1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Ricky Horror

Ricky Horror

Where do I find better mods then the ones currently here? ^^
  2. cpanda

cpanda

2 questions. I'm intending on using a Hydreigon as a sweeper in OU not sure if I want to use Life Orb or a Choice item

1. How are the IVs on this Modest Deino? hp1/att18/def12/spa31/spd18/spe31

2. and should I just keep breeding and instead use a Timid one?
  3. dice

dice follow @smogmogu for hot content
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

Go to Serebii!

First question: It really depends on what kind of team you're using it on and what role it needs to fulfill. My favorite set in BW2 is 3 Attacks (Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Superpower) and Roost with a Life Orb, but if you need a Scarfer or U-turn with immediate power, use a choice item.

Question 1 (but not really): The HP and defenses really turn me off.

Question 2 (but not really): Timid isn't really needed. In fact, I often use Mild on my Hydreigon since I normally use Earthquake of Superpower!
  4. cpanda

cpanda

Do you think a mixed wall breaking Hydreigon would find a place on more teams than the special sweeper version? I ask because I still haven't figured out a team comp but want to fit a Hydreigon in somewhere.
  5. Elite 4 Maverick

Elite 4 Maverick

I just found out about how hidden powers are determined, and how it's based on IVs. For hidden power fire, for instance, speed IVs are 30, not 31.

So here's my question: I have a Pokemon that carries hidden power fire, and I have 31 speed IVs put into it. Does that extra speed IV get counted in battle, or will I always lose what would otherwise have been speed ties with that Pokemon? Because according to what I've read, a Pokemon with hidden power fire should not be able to get maximum speed.
  6. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

Ummm... are you sure you know what IVs are? You can't "put" 31 Speed IVs into a poke. You can put EVs into them, but IVs are predetermined (eg when it's caught/hatched). Unless it's hacked, then I have no idea. And yes, the HP Fire 30 Speed IV gives you usually -1 point in Speed, meaning you will be outsped by normal pokes with perfect Speed IVs (read this as w/o HP Fire).

A question about in-game mechanics. How does the new breeding work? I've read that it's different (BW1 to BW2) and that BW1 is better, but why? What happened?
  7. dragonblade369

dragonblade369

Hey just a simple question here:

What's the difference between Detect and Protect? They seem to have the same effect while Detect has 5PP and Protect has 10. Does that mean that Protect is the superior choice if the Pkmn is able to learn both?

Thanks!
  8. Manitary

Manitary

They have exactly the same effect, the only differences are the PP and the distribution. You can use Detect in doubles (which don't last long and then don't need so much PP) to avoid Imprison, even if I don't think it's so used.
  9. sensen22

sensen22

Expertbelt Landorus to Life Orb

Im thinking to change my Ebelt landorus to life orb with sheer force ability but still on the physical sweeper side, Earthquake, U-turn, HP-Ice, Stone Edge I know that Sheer Force boosts only works for attacks with a secondary effect, now my only goal is to gain 30% boost from life orb alone everytime I attack and without the recoil, as it said that

" Sheer Force also negates the effects of items that occur after damage, such as Red Card or Eject Button on the defending Pokemon, and Shell Bell or Life Orb recoil on the attacking Pokemon."

rather than the 20% boost from Ebelt which is only activated during Super Effective shots,

If you get my point, just 30% atk boost from "Life Orb alone" not the Sheer Force Boost. Sheer Force is only for negating the Life Orb recoil. Is it possible?
  10. Constantinipple

Constantinipple

no, the life orb recoil will still occur if you dont use a move with a secondary effect.
  11. az20

az20

question:
    i've read the description for the move wonder room but am still a bit confused. lets say that pokemon x has a defense stat of 50 and special defense stat of 100 (not base stats), and uses calm mind. The special defense will now be 150. If wonder room is then used, will the defense now be 150 while special defense is 50 or... will the original 50 and 100 stats switch and have the calm mind applied to 50 so it'd be def= 100 and spe.D= 75? Sorry for using numbers. It just helps me.
  12. Victini Owns

Victini Owns

Why is Shaymin-S Uber? but not Jirachi who has better typing, defenses, more moves to abuse like Thunder, Water Pulse, Body Slam etc.
  13. Malkyrian

Malkyrian

Imagine if Dragonite's Hurricane were slightly weaker, but had the same flinching effect as Jirachi's Iron Head, from a mon with more speed than Torn-T. Now add a STAB move that is not only even stronger than said flinching move, but is virtually guaranteed to give its user a pseudo-Nasty Plot boost unless you switch out, and when you do, it's going to set up a Substitute and get even harder to revenge kill. And speaking of Substitute, this mon can also play a SubSeed set to get even more annoying. And to cap it all, it has Growth and Synthesis with bulk on par with Venusaur, so if you're facing this thing in the sun, good freaking luck.

Shaymin-S was OU at the start of Gen 5, and it was such a ridiculous pain to face that when it was voted on, literally every single voter voted Uber.
  14. Constantinipple

Constantinipple

just a simple non-competitive question; how do i put texts above and below my avatar? ive been trying to figure out but i couldnt find it :( (take jellicent as a example, in the OP)
  15. Phoenix512

Phoenix512

The text above your avatar are user titles which are most likely given by the admins or leaders of the groups (don't know how Smogon does it but either way it's something that most users can't do normally). As for below, just edit your location in your profile to get text below.
  16. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

The text above your avatar is a custom title. Custom titles are only granted to users who are badged or (rarely) who have earned them though other means, such as The Smog's trivia contest. Some users have done neither and have both, but they were either badged in the past or got them when somebody decided it would be a good idea to turn off custom title restrictions for a day...

The text below your avatar is your location. Simply go to your User CP and click "Edit your Details."
  17. qwerty93

qwerty93

Hi there, can anyone help me in putting up my 6 team?
    I will list all my lv 100 pokemon below:
    Scizor Technician ( bullet punch, bug bite, swords dance, roost )
    Salamence Moxie ( outrage, earthquake, dragon dance, crunch)
    Scrafty Moxie ( drain punch, crunch, ice punch, dragon dance)
    Chandelure Flame Body ( flamethrower, energy ball, shadow ball, will o wisp)
    Ferrothorn (spikes, stealth rock, leech seed, power whip)
    Kingdra Swift Swim (dragon pulse, rain dance, surf, ice beam)
    Cloyster Skill Link (icicle spear, ice shard, shell smash, razor shell)
    Jolteon (thunderbolt, thunder, volt switch, shadow ball)
    Latios ( dragon pulse, surf, calm mind, psychic)
    Gliscor Hyper Cutter (earthquake, swords dance, acrobatics, u turn)

I'm also planning to train snorlax, azumarril, breloom, spiritomb and togekiss
  18. Moniker

Moniker

Hey everyone, sorry to have to ask this, but I'm having some trouble finding my way around after not having been here for a couple years. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Gen5 breeding guide?
  19. xPikablu

xPikablu

I was going to battle someone and they told me they use "legal hacks" what does that mean?
  20. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

^That some (or all) of their Pokémon were hacked into the game, but that neither of them do stuff that would be impossible to do in-game. Movepools, stats, stuff like that do not differ from "legal" Pokémon acquired in-game. But instead of breeding for the perfect nature and IV's, and spend hours EV training them and then levelling them in-game, the Pokémon are made perfect from the get go by a computer program. It's less tedious that way.
  21. Moniker

Moniker

Pikablu, the reason they announce it is to let you know they're using hacked, but fair, pokes. Most people that use legal hacks let their opponents know as a courtesy. You can decide whether or not you want to play with them.
  22. Constantinipple

Constantinipple

what do i do after i am paired with a tutor in battling 101?
  23. Jukain

Jukain .leaf
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

contacting them via vm or pm to schedule times for tutoring sessions should work (on showdown or irc I assume)
  24. xPikablu

xPikablu

Oh, ok... Thank you for your reply. And to the one above yours. I don't know how to quote multiple people but I'll learn. Last question, if he had all his pokes with perfect IV's, isn't that pushing the whole legal hacks thing? I mean, I still battled but im just wondering as i do breed so its just bugging me a bit. It's a personal feeling but if its ok here, then its ok with me :)
  25. Moniker

Moniker

It all comes down to personal preference, really. For instance, if you use Shoddy, everything's set at flawless IVs by default. Most people like to use legitimately bred pokemon because it's more fulfilling, especially if they bred some of them themselves.

And then there's the people that blacklist all hacks, period.

Again, it's up to you. Decide what your policy on it is. If playing someone who hacks their team in instead of taking the time to breed, beg or trade for decent pokes in the forums doesn't bother you, then so be it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)