Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will be barred from accessing any online features, but yes you can play the game without the patches.
By online features you mean the PSS And GTS etc right? Can I still access stuff like the battle institute and Pokemon Amie?

By online features you mean the PSS And GTS etc right? Can I still access stuff like the battle institute and Pokemon Amie?
Yes -- you should be fine with that, it is just online functionality that is restricted. From memory I was doing the pokemon amie thing on the train...2 weeks before it even connected to the net (after lumiose update was released).

Enjoy!

Yes -- you should be fine with that, it is just online functionality that is restricted. From memory I was doing the pokemon amie thing on the train...2 weeks before it even connected to the net (after lumiose update was released).

Enjoy!
Thanks a lot!

checking the battle maison thread i see there are some 'sets' the pokemon can come with, and how people react to each one of them.

is there a place with those sets listed here?

In the OP, there is a list of the high scores in each battle type. If you click on the list of which pokemon were used, it will link you to the post where the team is broken down and explained.

What pokeballs should I use on the following pokemon in HG:

Non-shiny Ho-Oh, Moltress & Rayquaza

Note: I'm prepared to trade over pokeballs from Plat to HG if neccessary

BUT they are about to release support for gen 6, and previous gens will still work until said date (may 20), so theres plenty of time to use its services.

i dont know about you, but having a backup of every mon i had on gen 5 and still can pass them to gen 6 w/o losing the original seems pretty legit to me as you cant interact between those two versions directly.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
On that note it may be possible after May 20th with community effort to set up a private authentication server - there is still hope for saving Pokecheck for gens 4 & 5. Info for the project can be found here. So far only the Brawl and MK communities have been mobilized but hopefully Pokemon will be too.

When are the IVs of the roaming birds fixed in XY? We have encountered them a few times in the wild (not in the hideout) and we fear it might get locked.

This might be a stupid question, but is there an etiquette for posting Let's Play and challenge threads? I browsed through a bunch just now, and saw that a couple have a little note that says "Thread approved by so-and-so". Since most others didn't have such a note, I'm guessing the answer is no, but just in case: should I be asking a mod to okay an LP thread before I post it? Alternately, is there anything else I should be aware of when posting LPs?

Every Pokemon site in existence (including Serebii) claims that Helping Hand is one of Tyrogue's egg moves. Is that true? When we have paired a Ditto and a Hitmonchan with Fake Out/Helping Hand/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch, the offsprings had Fake Out/Foresight/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch.

This is pretty important because in that case a Hitmontop cannot freely switch between Feint (level-up move) and Helping Hand.

This might be a stupid question, but is there an etiquette for posting Let's Play and challenge threads? I browsed through a bunch just now, and saw that a couple have a little note that says "Thread approved by so-and-so". Since most others didn't have such a note, I'm guessing the answer is no, but just in case: should I be asking a mod to okay an LP thread before I post it? Alternately, is there anything else I should be aware of when posting LPs?
Depends on the forum you're looking at, e.g. Tournaments will usually require a moderator's approval before you put it up. Not too sure about Let's Play though.

Every Pokemon site in existence (including Serebii) claims that Helping Hand is one of Tyrogue's egg moves. Is that true? When we have paired a Ditto and a Hitmonchan with Fake Out/Helping Hand/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch, the offsprings had Fake Out/Foresight/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch.

This is pretty important because in that case a Hitmontop cannot freely switch between Feint (level-up move) and Helping Hand.
Perhaps you'd want to give one less egg move on your Hitmonchan parent so that Helping Hand can be passed down instead? At any rate, Hitmontop learns Feint naturally, so after you pass down Helping Hand, you can get Feint as you level it up. :)

Perhaps you'd want to give one less egg move on your Hitmonchan parent so that Helping Hand can be passed down instead? At any rate, Hitmontop learns Feint naturally, so after you pass down Helping Hand, you can get Feint as you level it up. :)
Something very strange happened:

We put a Hitmonlee with just Helping Hand into the daycare. Then we have evolved the offspring (tedious) and forgot Helping Hand and Fake Out via Move Deleter. Strangely enough, we could relearn both Helping Hand and Fake Out, despite the latter one neither being an egg move, nor a level-up move. We sadly missed the opportunity to check Foresight and Tackle.

Now can anyone explain this?

Edit: Bulbapedia says:
Unlike previous generations, if a Pokémon was bred or obtained in Generation VI, Madam Reminder can teach the Pokémon any moves it knew when hatched or obtained but has since forgotten.
The Hitmonlee at hand was born with Foresight and Fake Out, both being LV 1 moves of Tyrogue. It naturally learns Foresight, but usually much later than this one. Fake Out neither is an egg move, nor a level-up move. Both can be relearned.

We think we should clear that misconception. We won't tell people again that Pokemon can relearn their egg moves. They, in fact, can relearn every move that have been born with.

It still does not explain why only two moves have been passed down. Please let us know if you catch a hint!

Last edited:
Yes, we know double posting is frowned upon because you have an Edit button, but hear us out first! We have data.

It still does not explain why only two moves have been passed down. Please let us know if you catch a hint!
The move order of Tyrogue in this generation is Tackle/Helping Hand/Fake Out/Foresight - we can confirm this because we have bred a Tyrogue without eggmoves from the father. Eggmoves have the highest priority of being passed down. New moves are appended to the bottom of the movelist while the first move is deleted.

The last Tyrogue had Fake Out/Foresight/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch from a father with Fake Out/Helping Hand/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch. It is commen knowledge that Fake Out is not an egg move and Foresight was not in the movepool of the father. When we removed Bullet Punch from the father the off-spring turned out to have Helping Hand/Fake Out/Foresight/Mach Punch.

We are pretty confident that Helping Hand is not an eggmove in this generation. By only passing down one egg move the second move from the initial list, Helping Hand, won't be deleted.
Now to the question: Does anyone know how to fix that misconception? The research for the 6th gen is pretty much finished and most sites seem to adhere to Serebii blindly.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Tyrogue has Helping Hand as a Lv 0 move so it can always be relearnt regardless of when it needs to know it. I do not believe Helping Hand is in the movepools of any of its evolutions... It is not so therefore if Tyrogue *never* knows Helping Hand (as in it is deleted via egg moves and then not relearnt before it evolves) you cannot re-teach it when it becomes one of its Evolutions.

I think I am understanding that correctly. Breed the Tyrogue with whatever moves you want, then re-teach it Helping Hand (if it has not got it already) and then evolve it. That should clear things up.

Serebii, by extension, obviously does not realise that Tyrogue and its evolutions are Male only... This is why I have stopped using Serebii as my main source of information. It is highly unreliable. It says it gains Helping Hand from Volbeat... Tyrogue can only have egg moves that are learnt by its parents.

EDIT: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/egg/236.shtml#helpinghand just to highlight to people how bad Serebii is...

Last edited:
I think I am understanding that correctly. Breed the Tyrogue with whatever moves you want, then re-teach it Helping Hand (if it has not got it already) and then evolve it. That should clear things up.
We have stated in the best before the last one that it is not possible. Helping Hand can only be relearned by the evolutions when it is in the initial movepool of Tyrogue. The Tyrogue that was born with two egg moves, thus without Helping Hand, cannot relearn it anymore once it evolves, no matter whether it had it when it had evolved. Only Tyrogues with only one egg move, the ones who still have Helping Hand in their initial movepool, can remember it post-evolution.

We still need one thing to test: 'Initial movepool' may refer to the movepool the mon is caught with. We won't get access to the games until evening, so we would be grateful if somebody can catch a Tygorue, replace its moves, evolve it and see if it still remember its initial moves: Tackle, Helping Hand, Fake Out and Foresight.
Otherwise we will do it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)