1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Formerly Mentorship Program! We're going through a makeover, hold tight. All will be known over the next few days. :)

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Smogon Starters Hangout' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vacate

Vacate
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    The Player Co-Leader

For the personality profile, instead of just putting your personality (which is what I did), it's recommended to post just a bit about yourself, other hobbies etc. Your forum reference just has to be the name of a mod that has given you permission to mentor in an area. That's the format, and yes, it's always a good time to apply to become a mentor. Good luck :)
  2. Magitoad

Magitoad

Hey, I just joined a few hours ago and I haven't had the time to look through this thread in its entirety, but I have a question. What is the policy regarding friend codes? I've seen that some people have them in the foot of their posts and can you just add them then tell them later or do you send a PM to ask them? Thanks in advance
  3. Darnell

Darnell When I leave, I want to be remembered for something.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Friend codes can be exchanged in multiple ways on here. You could use this thread, another suggested thing is as you said, leaving it in the signature and then contacting that person. I would suggest leaving what sort of Friend Safari you have as well, this attracts more people without them having to ask and then deny it.
    So basically... Friend Code XXXX-XXXX-XXXX Type: ____ Pokemon: ____ is the usual format that you will see in signatures. People then either send a PM/VM asking you to add them or you can basically do the same, ask them to add you! For the thread, if you do post it I would suggest specifying what specific things you are looking for from the FC.
  4. $teele

$teele

Anyone know how you tag someone's name?
  5. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

if you're talking about on the forums, placing @ in front of the person you want to tag works, or
    Code:
    [user= their id] name [/user]
    @ Steele without space,
  6. $teele

$teele

7. S17MON/aichmophobia

S17MON/aichmophobia

Okay, I have three questions.

The first question is about the Rate My Team forum.

Well, there is a team I use competitively but it consists of all Ice-types and I don't want to get banned or have the forum locked because it's a "weak team", or get bombarded with a bunch of comments telling me not to go all-Ice because I know I'm putting myself at a disadvantage but what I'm trying to do is overcome that. I'm a little afraid that I might sound like I'm trolling but really, I'm not. Should I post my team on the forum and see what happens or where should I talk about it and get some help on how to stick with one type and still win some matches?

The second and third questions are about where to go to hear suggestions.

I have been thinking about this for quite some time and I have always wanted to make a competitive team with a Meloetta in it for Showdown, and I was wondering about where to go in order to open a thread and hear team suggestions for Meloetta (one full team per suggestion).

The third question is kind of similar. I need to know where to go in order to hear teambuilding suggestions (again, one full team per suggestion) for users that are just starting out (I don't know if there is a thread for this, but yes, any team for beginners). I'm not sure if I'm one of them because I have heard about Showdown for a while and I have already played some matches there. The only problem is that I've been having some trouble figuring out which is effective and which is not.
  8. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony.

1) Sure you can, you wont get banned for having a "weak team". No teams are really weak, you just need to improve it.
    2) PS! competitive Tutoring room are usually there for suggestions for teams, same thing with your 3rd questions.

if you have any problems, feel free to contact a staff, or any of the mentors around ^^
  9. S17MON/aichmophobia

S17MON/aichmophobia

Sorry, I was talking about premade teams or at least how to get started on making them. Besides, I normally don't do well in chat rooms where there are thousands of users at once. I ended up being directed all the way over to the beginner's guides but I think that could help me a little at least. :S Thanks for the help anyway.
  10. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Hi,

I'm looking for someone veteran in HG/SS to give me advice. Where can I find a person like this?

Started a challenge with a few friends for a decent amount of money for a pokemon HG/SS tourney of four. Need a mentor who is experienced enough to tell me which team I should choose, with which moves in which order. I don't have IRC (at work), I think it'd be a waste of time to try to figure out strategies which some of you guys are already awesome at. I already have a few ideas and need the mentor to tell me which are good and which need replacement. It won't take a lot of time for the mentor, and I'd be very thankful!

cliffs:
    -need mentor for HG/SS tourney of 4 (decent winning pot)
    -starting over so need to know stuff like which team
    -small time investment, would be very thankful

~TylerDurden
  11. Air

Air

Best ev Spread for this Tyranitar Set?

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: ??? / ??? / ???
    ???
    Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Pursuit
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
  12. Darnell

Darnell When I leave, I want to be remembered for something.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant
    Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Pursuit/Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

OR

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
    Impish
    Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Pursuit/Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    I would suggest however adding Earthquake and going for Crunch/Pursuit. Both sets are fine. Depends if you want it to be more offensive/defensive.

I'm not a 'veteran' but I know from experience, if you need some help feel free to send me a PM by 'Start a conversation' and I'll be sure to help out as much as possible.
    Air likes this.
  13. Air

Air

Thank you Darnell :3
  14. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony.

Limitless made a article on teambuilding, you can take a look at that and go from there. You can also contact one of the mentors, if you think you'd prefer someone to help you along the way.
  15. xionjunior

xionjunior

okay so my jolteon attacks first he uses thunder wave, they sword dance, next turn for some unknown reason they go first and they kill me even thought they are paralyzed this has happened on several different battles, and still see no reason why this is happening. anyone have any problems like this I also had someone use waterfall on my water absorb vaporeon and he did not absorb it what gives?
  16. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony.

Do you have a reply so we can take a look at it? The first scenario i can only think of either trick room, or Priority move. and second scenario, mold breaker? or abilities similar to it?
  17. Xlstevo

Xlstevo

There is also the chance the Pokemon having the ability Quick feet.
    • Quick Feet - If this Pokemon is statused, its Speed is 1.5x; paralysis' Speed drop is ignored.
  18. xionjunior

xionjunior

ah okay yeah it was a mega gyrados, also i have no video for it, just finished a battle my friend had mega venasaur he went first and killed my jolteon idk how, then i threw out my espeon and espeon outspeed it and killed it. this game really hates my jolteon.
  19. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony.

Can you get a replay of it, so we can observe?
  20. EonX

EonX Rise Above
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

The only thing I can think of based on other information you've given is that you may have used Roar after the opposing Mega-Gyarados was paralyzed. If so, then Roar has a negative priority (-4 I believe, but I could be wrong) that will force the user to go last, regardless of Speed, much like moves like Mach Punch and Aqua Jet cause the user to move first regardless of Speed. Otherwise, I would have to agree with Xylen in that I would need to see this in action to better understand it.
    xionjunior likes this.
  21. xionjunior

xionjunior

Yes i did use roar after their pokemon was paralyzed, it could be the problem, also there was once where my friend sword dance 3 times I used roar but his drapion went first and earthquacked me so Idk if roar got the -6{checked}
  22. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony.

Roar has a -6 Priority, which moves you to the -6 slot.
  23. EonX

EonX Rise Above
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

That's the issue then:

Roar: Forces the target out, dragging out another random non-fainted ally. Fails if the opponent's team does not contain any inactive Pokemon. Fails if the target used Ingrain previously or has the ability Suction Cups. Pokemon protected by Magic Coat or the ability Magic Bounce are unaffected and instead use this move themselves. This move has a priority of -6. Pokemon with the ability Soundproof are immune. This move cannot be blocked by Substitute.

Because of the bolded part, it is best to use Roar on slower, bulkier Pokemon like Giratina (in Ubers) Heatran (in OU) Blastoise (in UU) and Steelix (in RU) as it will always force the user to go last, unless the opponent is using Trick Room (priority of -7)
  24. Galladium

Galladium Banned deucer.

Where do I sign up to be a Mentee?
  25. EonX

EonX Rise Above

There's no real place to "sign up" per-se, but you can always hop on #mentor on SyncIRC to ask for some help as that's where most of the mentors (including myself) tend to hang out whenever we're online.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)