threatening ur ada lix can be to the opp whose momo, venu, w.e has been para'ed and / or knocked.

i'd probably skip out on mentioning brav as a check, it's not a bigger eater of cc's. you can also probably add musharna to the psychic list, drop mawile (idk? i mean it eats some hits but just feels like an improper option for it haha), and omit the bit about physical wallbreakers for being just kinda nebulous and unnecessary.

after that, 1/3. unless i'm off the team now, but actually count my check anyway

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a couple of things to make sure you flesh out during write-up:

[Overview]

- Don't really mention Guts or Sheer Force since Thick Fat is the only ability that should really see usage.

[Assault Vest]

- Also note that Manectric can pick apart Regenerator cores with decent prediction and isn't a sturdy check to Flying-types

QC Approved 2/3

Hey just something I noticed something; since Guts is no longer mentioned in Set Details you should really give a mention to the Toxic Orb Guts set in Other Options. This set is really really powerful and with Fake Out and Bullet Punch as possible priority moves, it can pick off weakened, faster mons too. Possible moves for this set would be Fake Out, Close Combat, Knock Off, Stone Edge, Ice Punch, Heavy Slam, and Bullet Punch. Not a great option in the current meta persay but it certainly fits with OO.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Hey just something I noticed something; since Guts is no longer mentioned in Set Details you should really give a mention to the Toxic Orb Guts set in Other Options. This set is really really powerful and with Fake Out and Bullet Punch as possible priority moves, it can pick off weakened, faster mons too. Possible moves for this set would be Fake Out, Close Combat, Knock Off, Stone Edge, Ice Punch, Heavy Slam, and Bullet Punch. Not a great option in the current meta persay but it certainly fits with OO.
I kinda brushed over it a bit. I personally wouldn't even bother with toxic orb and would still run AV for the very useful added bulk.

This is pretty good, but before I give you a third stamp, I'd expand on the Usage Tips section a little bit. You mentioned Wish support in the Introduction but mentioning that Hariyama should be kept healthy enough to directly switch in on the turn after Alomomola uses Wish sounds like a good idea to me. Also emphasize that Knock Off is typically going to be used more than Close Combat early to mid-game, most teams are pretty well-prepared for fighting types at the moment. Hariyama is cool because Knock Off and Heavy Slam (if you run it) allows it to bypass some of the typical fighting checks out there, such as Togetic. Appropriate use of Hariyama's coverage moves early cann allow it to pick up kills with Close Combat later in the game.

Mnetion in Moves that yama's priority can potentially help deal with Sash and sturdy users such as Sawk.

amcheck
add
remove
(comments)
AC = add comma
RC = remove comma

[OVERVIEW]

Hariyama finds a place for itself in RU with good bulk of 144/60/60 144 / 60 / 60 bulk and Thick Fat, (AC) which allows it to reliably check threats such as Sneasel and Houndoom, (AC) which can otherwise be troublesome for offensive teams. It also has a good offensive typing as well as decent coverage with moves such as Knock Off and Heavy Slam. However, (AC) Hariyama has a poor soeed stat with base 50 base 50 Speed meaning that it will usually have to take a hit before it can attack. On top of that, (AC) it has competition from other Fighting-types (Add hyphen) in the tier such as Emboar. It also has no way to get back health without Drain Punch, (AC) so it needs Wish passing to continuously switch into the mons Pokemon it wants to, (AC) making it very prone to being worn down. Lastly, (AC) it's (Remove apostrophe) main STAB attack, Close Combat, lowers Hariyama’s important defensive stats.

[SET]
evs: EVs: 220 Atk / 152 Def / 136 SpD

Moves
========
(Insert line break)
Close Combat hits targets who that don’t resist it hard with Hariyama’s solid 120 Attack stat and is easy to spam late-game (Add hyphen) when Fighting resists are gone or weakened. Knock Off provides good coverage alongside Close Combat as well as providing utility by getting rid of Leftovers from Hariyama’s switch-ins (Add hyphen). Heavy Slam rounds out Hariyama’s coverage, (AC) hitting Fairy-types (Add hyphen) hard, (AC) while Bullet Punch can be used to pick off weakened targets as well as Focus Sash and Sturdy users such as Sawk. Ice Punch hits Amoonguss and Venusaur harder then any of Hariyama’s other moves, (AC) making them a lot less problematic, (AC) while Fake Out can provide decent chip damage.

Set Details
========
(Insert line break)
152 Defense EVs allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Sneasel’s Low Kick as well as the 2HKO from Mega Glalie’s Double-Edge after Spikes damage. 136 Special Defense EVs with an Assault Vest allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Flygon’s Earth Power as well as the OHKO from Choice Specs Meloetta. The rest is put into Attack to make Hariyama hit as hard as possible. Thick Fat gives you an invaluable pseudo-resistance to Ice-type and Fire-type attacks.

Usage Tips
========
(Insert line break)
Bring Hariyama in against mons Pokemon such as Houndoom which that can’t do much and fire off Close Combats if there are few Fighting resists. Otherwise, (AC) use Knock Off to cripple switch-ins, (AC) (Add hyphen) getting rid of Leftovers and the like. Knock Off is going to be used more often during the early to mid game early- and mid-game while late-game (Add hyphen) you can just wack stuff with use Close Combat. Hariyama usually performs best in the mid-game when it can weaken things as well as take advantage of already weakened things Pokemon. Make sure to keep Hariyama healthy enough so it can still to take a hit in order to take advantage of Wish support. Keep Hariyama away from Scalds since burns wear it down and cut its (Remove apostrophe) attack in half.

Team Options
========
(Insert line break)
Since Hariyama pressures Steel-types, (AC) (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase) mons Pokemon that can take advantage of this such as Fletchinder work well. Mons Pokemon that have a good matchup vs Flying-types such as Diancie, Manectric, and Mega Steelix work well. Switch-ins (Add hyphen) to Psychic-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase) such as Spiritomb and Drapion can synergize well with Hariyama. Answers to Regenerator cores which that Hariyama struggles with are useful. Sigilyph provides a good answer to Poison-types (Add hyphen) and can be a great status absorber with Magic Guard, (AC) which is incredibly useful. Wish support allows Hariyama to repeatedly switchin to switch into what it wants to check, (AC) and Alomomola in particular is a good answer to Fletchinder.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
(Remove line break)
Other Options
============
(Insert line break)
Hariyama can run a Belly Drum set, (AC) which can be problematic for bulkier teams to face, (AC) but is somewhat gimmicky. Hariyama can also run a Sheer Force set but is outclassed by other Fighting-type (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase) wallbreakers in that regard. Hariyama can run a SubPunch set due to it’s massive HP but is unreliable. Guts can be run but Thick Fat provides Hariyama's with its main niche in RU. Cross Chop can be run over Close Combat to not lower your Defenses, (AC) but its (Remove apostrophe) iffy accuracy and lower Base Power make Close Combat more reliable. Force Palm is also an option to potentially spread status, (AC) but it is significantly weaker. Lastly, (AC) Stone Edge is an option which that allows Hariyama to OHKO Fletchinder.

Checks and Counters
============

**Flying-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase)**: Fletchinder can do massive damage to Hariyama with it's (Remove apostrophe) Flying-type STAB move and outspeed Hariyama. Togetic as well as Golbat both 4x resist Fighting-type attacks but both don't appreciate their items gone being removed and then having to take a Heavy Slam or Ice Punch Ice Punch/Heavy Slam.

**Psychic-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase)**: Similarly to Flying-types, (AC) (Add hyphen) they Psychic-types can do lots of damage to Hariyama. Colbur Berry Slowking and /Musharna deserve a special mentions since they don't fear Knock Off.

**Poison-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase)**: Mons Pokemon such as Qwilfish and Amoonguss don't fear much besides except for Ice Punch or Earthquake, (AC) respectively. (I think you have the order wrong. It should be: Qwilfish and Amoonguss don't fear much except for Earthquake or Ice Punch, respectively. Qwilfish to Earthquake, and Amoonguss to Ice Punch.) However, (AC) both of them don't like their items being removed.

**Spiritomb**: It Spiritomb can take anything Hariyama throws at it and then cripple it with a burn.

**Granbull**: Granbull resists Fighting-type attacks and has good physical bulk, (AC) allowing it to just avoid the 2HKO from Heavy Slam. However if it has a bit of prior damage then Heavy Slam can potentially 2HKO.

**Mawile**: It Mawile avoids the 2HKO from Close Combat with Intimidate and can Play Rough, (AC) doing a lot of damage, (AC) or set up (Add a space in between set up) Stealth Rocks.

**Status**: Burns and Toxic wear down Hariyama as well as with burns reduce it's attack.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
amcheck
add
remove
(comments)
AC = add comma
RC = remove comma

[OVERVIEW]

Hariyama finds a place for itself in RU with good bulk of 144/60/60 144 / 60 / 60 bulk and Thick Fat, (AC) which allows it to reliably check threats such as Sneasel and Houndoom, (AC) which can otherwise be troublesome for offensive teams. It also has a good offensive typing as well as decent coverage with moves such as Knock Off and Heavy Slam. However, (AC) Hariyama has a poor soeed stat with base 50 base 50 Speed meaning that it will usually have to take a hit before it can attack. On top of that, (AC) it has competition from other Fighting-types (Add hyphen) in the tier such as Emboar. It also has no way to get back health without Drain Punch, (AC) so it needs Wish passing to continuously switch into the mons Pokemon it wants to, (AC) making it very prone to being worn down. Lastly, (AC) it's (Remove apostrophe) main STAB attack, Close Combat, lowers Hariyama’s important defensive stats.

[SET]
evs: EVs: 220 Atk / 152 Def / 136 SpD

Moves
========
(Insert line break)
Close Combat hits targets who that don’t resist it hard with Hariyama’s solid 120 Attack stat and is easy to spam late-game (Add hyphen) when Fighting resists are gone or weakened. Knock Off provides good coverage alongside Close Combat as well as providing utility by getting rid of Leftovers from Hariyama’s switch-ins (Add hyphen). Heavy Slam rounds out Hariyama’s coverage, (AC) hitting Fairy-types (Add hyphen) hard, (AC) while Bullet Punch can be used to pick off weakened targets as well as Focus Sash and Sturdy users such as Sawk. Ice Punch hits Amoonguss and Venusaur harder then any of Hariyama’s other moves, (AC) making them a lot less problematic, (AC) while Fake Out can provide decent chip damage.

Set Details
========
(Insert line break)
152 Defense EVs allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Sneasel’s Low Kick as well as the 2HKO from Mega Glalie’s Double-Edge after Spikes damage. 136 Special Defense EVs with an Assault Vest allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Flygon’s Earth Power as well as the OHKO from Choice Specs Meloetta. The rest is put into Attack to make Hariyama hit as hard as possible. Thick Fat gives you an invaluable pseudo-resistance to Ice-type and Fire-type attacks.

Usage Tips
========
(Insert line break)
Bring Hariyama in against mons Pokemon such as Houndoom which that can’t do much and fire off Close Combats if there are few Fighting resists. Otherwise, (AC) use Knock Off to cripple switch-ins, (AC) (Add hyphen) getting rid of Leftovers and the like. Knock Off is going to be used more often during the early to mid game early- and mid-game while late-game (Add hyphen) you can just wack stuff with use Close Combat. Hariyama usually performs best in the mid-game when it can weaken things as well as take advantage of already weakened things Pokemon. Make sure to keep Hariyama healthy enough so it can still to take a hit in order to take advantage of Wish support. Keep Hariyama away from Scalds since burns wear it down and cut its (Remove apostrophe) attack in half.

Team Options
========
(Insert line break)
Since Hariyama pressures Steel-types, (AC) (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase) mons Pokemon that can take advantage of this such as Fletchinder work well. Mons Pokemon that have a good matchup vs Flying-types such as Diancie, Manectric, and Mega Steelix work well. Switch-ins (Add hyphen) to Psychic-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase) such as Spiritomb and Drapion can synergize well with Hariyama. Answers to Regenerator cores which that Hariyama struggles with are useful. Sigilyph provides a good answer to Poison-types (Add hyphen) and can be a great status absorber with Magic Guard, (AC) which is incredibly useful. Wish support allows Hariyama to repeatedly switchin to switch into what it wants to check, (AC) and Alomomola in particular is a good answer to Fletchinder.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
(Remove line break)
Other Options
============
(Insert line break)
Hariyama can run a Belly Drum set, (AC) which can be problematic for bulkier teams to face, (AC) but is somewhat gimmicky. Hariyama can also run a Sheer Force set but is outclassed by other Fighting-type (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase) wallbreakers in that regard. Hariyama can run a SubPunch set due to it’s massive HP but is unreliable. Guts can be run but Thick Fat provides Hariyama's with its main niche in RU. Cross Chop can be run over Close Combat to not lower your Defenses, (AC) but its (Remove apostrophe) iffy accuracy and lower Base Power make Close Combat more reliable. Force Palm is also an option to potentially spread status, (AC) but it is significantly weaker. Lastly, (AC) Stone Edge is an option which that allows Hariyama to OHKO Fletchinder.

Checks and Counters
============

**Flying-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase)**: Fletchinder can do massive damage to Hariyama with it's (Remove apostrophe) Flying-type STAB move and outspeed Hariyama. Togetic as well as Golbat both 4x resist Fighting-type attacks but both don't appreciate their items gone being removed and then having to take a Heavy Slam or Ice Punch Ice Punch/Heavy Slam.

**Psychic-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase)**: Similarly to Flying-types, (AC) (Add hyphen) they Psychic-types can do lots of damage to Hariyama. Colbur Berry Slowking and /Musharna deserve a special mentions since they don't fear Knock Off.

**Poison-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase)**: Mons Pokemon such as Qwilfish and Amoonguss don't fear much besides except for Ice Punch or Earthquake, (AC) respectively. (I think you have the order wrong. It should be: Qwilfish and Amoonguss don't fear much except for Earthquake or Ice Punch, respectively. Qwilfish to Earthquake, and Amoonguss to Ice Punch.) However, (AC) both of them don't like their items being removed.

**Spiritomb**: It Spiritomb can take anything Hariyama throws at it and then cripple it with a burn.

**Granbull**: Granbull resists Fighting-type attacks and has good physical bulk, (AC) allowing it to just avoid the 2HKO from Heavy Slam. However if it has a bit of prior damage then Heavy Slam can potentially 2HKO.

**Mawile**: It Mawile avoids the 2HKO from Close Combat with Intimidate and can Play Rough, (AC) doing a lot of damage, (AC) or set up (Add a space in between set up) Stealth Rocks.

**Status**: Burns and Toxic wear down Hariyama as well as with burns reduce it's attack.
edited in these

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
all of these apostrophes: ’ need to be these: '
I did a find and replace but yeah for future reference

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Hariyama finds a place for itself in RU with good 144 / 60 / 60 bulk and Thick Fat, which allows it to reliably check threats such as Sneasel and Houndoom, which can otherwise be troublesome for offensive teams. It also has a good offensive typing as well as decent coverage with moves such as Knock Off and Heavy Slam. However, Hariyama has a poor base 50 Speed, meaning that it will usually have to take a hit before it can attack. On top of that, it has competition from other Fighting-types in the tier such as Emboar. It also has no way to get back regain health without Drain Punch, so it needs Wish support passing to continuously repeatedly switch into the Pokemon it wants to, making it very prone to being worn down. Lastly, its main STAB attack, Close Combat, lowers its Hariyama's important defensive stats.

[SET]

Moves
========

Close Combat hits targets that don't resist it hard coming off of with Hariyama's solid 120 Attack stat and is easy to spam late-game when Fighting-resistant foes resists are gone or weakened. Knock Off provides good coverage alongside Close Combat as well as providing utility by getting rid of Leftovers from Hariyama's switch-ins. Heavy Slam rounds out Hariyama's coverage, hitting Fairy-types hard, while Bullet Punch can be used to pick off weakened targets as well as Focus Sash and Sturdy users such as Sawk. Ice Punch hits Amoonguss and Venusaur harder then than any of Hariyama's other moves, making them a lot less problematic, while Fake Out can provide decent chip damage.

Set Details
========

152 Defense EVs allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Sneasel's Low Kick as well as the 2HKO from Mega Glalie's Double-Edge after Spikes damage. 136 Special Defense EVs with an Assault Vest allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Flygon's Earth Power as well as the OHKO from Choice Specs Meloetta. The rest is put into Attack to make Hariyama hit as hard as possible. Thick Fat gives you it an invaluable pseudo-resistance to Ice-type and Fire-type attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Hariyama in against Pokemon such as Houndoom that can't do much against it and fire off Close Combats if there are few Fighting-resistant Pokemon on the opposing team resists. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple switch-ins, getting rid of Leftovers and the like. Knock Off is going to be used more often during the early- and mid-game, (AC) while late-game you can just use with Close Combat. Hariyama usually performs best mid-game when it can weaken as well as take advantage of already weakened Pokemon. Make sure to keep Hariyama healthy enough to take a hit in order to take advantage of Wish support. Keep Hariyama away from Scalds, (AC) since burns wear it down and cut its Attack in half.

Team Options
========

Since Hariyama pressures Steel-types, Pokemon that can take advantage of this such as Fletchinder work well. Pokemon that have a good matchup versus Flying-types, (AC) such as Diancie, Manectric, and Mega Steelix, are also good teammates work well. Switch-ins to Psychic-types such as Spiritomb and Drapion can synergize well with Hariyama. Answers to Regenerator cores that Hariyama struggles with are useful. Sigilyph provides a good answer to Poison-types and can be a great status absorber with Magic Guard, which is incredibly useful. Wish support allows Hariyama to repeatedly switch into what it wants to check, (AC) and Alomomola in particular is a good answer to Fletchinder.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Hariyama can run a Belly Drum set, which can be problematic for bulkier teams to face, but this is somewhat gimmicky. It Hariyama can also run a Sheer Force set but is outclassed by other Fighting-type wallbreakers in that regard. Hariyama can run a A SubPunch set is an option due to it's Hariyama's massive HP but is unreliable. Guts can be run, (AC) but Thick Fat provides Hariyama's with its main niche in RU. Cross Chop can be run over Close Combat to avoid lowering Hariyama's defenses not lower your Defenses, but its iffy accuracy and lower Base Power make Close Combat more reliable. Force Palm is also an option to potentially spread status, but it is significantly weaker. Lastly, Stone Edge is an option that allows Hariyama to OHKO Fletchinder.

Checks and Counters
============

**Flying-types**: Fletchinder outspeeds Hariyama can do massive damage to Hariyama with its Flying-type STAB move and outspeed Hariyama. Togetic as well as and Golbat both 4x resist Fighting-type attacks but don't appreciate their items being removed and then having to take a Ice Punch or Heavy Slam.

**Psychic-types**: Similarly to Flying-types, Psychic-types can do lots of damage to Hariyama. Colbur Berry Slowking and Musharna deserve special mentions, (AC) since they don't fear Knock Off.

**Poison-types**: Pokemon such as Qwilfish and Amoonguss don't fear much except for Ice Punch or Earthquake and Ice Punch, respectively. Qwilfish to Earthquake, and Amoonguss to Ice Punch. However, both of them don't like their items being removed.

**Spiritomb**: Spiritomb can take anything Hariyama throws at it and then cripple it with a burn.

**Granbull**: Granbull resists Fighting-type attacks and has good physical bulk, allowing it to just avoid the 2HKO from Heavy Slam. However, (AC) if it has a bit of prior damage then Heavy Slam can potentially 2HKO.

**Mawile**: Mawile avoids the 2HKO from Close Combat with Intimidate and can do a lot of damage with Play Rough, doing a lot of damage, or set up Stealth Rock.

**Status**: Burns and Toxic poison wear down Hariyama, (AC) as well as with burns also reducing its Attack reduce it's attack.

Eien
So you got a lot right, which is great, but I won't comment on all the stuff you did right because then it'd just be me quoting stuff and saying "nice!" over and over again lol. So here are the notes I do have:
It also has no way to get back health without Drain Punch, (AC) so it needs Wish passing to continuously switch into the mons Pokemon it wants to, (AC) making it very prone to being worn down.
Continuously means "without stopping", and Hariyama isn't going to be switching in without stopping. People mix this one up a lot with continually, which primarily means "repeatedly / regularly" (though it apparently can also mean "without stopping"). But yeah, make sure to look out for people saying "continuously" or "constantly" when they actually mean "continually" or "consistently".
Close Combat hits targets who that don’t resist it hard with Hariyama’s solid 120 Attack stat and is easy to spam late-game (Add hyphen) when Fighting resists are gone or weakened.
[type] resists isn't allowed. This is for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's an informal abbreviation of "resistances", so that's already bad. Secondly, "resistances" aren't Pokemon, they're resistances. Correct uses of resistances: Sableye only has one resistance; Steelix's many resistances are very useful; Take advantage of Feraligatr's resistances, etc. It's not an okay substitution for "thing that resists x". Same goes for immunities: "Water immunities" is not okay; immunities are immunities, not Pokemon.

So when you see stuff like that, you can change it to "x-resistant Pokemon/foes/etc" or "Pokemon/foes/etc that resist x", like so:

Dark-resistant foes
A Pokemon that resists Fighting
Ground-immune Pokemon
Teammates that are immune to Poison
Thick Fat gives you an invaluable pseudo-resistance to Ice-type and Fire-type attacks.
Hmm, I can sooorta buy an argument for "you" here over Hariyama, but overall I think it makes more sense to change it to Hariyama. I suppose "you" are gaining that resistance to your team, but yeah, Hariyama gaining the resistance makes more sense. Anyways, I wanted to point out this section because "resistance to Ice and Fire" is fine; you don't have to add "-type" to them.
Keep Hariyama away from Scalds since burns wear it down and cut its (Remove apostrophe) attack in half.
When "as" and "since" are being used causally (aka to mean "because"), they need commas before them. So like...

I decided to wear sandals because it was hot outside.
I decided to wear sandals, as it was hot outside.
I decided to wears sandals, since it was hot outside.

Without a comma, as can mean something like "while" (They threw rice at us as we drove away), and since can be read as like... "ever since" (I haven't eaten since lunch time). So when we want them to mean "because", we put the comma for clarity.

Also, the stat Attack is capitalized. Lowercase attack refers to like, a move, like Flamethrower or Giga Drain, etc.
Pokemon that have a good matchup vs Flying-types
I'd say "vs" is an informal abbreviation, not much trouble to change it to "versus".
Hariyama can run a SubPunch set due to it’s massive HP but is unreliable.
Its! I'll cut you some slack though because I think you just missed this because you were going quickly.
Cross Chop can be run over Close Combat to not lower your Defenses
Hariyama's defenses, not yours; you are the battler. Also, Defense refers to the physical defense stat; if you want to refer to both defenses, it's lowercase.
**Flying-types (Add hyphen and make the t lowercase)**: Fletchinder can do massive damage to Hariyama with it's (Remove apostrophe) Flying-type STAB move and outspeed Hariyama.
Your changes are good, but I had another problem with the original writing here; it feels kind of weird to first say Fletchinder heavily damages Hariyama and then say it outspeeds. Let's pretend it said this: "Fletchinder can OHKO Hariyama and outspeed it". Well, okay, but it makes more sense to bring up the outspeeding thing first. That's why I moved around the order in my check.
Togetic as well as Golbat both 4x resist Fighting-type attacks
Just "Fighting" is fine. More importantly though, "Togetic as well as Golbat" is singular; "as well as" isn't the same as "and". Some other similar (and very common) cases:

Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant nature is recommended: singular, because "investment" is singular.

Maximum Attack investment along with an Adamant nature is recommended: singular, because "investment" is singular.

Maximum Attack investment on top of an Adamant nature is recommended: singular, because "investment" is singular.

Maximum Attack investment backed up by an Adamant nature is recommended: singular, because "investment" is singular.

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are recommended: plural, because "investment and nature" are plural.

So looking back at our original quote here, it doesn't make sense to say "Togetic both 4x resist Fighting".
I'm sure you can agree this looks kinda weird grammar wise. Pokemon wise, "attack" should be capitalized!

Last edited:
add remove comments
all of these apostrophes: ’ need to be these: '
implement checks using the reply button: click reply -> delete reds -> address comments -> deformat the blues using the Tx button in the upper left corner -> copypaste into the op (taken from tdp's post somewhere)
[OVERVIEW]

Hariyama finds a place for itself in RU with good 144 / 60 / 60 bulk and Thick Fat, which allows it to reliably check threats such as Sneasel and Houndoom, which that can otherwise be troublesome for offensive teams. It also has a good offensive typing as well as decent coverage with moves such as Knock Off and Heavy Slam. However, Hariyama has a poor base 50 Speed, (AC) meaning that it will usually have to take a hit before it can attack. On top of that, it has competition from other Fighting-types in the tier such as Emboar. It also has no way to regaim regain health without Drain Punch, so it needs Wish support to repeatedly switch into the Pokemon it wants to, making it very prone to being worn down. Lastly, its main STAB attack, Close Combat, lowers its important defensive stats.

[SET]

Moves
========

Close Combat hits targets that don’t don't resist it hard coming off of Hariyama's Hariyama’s solid 120 Attack stat and is easy to spam late-game when Fighting-resistant foes are gone or weakened. Knock Off provides good coverage alongside Close Combat as well as utility by getting rid of Leftovers from Hariyama’s Hariyama's switch-ins. Heavy Slam rounds out Hariyama’s Hariyama's coverage, hitting Fairy-types hard, while Bullet Punch can be used to pick off weakened targets as well as Focus Sash and Sturdy users such as Sawk. Ice Punch hits Amoonguss and Venusaur harder than any of Hariyama’s Hariyama's other moves, making them a lot less problematic, while Fake Out can provide decent chip damage.

Set Details
========

152 Defense EVs allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Sneasel’s Sneasel's Low Kick as well as the 2HKO from Mega Glalie’s Mega Glalie's Double-Edge after Spikes damage. 136 Special Defense EVs with an Assault Vest allow Hariyama to avoid the 3HKO from Flygon’s Flygon's Earth Power as well as the OHKO from Choice Specs Meloetta. The rest is put into Attack to make Hariyama hit as hard as possible. Thick Fat gives Hariyama you an invaluable pseudo-resistance to Ice and Fire.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Hariyama in against Pokemon such as Houndoom that can’t can't do much against it and fire off Close Combats if there are few Fighting-resistant Pokemon on the opposing team. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple switch-ins, getting rid of Leftovers and the like. Knock Off is going to be used more often during the early- and mid-game, while late-game you can just use Close Combat. Hariyama usually performs best mid-game when it can weaken the opposing team as well as take advantage of already weakened Pokemon. Make sure to keep Hariyama healthy enough to take a hit in order to take advantage of Wish support. Keep Hariyama away from Scald, since burns wear it down and cut its Attack in half.

Team Options
========

Since Hariyama pressures Steel-types, Pokemon that can take advantage of this such as Fletchinder work well. Pokemon that have a good matchup versus Flying-types, such as Diancie, Manectric, and Mega Steelix, are also good teammates. Switch-ins to Psychic-types such as Spiritomb and Drapion can synergize well with Hariyama. Answers to Regenerator cores that Hariyama struggles with are useful. Sigilyph provides a good answer to Poison-types and can be a great status absorber with Magic Guard, which is incredibly useful. Wish support allows Hariyama to repeatedly switch into what it wants to check, and Alomomola in particular is a good answer to Fletchinder.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Hariyama can run a Belly Drum set, which can be problematic for bulkier teams to face, but this is somewhat gimmicky. It can also run a Sheer Force set but is outclassed by other Fighting-type wallbreakers in that regard. A SubPunch set is an option due to Hariyama's massive HP but is unreliable. Guts can be run, but Thick Fat provides Hariyama with its main niche in RU. Cross Chop can be run over Close Combat to avoid lowering Hariyama's defenses, but its iffy accuracy and lower Base Power make Close Combat more reliable. Force Palm is also an option to potentially spread status, but it is significantly weaker. Lastly, Stone Edge is an option that allows Hariyama to OHKO Fletchinder.

Checks and Counters
============

**Flying-types**: Fletchinder outspeeds Hariyama and can do massive damage with its Flying-type STAB move. Togetic and Golbat both 4x resist Fighting-type attacks but don't appreciate their items being removed and then having to take a Ice Punch or Heavy Slam.

**Psychic-types**: Similarly to Flying-types, Psychic-types can do lots of damage to Hariyama. Colbur Berry Slowking and Musharna deserve special mentions, since they don't fear Knock Off.

**Poison-types**: Pokemon such as Qwilfish and Amoonguss don't fear much except for Earthquake and Ice Punch, respectively. However, both of them don't like their items being removed.

**Granbull**: Granbull resists Fighting-type attacks and has good physical bulk, allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from Heavy Slam. However, if it has a bit of prior damage Heavy Slam can potentially 2HKO.

**Mawile**: Mawile avoids the 2HKO from Close Combat with Intimidate and can do a lot of damage with Play Rough or set up Stealth Rock.

**Status**: Burns and Toxic poison wear down, Hariyama with burns also reducing it's attack.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)