1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Mentorship Program' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

1. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

smogon no longer uses an official PO server. while our players play on PO, there is no one server i can recommend to find them there, because our simulator is pokemon showdown, located at http://play.pokemonshowdown.com
  2. Arcticblast

Arcticblast MUH FREEDOMZ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Other Metas Leader

No. Mirror Coat's damage is based entirely on the damage your opponent inflicts on you and is not affected by abilities like Analytic.

There isn't really an "archive," but if you search around for a while or maybe send user Antar a private message, you can find old usage stats.

BW and BW2 are for all intents and purposes the same on the Battle Finder.
  3. SirLudicopro

SirLudicopro

So you mean I can just write my Black 2 FC in the BW section?
  4. Arcticblast

Arcticblast MUH FREEDOMZ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Other Metas Leader

That is correct.
  5. SirLudicopro

SirLudicopro

Ok, thank you! :)
  6. Panda

Panda

If a Pokemon has Sand Veil/Snow Cloak activated, is holding BrightPowder, and uses Double Team once, what are the chances of an opponent hitting said Pokemon (let's assume the opponent's attack is normally 100% accurate)?

I know that a Pokemon with the first two qualities will have an evasion rate of 28% (20% for the ability, plus 8% when you apply BP). In addition, I know that a +1 evasion modifier makes moves 25% less accurate. What I don't understand is how all three parts work together.

BTW, thank you, Acrticblast, for answering my previous question.
  7. Chester

Chester

Is there a specific thread where people can freely theorymon?
    I mean, discuss things that aren't a part of the game, but were in the past, or maybe should have been instead. Like Flare Blitz Flareon, Hypnosis Bronzor (which is illegal in LC), or even Nasty Plot Gengar.
    If there already is a thread, could someone point me? And if isn't, where could I create it for better results?
  8. King Serperior

King Serperior

Eh, I have a question that has me rather puzzled. Perhaps I missed a Smogon announcement somewhere, but I have been noticing a lot of "Mentors" around. At first I assumed it was for mods, but then I noticed that some non-mods with them.

Anyone care to clarify?
  9. Belanger12

Belanger12

Does anybody know:

If a pokemons holding a power item and I put him in, then take him out and finish the wild off with another poke, will he still get the EV benefits of the power item even though he didnt "beat" the wild himself?

Thanks a bunch!
  10. Sensei_Bobbilytus

Sensei_Bobbilytus

Any pokemon that gets EXP gets EVs as well, so yes.

I do have a question that's been bugging me - I always see it mentioned on pokemon analysis that they are weak to "the most common types". Is there actually an ordered list? When I try and make a general, mental list myself, it ends up being half the types in the game that aren't psychic.
  11. BattleStar

BattleStar

Hey KS, yeah there was a annoucent a while ago regarding mentors. Mentors are essentially veteran smogon users who are here to help new people assimilate well into the forum. They can be asked various questions considering there are multiple mentors with each their own area of expertise.

I am echoing the front page but if you want to learn more, here is the Mentor Sub-Site

Also I have my own question. What are speed tiers? How are they made? Could I have a link to a forum thread where it's a uploaded speed article on-site!
  12. Viddax89

Viddax89

Yes he will. As long as the Pokemon holding the power item participates in the battle he will get EV points.
  13. relaunched

relaunched

Can you enter a Black/White Smogon Tour without access to Pokemon Online?
  14. Jean mi

Jean mi

Hey guys, do you know if the "drowsy" state from yawn can be baton passed ?
  15. DEOXYS attack forme

DEOXYS attack forme

"Hey guys, do you know if the "drowsy" state from yawn can be baton passed ? "
    It cannot.
  16. Donkey5

Donkey5

I'm an on-and-off average player that hasn't really played competitively the last year (BW1 OU), but I kinda miss it, so I wanna get back into it.

I actually don't want to get back in OU and want to try some new tiers. I started playing competitively in ADV and ADV OU would be my favorite metagame, simpling because the lengths of matches were pretty long and yet every turn was exciting as fuck with plenty variety of styles and Pokémon. I never felt that excitement in DP(Pt) or BW again, though BW pre-weather was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Can anyone recommended a (Gen 5 preferably) metagame to pick up?
  17. PROFIL3R

PROFIL3R

Hello. So this may not be a simple question or simple answer but I don't know where else to put it. I have a friend who has never been to a VGC or anything but frequently competes in local underground type tourneys. Naturally, being a newbie, I went to him for help/advice. So he uses a combo of Pokecheck, Pokegen and an AR to attain legit-looking, competitively apt pokemon. He basicly uses pokecheck to get the .pkm files, uses pokegen to modify IV's and moves and get a valid PID, then places them on his game with the AR. He claims they are as legit as RNG abuse and would pass any legitimacy test. While they may have passed the Pokecheck legitimacy tests, I am skeptical. I guess my question is; is this a valid alternative to RNG abuse, and why? Again, I am sorry if this isn't the right place for such a lengthy q/a, but I didn't know where to put it as I am still new.
  18. Sensei_Bobbilytus

Sensei_Bobbilytus

I'm pretty sure around the land of Smog, no, it's not a valid alternative even if the pokemon "looks" legit; but I know a lot of players think that's fine and dandy, because it's "quicker and easier than breeding" and just don't have the time/patience/ect to learn to RNG, so as long as it seems legit and you let people know, it's okay.
  19. Zangathan

Zangathan

Sorry if this belongs in the RNG subsection instead, but that wasn't the impression I got reading the thread.

Does anyone know the probability distribution of the random variable, R, that creates variance in the Gen 5 damage formula?
  20. dcae

dcae naughty list

I'd recommend trying out UU, as that is an overall balanced tier that doesn't have pw permanent weather, and gives you a certain freedom of choice when it comes to choosing your team, unlike a tier like BW OU. People tend to liken BW UU to DPPt OU, but I don't think it is extremely similar as some put it. I think it is a very fun tier and I would definitely suggest trying to get into it.
  21. Penguiin

Penguiin

Marowak is NU despite his amazing attack stat due to his thick club. This is partly due to his speed along with lack of bulk to take a hit and attack second. Could Marowak effectively be used on a trick room team? I feel like he would be a beast.

I also hope this is the right place to ask this go easy on me.
  22. Arcticblast

Arcticblast MUH FREEDOMZ
    Other Metas Leader

Full Trick Room is pretty hard to pull off in the higher tiers, and Marowak will still require a good amount of support, but if you can make it work nobody's stopping you from using it. There are probably better options though (Conkeldurr and Eruption Heatran spring to mind).
  23. Arcanigon

Arcanigon

Just a question: what is an "old" thread? I don't want to get in trouble or anything...
  24. Arcticblast

Arcticblast MUH FREEDOMZ
    Other Metas Leader

Basically, if a thread receives no posts in several weeks/months, there's no point in reviving it unless you have a really good post to make up for it.
  25. x42bn6

x42bn6

Why does Smogon use only one letter for forme differences (except Arceus)? i.e. "Tornadus-T" as opposed to "Tornadus-Therian" or "Tornadus Therian Forme"? Is it just brevity?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)