1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Koji

Koji

Dual Screener.
    Latias or Espeon?
    Latias has better stats and has an access to Healing Wish that can be pretty useful sometimes, but Espeon has an amazing ability that can't be taunt, reflecting hazards and some other things.
    Please help me decide :))
    Give a set if you're willing. Thanks
  2. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

be more specific, but in general espeon is the right choice... if it's even the right choice to use a dual screener at all.

generally espeon is better for hyper offense teams because as a magic bouncer it beats one of the standard HO leads (deoxys) but honestly most HO teams benefit more from deoxys's hazards than they do from any dual screener

latias is not really a very good dual screener right now because you waste the only reason to use it (its quality as an anti-weather pivot), not to mention it loses hard to most standard leads.

frankly if you want a hyper offense lead you should be using hazards deoxys-D, and if you aren't running hyper offense you should almost never have a dual screener, so there is almost no good reason to even want to run one right now
  3. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Repost: If you had a team of Plus Plusle, Minus Klinklang, and Minus Minun in a triple battle, would each of them get a 2.25x boost to Special Attack?

Regarding Poison Touch, how does it stack with attacks with a chance to poison such as Poison Jab and how do the checks work with an attack with a chance for a different status such as Fire Punch?
  4. SMERBECK

SMERBECK

Quick question, I do a lot of wifi battles so I can only use one of each item. In smogon battles on simulators I can use how many of one item?

Sorry for such a silly, stupid question but I am stuck at work without any access to a public channel full of people eager to help me.
  5. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus

Item clause is not present in standard competitive tiers, only WiFi and VGC. So you could use 6 of the same item when there is no Item clause
  6. OVERGRO

OVERGRO

I have a simple question and seek a simple answer.

When Imposter Ditto switches in and transforms, does it copy:

1) Speed boosts from Choice Scarf
    2) Attack halving from Burns
    3) Attack increases from abilities such as Guts
  7. Coronis

Coronis Keeping the dream alive~
    is a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Imposter copies all stat changes on the target originating from moves and Abilities, but not from items. i.e The boost from Choice Scarf won't be copied.

I'm not sure whether it would copy the attack halving from a burn, but I don't believe it would. But it would copy the boost from Guts.
  8. OVERGRO

OVERGRO

Clarification or 100% sureness would be nice from anyone who can tell about the burn attack halving copying by Imposter. :) Thank you Coronis.
  9. Matezoide

Matezoide

It wouldnt copy any of these things.
  10. Mephisto

Mephisto

I don't play competitively since 2009, or whenever the Pt moves came out. And at that time I came back briefly, just for a couple of months, so my IV Gen experience is quite... limited, and all my experience/memories comes from GSC and III Gen.

Question is, is OU the right tier to start getting used to competitive play again? Or should I start over from, say, RU? Thanks in advance.

PS: In case OU is the right place to start, should I wait till Genesect status is decided?
  11. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus

OU is the easiest to catch on to, it's quite flexible, and it should give you a good idea of the status of the 5th generation metagame in general, so I would say yes to starting in OU. Genesect is now banned
  12. Mephisto

Mephisto

Good to know, and thanks for the answer! Now to see how fast I can adapt to this pacey metagame.
  13. Jean mi

Jean mi

Hi, I'm kinda new to competitive battling and I have a question about sleep clause. When you put a pokemon that normally has natural cure asleep, are you allowed to put another one asleep when it switches out ?
  14. KnivesInAToaster

KnivesInAToaster

I'm new to the forums. Really new. And I'm new to trying to competitive battle outside of the simulators so... my question is where do I start? And how do I start?

This may not be the right place to ask this, so... my apologies in advance.
  15. KnivesInAToaster

KnivesInAToaster

I believe so because the sleep is lifted when the Pokemon switches out.
  16. teekay

teekay

Coming out of lurkmode to ask this, and I apologize if it's well-covered territory; I tried a search and didn't come up with anything.

Pokemon with drizzle and swift swim are banned on the same team in OU. I'm wondering why this same approach isn't taken to allow Excadrill in the tier and keep it in check. Why not just ban pokemon with sand stream and sand rush (/force if necessary) on the same team?
  17. Haunter

Haunter just outplay the coin flip...
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

Because Exacdrill is the only Pokemon with that ability that resulted to be broken in OU. Stoutland and Sandlash are barely usable despite sharing the sand rush ability with Excadrill.
  18. CDB-Man

CDB-Man

19. Coldblooded

Coldblooded

Got 2 RNG questions. I've been trying to start RNGing pokemon in GenIV such as Heatran with HP Ice with spd 31, but RNG reporter says it's an impossibility for anything like that to be found in the wild, only from breeding. Am I using the program wrong?

My second is how would you RNG a Roamer(Like Tornados), I didn't see anything on roaming Pokemon mentioned.
  20. Oglemi

Oglemi it's me heysup's gay friend, the legendary gaysup
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Yes, I've done this.
  21. Kingsaber

Kingsaber

So I am new to the competitive aspect of pokemon, I mean I know about EV training, and all that good stuff, but I was just curious about something. If you are battling in the OU tier, could you use pokemon that were in the tiers below it?
  22. Onicon

Onicon

Sure you can, you are free to use any Pokemon of the tier you are playing at and below.
  23. Dusk Eclipse

Dusk Eclipse

Does Sheer Force prevents switching via U-turn?
  24. blitzlefan

blitzlefan I remember it all too well...
    is a Pre-Contributor

Nope.it doesn't prevent the U-Turn switch. Example: Darmanitan with Sheer Force doesn't run U-Turn for coverage purposes, it does it to switch. XD
  25. BdB4445

BdB4445

I have a question regarding all tiers (except maybe OU):

Can someone tell me from experience if Teams are competitively viable without the use rapid spin (such as the abundance of rock-resist or levitate)?

I ask this because I stress trying not to build teams with the same pokemon, but fail for the sake of keeping hazards away. Like in NU, Armaldo or Torkoal feels mandatory (while I don't like Wartortle). In upper tiers, I'd opt for a magic bounce user, but I'm pretty bad when it comes to predicting incoming hazards at the moment. Maybe I could practice with that.

Thanks in advance.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)