1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Formerly Mentorship Program! We're going through a makeover, hold tight. All will be known over the next few days. :)

Have a Question? Ask it Here! [READ THE FIRST POST]

Discussion in 'Smogon Starters Hangout' started by Jellicent, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Arcanigon

Arcanigon

Oh. Thanks! Also, what about art threads? What's the protocol on them? Like, say if a user's art thread hasn't been updated in a while, is it okay to post a comment/question or not?\
    Never mind.
  2. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Yep. Spelling the entire name out becomes tedious after a while. And, it's not like there is anything that could cause confusion, there's only one Tornadus whose forme name begins in a T.

That being said, it sometimes takes some time to get used to. I always confuse Rotom-F (Rotom-Frost) with Rotom's Flying form (Rotom-Fan, abbreviated Rotom-S in the analyses) or its Fire form (Conveniently named Rotom-H, or Heat).

Out of the Rotom formes, only Rotom-W has the decency to be called something intuitive. W = Water, I get it (the actual abbreviation stands for Wash, but it works either way). I can sort of get used to the others too, though I don't see why we use the names "Rotom-C" (Rotom-Cut?) when its form is called Mow Form (Wouldn't Rotom-M be better?) or "Rotom-S" (can't for the life of me figure out what that S is even supposed to mean).

Gah, confusing! Could anybody explain the logic to me?
  3. Panda

Panda

Gonna bump this. It's been a few weeks, after all. >.>
  4. Mace

Mace

Hi, I'm new here so I'm not going to screw up on the first post =p Anyway I want to know where I should post my training-related questions here? For example, I'd like to ask questions based on IV breeding, EV training, moveset brainstorming, etc.
  5. GOthee

GOthee

I always wanted to how to build a succesful team.There has to be some tips or basic rules when u make a team depending on the style. For exampleIf your team consistes of tanks, you should consider a stall team. But what if your pokes can all fill diferentes roles, what combination should i do, should i use my scarf in this or in this other pokemon, do i make this pokemon more offensive and i make this other faster? .
  6. EvilBeaker

EvilBeaker

i'm fairly new to smogon and competative Pokemon. But when browsing this forum i came across a section were you could introduce yourself and one question was how you were gonna contribute.

I was playing with the idea to start asking players way better than me to explain there though process during a game and using that to try and educate both me and the other new smogers. You think the relatively good players would be up for that, explaining there games for me i mean? And how do i make sure i ask more skilled players? to avoid misinformation.
  7. Electrolyte

Electrolyte Fastest man alive
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

You could and definitely should try hooking up with a tutor on Smogon's very own Battling 101 forum. These tutors are the 'good players' that will explain everything you need to know in order to become a competent player yourself ag competitive pokemon. They could definitely explain to you their process during matches or how to build teams for those certain Tiers.
  8. x42bn6

x42bn6

Thanks. I can answer the Rotom Formes questions, I think - Rotom-C ("Cut Rotom") and Rotom-S ("Spin Rotom") are the directly-translated Japanese names. When the US versions were released, they were renamed "Mow Rotom" and "Fan Rotom" respectively.
  9. M. Rock

M. Rock

Let's say I want to get a GBU Singles team rated. Which would be the appropriate subforum to post it in (GBU, RMT[other], IO, etc.)? Is it even worth posting, or would people just say "lol it's a poor bastardization of OU, it sucks cuz they allow Excadrill, why u tryyin?"
  10. dcae

dcae naughty list

Tell me if I'm understanding you correctly. You mean to ask that if a certain mon can fit several different roles, how do you decide that role? That is a question that honestly depends on your team. Identify what deals with each poke in that role. Allow me to provide an example. Say you have Terrakion and Keldeo on your team. You are wanting to choose which to Scarf and which to put into a different role. Now say you have an RP Lando as well. Landorus is typically countered by Celebi and Lati@s. Now, the choice you can make here is to make Keldeo into an EB set with HP Bug in order to lure in Celebi and KO it, opening up soon for Lando to sweep, and putting the Scarf on Terrakion. However, maybe you have a U-turn Lando, which takes out Scarf Keldeo counters. In that case, you can run Scarf Keldeo and switch Terrakion to a boosting or Banded set. The entirety of this is choosing roles based on your team.
  11. xtreme713ify

xtreme713ify

Is this the right place to request a PMD rescue? If not, can I atleast have a link to a place here that does?
  12. JoshuaMunoz

JoshuaMunoz

Is there an item that boosts accuracy other than Zoom Lens?
  13. Ryanor

Ryanor

Wide Lens, doesn't rely on speed but only boosts a 10%.
  14. Axa

Axa

I don't know if this is the right place, but has Smogon been updated to include the learnsets for B/W 2? Among other things, things like Floatzel and Octillery now learning Hydro Pump aren't in there.
  15. Ophilias

Ophilias

So I was redirected here after asking some questions elsewhere, and was wondering if there's an easily understood guide to where various posts/questions belong. I checked any FAQs I could find, but am fairly new to forums in general and not great at navigating them.

Also, another question about where things might be. Is there any place I can find out which pokemon are in which meta?
  16. Codraroll

Codraroll

The tiers can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/

Also, a quick guide to the various subforums:

Smogon Metagames: Meta-metagame discussion. Discussion of the metagames themselves.
    Tier sub-forums: Discussion of Pokémon and strategies within the specific tiers (Overused, Underused, etc)

Ruins of Alph: Everything regarding the competitive scene in earlier generations goes here. All main series Pokémon games except Black&White 1&2, if you want.

Other Metagames: Competitive battling in other ways than the standard tiered battling.

Orange Islands All Pokémon discussion unrelated to competitive battling goes here.

Rate my Team: Pretty straightforward. Post a team, get feedback.

Contributions & Corrections (all forums): Everything regarding the content on the main site.

Pokémon Showdown: Discussions regarding Smogon's favourite battling simulator.

The Smog: Contributions to and discussion of our monthly web-zine.

Create-a-Pokémon: Discussion regarding fan-made Pokémon. Projects are occassionally started, wherein dozens, if not hundreds, of users cooperate to make a Pokémon to be implemented in a special tier on the simulator.

Smogon IRC: Discussion of the live chat system and its various channels. A great way to get in touch with other Smogonites.

The suggestion box: What it says in the description.

A Forum (usually spelled alternately): Everything NOT Pokémon goes in here.

Circus Maximus: Forum fun. Post games and such. Hard for me to explain, easy for you to see for yourself.

Smeargle's Studio: Where artsy Smogonites post their art. Worth having a look at, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

Thread Cryonics: Smogon's nostalgia sector. Old threads that some found exceptionally fun are archived here.

That should be it. By the time I've written and posted this, several other users might have answered to your question before me. That is called "Ninja-ing". You'll be seeing it A LOT.

At last, a protip: The Edit button is our best friend. Use him instead of double posting.
  17. Ophilias

Ophilias

So from my understanding, if I put together a team and it spans multiple tiers, I post it in the Rate My Team subforum for the highest tier represented in my team, correct?

So, I just started to post and realized I was about to do it in the wrong place. I have a team put together that I want rated. But it is in FireRed. So it doesn't go in the current OU forum. But I'm having a hard time finding the place it does go. Sorry for so many questions, but can anyone help me find the correct spot?
  18. Codraroll

Codraroll

Correct. Though, as a rule of thumb, mixed-tier teams need to be extremely well put together to function. Unless they have a specific job they perform very well under all conditions, RU and NU Pokémon have no place in OU, and not at all in Ubers. Likewise, adding an Uber 'mon to an otherwise OU or UU team would only be detrimental to the team. If you play in Ubers, you play against Uber Pokémon, and those wipe the floor with everything that isn't on par with their power level. A good idea would be deciding what metagame you want to play in before putting together your team.
  19. Ophilias

Ophilias

So I've put together a team, but I'm not really sure where to post it. Not entirely sure this is the correct place to ask, but this is the only SQSA thread I can find that is actually up. So it's an OU team, but for gen3. Can anyone help me out?
  20. Unoriginal Name

Unoriginal Name

Past gen teams go here.
  21. newnew145

newnew145

I just met a team with these pokemon (I guess):
    Liepard @ Lagging Tail
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Assist

Smeargle
    Trait: Moody
    - Shadow Force

I know that this tactics won't works if the opponent has a Normal pokemon (which is quite rare in OU) or the move Perish song or destiny bond, but it's still an annoying tactics. Is there any other way to counter it?
  22. Codraroll

Codraroll

Priority moves would still act before Prankster, and deal a hefty amount of damage to Liepard considering its crappy defenses.
  23. tintinwong

tintinwong

yeah. I met that team some time ago, i realised then that i did not have any priority moves.

Any pokemon with prankster taunt (liepard usually carries taunt)
    Any pokemon that is normal type
    Any pokemon with priority attacks
    Any pokemon with sand/hail (can be removed by opposing sun/rain)
  24. Mijzelffan

Mijzelffan

If I use Encore on a magic bounce pokemon and encore bounces back, does that mean I'm now encored in encore? Or will I be encored in the move I used before that?
  25. Arcanigon

Arcanigon

Two questions:
    1. How do you post a link?
    2. What is a good way to counter Ferrothorn if you have a rain team?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)