1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

1. xPikablu

xPikablu

Thank you for your time. I really appreciative it.
  2. P2X7

P2X7

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I was fiddling with my account settings earlier, and I was wondering if there was a reason why the change username option was disabled when none of the other options were.
  3. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

We found out that name changes used to cause massive lag spikes to the server. That's why that option is currently disabled.
  4. P2X7

P2X7

Good to know. Thanks for the quick answer.
  5. Jean mi

Jean mi

Hey guys

I have a question that has been bugging me for quite some quite. What is the point of the move heat wave in single when you can get flamethrower and fire blast ? If you want extra power but you don't mind missing, fire blast is the best move. If you want a safer move, flamethrower is the way to go.
    What does heat wave have better than flamethrower and fire blast ?
  6. Shining Kestral

Shining Kestral

It's all about distribution. Some Pokemon can't learn FT or FB, but they do learn Heat Wave through tutoring. Zapdos and Honchkrow are probably the two most prominent examples of this.
  7. Jean mi

Jean mi

^ Yep, I understand about pokemon that can't learn FT or FB but I don't understand why teaching it to pokemon that DO learn these moves. I've seen Heat Wave on Charizard, Volcarona and Typhlosion for example.
  8. jrp

jrp wanker of the highest order

those are just ladder scrubs. No serious player would use Heat Wave over Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Fiery Dance (in volcarona's case)

Also since you mentioned OU, I'm assuming that's the tier you're talking about, and the fact is that no serious player would run Typhlosion in OU... so yeah.
  9. cosbykid

cosbykid

Hey, I am not sure if this goes here but I have a quick question. My friends and I want to have a "lol tier" battle with random Pokemon that I Pokegen'd. I was wondering if Pokemon Battle Revolution accepted Gen's Pokes. I know if I don't do it right, it turns to a bad egg. What do I have to make sure I get right to get past the filters? Thanks in Advanced if anybody knows.
  10. TrainerX493

TrainerX493

Can I please talk to someone who has a account on bulbapedia so they can put in my discovery that I had made onto the wiki so I don't have have someone else to put it in and claim the discovery for themselves (I don't want to edit it in because I am adding and it probably has to be tested to be approved and not just editing something that is already there, and I won't have email available for a long while and that is why I haven't made an account and put it in myself)(even if don't get any claim on discovering it, I still want it to be on the wiki).
  11. shinywott

shinywott

Um. hi I have been serching like crazy for the way shinies are determined by the wonder cards that have a possibility.(example kyushu gardevoir) is t determined by your ID SID or the events ID and your SID? cause the events sid is a plain 0. Also can the shiny charm help in the proccess?
  12. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Slacking Off

I have some questions about zoom lens.

1) Does it work on the switch (ie, if Heatran is in and uses Magma Storm, will Zoom Lens activate if Politoed switches in that turn)

2) Is the accuracy boost 30% or 20%? Showdown claims 20% in the item list, but smogon claims 30% in the item pages.
  13. HoundofDoom72

HoundofDoom72

Tiers and Generations

Hey I'm relatively new to smogon and I'd like to ask a question or questions regarding the exact purpose of the site and the do's and dont's of discussion. I can see that smogon divides pokemon according to tiers but personally I prefer to battle by generation and so I wanted to know if it is permissible to discuss pokemon teams by generation or only and exclusively by tiers. Also, given my preference for generational competitive battling I was wondering how you might go about the process of uploading new move sets for pokemon since they are divided by generation. For instance I've recently been playing with Ruby and have been toying with Absol. I notice that smogon doesn't really offer much in the way of sets for Absol in the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald generation and so I wondered how I for one might help fill that gap among others.
  14. CasebyCase

CasebyCase

Can anyone trade me a ralts in HGSS?

I want to trade a modest(or any nature that boosts SpA), female ralts!

It would be nice if its level is low(or just caught).

I can offer you anything I have in my pokemon white with the story cleared
  15. Onicon

Onicon

@HoundofDoom72 It would be long sum sum everything up but a look in Smogon's Philosophy may enlight you a bit about its cause.
    As for sets for the previous generations it is assumed that the metagame is stable now because it does not change anymore (and probably because it is not as popular as the present generation). When you want to discuss previous generations, go to the Ruins of Alph.

@CasebyCase Post your request in the Simple Questions/Request thread of the WiFi section.
  16. The Gate Keeper

The Gate Keeper

What is Smogen's sever on Pokemon Online? Or is there not one?
  17. Arcticblast

Arcticblast I run with the wolves of the wicked
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Smogon no longer supports Pokemon Online. Smogon's server is now located on Pokemon Showdown! If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.
  18. The Gate Keeper

The Gate Keeper

Why the does Smogon not support Pokemon Online? Is Showdown just better Software?
  19. Arcticblast

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Pokemon Showdown is browser based, more visually appealing, and made for Smogon, as opposed to being made by another party (Pokemon Online). This makes it easier to collect stats and to add new things ingame.
  20. KaiserWilhelm

KaiserWilhelm

Hey, I'm new to this forum and to competitive Pokemon battling, so forgive me if this isn't the right place for this question, but:

Obviously, the easiest way to battle is to download a simulator and go from there, which I do plan on doing at some point. However, I'll feel disingenuous if I don't actually play the games (yeah, I'm one of those people). I know there's the wi-fi option in generations IV and V, but tell me: Is there any in-game stuff that can properly challenge a well trained (meaning EVs, natures, and movesets) team? I'm talking about stuff like the various battle frontiers, the islands in Gen. III, the gym leader rematches, etc. I don't care about the first two generations; I don't have any real way to play them. Thanks a lot!
  21. majaspic22

majaspic22

Is it possible, in tournaments, to use a pokemon with king's rock ?
  22. Arcticblast

Mentor

If you're talking about using your competitive team, there isn't much that is very close to Smogon's metagames - the Battle Tower and similar things come to mind. If you have W-Fi access, there's also the Global Battle Union in BW/BW2 and battling other Smogonites over Wi-Fi, although you need your team to be leveled to 100 first.

Yes.
  23. majaspic22

majaspic22

Are there any item that are ban ?
  24. lmitchell0012

lmitchell0012 Banned deucer.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure soul dew is currently banned in OU.
  25. majaspic22

majaspic22

okay but do someone have the link to the bw2 rules ?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Poseidon The Sea God