Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
November 21, 2016 Update: If you have a question concerning Pokemon Sun and Moon, please ask it in the Sun and Moon Simple Question / Simple Answer thread!

If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. Or if you have a question about a particular game such as Pokemon Snap, you can post it in their respective threads instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

Please try to quote the question you're referring to, especially if it was a Yes / No question. It gets confusing otherwise.

At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.

This is already in the forum rules, but I will reiterate again, do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things. Go to the competitive forums for competitive questions.

Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.

Also, if your question concerns the Battle Maison, please direct it to our Battle Maison Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, it's about time the Orange Islands get their SQSA. Let me ask the first questions.

We have a few problems with a few medallions in BW2, mostly because the requirements are vaguely phrased.

Day-Care Faithful: We found out that we have to leave ten different Pokemon in there. Well, we did, but haven't got the medallion yet. Probably certain conditions have to be met but somebody probably know better than me.

Television Kid: No idea what exactly they mean with watching and how many times. Is it enough to turn the TV on and off or do I actually have to read through every show?

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Day-Care Faithful: We found out that we have to leave ten different Pokemon in there. Well, we did, but haven't got the medallion yet. Probably certain conditions have to be met but somebody probably know better than me.
I believe that you have to leave 100 pokemon in the day-care, not 10.

Television Kid: No idea what exactly they mean with watching and how many times. Is it enough to turn the TV on and off or do I actually have to read through every show.
Assuming I'm remembering right from when I got this medal, you need to actually select a channel (I don't think it matters which one you pick) and watch that channel for it to count as "watching television". You only have to do it 10 times though, so it's an easy medal to get.

This is a pretty good reference on how to get all the medals.

Worst 6 Pokemon?

I'm looking for a bit of a challenge here, and wanted to use the 6 worst (fully evolved) pokemon on a the same team in my next play-thru. Only problem, I can't decide which ones are really the worst. Ditto and Unown are clearly top contenders, but here are the ones I thought might be the worst:

Ditto, Ledian, Unown, Delibird, Mawile, Sableye, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Spinda, Castform, Luvdisc, Pachirisu.

Any gen is open for consideration, I'm basically looking for the 6 pokemon that would be hardest to handle a full run-thru, also which version would be the hardest with said team. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sack Sableye. Not being hit super-effectively makes it surprisingly sturdy for in-game purposes. Whatever you switch it in on, it can't be hit super-effectively, something that makes it a little too risk-free to be considered worse than the others.

Volbeat has Tail Glow, which when combined with STAB Bug Buzz would hurt an enemy once in a blue moon. It's coming off 47 Sp.A, but Volbeat also has a surprisingly decent Special movepool to use it with, along with Moonlight for recovery.

Plusle and Minun are good (bad), but if they happen to fight alongside in Doubles, their Sp.A would go into the range of 120. On the other hand, their movepools, outside Electric moves, are also extremely shallow. Nasty Plot and Grass Knot are pretty much the only options you have.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I'm looking for a bit of a challenge here, and wanted to use the 6 worst (fully evolved) pokemon on a the same team in my next play-thru. Only problem, I can't decide which ones are really the worst. Ditto and Unown are clearly top contenders, but here are the ones I thought might be the worst:

Ditto, Ledian, Unown, Delibird, Mawile, Sableye, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Spinda, Castform, Luvdisc, Pachirisu.

Any gen is open for consideration, I'm basically looking for the 6 pokemon that would be hardest to handle a full run-thru, also which version would be the hardest with said team. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I had always wanted to exclude Ditto and Unown from a game run like this for obvious reasons.

The 6 which I have on my "Troll Team" are Delibird, Ledian, Delcatty, Luvdisc, Pachirisu and Wobbuffet.

So you still get a fairly good mix of Pokémon, they are just all generally terrible. Most of the others in your post I have actually trained. Plusle was a beast in Heart Gold, both Mawile and Sableye were interesting, Spinda held its own to a degree (But was still pretty bad) and I found Castform to be decent with good weather support.

@Below: honestly, farfetch'd is the *only* Pokémon I have actively dumped whilst training it on a play through. I got it to like Lv 36 or something and just gave up. It was *terrible*.

Kricketune is THE weakest Pokemon that had ever evolved. Unfortunately, it is also darn boring because how generic its moveset is. Next are the starter bugs, who are still weak, but generally more fun to play with.
In my personal troll team I have Clamperl. It does not learn any moves until 51, but it barely can hold itself with Deepseatooth and Water Gun until I get Surf and Ice Beam. I would give it a try. I find it more interesting than Luvdisc - and so do the guys I swept with it.

@ cobraroll: good point about sableye, I was already thinking of dropping him, think mawile i'll use at another time too, it does have some pretty good atk and moves to back it up. As for Volbeat, I don't think that alone redeems him, although it may, hard to say. Also a good point on plusle/minun, they can be decent, I actually used one that held its own, so they're out.

@ DHR-107: but I WANT to use them for those reasons, cuz they are literally the bottom of the barrel. I just need to find what's just slightly above them. Also, Delcatty is a good one, i'll have to add that to the list, but wobbafet's hp is really good and I feel with it being itself, it would be really easy to score kills with, so I'll pass on him. I also took a second look at plusle/minun, I supose they aren't as bad as some of the others, but I think Spinda and Castform may still be contenders? If there is a really good reason they should't be on the list let me know.

@ Onicon: I've used kriketune a bit, he seems about on par with the other bugs as you said, but I don't think they are as bad as these other ones. And clamperl isn't fully evolved so he's out.

Still on the list: Ditto, Unown, Ledian, Delibird, Volbeat, Illumise, Spinda, Castform, Luvdisc, Pachirisu, and newly added Delcatty.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Farfetch'd deserves an audition, too, I'm thinking. Horrible stats but plenty of charm. Plus, he should get bonus points for having sat on the bench since way back in Generation 1.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hello, I have a question. I was going to battle someone but he told me he uses "legal hacks" what does that mean?
This would probably be better answered up in the Smogon Metagames SQSA, but from my understanding it means he uses RNG and "passive" hacks to train or manipulate his ingame Pokémon. Basically, they are on the verge of cheating, but as you can do it ingame without an external device it's not considered hacking.

Also: I see you also asked it in the Smogon Metas SQSA, they will likely give you a better answer than here.

xPikablu, it means he (or she) uses legal pokemon, but he / she didn't breed them, they are from another source, like Pokesav.

Actually, that sort of question belong to the Wifi section, not to the Metagame section.

Anyway, as said, "legal hack" has the words "legal" and "hack". "Hack" is commonly understood as "edited with external devices" like Action Replay or Pokegen (it is not the correct meaning, but who cares), while "legal" means that even though that Pokemon was edited, it would pass as a normal Pokemon - stats, its IDs, Trash Bytes and other data are all valid.

And DHR-107: PRNG prediction does NOT cover the meaning of "hacked" in the sense of "edited".

Can someone provide me with their Game Sync ID for Pokemon Black that has both Pokedex diplomas and all 3 Battle Subway trophies in their room? I want to use it to do the Memory Link with my Black 2 game.

Not 100% sure this is the right SQSA, but it's my best guess:

I'm training a Shell Smash Cloyster for the Subway/PWT. Is Surf an acceptable option over Hydro Pump, or should I just stick with Razor Shell?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not 100% sure this is the right SQSA, but it's my best guess:

I'm training a Shell Smash Cloyster for the Subway/PWT. Is Surf an acceptable option over Hydro Pump, or should I just stick with Razor Shell?
Surf should work just fine, especially if you're using Truant support, where you can easily get to +6.

You are in the right section, when you want to ask an in-game question - you do, so you're right.

When you want to use it in-game (this section), Surf is adequate. You can use it to move over water (utility) and it is still strong enough to OHKO the PWT guys like Arcanine, Volcanora and Chandelure at +2 without having to use Rock Blast.
Same thing for the subway, although there are Tyranitars who survive your Surfs and Hydro Pumps. Razor Shell is not better because an OHKO is impossible when they are Impish (not crit) and shaky when they have max HP. Icicle Spear does enough damage at +2 to 2HKO them, so you will still use Surf as the more consistent option.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
My White Two team has a Roserade as a valuable team member. It's been with me for a while, ever since Nimbasa (or thereabouts) and I'm not ready to challenge the Elite Four. Its moveset is currently:
- Giga Drain (for recovery)
- Petal Dance (raw power)
- Toxic Spikes (crippling stuff)
- Venoshock (Awesome with Toxic Spikes)

Yet, my team lacks an answer to Ghosts and Psychics, so I wonder if I should get Shadow Ball on it. Should I, and if so, what should I sack? I feel that Petal Dance and Giga Drain are somewhat redundant as STABs, yet I don't really want to give up either. Any help, Smogonites?

If you have both TMs, you could always switch between Venoshock and Shadow Ball if you can anticipate when one will be better over the other. If not, I'd replace Petal Dance. Sure the power is nice, but I think survivability is more important against the Elite Four. Keep in mind anything you replace is temporary, so long as you have TMs and Heart Scales, so don't worry about it too much. Just consider the situation.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
7:30 Japan Time which is 22:30 GMT, which would be 17:30 EST.

Tl;dr: In half an hour. Don't expect to see news before the last five minutes of the show, though.

Somewhat obscure question:

Between the paired versions of R/B, G/S, FR/LG, D/P, and HG/SS, does anyone know if there are any instances where a Trainer(s) has a different team between the pair?

For example, the villainous team is completely different between R/S, and N uses a different team between B/W and B2/W2. Are there any Trainers in Diamond that use a different team in Pearl, and so on?

EDIT: @atsync: Yes, something obscure like that would still count. Even something like a Trainer that was changed between, say, the Japanese and international releases would count. But I don't recall that ever happening, even between the fairly large changes made between Green(J) and Blue(J) compared to international Blue.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Somewhat obscure question:

Between the paired versions of R/B, G/S, FR/LG, D/P, and HG/SS, does anyone know if there are any instances where a Trainer(s) has a different team between the pair?

For example, the villainous team is completely different between R/S, and N uses a different team between B/W and B2/W2. Are there any Trainers in Diamond that use a different team in Pearl, and so on?
Not sure if this counts but how about Lass Aya in BW1, the girl in Nacrene City who battles you with the pokemon you trade her earlier on in the game? Since you are trading a different pokemon to her in each version, she ends up battling you with a different pokemon (Whimsicott in Black and Lilligant in White), so technically she has a different team in Black and White.

EDIT: Ok I think I just realised that you weren't asking for more BW1 examples but only R/B, G/S, FR/LG, D/P, and HG/SS. My bad.

Choosing Pokemon for Battle Tower Team.

Hey, guys. I'm new to the Smogon forums, although I've been using the site quite a lot. I joined, because I seek some wisdom.

Okay, so over the last few years of playing Pokemon Emerald on and off, I've decided I'm finally going to get to a 100 win streak in the Battle Tower.
I've EV trained a large amount of Pokemon over the past few years, and I wanted to know which ones could make a reliable team. Feel free to add new Pokemon to the list, changing movesets on existing ones and adding holdable items:

1. Heracross
Adamant EV's: 4 HP/ 252 Att/ 252 Spe
-Megahorn
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Brick Break

2. Starmie
Modest EV's: 4 HP/ 252 S.Att/ 252 Spe
-Surf
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam

3. Blissey
Bold EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 S.Def
-Refresh (Emerald version doesn't have Roselia to breed with for Aromatherapy)
-Softboiled
-Toxic
-Minimize

4. Metagross
Adamant EV's: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spe
-Aerial Ace
-Explosion
-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash

5. Latios
Serious EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Ice Beam

6. Slaking
Adamant EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Hyper Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Earthquake
-Return

7. Swampert
Brave EV's: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpA
-Surf
-Brick Break
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam

8. Aerodactyl
Jolly EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Double Edge
-Aerial Ace

9. Tyranitar
Adamant EV's: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Spe
-Aerial Ace
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

10. Salamence
Adamant EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw

11. Milotic
Bold EV's: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpA
-Surf
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Toxic

12. Dragonite
Timid EV's: 4 HP / 252 S.Att / 252 Spe
-Slam
-Outrage
-Thunder
-Fire Blast

13. Blaziken
Adamant EV's: 80 HP / 232 Atk / 196 Spe
-Sky Uppercut
-Rock Slide
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake

Those are probably the ones worth mentioning. Please tell me which would make a reliable team. I don't mind adding a new Pokemon, changing movesets and EV training all over again.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)