Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hacked Pokemon cannot corrupt your save file no matter how badly they are, especially if it is PKhex or PowerSave (which just edits the existing data). Bad Egg has been patched as far as I know.
Alright, thank you very much for clearing things up for me. Much appreciated!

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there any way to get final gambit on Smeargle? I'm trying to SR a suicune, and I don't have access to the starly line. Any ideas?
I can't guarantee that it'll work 100%, but I might have an idea:
  • If you're playing on X&Y, I'd recommend you try doing this during a Triple Battle at one of the Lumiose Restaurants
  • If you're playing on ΩRαS, I'd recommend you try doing this during a Triple Battle at the Mauville Restaurant
  • You'll need your Smeargle with Sketch placed on the left side of the field (first place in your team)
  • Optional: You might want to let your Smeargle hold a Full Incense (can be bought at the shop in Slateport) or a Lagging Tail (wild Slowpokes carry this with a chance of 5%) to ensure that it moves last.
  • You'll need your Pokémon with Final Gambit in the middle of the field (second place in your team)
  • You'll need a random third Pokémon with Protect on the right side of the field (third place in your team)
Once you got these preparations set up, you should try the following:
  1. Use Sketch with your Smeargle and target the Pokémon with Final Gambit in the middle.
  2. Use Final Gambit on the Pokémon on the right side of the field.
  3. Use Protect with the Pokémon on the right side of the field so that Final Gambit will fail.
Since your Pokémon in the middle wanted to use Final Gambit, but didn't faint due to it having failed, your Smeargle can sketch it.

Let me know if it worked.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I can't guarantee that it'll work 100%, but I might have an idea:
  • If you're playing on X&Y, I would recommend you try this during a Triple Battle at one of the Lumiose Restaurants
  • If you're playing on ORAS, I would recommend you try this during a Triple Battle at the Mauville Restaurant
  • You will need your Smeargle with Sketch placed on the left side of the field (first place in your team)
  • Optional: You might want to let your Smeargle hold a Full Incense (can be bought at the shop in Slateport) or a Lagging Tail (Wild Slowpokes carry this with a chance of 5%) to ensure it moves last.
  • You will need your Pokémon with Final Gambit in the middle of the field (second place in your team)
  • You will need a random third Pokémon with Protect on the right side of the field (third place in your team)
Once you got the preparations done, you should try the following:
  1. Use Sketch with your Smeargle and target the Pokémon with Final Gambit in the middle.
  2. Use Final Gambit on the Pokémon on the right side of the field.
  3. Use Protect with the Pokémon on the right side of the field so that Final Gambit will fail.
Since your Pokémon in the middle wanted to use Final Gambit, but didn't faint due to it having failed, your Smeargle can sketch it.

Let me know if it worked.
Good luck!

Best greetings.
Thanks a lot for the response! I actually went to bulbapedia and looked up the mechanics of it and figured that out. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help regardless though!

That is exactly why this place exists, yes.
Ok, I remember walking into the grass on Pokemon Leafgreen when I was younger and this text box appears on the bottom of the screen and it says "rattatatata!" This is what Rattata says but how do I get this to appear again, I searched the web and couldn't find anything...

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Thanks a lot for the response! I actually went to bulbapedia and looked up the mechanics of it and figured that out. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help regardless though!
Sure thing. Helping out fellow trainers is one of the main reasons I joined this community.
It's like the first Pokémon theme says, "You teach me and I'll teach you".

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
How compatible are pokemon X and Y with the ORAS games like what can you do and not do?
You can trade and battle between X&Y and ΩRαS and even the GTS works across the versions.
The only thing that doesn't work are the ΩRαS-exclusive Megastones and Hoopas-Unbound form.
Other than that I can't think of anything else.

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
what purpose does giving tips in XY have?
I'm not quite sure if there is any truth to it, but there used to be rumors that, by giving generous tips, you'd slightly raise your chances of encountering wild shiny Pokémon.
Again, I highly doubt that it's true, I only read about this a couple of times.
I never really tested it myself.

Last edited:
So I went to Game (UK) yesterday to pick up a Mew code for ORAS, and the guy serving me said they were going to be giving away a different Pokemon every month for the rest of 2016. I've never heard this before and I can't find anything about it online. Is there any truth to this or was the guy just mistaken?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I went to Game (UK) yesterday to pick up a Mew code for ORAS, and the guy serving me said they were going to be giving away a different Pokemon every month for the rest of 2016. I've never heard this before and I can't find anything about it online. Is there any truth to this or was the guy just mistaken?
Correct. They're giving out Mythicals every month for the rest of the year.

The official Pokemon site has more info somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.pokemon20.com/en-us/mythical.html

Last edited:
Rate my Emerald Battle Tower team, please. It ultimately may not mean much against RNGesus, but I try.

Smearlge
Nature: Jolly
Item: Salac Berry
96 HP/120 Def/40 SpD/252 Spe
- Endure
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
The lead. There are three use cases:
1.) Faster Opponent: Endure for Salac Boost, and then Spore. That sleep will last a minimum of 2 turns, including the turn they've been put to sleep. So I do one SD and pass the boost to Gyarados.
2.) Slower Opponent: Spore, SD, and then Baton Pass. Depending on which Pokemon it is, I may endure for the extra speed boost or just pass after one boost. I'll be looking at a reference of Pokemon sets, and if I know they're not likely to use a damaging move on the turn they wake up, just pass without taking my chances with Endure.
3.) Early Bird leads: they are all faster than Smeargle, and are likely to attack, so just Endure, Spore, then pass. If it's a flying-type, I pass to Jolteon and kill them. Jolt can still pass later in the match if need be, and Gyarados will still get his speed boost. Not a power boost, but dry CB Gyarados is already pretty strong.

Gyarados
Nature: Naughty
Item: Choice Band
68 HP/252 Atk/188 Spe
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power (Flying)
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
The recipient of the BP boosts. I've played him in the other facilities without Smeargle, and he's still a wrecking ball. So, with one SD boost, and a speed boost that makes him faster than any Pokemon on the game, he'll just sweep teams. Hydro Pump is for Donphan and Claydol, EQ does more damage to Rhydon and is more reliable. CB Salamence is for tryhards.

Jolteon
Nature: Timid
Item: Leftovers
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Baton Pass
Best dogmon and best partner for Gyarados. They can switch into and eliminate each others weaknesses. Before the massive power creep in later gens, unboosted STAB Thunderbolt from 110 Base SpA was pretty good, and it OHKOs and 2HKOS a lot of Frontier Pokemon. With him in the lead @ Lum Berry, he could sweep through most of the Battle Arena on the way to the Gold Medal.

Rate my Emerald Battle Tower team, please. It ultimately may not mean much against RNGesus, but I try.

Smearlge
Nature: Jolly
Item: Salac Berry
96 HP/120 Def/40 SpD/252 Spe
- Endure
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
The lead. There are three use cases:
1.) Faster Opponent: Endure for Salac Boost, and then Spore. That sleep will last a minimum of 2 turns, including the turn they've been put to sleep. So I do one SD and pass the boost to Gyarados.
2.) Slower Opponent: Spore, SD, and then Baton Pass. Depending on which Pokemon it is, I may endure for the extra speed boost or just pass after one boost. I'll be looking at a reference of Pokemon sets, and if I know they're not likely to use a damaging move on the turn they wake up, just pass without taking my chances with Endure.
3.) Early Bird leads: they are all faster than Smeargle, and are likely to attack, so just Endure, Spore, then pass. If it's a flying-type, I pass to Jolteon and kill them. Jolt can still pass later in the match if need be, and Gyarados will still get his speed boost. Not a power boost, but dry CB Gyarados is already pretty strong.

Gyarados
Nature: Naughty
Item: Choice Band
68 HP/252 Atk/188 Spe
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power (Flying)
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
The recipient of the BP boosts. I've played him in the other facilities without Smeargle, and he's still a wrecking ball. So, with one SD boost, and a speed boost that makes him faster than any Pokemon on the game, he'll just sweep teams. Hydro Pump is for Donphan and Claydol, EQ does more damage to Rhydon and is more reliable. CB Salamence is for tryhards.

Jolteon
Nature: Timid
Item: Leftovers
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Baton Pass
Best dogmon and best partner for Gyarados. They can switch into and eliminate each others weaknesses. Before the massive power creep in later gens, unboosted STAB Thunderbolt from 110 Base SpA was pretty good, and it OHKOs and 2HKOS a lot of Frontier Pokemon. With him in the lead @ Lum Berry, he could sweep through most of the Battle Arena on the way to the Gold Medal.
Hmm... this actually looks pretty solid. Couple of suggestions:
1. Put the Lum berry back on Jolteon. He doesn't have the defense to tank and recover hits, so using him as a status blocker will be more fruitful.

2. Consider using Substitute. I don't know which pokemon you should use it on, you've got a bit of 4MSS going on, but it doubles as a status blocker and you can baton pass it. It might be worth dropping endure, but then again endure seems pretty critical to your Smeargle set.

3. Evasion counter. Yeah, what will probably kill your run is some shmuck using bright powder and Double Team. You'll probably be fine for the Gold Medal, but past that this will be a problem. Someone might want to pack Ariel Ace (the main reason Salamance is popular on Emerald Tower Teams). Wish Gyarados could learn it.

4. Taunt counter. Not really a move change, just be wary of it.

What differences were there other than game specific pokemon between the European/American versions of Pokemon Blue and Red?
That's it! It was the first game ever, and in 1996 no less. Plus it was also about the first game ever to start the "one game, two versions" shtick. So don't expect, like, the changes between Black and White versions.

Now Yellow has a lot more changes than Red or Blue, a LOT more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)