evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • strong, fast, decent stabs makes a good special attacker
  • shadow ball targets the plethora of psychic-types in the tier
  • sludge bomb give near perfect coverage with shadow ball
  • it even has that useful poison chance
  • hp ground rounds out the coverage by obliterating metang and skuntank
  • destiny bond lets haunter take something down with it after it has gotten a kill

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • benefits with the support of fighting-types such as Primeape and Sawk as they can demolish Steel-types, Regice, and Skuntank
  • Seismitoad also makes a good partner for the above reasons, it can even take out Regirock while Haunter can deal with Grass-types that Seismitoad dislikes
  • Eelektross is also a good partner is it can destroy mandibuzz with its STAB moves and deal with most Ground-types
  • Golurk and Piloswine can set up Stealth Rock to help haunter sweep and deal with Regirock and Regice, respectively. Haunter can help the two out by taking down Alomomola
  • Haunter can take out Pokemon like Skuntank with Destiny Bond, this benefits pokemon such as Gardevoir and Choice Scarf Jynx

[SET]
name: SubDisable
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Disable
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Sludge Bomb
item: Black Sludge
nature: Timid
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
  • stops choice-locked attackers cold and pokemon such as Seismitoad that are dependent on a single move to hit Haunter
  • Substitute allows Haunter to avoid priority attacks, avoid being pursuit trapped, and revenge killed
  • Disable is where the magic happens; thanks to haunter's plentiful immunizes, it can abuse the sub-disable strategy to set up on walls or choiced attackers
  • Shadow Ball targets the likes of Golurk and Misdreavus, both of which resist haunter's other STAB
  • Sludge Bomb on the other hand can destroy normal types such as Kangaskhan and Zangoose

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • This set forces a lot of switches so using it along side entry hazard support is most optimal
  • not only does haunter benefit from the support of entry hazards it can also keep the from being blown away
  • Scolipede, Golem, and Seismitoad can all set up entry hazard to support Haunter
  • golem and seismitoad in particular can deal with haunter's main enemies- Mandibuzz and Skuntank
  • Sub + Pain Split is also an option to be extra annoying, as it can strip away HP from pokemon haunter cant ohko from the get-go

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Destiny Bond
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
  • its solid base 95 speed tier makes it an optimal revenge killer, as it is capable of checking the likes of carrocosta and gorebyss
  • though it is rather weak its access to destiny bond and trick make it worth using
  • Shadow Ball is capable of OHKOing Jynx and Golurk
  • Sludge Bomb on the other hand can destroy Ludicolo and slow chlorophyll users such as exeggutor
  • Destiny Bond works quite well in stopping bulky set up sweepers such as musharna
  • Trick can be used to cripple walls such as Mandibuzz and Munchlax

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • The removal of priority users is advised as this haunter is extremely vulnerable to them
  • Sawk can deal with Skuntank and Kangaskhan pretty well
  • Entry hazard support from piloswine helps haunter sweep late-game, it can also deal with Regirock and skuntank, two annoying pokemon for haunter
  • Powerful wallbreakers works well with any scarf user, Samurott and Eelketross in particular can deal with haunter's counters

[Other Options]
  • Hidden Power Fighting
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Taunt
  • Giga Drain
  • Sludge Wave
  • Bulky Eviolite set
  • Choice Specs
  • Hypnosis
  • Thunderbolt

[Checks and Counters]
  • Mandibuzz
  • Skuntank
  • Golbat
  • Regice and Regirock
  • Munchlax
  • Steel-types should it lack HP Ground
  • Pursuit Scolipede and Tauros
  • Mult-hit attackers such as Golem and Piloswine
  • Priority moves from Kangaskhan, Samurott, and Metang can make quick work of it
  • Fast Choice Scarf users with moderately strong attacks

Last edited:

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Substitute doesn't deserve a set by itself, instead it should be in the AC of the Life Orb set. I will list the Life Orb set below, which btw should be the first set in the analysis.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Destiny Bond
item: Life Orb
ivs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD

Basically a straightforward special attacker with Destiny Bond to lure in Skuntank and KO it, freeing its partners from having to deal with it. Sub in AC because DBond already avoids Sucker Punch and Sub+LO is a little counterproductive.

Sludge Bomb > Sludge Wave on every set btw; the extra 5 BP is not worth losing out on the 30% chance of poison. That PSN chance allows you to do a few things like secure a 2HKO on Def Mandibuzz without needing SR.

On Scarf Haunter I would have Destiny Bond instead of Thunderbolt. HP Ground is ok if you can predict a switch to Metang or Probopass, but being locked into HP Ground sucks and DBond's utility is better. I think I'd rather it be in AC than as a move.

On SubDisable Sludge Bomb should be the only choice with HP Fighting and Ground in AC. Both Hidden Powers are really weak in general and regardless you won't have an easy time against Metang or Skuntank.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Recommend: Destiny Bond.
Though sub + pain split is nice.

Choice Scarf <-- to outrun whom? or to simply trick?

SubSplit is actually pretty cool. I even went further than that and used Substitute/Pain Split/Disable/Sludge Bomb @ Life Orb and it was surprisingly effective. You can say it's kind of a gimmick because mono-Poison isn't really that great with all of the Steels, but it really pisses people off when used correctly. It's especially hilarious against Skuntank. I guess what made SubSplit good for me is because of Disable now that I think about it with Haunter's paper defenses.

Anyway, Haunter's a cool mon and I like those sets.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Sorry this took so long, but this is ready for checks. I'm also completely opposed to having HP fighting anywhere but OO. Simply put, Haunter's speed tier is very very sensitive and to always lose the speed tie to Jynx and Primape is pretty bad imo.

add pursuit tauros/scoli in checks and counters to trap it
add an eviolite set in OO with wisp stabs and dbond with max spa and max spe; its basically a more offensive misdreavus
add mons that like when skuntank is gone via haunter dbond such as scarf jynx or even lo dbond gardy
you can add golem and piloswine in checks and counters because rock blast or icicle spear can break its sub while they arent ohkod by any move
put a choice specs set in OO
put hypnosis in OO
put tbolt in OO
mention its great immunities in overview
id make mention of saying how scarf haunter is pretty weak because of its low base power moves and how they dont hit too many mons for super effective damage so it wants the mon its revenging to be weakened before it comes in and the main reason its pretty good is because of the utility with trick and dbond
add all that stuff and qc 1/3

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For the SubDisable set, I wouldn't use Golem as your main example of "mon that relies on one move to beat Haunter", since that one move can and probably will KO through Sub. I'd use something like Seismitoad as an example, since if you can Disable the Water-type attack it's smooth sailing.

I should to call the "SubDisable" set Substitute since WoWisp is really good too over Disable (like preferance I just prefer subwow than subdisable since is just more utility / good lure / less predictable) and same with Pain Split and Life Orb over Disable and Leftovers imo

phantom

Banned deucer.
Sorry this took awhile, but I made the above changes. I'm not sure about changing the set name for SubDisable though.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Set Comments] (Life Orb)
When talking about Sludge Bomb's PSN chance you can bring up that it can help weaken down Haunter counters such as Regice, Audino, and Lickilicky so that the next time they come in they will have a harder time standing up to its attacks. On HP Ground's mention add that it also nails Probopass, Klang, and Bastiodon. When talking about Destiny Bond add that its main purpose is to lure in and bring down Skuntank so that partners have an easier time attacking.

[Additional Comments] (Life Orb)
Add Musharna onto the list of Gardy and Jynx.

[Additional Comments] (SubDisable)
Add Will-O-Wisp as an option over Disable to catch Skuntank, Metang, and other normal counters off guard.

I'm not really sure about Hot N Cold's suggestion of having Life Orb + Pain Split slashed with the current SubDisable since they do play differently than one another. If anything it would mean SubSplit would get its own set, but idk what to think about that.

Before stamping this, does anything else think SubSplit should be its own separate set? Or should we just leave the Pain Split mention in AC?

I think Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp would both be fine in OO with an emphasis that they are actually good other options for Haunter. They don't really fit well enough with the other sets to fit into them without having a boatload of slashes, and they don't play enough like the current sets anyways. Only places where they would fit would be OO or as their own sets, and I don't think they are worthy enough of their own sets.

[SET] (Choice Scarf)
  • Cut the 0 Atk IVs. If we did 0 Atk IVs for one special attacker, we'd have to do it for all of them.
[SET COMMENTS] (Choice Scarf)
  • Cut the mention of checking Carracosta. +2 Aqua Jet gets the OHKO with Jolly Life Orb, and +2 Jolly Aqua Jet has a chance to OHKO without Life Orb.
  • I wouldn't really call Haunter weak either. For perspective, it has the same base Special Attack as Jynx.
Please implement these @Icecream
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)