Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i can use any banned mega pokemon outside of smogon, thank you
For what it's worth, Smogon's bans are centered around singles; VGC rules specify a doubles format, and none of the banned megas are near as much of a problem in doubles. Still powerful, just not as dominating, especially MKhan (which can't apply Parental Bond to area attacks).

Is my party allowed in VGC14, I tried it on Showdown and it told me I cant because Tangrowth, Volcarona, and porygon-z arent in the X and Y pokedex would they be allowed if they have the pentagon and were breed in X and Y?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is my party allowed in VGC14, I tried it on Showdown and it told me I cant because Tangrowth, Volcarona, and porygon-z arent in the X and Y pokedex would they be allowed if they have the pentagon and were breed in X and Y?
Your team would not be legal. VGC 2014 Pokemon must be one of the 450 in the Kalos Pokedex (Central/Coastal/Mountain). The three you listed are only available in the game via Friend Safari or PokeTransfer.

Your team would not be legal. VGC 2014 Pokemon must be one of the 450 in the Kalos Pokedex (Central/Coastal/Mountain). The three you listed are only available in the game via Friend Safari or PokeTransfer.
Oh ok

Could you guys help me find good replacements for them? Volcarona was a special sweeper, tangrowth and porygon z are bulky special sweepers, could you guys help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you guys help me find good replacements for them? Volcarona was a special sweeper, tangrowth and porygon z are bulky special sweepers, could you guys help.
Could you post the rest of your team? It's pretty difficult to efficiently recommend team members without first knowing what Pokemon will be working alongside them.

Could you post the rest of your team? It's pretty difficult to efficiently recommend team members without first knowing what Pokemon will be working alongside them.
Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 25 HP / 15 Atk / 25 Def / 15 SAtk / 25 SDef / 15 Spd
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 8 HP / 15 Atk / 25 Def / 15 SAtk / 21 SDef / 15 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Pledge

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 15 HP / 14 Atk / 15 Def / 15 SAtk / 14 SDef / 15 Spd
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Thunder Punch

Alright, here are a few tidbits of advice:

I'd work towards learning how to breed perfect Pokemon now that it's very simple this generation. imperfect IVs put you at a reasonably large disadvantage that's very simple to fix. If you'd like to learn how, I've written a guide you can read here.

Secondly, I would recommend against using too many overly frail Pokemon in the VGC format. Unlike in singles, you don't have the luxury of getting hit only once per turn, so frail pokemon are a lot harder to work with. A lot of the most successful Pokemon in vgc are those that have good natural bulk, decent offenses, and have helpful defensive typing to allow them handy resistances to work with. Though we don't have any on site analysis for VGC yet, you can still check out the monthly usage statistics as they are a reasonable reflection of what's good in the tier. You can also check out some of our analysis in the process of being written.

Alright, here are a few tidbits of advice:

I'd work towards learning how to breed perfect Pokemon now that it's very simple this generation. imperfect IVs put you at a reasonably large disadvantage that's very simple to fix. If you'd like to learn how, I've written a guide you can read here.

Secondly, I would recommend against using too many overly frail Pokemon in the VGC format. Unlike in singles, you don't have the luxury of getting hit only once per turn, so frail pokemon are a lot harder to work with. A lot of the most successful Pokemon in vgc are those that have good natural bulk, decent offenses, and have helpful defensive typing to allow them handy resistances to work with. Though we don't have any on site analysis for VGC yet, you can still check out the monthly usage statistics as they are a reasonable reflection of what's good in the tier. You can also check out some of our analysis in the process of being written.
What do you mean? IV breeding is to confusing for me, I tried it and the nature made the IVs not perfect and I couldn't work it out. and what do you mean frail pokemon?

What do you mean? IV breeding is to confusing for me, I tried it and the nature made the IVs not perfect and I couldn't work it out. and what do you mean frail pokemon?
Hi Roberto,

The guide that TheMantyke wrote is really a great read -- 3 weeks ago, I had no idea how to do it. Now, i've bread 6IV parents, and even managed to target the Nature, IV's and hatch my first Shiny pokemon. I will be honest, it can be a little daunting but is really a lot easier once you've done it.

Whilst nature's affect a monster's overall 'strength'/'power' in a particular category you can still get the IV's.

I am not able to explain it more effectively than how TheMantyke has in that guide. It can be a bit overwhelming and time consuming but if you ever need assistance, swing by the orangeislands channel on SynIrc. I'm on there quite regularly and happy to try and help you real-time (answer questions, etc) if that helps.

Essentially, it is just persistence and investing the time but it is possible and does make a difference when you get it all correct. Just some friendly advice, don't start on something with a hidden ability that just makes it a bit harder. We can pick something easy, accessible to you in-game.

If you need any specific questions answered, happy to try and help.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If i breed a pokemon with an egg move, forget the egg move i can relearn it now. But what happens if you evolve and forgot the egg move, can you still relearn it?

If i breed a pokemon with an egg move, forget the egg move i can relearn it now. But what happens if you evolve and forgot the egg move, can you still relearn it?
Yes.

Just bear in mind that there are moves that Pokemon can only learn as a prior evolution. NP for Infernape (only learned as Chimchar) and several moves, including Baton Pass, for Eevee all come to mind.

If you evolve then forget a move that a Pokemon can only learn as a prior evolution, it's gone and won't come back. That is to say, a Vaporeon that evolved knowing Wish and Baton Pass could relearn Wish (since it's an egg move) but not Baton Pass (since it's an Eevee-only move).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes.

Just bear in mind that there are moves that Pokemon can only learn as a prior evolution. NP for Infernape (only learned as Chimchar) and several moves, including Baton Pass, for Eevee all come to mind.

If you evolve then forget a move that a Pokemon can only learn as a prior evolution, it's gone and won't come back. That is to say, a Vaporeon that evolved knowing Wish and Baton Pass could relearn Wish (since it's an egg move) but not Baton Pass (since it's an Eevee-only move).
Thanks, i wasnt sure whether to forget pursuit or knock off on my esca (both egg moves), but now i know ican change if i want is a lot more comforting!

Just to make sure, is Custap Berry nowhere to be found in X/Y?
To my knowledge, there is nowhere to find (or send them) in to Gen 6. Bank will not let you transfer items and when I was trawling the internet for a solution to it's absence there currently is no way.

If it was provided previously as an item on an event, it may be released attached to a future event pokemon. Other than that I don't believe there is a way to introduce it in to Gen 6.

Hey everyone! I am going to buy a 3DS and Pokemon Y and I was thinking if ,before playing the game,I need to download the update from the e-shop.I know one is for fixing the Lumiose city save glitch but the rest are related to trading and stuff. I won't be using the functions like trading and battling.Is it completely mandatory to download the updates or can I play the game without it? As I said I won't be using the GTS or anything (for now) so if I just be careful not to save in the particular parts in Lumiose city,can I play the game without downloading the update? Thanks.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey everyone! I am going to buy a 3DS and Pokemon Y and I was thinking if ,before playing the game,I need to download the update from the e-shop.I know one is for fixing the Lumiose city save glitch but the rest are related to trading and stuff. I won't be using the functions like trading and battling.Is it completely mandatory to download the updates or can I play the game without it? As I said I won't be using the GTS or anything (for now) so if I just be careful not to save in the particular parts in Lumiose city,can I play the game without downloading the update? Thanks.
You will be barred from accessing any online features, but yes you can play the game without the patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)