1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Hate rain, but use it

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Ubiquitous, May 27, 2012.

1. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Having taken a looooong break from playing competitive Pokemon (mainly just screwing about with Nuzlocke challenges, or not playing at all) I've decided to return, and with the metagame having changed a fair bit, especially with the bans of Excadrill and Thundurus while I've been away, I really need some help finding my footing again.
    I absolutely hated weather teams. Whenever I built teams in the past, they were always non-weather, and I always tried to counter other weather teams by putting dedicated counters to the usual abusers in (e.g HP Ice Bronzong for sand teams). However when I tried again to replicate this, it didn't work, so I decided to have a shot at building my first BW rain team.
    This team has worked OK for me, but rather than trying to identify flaws with my noob's eye, I decided to post this RMT to let better players point them out.

Meet the team​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Politoed @ Leftovers
    252HP / 252SpA / 4SpD
    Ability: Drizzle
    Nature: Modest
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power (Electric)
    -Perish Song

Well, I used to hate him... that was before the Swift Swim/Drizzle ban. Now of course he is the most important member of the team, setting up infinite rain. I chose the hard-hitting bulky set because it gave me a reliable mix of strength and sponging ability. Hydro Pump in the rain is no joke. HP Electric was a replacement for Focus Blast after I had a nasty encounter with a Taunt+DD Gyarados which then proceeded to demolish my team. Now Politoed can spring a surprise when Gyarados gets a bit greedy with Dragon Dances. Perish Song is excellent, forcing out dangerous setup sweepers that could seriously hurt the team.

[​IMG]

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    252HP / 84Atk / 80Def / 92SpD
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Sassy
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earthquake

Standard Bronzong. This spot was previously occupied by Skarmory and Forretress, but I decided to go back to my favourite Zong set. He's my Stealth Rocker (obviously) and my go-to to tank the Dragons that are roaming the metagame. This is why I have HP Ice on the set, because Gyro Ball simply doesn't hit Dragonite or Gliscor hard enough. I'm considering replacing Gyro Ball with Toxic, after a fifty turn stall war with a Gastrodon (which I eventually won). Earthquake lets me hit other Steels hard, like Jirachi and Heatran (who will often just go for Stealth Rocks after switching into Bronzong, and EQ puts a huge dent in it).

QUESTION: Should I modify the set to fit in Toxic?

[​IMG]

Toxicroak @Leftovers
    244HP / 252Atk / 12Def
    Ability: Dry Skin
    Nature: Adamant
    - Substitute
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Sucker Punch

As the only strong physical attacker on the team, Toxicroak is rather important. He handles Scizor brilliantly, setting up on Choice-locked variants. Sucker Punch is absolutely perfect for revenging things like Latios, opposing Starmie and Gengar. Substitute protects it from status, and the HP used up to make one is almost completely negated by Dry Skin + Leftovers recovery. This in combination with Drain Punch's recovery makes it extremely durable. He also removes the deadly Toxic Spikes from the field upon switching in.

[​IMG]

Volcarona @ Leftovers
    252SpA / 4SpD / 252Spe
    Ability: Flame Body
    - Quiver Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Hurricane
    - Fire Blast

Drizzle Volcarona is good, don't get me wrong. It smashes VoltTurn into little pieces (Bug Buzz 2HKOes CS Rotom-W, Fire Blast fries Scizor, even in the rain) as well as hurting Ferrothorn etc, but if there is a better alternative then I would love to know, because the vulnerability to hazards is a liability and forces me to run a spinner, which is a pain. I could try to run a bulkier EV spread, but I'll need some suggestions...

QUESTION: Should I modify the EV spread on this thing, or replace it completely?

[​IMG]

Shaymin @ Leftovers
    252HP / 76SpA / 180Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Seed Flare
    - Earth Power

To sponge the Grass and Electric type attacks that put dents in Politoed and Starmie, I elected to use SubSeed Shaymin, which is sturdy and has the deadly Seed Flare to take chunks out of bulky Waters and Gastrodon. Earth Power is to murder Heatran, mainly. I'm looking at various candidates to replace Shaymin though. Celebi seems like an attractive proposition, with better support moves in its arsenal.

QUESTION: Should I replace Shaymin with something else, maybe Celebi? If so, which set would be most effective?

[​IMG]

Starmie @ Leftovers
    252SpA / 4SpD / 252Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Timid
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunder
    - Ice Beam

I'll be honest, Starmie's only on the team because I wanted Bronzong over Forretress and I needed a spinner that would function well in rain. Starmie gets the nod for rain-boosted STAB Hydro Pump and 100% accurate Thunder. He's a great spinner and revenge killer, but if I remove Volcarona from the team, the rest of the bunch don't really require a spinner, as I have no other SR-weak Pokes. If Volcarona is removed, Starmie goes with it - but I will need another revenge killer, probably a Choice Scarf user.

QUESTION: If Volcarona goes, which revenge killer would work best with the rest of the team?​

Thanks for reading - answers to the questions, prominent threats to the team, and improvements in general will all be appreciated and taken into account.
  2. Asek

Asek Mirror my malady, Transfer my tragedy
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Hello nice team.
    One small suggestion, Rain Dance> HP Ice on Bronzong. That way even if you lose your Politoed you can still set up rain
  3. labarith

labarith

Re: Bronzong - I'd go pure special on this guy, then it's easy to fit toxic.

Maybe swap Starmie for Tentacruel. Toxic Spikes and all that.
  4. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

This looks like it has the making of a hard hitting Rain offense team. Volcarona is good, but let's see what other mon's have potential?

While normally I would recommend Celebi>Shaymin, I think it has a nice fit on your team. Normally Chansey/Blissey can stay in on Celebi due to their immense special bulk, but its a different story for Shaymin. Thus, I would keep her on the team.

Now I wouldn't consider Toxic on Brongzong, however I would seriously consider putting Hypnosis on there. It can be unreliable at times, but I think it has a spot on an offensive team. Against an offensive team, a sleeping Pokemon is a dead Pokemon with the new sleep mechanics since they will always been pressed to switch out or being KO'ed. I would put it in over EQ, but it is your decision and they are equally good.

I agree Volcarona is an akward match with this team, the Rapid Spin support isn't necessary. It also makes your team heavily dependent on Rain for offensive capability. You still need an answer to sun teams however, and I think this where Dragonite is a good fit even though it might require rapid spin support. I am going to suggest Bulky DD Nite instead of Volcarona. Dragonite can still abuse Multiscale with Roost even if there is SR down, and many Sun Sweepers have a lot of trouble getting past Bulky DD Nite. I would keep Rapid Spin>Recover on Starmie but it is up to you. Starmie is actually really good in the rain, and I think your team needs it for speed.

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Roost
  5. Sunflora

Sunflora

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

Is a possible solution also in my opinion.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)