1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Welcome to the mentorship forum's Simple Question, Simple Answer (SQSA) thread! If you have a question that could be answered with a single post, do not post a new thread! Instead, ask it here.

There are a few guidelines for posting in this thread:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
    2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
    3. At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.
    4. This is already in the Smogon rules, but I will reiterate again: do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
    5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
    If you have any general Smogon or competitive Pokemon related questions, feel free to ask them here. If your question relates to base stats, moves, egg moves, or abilities, it's a good idea to check out this, as well as the check out the closed research forum (and a past gens research thread).

We'll do our best to answer any and every question in this thread, but if your question relates to a more specific part of the forums, you'll likely get a much quicker answer there. For your convenience, here's a link to the many other SQSAs for different forums:

OverUsed
    Ubers
    UnderUsed
    RarelyUsed
    NeverUsed
    Little Cup
    Past Generations
    VGC
    Wi-Fi
    Random Number Generator
    Corrections & Contributions
    Pokemon Showdown!
    Create-A-Pokemon
    Anime Style Battling

If your question pertains to any of those specific areas, please use those SQSAs. If not, then feel free to use this one ^.^

If you want a live chat with one of our mentors (who may be able to help you out with your question a little better), click this link. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
    Dlekster likes this.
  2. SimplyG

SimplyG

Cripple-and-Run?

Ok, I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure this is the right place to be posting this. If it is not, I apologize. It is about battling and team building (sort of), but not for any particular metagame. If this is not the place, please direct me elsewhere (I'm new here) :/

I'm looking for the best Pokemon to unleash status effect (Poison, Burn, Paralyze, Sleep, whatever), then quickly swap out via U-turn or Volt Switch. Type and metagame do not matter to me, I just would like to know who would be most effective at using this cripple-and-run technique.

Thnx.
  3. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Orange Islands is not the place to ask such a question; here is~
  4. FastFlygon

FastFlygon

There are several Pokemon that could fill that niche, SimplyG. Rotom-W has access to Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave and Toxic as well as a STAB Volt Switch, and it also has solid bulk and a great typing, giving it multiple opportunities to switch in against Pokemon such as Tornadus-T and Heatran and start spreading status. With only a single uncommon weakness, it's very easy to fit onto a team.

Mew has access to a relaible way of inflicting every status bar freeze, and also both U-turn and Volt-Switch in its vast movepool. With Taunt, Roost and a ton of different attacking moves, it can be tailored for almost any role, and it's 100/100/100 bulk is excellent too. However, it does suffer from having a lackluster Psychic typing, which can leave it vulnerable to popular attackers.

Amoongus can learn Spore, the only 100% accurate sleep move in the game, which gives it an excellent niche. It can also use Stun Spore to paralyze Ground-types, something few other viable Pokemon can boast. Though it doesn't learn U-turn or Volt-Switch, it does have Regenerator, which allows it to pull off a "hit 'n' run" style set well. It also has great defenses and a decent defensive typing, with a crucial water resistance that's oh-so-useful in the current metagame.
  5. SimplyG

SimplyG

Okay, thanks for the help, Flygon! I would have never thought about something like Amoongus or Rotom-W as a possibility (although maybe that's why he's so popular). I'll have to try a couple combinations. Thanks again.
  6. Atticus Lee

Atticus Lee

I'd like to ask a question regarding Toxic Boost, Jolly Zangoose.

On the Smogon main site, the Zangoose analysis I see says to use Night Slash in the moveset. Seeing how this is an Egg move for Zangoose and female DW Zangoose is sort of rare, wouldn't Shadow Claw suffice?

I've read other analyses and seen that usually there is an alternate choice followed by a slash (for example, Houndoom's first analysis has Fire Blast/Overheat). Despite the huge similarities between Night Slash and Shadow Claw, it doesn't specify this as an alternate option.

Does Night Slash have a blaring advantage over Shadow Claw? If I were to use Shadow Claw instead, would it matter a whole lot?

Some extra information if it mattered, I don't play a certain metagame level. The NU forum didn't have a "Simple Question, Simple Answer" thread so that's why I'm asking this here.
  7. Shining Kestral

Shining Kestral

The reason to go with Night Slash over Shadow Claw is because Normal-types are immune to Shadow Claw whereas nothing is immune to Night Slash.
  8. FastFlygon

FastFlygon

To add to what Shining Kestrel said, Night Slash is technically superior but since Zangoose can hit Normal-typed Pokemon with Close Combat, Shadow Claw is a perfectly fine alternative. The reason it isn't mentioned on the analysis is the fact that the Smogon analyses are primarily geared towards simulator play, where practicality isn't a consideration. To slash in every not-quite-as-good option would unnecessarily clutter the analyses, which is the opposite if the professional look smogon strives for.

This isn't specifically related to your question, but if you feel like a SQSA thread would be a good addition to the NU subforum, feel free to suggest it to the NU staff on IRC. I'm aware the UU thread was spawned un part due to my own suggestion, so there's a decent chance they'll take your suggestion into account provided it's reasonsble and you put it forward in a sensible fashion.
  9. Jaimas

Jaimas

Is there an active list of what move-combinations are illegal, and what justification behind their being illegal out there? I ask because assembling pokemon that aren't illegal somehow is a pain in the butt when you don't know what's allowed or not, and there's really no point in setting up a team without this knowledge that *should* be easy to find, but has thus far eluded me. Thanks in advance.
  10. mikel

mikel frizy will carry ocn
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

As far as I know, there is no such list. Most move illegalities are due to egg move incompatibility and things like that, meaning a source such as Serebii can come in handy here. If you're teambuilding on Pokemon Showdown! by any chance, feel free to shoot me a question at any time and I'll be happy to give you a hand.
    Frizy likes this.
  11. ThePhalanx

ThePhalanx

To put it more simply, they aren't illegal because smogon decides that, but they are illegal because they are literally impossible to get in-game without hacking. For example, Sleep Powder + Spikes on Roserade. Both are egg moves - Roserade has to get them by breeding. For Spikes, the male has to be a Cacturne that knows Spikes, and for Sleep Powder, the male has to be one of a long list that I won't post here (look it up on serebii), that doesn't include Cacturne. So Roserade cannot have both as it cannot have two male parents.

If you are ever confused, like Mikel said, ask him on PS! or look it up on serebii.net.
  12. Jaimas

Jaimas

Ah, that clarified things nicely. Thank'y.
  13. TrueKite

TrueKite

Why do people prefer Quagsire over Swampert for a bulky water? Swampert is bulkier in every way. Is it because Quagsire has Water Absorb and Recover or am I missing something here?
  14. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Quagsire has Unaware, Stockpile, Recover, and Water Absorb. So yes Swampert has better stats but Quagsire has much better abilities and some useful moves that swampert doesn't get. Also Quagsire is still quite bulky considering both of these Pokés are taken out easily by a Grass attack but can tank a lot of neutral hits
  15. Thorhammer

Thorhammer

Swampert just isn't very good anymore; not having instant healing is crippling for a tank. Unaware also needs special mention as Quagsire is by far the best user of it: if anyone wants Unaware, they're going with Quagsire, and if anyone is using Quagsire, it's because they want Unaware.

Stockpile and Water Absorb aren't significant. The former just isn't worth the moveslot in most circumstances, and when using the latter, Gastrodon is the better option with Storm Drain, having substantially better stats.
  16. wartog

wartog

Pokemon filtered stat hunting

Hey everyone.

I am looking for somewhere to find pokemons by it's moves and stats.

What do i mean, the "moveset type effectiveness viewer" tool, can tell me the best moveset, but, how to find the right pokemon that use all those moves?

ex. I want a pokemón with ice beam, thunderbolt and focus blast, that got enought spA to make it work.

Does anyone know a tool for that?
  17. Quanyails

Quanyails
    is an Artistis a Community Contributor

Psypoke's Attack Type Analysis Tool provides a good check of type coverage with a number of attacks, while Veekun's Pokemon Search allows you to search for pokemon with just about anything in its stats, movepool, type, etc. Don't know if there's one that combines those utilities, but they should work for what you're looking for.
  18. CDB-Man

CDB-Man

Will the BW banlist be updated any time soon? I think these changes have been approved but not listed yet?

• Soul Dew banned in OU
    • Sand Veil and Snow Cloak banned under evasion clause

http://www.smogon.com/bw/banlist/
  19. TrainerX493

TrainerX493

Who can OHKO a standard chansey, both in OU and in Uber?
  20. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

dunno about ubers, but probably any stab physical fighting attack, and most +1 neutral stabbed physical attacks, will do a ton. if you want specific responses, this might help http://honko.byethost8.com/wall_calc.html
  21. TrainerX493

TrainerX493

The site looks great, but it does not work with my 3ds, and to wait to use a computer is out of the question (almost all of my knowledge of the meta game is back when the black2/white2 games where still called pokemon gray and stuff like that, so yah). And I was trying to find out who OHKO and who 2HKO, so if someone else can post who OHKO from the site that can work too.
  22. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude more dogebird
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Ok i got a question if you are creating a thread for a metagame forum does it have to be approved? Or do you only need to get an approval for doing community projects like ccat, mini tournaments, etc. I am a little confused because projects like this http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3474251 have approvals but threads like this http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473408 and this http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468690 don't without them seeming to have a warning.

Could someone please explain to me what needs approvals and what doesn't or is it just safe to ask even if it is something as small as the Garchomp analysis above?
  23. Oglemi

Oglemi <&Oglemi> i am a gay badger buddy :3
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

It's always a good idea to get approval from the moderators of the forum you want to post a thread in, particularly if it's a community project like the CCAT. For example in the RU forum, if you were going to make a thread that gave points to people, you'd most definitely need the approval of the moderators before doing so. However, most small discussion threads, such as the Garchomp thread, do not need approval. If you have an idea for discussion that is not explicitly covered by another thread, it's usually safe to assume that you can create a thread for it.

If you're OP is well written, and the content unique for discussion (without breaking any rules) it's safe to assume you're free to post it.

Just know that your threads will always be 10x better if you discuss with a moderator beforehand on what you want to talk about and how to structure the OP.
  24. lati0s

lati0s

In a battle on Pokemon showdown a red card prevented life orb recoil. Is this the proper mechanic or is it a glitch?
  25. Gahagan

Gahagan

Who should I PM about an error in the strategy dex?

Swords Dance Victreebel's EVs are listed as 108 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe, which adds up to 512, and has caused me no shortage of headaches tonight.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)