1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sticky Have a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Fatecrashers, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

2. SSJ

SSJ

Hey everyone! I am going to buy a 3DS and Pokemon Y and I was thinking if ,before playing the game,I need to download the update from the e-shop.I know one is for fixing the Lumiose city save glitch but the rest are related to trading and stuff. I won't be using the functions like trading and battling.Is it completely mandatory to download the updates or can I play the game without it? As I said I won't be using the GTS or anything (for now) so if I just be careful not to save in the particular parts in Lumiose city,can I play the game without downloading the update? Thanks.
  3. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

You will be barred from accessing any online features, but yes you can play the game without the patches.
  4. SSJ

SSJ

By online features you mean the PSS And GTS etc right? Can I still access stuff like the battle institute and Pokemon Amie?
  5. MikeAU

MikeAU

Yes -- you should be fine with that, it is just online functionality that is restricted. From memory I was doing the pokemon amie thing on the train...2 weeks before it even connected to the net (after lumiose update was released).

Enjoy!
  6. SSJ

SSJ

Thanks a lot!
  7. Shion SinX

Shion SinX

checking the battle maison thread i see there are some 'sets' the pokemon can come with, and how people react to each one of them.

is there a place with those sets listed here?
  8. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

In the OP, there is a list of the high scores in each battle type. If you click on the list of which pokemon were used, it will link you to the post where the team is broken down and explained.
  9. Shion SinX

Shion SinX

i mean, the NPC sets they talk about, like zapdos 1 or 2
  10. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

I think the OP has a link to that list somewhere.
  11. cant say

cant say no really I cant
    is a Pre-Contributor

12. Shion SinX

Shion SinX

thats it, thank you!
  13. Ausgirl

Ausgirl

What pokeballs should I use on the following pokemon in HG:

Non-shiny Ho-Oh, Moltress & Rayquaza

Note: I'm prepared to trade over pokeballs from Plat to HG if neccessary
  14. Ausgirl

Ausgirl

Thanks. It's gonna be a pain to trade them all over lol.
  15. CommandurrClowncrete

CommandurrClowncrete

Don't know where to ask this, but will the closure of Nintendo wifi of b/w affect pokecheck?
  16. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

Yes. Wifi will stop existing so no external connections will be able to be made. I am pretty sure Gen 4/Gen 5 Pokecheck will die with it.
  17. Shion SinX

Shion SinX

BUT they are about to release support for gen 6, and previous gens will still work until said date (may 20), so theres plenty of time to use its services.

i dont know about you, but having a backup of every mon i had on gen 5 and still can pass them to gen 6 w/o losing the original seems pretty legit to me as you cant interact between those two versions directly.
  18. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

On that note it may be possible after May 20th with community effort to set up a private authentication server - there is still hope for saving Pokecheck for gens 4 & 5. Info for the project can be found here. So far only the Brawl and MK communities have been mobilized but hopefully Pokemon will be too.
  19. Onicon

Onicon

When are the IVs of the roaming birds fixed in XY? We have encountered them a few times in the wild (not in the hideout) and we fear it might get locked.
  20. Red G

Red G

IVs are not set until you actually fight them in the cave.
  21. Onicon

Onicon

Nice; now we can obtain a ladder-legal Zapdos.
  22. ErynCerise

ErynCerise

This might be a stupid question, but is there an etiquette for posting Let's Play and challenge threads? I browsed through a bunch just now, and saw that a couple have a little note that says "Thread approved by so-and-so". Since most others didn't have such a note, I'm guessing the answer is no, but just in case: should I be asking a mod to okay an LP thread before I post it? Alternately, is there anything else I should be aware of when posting LPs?
  23. Onicon

Onicon

Every Pokemon site in existence (including Serebii) claims that Helping Hand is one of Tyrogue's egg moves. Is that true? When we have paired a Ditto and a Hitmonchan with Fake Out/Helping Hand/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch, the offsprings had Fake Out/Foresight/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch.

This is pretty important because in that case a Hitmontop cannot freely switch between Feint (level-up move) and Helping Hand.
  24. Tortoise

Tortoise

Depends on the forum you're looking at, e.g. Tournaments will usually require a moderator's approval before you put it up. Not too sure about Let's Play though.

Perhaps you'd want to give one less egg move on your Hitmonchan parent so that Helping Hand can be passed down instead? At any rate, Hitmontop learns Feint naturally, so after you pass down Helping Hand, you can get Feint as you level it up. :)
  25. Onicon

Onicon

Something very strange happened:

We put a Hitmonlee with just Helping Hand into the daycare. Then we have evolved the offspring (tedious) and forgot Helping Hand and Fake Out via Move Deleter. Strangely enough, we could relearn both Helping Hand and Fake Out, despite the latter one neither being an egg move, nor a level-up move. We sadly missed the opportunity to check Foresight and Tackle.

Now can anyone explain this?

Edit: Bulbapedia says:
    The Hitmonlee at hand was born with Foresight and Fake Out, both being LV 1 moves of Tyrogue. It naturally learns Foresight, but usually much later than this one. Fake Out neither is an egg move, nor a level-up move. Both can be relearned.

We think we should clear that misconception. We won't tell people again that Pokemon can relearn their egg moves. They, in fact, can relearn every move that have been born with.

It still does not explain why only two moves have been passed down. Please let us know if you catch a hint!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)