Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Serebii, Nintendo has announced a special stream for next Tuesday (August 26th) when they'll make a "shocking announcement". Last time I remember something like that (do you guys remember, January 5th 2013?), everybody was blown away by XY for the 3DS instead of the expected RSE remakes for the DS. But I haven't followed the news ever since and only got back after ORAS announcement. So do you guys who have been following those announcements more closely have any idea of whether a new main game might be coming? I don't think they'd announce X2/Y2/Z before ORAS is out, but maybe Delta Emerald will turn out to be a thing and be released a couple of months after ORAS? Or maybe we're getting a new pokémon Stadium/Battle Revolution or a Colosseum remake for the WiiU?

I know that for now it's only speculation, but a "shocking announcement" doesn't really point to a spin-off and the only announcement of the sort I've seen turned out to be indeed shocking and took everybody by surprise. So is it likely there's something huge coming our way or have they've built up expectation before in that same way and let everybody down later?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Most people believe it to be related to the "Pokken Fighters" short that we saw last year in a Pokemon History trailer that was related to XY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WqaIpWbCckg#t=140 (if this doesn't work, skip to like 2:20 in the video)

For some reason it won't embed. But at the end of this trailer there is something fans have dubbed "Pokken Fighters". It was from E3 in 2013 (I think... Wow I can't find anything solid on when this was even announced, it was before XY OK). This is the only video I can find of it at the moment gabriel

Most people believe it to be related to the "Pokken Fighters" short that we saw last year in a Pokemon History trailer that was related to XY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WqaIpWbCckg#t=140 (if this doesn't work, skip to like 2:20 in the video)

For some reason it won't embed. But at the end of this trailer there is something fans have dubbed "Pokken Fighters". It was from E3 in 2013 (I think... Wow I can't find anything solid on when this was even announced, it was before XY OK). This is the only video I can find of it at the moment gabriel
I though Pokken Fighters was a fake made up by the Tekken fandom

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it true that Cynthia's teams in DPPt are min-maxed with perfect IVs? If so, what natures and EV spreads do they have (I can't find anything on Bulbapedia)?

If a Kyurem forme learns Ice Burn/Freeze Shock, then de-fuses from Reshiram/Zekrom, does Kyurem still know Ice Burn/Freeze Shock or is it like Rotom and forgets it?

Does anyone know how to modify experience grow on cart or rom? I want to see how black and white feel without the possibility to grind and so on...
Thanks in advance, PM me if you want to give me a link, as that might not be allowed here :)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Does anyone know how to modify experience grow on cart or rom? I want to see how black and white feel without the possibility to grind and so on...
Thanks in advance, PM me if you want to give me a link, as that might not be allowed here :)
This is based off of what I heard, so take this with a grain of salt.
On a rom you don't get any experience. This was done as an anti piracy thing, but it took only six hours for people to make a cheat code that disabled this.

However, if you want Exp from trainers and no Exp from wild Pokemon, I don't know of any way to do this, but I'm very far from an expert on the subject. I recommend running from every wild Pokemon if you're okay with it.

I'm not sure if this deserves to be placed in this thread, but I just saw this popping out on a group page on facebook. Anyone know what that icon means when it appears in your PSS?

This is based off of what I heard, so take this with a grain of salt.
On a rom you don't get any experience. This was done as an anti piracy thing, but it took only six hours for people to make a cheat code that disabled this.

However, if you want Exp from trainers and no Exp from wild Pokemon, I don't know of any way to do this, but I'm very far from an expert on the subject. I recommend running from every wild Pokemon if you're okay with it.
Unfortunately I do get experience on the ROM and I would have preferred to play on cart anyway.
Nevertheless after some more attempts to search for it, I found a code to set Experience gain to zero.

Also this will be a no Exp run, so I needed a general solution that works for trainer battles as well.
No Exp forces you to explore the Pokemon fauna a bit more than usual and that´s what I like on a first play through.

I'm not sure if this deserves to be placed in this thread, but I just saw this popping out on a group page on facebook. Anyone know what that icon means when it appears in your PSS?
In the comments it is stated that this might be a hint that you got in contact with a hacker. It´s annoying that there seems to be a new cheating device for the 3DS already, the peaceful times are gone again

Last edited:
Power Saver was updated with all items available from all gens, which means Gems are back there. According to a Japanese source, they intend to update it next week with support to changing nature. Changing IVs will be a matter of time, since there IS already a device that changes that. Safe times are gone.

EDIT: The IV code works, but only for IV 0. It'll be a matter of time, though.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Power Saver was updated with all items available from all gens, which means Gems are back there. According to a Japanese source, they intend to update it next week with support to changing nature. Changing IVs will be a matter of time, since there IS already a device that changes that. Safe times are gone.

EDIT: The IV code works, but only for IV 0. It'll be a matter of time, though.
I fail to see why this is bad.

Is there any real reason to use Grass types on a Sunny Day team (Singles)? I figured they were okay since there was virtually no difference when it came to taking Fire attacks. My Grass types usually got KO'ed instantly with or without Intense Sunlight, but at least they could utilize the weather in some form before biting the dust. The biggest impacts that have effects seem to only be Chlorophyll, Growth, and instant-fire Solarbeam. Granted, there happens to be Solar Power, Harvest, and Synthesis and Cherrim as useful niches. But I feel as if those perks are either not distributed well on Grass types or they are somewhat gimmicky on in game teams.

Adding on to this, can someone explain the benefits of Grassy Terrain. Mainly on how one can use the move and gain the most out of it. Should it be taught to a frail support Pokémon that can get it out fast or does it benefit from slow and bulky setters that may find use for the move themselves? All of the listed effects sound amazing on paper, but to me I feel as if the move can only be useful on Grass types in their comfortable environment; whenever they are taking on Ground types. Against their enemies; Fire, Ice, and mainly Flying types, my buffed Grass Pokémon are still usually OHKO'ed either before leaving a scratch on their opponent. Even if they survived one hit, a STAB Grass attack coming from an offensive Pokémon would cause almost the same or less damage than hitting with a super-effective coverage move. I'm not saying that it is worse than useless, but is it worth setting up when the only downsides appear to be spending one turn to set up and having your opponent heal as well?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hi, atm I'm playing around a little in Platinum's Battle Frontier and I'm training some mons to build a good team for the Tower. Could anybody who was around then tell me if Scizor and Metagross somewhat pull their weight there? (and in Scizor's case, whether I should max out HP or Speed, I've never really liked to solely rely on BP for attacking, but on the other hand its Speed is kinda beyond saving. For reference, the mons I'm training/have already trained right now are Garchomp, Suicune, Gengar, Infernape, Salamence, Blissey, and Starmie, also planning on Tyranitar; everything has optimal natures but no optimal IVs because I can't RNG)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi, atm I'm playing around a little in Platinum's Battle Frontier and I'm training some mons to build a good team for the Tower. Could anybody who was around then tell me if Scizor and Metagross somewhat pull their weight there? (and in Scizor's case, whether I should max out HP or Speed, I've never really liked to solely rely on BP for attacking, but on the other hand its Speed is kinda beyond saving. For reference, the mons I'm training/have already trained right now are Garchomp, Suicune, Gengar, Infernape, Salamence, Blissey, and Starmie, also planning on Tyranitar; everything has optimal natures but no optimal IVs because I can't RNG)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-frontier-and-dp-battle-tower-records.52858/

Here's the DPPt/HGSS Battle Frontier thread. The best ranking team with Scizor is by DrDimentio.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ttle-tower-records.52858/page-41#post-2175146

He uses max HP Scizor. The team also features Garchomp, so it is likely a good starting place for you. Gardevoir and Gallade are capable of replacing Uxie (Memento/Trick/Thunder Wave), but they don't have access to SR.

This may not qualify as a simple question due to the potential breadth of it, but how should one decide how to allocate EVs on Pokemon with imperfect IVs? Say, if you have a cartridge game that you play more casually (i.e., don't sink hours into breeding), but still want that edge against your friends. I can't resort to the popular/recommended EV spreads without modification, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This may not qualify as a simple question due to the potential breadth of it, but how should one decide how to allocate EVs on Pokemon with imperfect IVs? Say, if you have a cartridge game that you play more casually (i.e., don't sink hours into breeding), but still want that edge against your friends. I can't resort to the popular/recommended EV spreads without modification, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.
I use the Showdown! Damage Calculator for stuff like that. You can input everything from level to IVs and EVs, and it will tell you what your Pokemon's stats will be. So if you find out what all the random IVs are of your 'mon (can use Serebii's IV calculator for that) then you can figure out how many EVs you will need to reach a certain benchmark you may have in mind. That being said, if you're just playing casually you will almost always be better off with the plain and simple 252 / 252 spreads

Thanks. I guess if I had a Pokemon with decent but not perfect IVs that I wanted to make sort of semi-competitive, what I'd need to do is look at the stats of other competitive Pokemon and set stat benchmarks according to, for example, what I wanted to out-speed, two-shot/one-shot, etc., right? Are there any general pointers I could follow for deciding what to sacrifice/prioritize for different things, given more limited stat growth (e.g., of the EVs used for a tanky physical attacker, just for instance, which stat is it generally more important to meet certain benchmarks in, and what stat(s) should I steal EVs from (as given on a fully competitive spread) to reach it)? Or is it way too case-by-case to state even general rules?

As for 252/252 spreads, may I ask why?

Thanks. I guess if I had a Pokemon with decent but not perfect IVs that I wanted to make sort of semi-competitive, what I'd need to do is look at the stats of other competitive Pokemon and set stat benchmarks according to, for example, what I wanted to out-speed, two-shot/one-shot, etc., right? Are there any general pointers I could follow for deciding what to sacrifice/prioritize for different things, given more limited stat growth (e.g., of the EVs used for a tanky physical attacker, just for instance, which stat is it generally more important to meet certain benchmarks in, and what stat(s) should I steal EVs from (as given on a fully competitive spread) to reach it)? Or is it way too case-by-case to state even general rules?

It's easiest to max out the Pokemon's two most important stats than to try and spread it out over three or more. It's really too broad to give general rules in all honesty. You need to know WHAT you want your Pokemon to do and what's available to it first before you can even consider spreads. Some are dead obvious, like Gengar should never be anything but 252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed because its other stats are horrible. (the last four/six don't really matter at lv 50 and don't help much at lv 100) Others aren't so clear.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Like Detective Barricade already said, competitive or casual, it's usually best to max out a Pokemon's two most important stats (ie: an offensive stat and either speed for a fast 'mon or HP for a slow bulky attacker). In competitive play it is common to aim for a certain speed 'tier' so that you still outspeed what you need to and than you can use the extra EVs to improve bulk (usually extra HP) or put it into it's lesser used offensive stat if you are using a mixed attacker. Like I said, if you want to get really specific with EVs you'd need to know the exact values of your 'random' IVs, which sounds like you'd be taking casual battling way too seriously anyway, in which case I would seriously suggest just taking the time to breed flawless 'mons as it's really easy this generation.

If you'd like some more advice on the subject, feel free to PM me as Orange Islands isn't the place to discuss competitive battling (not sure where 'casually between friends' falls tbh), or message a mod and they could point you in the right direction

Thanks, both of you, I appreciate the explanation. My rationale is that from the standpoint of immersion in an rpg/virtual pet video game, I kind of hate the idea of either replacing my starter or my legendaries (and some others like my first catch) outright or relegating them to obsolescence. But there's still a desire to compete with friends and acquaintances within these parameters.

If or when I'm in need of further advice, I'll take you up on that offer and drop you a message. :)

Thanks, both of you, I appreciate the explanation. My rationale is that from the standpoint of immersion in an rpg/virtual pet video game, I kind of hate the idea of either replacing my starter or my legendaries (and some others like my first catch) outright or relegating them to obsolescence. But there's still a desire to compete with friends and acquaintances within these parameters.

If or when I'm in need of further advice, I'll take you up on that offer and drop you a message. :)
Well if you started with Froakie, you're going to have to replace it. Protean is far too good of an ability for even a not all that competitive Greninja to pass up on. Getting STAB on everything is really helpful when you're only boosting move...is Power-Up Punch. It hurts to have to set aside your Hall of Fame team because competitively they're all awful including ones that would be deemed Uber otherwise. (I used an Aegislash for my X play through. Probably one of my new favorite Steel or Ghost types) So I commend you for at least trying to make due with what you have rather than out and out tossing or leaving them in a Poke Bank box to gather dust. (you can take my Katie when you pry her from my cold dead hands, not that anyone would want a Jolly female Cute Charm Sylveon with no Defense whatsoever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)