1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

1. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

Do people only do competitive on X/Y? Or are B/W still popular? Or am I off all together?
  2. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony
    is a Community Contributor
    Mentor

BW isnt as popular since XY is the newest gen, but its still played, quite a bit too from what i've heard.
  3. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

Seeing that I don't have X/Y, Would you recommend doing competitive on B/W or PS?
  4. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony
    Mentor

I believe Nintendo stopped wifi for B/w and below. PS! is a great place to battle, plus you dont have to breed!
  5. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Darn, I like the nonbreeding/training, but I wanted to do it anyway. So PS is widely used still?
  6. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony
    Mentor

It has almost 10k users during peak hours and 4-5k during non-peak hours, i'd say yeah.
    Empoleon_master likes this.
  7. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

Other than the Battling 101 program, is there somewhere I could find someone to teach me competitive?
  8. Vacate

Vacate Molecules.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    The Player Co-Leader

There's the Competitive Tutoring room on PS which is worth trying out.
  9. Minus

Minus
    is a Contributor Alumnus

You can also try PMing or VMing a Mentor in said tier and they'll be glad to help!
  10. Busoshoku

Busoshoku

Sorry if I ask this in the wrong thread ><;, but does anyone have knows a best move set for a Dragonite? I currently have a 5IV Jolly dratini with 3 eggmoves (Dragon Dance, Iron tail and extreme speed) and I see that the preffered nature is Adamant. So is it really better to get Adamant over Jolly?
  11. Snaquaza

Snaquaza

Hello! This is indeed usually not the right thread. You can head over here if it's OU or to the Wi-Fi/Battle Spot Subforum if it's for Nintendo's metagame
    Sapphire. likes this.
  12. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

This would probably be better asked here but I can still help you anyways :]

Like you said, Dragonite basically always wants an Adamant nature in order to boost its power. If you didn't feel like breeding again and really wanted to use Jolly, my recommendation would be to go with the Dragon Dance set, as Choice Band and Bulky sets tend to need the power more. A bonus of a Jolly nature is you get to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion at +1, which I guess could be kind of nice. The power reduction is noticeable, however :c

So basically I'd recommend breeding for an Adamant nature, but if you don't feel like doing that, the Dragon Dance set would be your best bet. Oh, and you can find the movesets here!
    Empoleon_master likes this.
  13. Busoshoku

Busoshoku

Snaquaza and LightningLuxray Thank you very much, and I have no problems breeding all over again at all since I got another Adament dratini but need to breed for the IV's ><;.

Thanks again :D
    Sapphire. likes this.
  14. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

Yeah, but I need to learn, like, everything tho. Would a random mentor on here do that?
  15. Minus

Minus
    is a Contributor Alumnus

yep
  16. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

Wow. That seems legit. Could you recommend someone?
  17. Minus

Minus
    is a Contributor Alumnus

What area of the site would you like to get more involved with?
  18. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

I have no idea tbh. I'm verrrry new to the site and competitive pokemon all together. I literally don't know a thing. ;-;
  19. Minus

Minus
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Which tier do you want to learn then?
  20. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

uhhh... I don't really know. Which would you recommend?
  21. MoistTowelette

MoistTowelette

alright, fair enough.
  22. Minus

Minus
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I like the lower tiers because they tend to be less stale, but since you're just starting up, go ahead and try OU!

Redew edit: be nice

Minus edit: ye that was mean :<
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  23. Air

Air

Hi peeps,

I was wondering if someone could tell some pokemon can take the most advantage of the following pokemon being removed entirely (OTHER THAN GENGAR):
    • All Dark Types other than Absol and Greninja
    • All Normal Types

The only pokemon I can think of rn is Bisharp, however, I think there might be other pokemon that could take more of an advantage from this.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  24. Minus

Minus
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I'm guessing this is for OU (which I don't play), so you should ask here to have your question answered faster (since it's more active)!
  25. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Typing-wise, Ghosts probably have the most to gain from those removals, though Psychics will appreciate it as well. Aegislash, the Latis, etc. would be good picks. Also, if you're removing Ttar and the pink blobs, pretty much any special attacker will be thankful. Aegislash and the Latis again appreciate this, but so would Pokemon like Thundurus, Landorus, Heatran, etc.
    Empoleon_master, Air and Snaquaza like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)